Start by marking “Tribal Affairs” as Want to Read:

Tribal Affairs

Dahlia, a centuries old genie, lies hopelessly trapped in a damaged golden locket charm attached to an ankle bracelet. Its owner, sixteen-year-old Liana, wears it for the first time during her father Jamison’s opening night illusion spectacular. Not only does its presence cause Jamison to folly his performance, but it also starts a chain of bizarre events that lead to a sh ...more
Published July 31st 2017 by Matt Dallmann

To ask other readers questions about Tribal Affairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribal Affairs

Megan
I thought this was an interesting novel, though not what I had expected. In the beginning, I was confused with the switching narration and trying to understand what was going on. It became more clear what was happening the more I read, but I never fully connected with any of the characters. Still, this was a entertaining story and one I'm glad to have read. If you enjoy YA fantasy, and the description sounds good to you, I think you should give it a read.
Gayathri
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Read the full review at Musings Over Nothing

The story alternates between the tale of Dahlia and Liana, a genie and a teenager in the present. The shift in the story was kinda abrupt and hard to grasp initially, but later on, it becomes better. The conversations and the writing style is easy to follow, given that it is primarily aimed at the YA crowd. But Tribal Affairs might suit to all age group alike.

There are a few moments in the story that you might feel outta place if you had jumped in thin
Cheryl
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just love when a book exceeds my expectations. This book is solid. At first glance when you read this book summary, you may think "fantasy". Yet, this book is more than just "fantasy". It kind of dealt some into the mental psyche as well.

Liana and Taffi were great main characters. They were relatable and engaging. Both the young and adult readers will enjoy this book. Plus, the other characters and locations that Liana and Taffi met and visited along the way were cool. There was more to Liana
Haddie Harper
I received a complimentary copy of this book for honest review.

Tribal Affairs was different than what I usually read. And what I mean by that is the style of writing. It's told 'fly on the wall' style (third POV), but in the present-tense. That's amazing. Few authors write this way, and when I find them, I always love it. Liana was well thought out, Dahlia was fascinating. The way Dahlia projected her emotions to Liana was awe-striking. Very well written. Easy to read and understand.
Deborah
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I won the paperback of this book in a competition I entered because I was intrigued by the idea of a story involving genies. The tale starts with Dahlia, a genie trapped inside a locket. Unsuspecting Liana wears the locket around her ankle, as did her now deceased mother.
When Liana starts seeing a mischievous young lad nobody else can see, both she and her father worry she is falling mentally ill, just like her mother.
But Taffi isn’t a figment of her imagination; he’s a genie. I won’t go into a
Amy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tribal Affairs tells the story of fantasy, magic and genies. Dahlia, a genie who finds herself locked away in a locket that teenager Liana now possesses. This locket causes a ripple effect for many of the characters within the book. Especially, for Liana and Taffi, the son of Dahlia's enemy, Stefan.

Even thought it is not my normal genre I read, I thought Tribal Affairs was a pretty good book. There is a few main elements of all things I love to read in a story: mystery, suspense, history, roman
Samah Rifla
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and simply written. Loved the characters and how the actions were described. The travel between past and future was so smooth and not forced.
Amy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I found Tribal Affairs by Matt Dallmann to be a rather surprising read. It was very different from what I’d been expecting. It had an attention-grabbing premise and the genie mythology was well described. I liked how we got the story from the genie Dahlia’s perspective- which was very unique since she was trapped in a locket. I was interested in the mystery of Dahlia’s past, and learning how she ended up trapped in the locket in the first place. Liana and Taffi had a different and sometimes amus ...more
Vithya
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5🌟

“A huge shoutout to the author for sending a paperback all the way from US in exchange for a honest and unbiased review. The Book was all intact and alive with its glossy softy cover.

This review is done as part of the book review program of Ireadbooktours.

Thanks again.”

– Vithya.

Tribal affairs is a tale of centuries old dispute between two ancient tribes of djinn or genies, Marid and Ifrit. Marid’s being the most powerful among the 5 tribes of genie, they are genies who like humans whereas I
Martha
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story full of fantasy, mystery and suspense woven around a thwarted romance. Dahlia is a genie who has been trapped in a locket on an ankle bracelet. Liana’s mother apparently died from mental illness and now sixteen-year-old Liana has decided to wear the ankle bracelet. She has no idea the significance of the locket which soon brings chaos into her life.

Liana begins dreaming strange dreams of star-crossed lovers. Then she begins to see images. Before long her father thinks she needs m
Tynea Lewis
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Liana finally gathers the courage to wear her late mother’s anklet, her whole world starts to change. First, there’s an accident at her father’s magic show, then she starts having the strangest dreams, and soon she’s seeing people that no one else can. Her shrink tells her she’s going crazy, just like her mother, but the boy no one else can see keeps insisting that everything happening is real.
After being trapped in an anklet for centuries, Dahlia is so close to gaining her freedom she ca
Namrata Ganti
Tribal Affairs is a YA novel that revolves around the lives of Dahlia, a centuries old genie, trapped in an ankle bracelet, and a sixteen year old girl, Liana. Liana wears the bracelet for the first time on the opening night of her father's performance. Little does Liana know that this small act will have much bigger consequences.

The story is written in two different points of view, one telling Dahlia's story through dreams that Liana has, the other are Liana's version of the events that unfold.
Stephanie
Dahila is a genie who has been trapped for years inside of a stone, a consequence for the sin of loving a human. In the present-day, 16 year old Liana decides to wear her mother's charm bracelet for the first time since her death. Liana's mother had schizophrenia and ever since putting on her mother's charm, Liana has begun to see things, hear things and has been having strange dreams. In Liana's dreams, Dahlia is telling her a story, the story will help set Dahlia free, but it will also help ke ...more
LitPick Student Book Reviews
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tribal Affairs is a book following Liana and her magical adventure. Liana is a normal girl, or so she thinks. Her early life has been okay; her mother was crazy, her father is the best father in the world. One day, Liana decides to put her mother's old locket around her leg when she goes to her father's magic show. At the show, a freak accident happens, leaving her father as the laughingstock of the town. Afterward, she starts to see glimpses of "something" messing with her father. A few days la ...more
Monica Kelly
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tribal Affairs gives Teen & Young Adult a fantastic Paranormal & Urban fantasy. Author Matt Dallmann gives the YA Readers an easy to follow storyline with G rated content that a parent of a teen would be happy with, the book quickly jumps into the adventure to keep the reader's attention, it does alternate from past to present, between the tale of Dahlia and Liana a genie and a teenager.

Tribal Affairs tells the story of fantasy, magic, and genies. Sixteen-year-old Liana decides to wear
Gina Stamper
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy

This was a very intriguing concept that did not unfold predictably. It was surprising in almost every way when I was reading it. I love the simplicity of the Book Cover and the intricate way it was written. Descriptive and Emotional throughout with plenty of action and even romance laced in between. I think this is a great novel for the genre, it fits in perfectly and I think any YA Fantasy fan will enjoy it!
Jessica
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful young adult fantasy story

If you are mesmerized with genie, Tribal Affairs is a must read book for you. It is a beautiful young adult fantasy story to read. This book will bring you from pass to present story of two genies. It is actually a fun book to read. My 12 year old daughter will love to read this book as well. She loves fantasy.

It is a story of love, hatred and forgiveness. The first few chapters are boring to read but you have to keep going. It will take your breath away. I
C. Gonzales
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This novel had a powerful main character and a powerful underlying theme of actions and consequences. I liked the way the author set up the novel and that he made sure to give the reader plenty of information so that they came to understand the world he had created.

I liked that this novel is written for Young Adult readers, but can be enjoyed by all fans of Fantasy.
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to my stop on the blog tour of Tribal Affairs by Matt Dallmann.

Wow! This book was not what I expected.

When I saw this book come up on the blog tour I wasn’t sure. I read the blurb and looked at the book cover and I wasn’t going to take part but the book kept coming back to me. It felt like this book was calling to me again and again, so I signed up to read the book. It was most probably Dahlia calling to me from the ankle bracelet!

This book well… I do not know where to begin. So I guess
Bailey Ember
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I felt that the plot was a good one, but the flow of it seemed a bit rushed at times. I found myself trying to keep up.

These characters each have their own personalities and depth to them. None of them felt one-dimensional or forced, they all shined through as individuals.

Once I was in this novel I was immersed for sure.
Tonja Drecker
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
In an ever tightening weave of two stories, this is a fantasy with much more than just magic.

Sixteen-year-old Liana decides to wear an anklet bracelet, which, unknown to her, is the prison for a centuries-old genie, Dahlia. As Dahlia projects her feelings and thoughts, Liana is sure she's going insane. But when Liana wears the anklet to her father's show, unexplained and unexpected things happen. Soon Liana finds herself caught up in a feud between two genie families, and falling in love for the
Angela Thompson
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tribal Affairs offers a YA-friendly look at genies. I have only read a couple of books focused on genies--so, I am not very familiar with their world. This book offered enough details and world building that I developed an understanding of the genies and their tribes without feeling overwhelmed or confused. The book is truly written for a young adult audience (even tween/ young teen readers) with it's easy to read, easy to follow storyline and G rated content.

Readers should expect some sudden sh
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Matt Dallmann

She thought she was losing her mind ~ that she was seeing things. But the truth was even more unbelievable ~ Liana unknowingly has connected herself to a genie. This genie has been trapped for generations in the charm of an anklet that once belonged to Liana's mother. And now Liana is about to discover the truth she knew is not the truth that is.

When Liana decides to claim the anklet as her own to wear she unwittingly triggers a chain of events which upend her life
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
One could definitely describe this contemporary fantasy novel an odd duck. Several chapters an unidentified female character narrates, who has a husband named Alexander. For most of the story, chapters appear to be in third-person, with the main character being Liana, daughter of the magician Jamison the Great, one of whose performances has a misfire early on. In another dream-dedicated chapter, Alexander hangs beaten and upside-down from a tree, with the narrator soon saying that she has influe ...more
Jessica Bronder
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dahlia is a genie that has been trapped in a locket on an anklet. Liana is the 16 year old that has decided to start wearing the anklet of her mothers. But when she does, she starts hearing voices, having strange dreams, and when she attends one of her father’s performances things go wrong. Liana and her family think there is something wrong and want to medicate her. But the truth is that Dahlia is trying to communicate with her. Dahlia has a history of a feud with another genie family that has ...more
Lenoire
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Dahlia is a centuries-old powerful genie, who is helplessly trapped in a damaged golden locket. The locket is a family heirloom that was passed on to Liana by her beloved dead mother. She wears the locket during her father, Jamison's opening night performance. The locket causes a chain of unfortunate events which leads to a showdown between Liana and Dahlia's nemesis, Stefan. Will Liana be able to defeat Stefan? Will Dahlia be able to escape her prison?

I found the novel to be an interesting rea
Dawn
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Tribal Affairs has two stories. One is about Liana who is 16 and lives with her father, a magician who is closing in on the end of an amazing career. The other is about Dahlia, a genie who lives in a locket that Liana has on a chain around her ankle.

Dahlia’s story is told mostly through Liana’s dreams. As the dreams progress, at some point Liana realizes that they’re not dreams
Pat Probasco
The beginning of the book was very confusing, but as I kept reading, the story did unfold. My first mistake was thinking that Taffi was a horse. It was clear after the first chapter that he was a young lad. Yes the book is for YA young fans, but I did enjoy it. It did need more descriptions in some of the parts, you were left in places. You finally could catch up later.

I would recommend this to any young fantasy fans. It has adventure, fantasy, love and hate. If you like genies, you will love th
Emily
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the weaving of stories, once I figured out how tell which narrative was which voice. You learn about Dahlia’s life as a genie, and you watch a modern day teenager’s (Liana) life unfold. There are some unexpected twists that keep it interesting
RABT Book Tours: Tribal Affairs by Matt Dallmann 1 1 Jul 13, 2018 05:10AM
RABT Book Tours: Tribal Affairs by Matt Dallmann 1 1 Jun 21, 2018 07:01AM
RABT Book Tours: Tribal Affairs by Matt Dallmann 1 2 Jun 14, 2018 04:38AM
  • The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle, #3)
  • Exile (Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, #3)
  • The War of Words
  • Mythical Doorways (Fellowship of Fantasy, #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
  • Emerald Bound (Altered Stones, #1)
  • The Heir War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1b)
  • Cathadeus (The Walking Gates, #1)
  • The Unicorn Hunter
  • Game Over (Mindwar, #3)
  • The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Secret of the Realms: An Extended Novelization
  • The Enchanted
  • The War for the Waking World (Dreamtreaders, #3)
  • The Lazarus Game
  • The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm, #3)
  • The Siren's Secret (The Shapeshifter's Secret, #2)
  • Beneath the Forsaken City (Song of Seare, #2)
  • Martyr's Fire (Merlin's Immortals, #3)
Matt Dallmann has a background in acting and holds a BFA from Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. His films and screenplays have been featured at film festivals across the United States including Cinequest, Big Apple Film Festival, Seattle’s True Independent Film Festival, DragonCon and Zero Independent Film Festival. His piano compositions have been published for commercial use and he i ...more