Start by marking “If the Fates Allow” as Want to Read:
If the Fates Allow

If the Fates Allow

During the holidays, anything is possible—a second chance, a promised future, an unexpected romance, a rekindled love, or a healed heart. Authors Killian B. Brewer, Lynn Charles, Erin Finnegan, Pene Henson, and Lilah Suzanne share their stories about the magic of the season.

Gracious Living Magazine Says It Has to Be a Live Tree
By Killian B. Brewer
Determined to make his f
Published December 1st 2017 by Interlude Press

To ask other readers questions about If the Fates Allow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If the Fates Allow

Start your review of If the Fates Allow
Xan West
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-themed
A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Going to review each of the shorts separately, as this was really a mixed bag for me.

"Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a Live Tree" no rating
dnf after the first chapter. A racist joke, then fat hating joke in the first chapter. This is not the story for me.

"True North" 3.75 stars
Sweet holiday romance between a Black lesbian WNBA player and the girl she had a crush on when she was a teenager, when she
Silvia
Apr 07, 2018 marked it as dnf
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

DNF @ 25%

I should have probably marked it as DNF ages ago but basically I'm not going to rate this since it's four different stories and I've only read one, and the one I read I didn't like at all. It was all over the place and I didn't like the writing. I also don't really care for holiday-themed anthologies so I guess I'm at fault here for having requested this. I'm d
Cheyenne Blue
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, glbtq
If the Fates Allow is a collection of five queer holiday shorts put out by Interlude Press.
First of all, kudos to the editor, Annie Harper, for her varied selection. While all of the stories have a holiday feel (quite understated in some), and all are definitely feel-good lighter reads, the anthology stands together well as a whole.

Gracious Living Magazine Says It Has to Be a Live Tree by Killian B. Brewer
This story wins the prize for the best title, not just in this anthology but possibly that
Pippa D
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This is a charming collection of stories set at Christmas. There was an inventive spirit that imbued the stories with some of the magic of Christmas, without ever becoming too saccharine. The writers are all winning authors of LGBTQIA fiction at Interlude press, and the quality of writing is evident in the complexity of the characters, and the thoughtfulness of the stories.

I really enjoyed reading this clever anthology.

1. 4 stars. Gracious Living Magazine Says It must be a Live Tree, by Killian
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Galley provided by publisher

Rep: wlw and mlm characters, non-white characters

Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be A Live Tree ☆☆☆

I think I would have appreciated this one more if I had read the book with these characters in. As it was, I wasn't particularly amazed by this as an opening story for the anthology. That being said, it had some cute moments.

True North ☆☆☆☆

The real reason I was excited to read this anthology was Pene Henson's story. Both her full length books are among my favourite
Naomi Tajedler
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(Advanced Reader Copy review)
The end of the year needed a good anthology of stories to show different aspects of the LGBTQ spectrum, different lives, different ways to celebrate the holidays, and Interlude Press delivered.

I loved reconnecting with the Do Nothings
I fell in love with Devon and with Montana
I had a good, satisfying cry and a renewed sense of hope with Jack at the Casa Blanca
I connected deeply and instensly with Avery, and wished I could have a Rudy and a Grace in my life
I found a k
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 ☆

Five christmasy gay stories for a price of one! Well, count me in!!

But see, the problem with rating anthologies is that not all pieces are equally good, and that's especially the case when we get different authors. So while there's no doubt all of them were very gay & very cute, I only really enjoyed three of them...

My favourite might actually be Halfway Home by Lilah Suzanne. I've never related to a les
Ashley Owens
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this because it seemed like it was going to be right up my alley. But ultimately it was just meh overall.

I did really enjoy True North and Last Call at the Casa Blanca Bar & Grille. True North especially took its time to explore the characters a bit more and had more genuine emotion.

The other 3 were just too corny for my personal taste. I know that I should have expected that with a collection like this, but the writing itself in those other stories was just corny to the poi
Bethany
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: all-lgbtqia
I was excited to find an LGBT book at my library branch that I hadn't heard of, so I checked it out, disregarding the fact that the combo of "gay romantic Christmas short stories" only appeals to me in theory. I'm on board for the gay, of course, but romance and short stories are hit or miss for me. As for the Christmas element, well... I was surprised/annoyed when in one story Santa Claus made an appearance. Apparently I expected realism. HA.
Michelle Osgood
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This sweet anthology is the perfect holiday read. Each story is charming and heartfelt, with just the right amount of seasonal magic sprinkled throughout. I fell head over heels in friend-love with Killian Brewer’s the Do-Nothings, grieved and learned something about moving on with Erin Finnegan’s Last Call, missed my own prairie skies (and learned a thing or two about basketball) with Pene Henson’s True North, sent several ALL CAPS TEXTS OF INTENSITY AND JOY while reading Halfway Home by Lilah ...more
Bárbara
DNF @ 40% for now- may come back to give it another chance eventually but I'm not really feeling up to it at the moment.
Anniek
Killian B. Brewer - Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a Live Tree 3/5

This is sort of a sequel to a full-length novel, and I definitely think it'll be more fun to read if you've read the novel first. I did miss quite a lot of context. But overall, I did enjoy it. It was a very loveable story with a very loveable message.

Rep: m/m romance

CWs: mention of homophobia, past death of a grandparent, past death of a parent, nightmare involving fire
Pene Henson - True North 2/5

This felt so disjointe
Tristan
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone up for making the yuletide gay
A review long overdue, but as they say, better late then pregnant. Disclaimer: I received this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Yet another short story collection; different authors, same theme. If The Fates Allow covers five different holiday themed queer romance stories - the first four alternating between male and female couples, and the fifth going all the way with one of each (and an explicitly mentioned bi man at that). Like with all short story collections, not all wer
Les Joseph
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall rating - 4 stars!

Every year I look forward to holiday stories. Christmas, Hanukkah, winter solstice ... the particulars don't matter because it's the spirit of the season that warms my heart. The sense of hope and love and joy always leaves a smile on my face and reminds why this is such a special time of year. When those stories are full of diverse characters, plots that are unique, and settings I've not read a million times before it's even better. I knew the If the Fates Allow anthol
Lola Et La Vie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is a collection of five LGBTQ+ short stories based around the Christmas season. I felt I could do with a bit of diversity in my reading and I actually really enjoyed this collection. They are feel-good stories perfect for this time of year.

I decided against reviewing each individual story, as I feel as a collection they are stronger than alone. All these stories are about new starts and falling in love and all are so romantic! Halfway Home was my favourite of the stories, but all were well
Bev
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely Christmassy diverse short story collection, some genuine 'awww' moments. I read this quickly and enjoyed all of the stories but this quote probably made 900 History my favourite: " He never understood that librarians were heroes. They listened and never judged...They helped her believe, in spite of her father's awfulness. there was nothing she couldn't do' - yes!!! Great to dip in and out of, and certainly helped me to get in the mood for the festive season.
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

Winter is finally over here (in Germany) but with the cold days we had, let us recap this winterly holiday themed anthology published by Interlude Press and with a bunch of amazing talented writers. <3

I loved each unique story, some more, some less but overall the anthology gave a pleasant winterly feeling, totally fitting but honestly it can be read easily on hot summer nights too. ;D

The different representations w
Ollie
Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a Live Tree by Killian B. Brewer
Rating: 2.5 stars
Representation: gay main character; gay side character

"Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a Live Tree" is about a man named Marcus, who is determined to have a wonderful, perfect Christmas. He never had one as a kid, and now that he lives in a place he likes and has a boyfriend he loves, he's ready to have it all - Christmas decorations galore and all. As you can imagine, things do not go accordin
Helen Kord
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, m-m, f-f, contemporary
This is a wonderful holiday anthology with some great pieces and some weaker ones. Overall impression is very sweet, but the first story really drags it down. I really loved that the book was a mix of m/m and f/f stories.

Gracious Living Magazine Says It Has to Be a Live Tree by Killian B. Brewer
I honestly could barely make it through this story and only the fact that it's short made me power through it. I couldn't stand the Do-Nothings (I grew up around a large quantity of women like this and I
Ro
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of stories tied together by the theme of the holidays. The stories are all LGBT, some with characters we’ve meet previously in other books, some with brand new characters.
Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a Live Tree This is set in Tammy’s Dinette, the holiday story of Marcus and Hank. Marcus has always worked the holidays and this Thanksgiving is no exception. His mother always worked for the extra money so holidays don’t really mean a lot to him. But we get a visit
Morgan  Skye
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2017, net-galley
Gracious Living Magazine Says It Has to Be a Live Tree
By Killian B. Brewer
Determined to make his first Christmas with his new boyfriend magazine-perfect, Marcus seeks the advice of lovable busy bodies, the Do-Nothings Club. When he learns that his boyfriend, Hank, may have ordered a ring, Marcus’ attempts to transform his home into a winter wonderland get out of hand.

Review

This is a quaint look at expectations and the definition of “real” and “happy”. Very sweet.

Shelved
By Lynn Charles
When libr
Sami
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a Live Tree

This is a very sweet story in which . It's adorable and definitely fits the in with the holiday spirit!! However, this novella is based off of the characters from Lunch With the Do-Nothings at the Tammy Dinette. I haven't read that book yet so it made the story a little difficult to feel a connection with as most of the character build up was done in the book. On the other hand, if you have read the book then you will absolutely love the in
ida
As ever, I'm struggling with rating something that's a collection of short stories. I rarely rate these books higher than a three star because there's always that one story that brings the rating down and sadly, that was the case with this book too. Still, this is a wholesome collection of LGBT themed romance holiday shorts, which I really enjoyed.

1. Gracious Living Magazine Says It Has To Be a Live Tree - ★★

This story very much requires you to have read a certain book before you read the short
Pippa D
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories

I really enjoyed reading this clever anthology.

1. 4 stars. Gracious Living Magazine Says It must be a Live Tree, by Killian
Kitty
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, holiday, anthology
I think that I enjoyed this book only because I was desperate for some Christmas stories that were literally anything except heterosexual romances. A lot of the stories really didn’t grab me at all and I thought the whole thing was just average. Is it an enjoyable read if you need some Christmas cheer? Absolutely! Is it something I would recommend for any other reason? Not really.

Gracious Living Magazine Says It Has to Be a Live Tree By Killian B. Brewer
2 Stars
I didn’t really enjoy this story a
Karen Whittard
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A gorgeous mixture of fabulously festive Christmas stories. Written by five much loved authors.

It has to be a live tree by killian B brewer. Is a lovely romantic tale of Marcus and hank and their Christmas engagement. This is a very sweet tale and it was lovely and romantic.

Shelved by Lynn Charles tells us the story of Karina who works in the local library. When she meets Wesley an old pensioner who is lonely at Christmas and his Christmas wish is to find the love of his life. So Karina sets u
Lindsay Stares
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Release! I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for the purpose of review.

Premise: Five stories of love, hope, and forgiveness at the holidays.

Do you need some warm and fuzzy holiday cheer? Do you love love?

This new collection features five LGBTQ holiday romances that make your heart feel full of sugarplums. I smiled and sighed and giggled. It's seriously sweet, without being too sweet.

The first author, Killian Brewer, starts off strong with "Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must Be a
Dawnie
*Thanks to NetGalley, the publishers and the authors for providing me with a free e-copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review*

Christmas romance stories that feature non-traditional couples but all the well loved and used romance tropes? YES PLEASE!

This is a nicely done Anthology collection with a good selection of stories that showcase rather typical Christmas stories but with the nice spin that all of them feature LGBTQ+ characters.

The writing in all is easy to read, nicely st
Ashley
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
If the Fates Allow, edited by Annie Harper and contributed to by: Killian Brewer, Lynn Charles, Erin Finnegan, Pene Henson, and Lilah Suzanne is a collection of Christmas shorts. If you need something light-hearted, funny, and touching, this is a great collection of stories to read.
I enjoyed each of the stories included. Each of them had their own unique flair and they weren’t just retellings of the traditional Christmas stories we all know.

I loved being able to hear the southern drawl of the
Jessi
Gracious Living Magazine Says It Must be a Live Tree by Killian B. Brewer
Marcus Sumter lives in a small town in the South in a house he inherited from a grandmother he never knew. He also inherited her friends, the Do-Nothings. They stand solidly behind him when it looks like his boyfriend, hot mechanic, Hank Hudson, might be bringing an extra-special gift for Christmas. One that Marcus isn't sure he's ready for.
I liked this story. It was a sweet peek into one couple's romance as well as the ex

• We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Catch Me if You Cannes
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Virtually Yours
  • 7 Days of Christmas: A Season of Generosity
  • The Secret Lives of the Amir Sisters
  • Blue on Black (Harry Bosch, #14.5; Harry Bosch Universe, #20.5)
  • Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch, #14.6; Harry Bosch Universe, #21.1)
  • Angle of Investigation (Harry Bosch, #14.7; Harry Bosch Universe, #22.2)
  • The Glass Kitchen
  • The World According to Fannie Davis: My Mother's Life in the Detroit Numbers
  • The Glass Hotel
  • The Five Love Languages for Singles
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • A Hidden Hope (Romancing the Page #1)
  • Love Poems for Married People
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings, #2)