Start by marking “Trickery” as Want to Read:
Trickery

Trickery

PERFECT for fans of Roald Dahl.

Think you know Dahl? Think again. There's still a whole world of Dahl to discover in a newly collected book of his deliciously dark tales for adults . . .

How underhand could you be to get what you want? In these ten tales of dark and twisted trickery Roald Dahl reveals that we are at our smartest and most cunning when we set out to deceive ot

Published August 10th 2017 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Trickery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trickery

Start your review of Trickery
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
I'm about to delve into Roald Dahl's adult stories, which I enjoyed as a teenager. I wonder if they're ask dark, convoluted and twisted as I remember.

Harley
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-and-4-5-stars
4.5 Stars.

Short stories usually don't do it for me but I couldn't draw my eyes away from this book; every single one of these stories had my undivided attention. The twists were a lot more twisty than I'd expected, all of them making my brain work and think in different ways; most of them had subtle hints of darkness (some a lot less subtle) and I loved it. Each story was utterly unique, it was very refreshing to read something so different.

This was not the sort of book I'd usually go for
Eric Anderson
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was very young one of my favourite books was “James and the Giant Peach”. I can still remember the vivid descriptions of James tasting a peach which made me crave the fruit for years to come. For some reason I never read more of his famous tales for children, but of course I was familiar with the stories from popular films like ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ and ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’. What’s so interesting about Dahl is that his imaginatively off-kilter way of presenting the world shin ...more
Shifad
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaah.. The stories. The thing about short stories collection is that you like some and then you hate some. This book is not the idea of Roald Dahl but rather his collection of stories which presents the cunningness of human. He explains in detail how adept we are at playing tricks - on oneself or at one another. A decent collection of stories. Visitor is the best story among them.
Kieran
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Last month I visited a book fair (vlog here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xisCi...) where I found a collection of Roald Dahl’s Adult Short Stories. I remember saying to myself “Perfect timing for Exams Period!”, and I bought the whole collection, minus “Fear” which unfortunately wasn’t in stock at the fair.

There are seven books in total, all representing different human emotions or tendencies: “Lust”, “Madness”, “Cruelty”, “Deception”, “War”, “Innocence”, “Fear”, and the one I have just finished reading, “Trickery”.
Jasmine
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I’m going to give this one 2.5 stars. I found myself feeling quite bored throughout quite a few of these stories. There were probably only 2 stories that I really enjoyed in the collection, which is disappointing really. Hopefully I’ll enjoy the remaining 2 books I have of this collection more than I have enjoyed Trickery.
Cleopatra  Pullen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
The ten stories within this book vary in length from a single page to far more substantial ones and they all tell of the kinds of daring deeds that don’t rely on strength and brute force but the cunningness of a fox. Once again my favourite was the story which was clearly the forerunner to Danny the Champion of the World – a story I loved when it was read aloud to my primary school class aged seven or eight. Once again I chuckled as two grown men in Champion of the World (no Danny in this versio ...more
Antonia Martin
Each story was brilliantly told and left wanting more. Can’t wait to read the others.
S.schouwenaars
Een aantal korte verhalen met een verrassend eind
Francis
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story stories are an art form in itself. I started collecting this series of short stories and each book left me wanting more. This particular collection was a joy.

Like all his other collections, each has a voice and a style which makes them small gems.

The last short story was my favorite in this set and I'd recommend this book while on a short vacation. Easy to pick and quick to finish.
Jackie
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first adult book that I have read from Roald Dahl and it did not disappoint.

A great collection of short stories wrapped up in all kinds of deceit and trickery.

I will definitely be reserving the other books in the series.
Miss Bookiverse
My least favorite Dahl collection so far unfortunately. The stories weren't necessarily bad, their settings and characters just weren't my cup of tea (3 of Claud's Dog stories, I never much care for these). Outstanding favorites were Mrs Bixby & the Colonel's Coat (which I already knew from Cruelty) and The Surgeon (so clever and exciting). Those are the kind of Roald Dahl stories I love and crave when I pick up one of his anthologies.
Raj
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This collection is part of a themed series put out by Penguin to showcase Dahl's adult short fiction. The clue to the theme is in the title, with trickery and deceit being the order of the day. Some of the stories fit the theme by a thread (such as the first story, The Wish about a boy who imagines his carpet to be full of monsters), but most are good fits. I hadn't known that one of my favourite Dahl books as a youngster, Danny, the Champion of the World, was based on a short story, but it was, and it's ...more
Breakaway Reviewers
Roald Dahl for adults – a must-read

If you thought Roald Dahl’s books were just for children, forget it. In this book – and the whole series of adult books – there is a whole host of mature themes, but all with that Dahlian twist!

In this book, Dahl proves himself to be the master of deception with wonderfully entertaining and ‘sting-in-the-tail’ tales of some of the devious and deceptive things adults get up to.

I particularly loved the stories of ‘The Visitor’
Atul_reads
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trickery consists of 10 short stories which I believe is well composed, cunning and fits well with the title given. I am fond with 6 stories that I think was very genius and manipulated. Some of my favourite are Champion of the World, The Visitor, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, The Hitch-hiker, The Surgeon, and Princess Mammalia. I really loved the way Roald Dahl explained the situation and at the end always comes out with morals values, though not literally gain. Although this is the first t ...more
Daniel Stephens
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-kindle
Nice collection of tricky tales

Nice collection of Dahl's stories. Some are better than others - as I'm reading through these collections I am definitely recognising a certain repeating "style" that may just be an unfortunate artifact of the way the stories have been arranged around vauge concepts. Or it might just be me.
Jo Barton
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trickery contains ten cleverly contrived stories which tell of cunning and deceit and carry all the characteristic trademarks of this wonderfully inventive author. Stories which twist and turn with delicious dark humour, these ten stories are a perfect size to read in half an hour or so, but the impact remains much longer.
Carine
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a mixed bag of stories. 'Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat' already appeared in Cruelty, so I don't know if something went wrong there... My favourites were:
The Wish, Claud's Dog: Rummins & The Visitor.
Erin Murohashi
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eye-opening book. Makes you think about whom to trust and who you shouldn't and the twisted minds of people; It shows the dark side of human nature and the lengths they would go just to get what they want. An excellent book.
Chelsea
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what can i say, i'm loving it. light, entertaining, full of funny stories. too bad i didn't get the chance to bought all of the following series. oh well, i still have Fear and Cruelty series after this (tee-hee). would like to recommend this to other Dahl's grown-up fan. you'll like this.
Orlaith
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Fantastic bright tales. I can feel the Roald Dahl obsession rising! Gorgeous cover art too. So excited to read the rest of the collection!
Sabrina Marzuki
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beware of the Dog is my absolute favourite. Overall, I enjoyed the book. Princess Mammalia felt different than the other stories in this book, but I loved it nonetheless.
Kerry Bridges
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please see my audible review at:

James
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, pocket-books
Enjoyable read. Never thought that Dahl was capable of such good twists in his stories.
Syafiqa
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this particular book are just amazing! I think this would be my fave among the whole series.
Iamreddave
The wish and Mrs Bixby are brilliant stories.
Daphne
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Not his best but still very amusing!
Dylan Rosalez
Good short stories. I’m just not a short story kind of person. Many stories just end abruptly.
Amy
Nov 27, 2017
David Lion Frenkel
Sep 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Chew, Vol. 11: The Last Suppers
  • Chew, Vol. 12: Sour Grapes
  • Timeless: Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic (Timeless, #1)
  • La stagione della caccia
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Ghost Stories
  • A Woman First: First Woman: A Memoir
  • The Beats: A Graphic History
  • Red Joan
  • Chew, Vol. 10: Blood Puddin'
  • Do Llamas Fall in Love?: 33 Perplexing Philosophy Puzzles
  • The Intern's Handbook (John Lago Thriller, #1)
  • Masterpiece
  • So Lucky
  • Bring Me Home
  • The Good Liar
  • Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding, #1)
  • Mixed Magics: Four Tales of Chrestomanci

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as A Piece of Cake. The story, about his wartime ad