Start by marking “Flicker (Ember in Space, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flicker (Ember in Space, #1)

Flicker

(Ember in Space #1)

GETTING SOLD TO THE EMPIRE WAS NEVER PART OF THE PLAN. Ember lives two very different lives. By day she’s a mysterious Roma future-teller, and by night she struggles to care for her sick father. All she wants is the power to control her own life—no arranged marriage, no more poverty. Her future-reading talent is what will get her there. But when the Empire discovers her gi ...more
Published June 30th 2017 by Diamond Patch Press

To ask other readers questions about Flicker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flicker

N.N. Light
I normally don't care for dystopian but I LOVED this book! I was captivated from the first page and I don't think I breathed until I finished. Highly recommend!

My Rating: 5+ stars
Bec
This Sci-fi could use a little more polishing but was fairly fast-paced and engaging. We have a fairly naive girl caught in the middle of two sides, neither of which seem to be good sides. The concept behind the flickers is fairly original and you do want the MC to prevail. There is a set up for a possible romance, but I wouldn't say it's the focus at all. I think overall this is a tail about overcoming big obstacles and beating evil.
Kat
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I normally don't read space-related books, but this one was amazing. The idea behind the plot was pretty unique in my opinion. Lots of death and heart break though. I'm intrigued to see where the second book goes with this story!
Connie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This story is part of the Dominion Rising HUGE package. One of the descriptions for this story says it is perfect for fans of the Wheel of Time series. No, it isn't. There was a scene where the main character wore a collar that allowed someone else to control her. That is the only similarity. This is SF and involves space travel. It was an okay story for me. Too much sweet romance stuff for my taste.
Leah
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I was in the mood for a space opera and I found this in my purchased books on my Kindle. It was a very interesting book - dystopian story set in space, with an Empire at war, and a gypsy element with a main character to can tell fortunes. Except for the Hunger Games-like competition piece, I liked it a lot.

Ember, the main character, is from Earth, now a reject planet in a future where space travel is possible. She's also a member of the last true Roma kumpania, though being half-gadjo she doesn'
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review originally published at: http://www.lomeraniel.com/audiobookre...

‘The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be’.

Ember is half Roma, and she tries to make a living from the tourists who visit Earth. Humanity has fled and expanded over the Galaxy, and only the Roma were left behind. One day her village receives the visit of a ship of the Empire, and some soldiers seem to take interest in Ember’s special powers. They decide to take her with them and use her as a
Mike Nemeth
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gypsy living on a post-apocalyptic earth telling fortunes to travelers who have only rediscovered the planet because some blogger dubbed its beaches one of the best in the galaxy. What's not to like? And yeah, she's got this ability to actually read people. She doesn't just determine their path through life with her hand-painted cards. With "Flicker," author Rebecca Rode has created a yarn that hearkens back to a simpler time. One where a single person can make change on a galactic scale. I th ...more
Julie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, audiobooks, sff
This was so good, I already want to read book 2!

This is a concise adventure tale that will entertain you well for a few hours. Before this book, I had never read or heard anything from Rebecca Rode, but that may be my last. The story begins with Ember, a young Roma woman of 19 years, telling fortunes to tourists who visit an abandoned Earth. Telling a fortune to a special military recruit kicks off a series of events that goes throughout the story and doesn't give up.

Ember is kidnapped and force
Mizu
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
**English below**

Ce livre est une très bonne introduction à un nouvel univers et j’espère vraiment que l’auteure l’explorera plus à fond dans le prochain. Les personnages sont intéressants, même si l’héroïne leur fait tous de l’ombre, et j’espère que nous aurons une chance de vraiment les connaître. Pour ceux qui s’inquiètent de l’aspect science-fiction, il n’est pas très présent, sauf pour une technologie très basique que nous voyons beaucoup dans d’autres séries/livres. J’ai hâte de voir les p
Claire
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ember is everything you could want in a lead female character. She's determined, resourceful, caring and willing to fight for what she believes in. It's just as well, because the odds are stacked against her and everyone seems to want something from her.

The plot is unique and never went where I was expecting it to and it left me desperate to know what is going to happen next because there are so many possibilities.

The future setting involving races from multiple planets who have all intermarried
Tim Seabrook
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mankind has left Earth and settled the stars and is now governed by a central body led by the Emperor but all is not well in the settled planets as a war is being fought between two factions.

Amongst all this is Ember, a child gifted with the ability to see the past, present and future of any individual she chooses to read. She is not alone with this gift, there are many others from countless planets and they are known as Flickers. Normally, they are identified at an early age and trained to be p
Dianna
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flicker by Rebecca Rhodes is a dystopian tale beyond the stars.
Ember is a Rom, but known as a gypsy to every person she meets, who can’t be bothered to know the difference. She is kidnapped from her home and discovers others with a power like hers. This special gift is being trained and used by the military to take out the enemies of the empire.
Ember holds a special gift that separates her from those with powers. She embarks on a journey to decide who she is and what she is willing to do for th
Stephen
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This takes place in a future where we have colonized and United with other worlds and people. The only ones left on earth are the Roma. Some say they rebelled and stayed...others say they were undesirable and left behind. This story follows a girl who was taken against her will to be part of the empire. All she wants to do is be with her father who is not well. She thinks that if she doesn't go along with the program she'll get sent home. She has got it all wrong. Powerful construction of the s ...more
Steven
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

From the sublime to the stock, we move from an Octavia Butler novel to Rebecca Rode's Flicker, the first novel in her Ember in Space trilogy. If you are looking for a good book, this ain't it. If you are looking for a really fun, easy, beach read, then this is perfect.

Flicker is predictable in almost every way. There was really only one thing that surprised me, and that was almost marginal. What you have here is story, story, story. Even so, the main character is fun, even empathetic. There is a
Beverly
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd give this 3.5 stars. It's science fiction set sometime in the distant future when most of humanity has left befouled Earth. Those left behind are the Roma, or gypsies, who were denied passage in the exodus. The Empire rules everywhere, with the Union, led by the Emperor's Daughter, fighting to take it down.
The first in a series, Roma fortune teller Ember tells fortunes whenever a tourist ship lands and cares for her ailing father at night. She is kidnapped by the Empire to be trained and use
Shanna Tidwell
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this. It would be a great read for a teen or adult. Very clean but with violence. No profanity that I can recall. Definitely interested in where the story goes. The characters are believable & you care for them. Of course there’s the evil ones you don’t care for either.
Ember is a seer and stolen away to be a flicker but soon realizes she is a flame.... she hold life or death in her ‘hands’ through her mind.
She has a huge heart and is being used for evil.
Can’t wait to start
Elaina Myers
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi with paranormal abilities

Well written story. It seems as if the character is stuck on a particular course of action for a while, but it is really a short time and it makes complete sense considering now she was raised. Sadly, there are people willing to step on others to get what they want, even when they already have so much. Ember matures during the story and I think the rest of her universe had better watch out, as she is turning out to be a catalyst for change.

Looking forward to the n
Robert Jones
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ember lives two life’s, caring for her sick father at night and a Roma future-teller by day. Ember’s father is slowly and now she’s about to be forced into a life she never wanted, for being more concerned about taking care of her father.

But when the government kidnaps her in the middle of the night, she must learn what a flicker really is. Not every soldier is on board with what is transpiring, though. Training is about to begin and Ember is definitely at a disadvantage. Will her duty to her fa
Cmoore
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is awesome!
I loved our protagonist from the very first page! Flicker is the story of Ember, a gypsy girl (Ooops, I meant to say "Roma") with some amazing magical abilities... and the empire wants her to be their own secret weapon/assassin... Ember just  wants to be left alone, and not become a pawn in the Empire's war! As it happens, Ember's abilities are also wanted by the opposition, so she's stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place!
  I listened to the audio version of thi
Ruby McDemon
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I really enjoyed Ember's story. At times she seems like a timid meek girl, but she has a backbone of steel. Finding out about all her powers and what they mean is awesome. I really enjoy that this story started on Earth even if it is different from what we have now. Everything going from Earth to space is pretty cool. I highly enjoyed listening to Stacey narrate and the different voices and accents she uses. I really hope to find out more about the two opposing factions and to find out what is r ...more
Liza
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ember is trying to eke out a living (for herself and her sick father) as a fortune teller - without anybody finding out that she is able to have visions of their past and future. Unfortunately, she reads the future for the wrong person and gets co-opted by the government's special force of readers. She finds out that she has more than just reading power and so doesn't want to use her power to kill anybody but wants to keep her father and her planet safe. Which side of the fight is really in the ...more
Rock
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is for the Audiobook version.
3.5 stars.

Stacey Glemboski does an excellent job narrating the book.

Overall I liked the story. It had enough action to keep me interested. The main character, Ember, is abused quite a bit and put into some very difficult situations. Commander Kane, the Villain, is evil and powerful and uses that to get what he wants. I enjoyed their interactions.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Kathy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has some interesting premises but the author does not develop an intriguing story. The characters do not engage me and I didn't feel compelled to finish the novel. Plus the villain is truly odious, sadistic, vengeful and bloodthirsty.

Please see full review here: http://www.morebooksthantime.com/flic...
Peter Carlstrom
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it

Even though the story has once again a heroine with super abilities not trained to use them by her ignorant parents, the rest if the story is fresh and original. Placed in no win situation and being responsible for numerous lives made the main character quite sympathetic. The romance is not angsty and is good it was there. Otherwise it would have been very depressing. I will certainly read next installment.
BookJunkie777
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A dark dystopian story about a young lady with a special ability to read a person’s past, present, and future. A war is brewing and having someone with Ember’s abilities could turn the tide for either side. She is tested beyond emotional belief but she has a few surprises of her own. This is a very good story with strong characters, plot, and storyline. The narrator also did an excellent job!

Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The bad guys in this story seem a little over the top evil but I liked the character development of the main character and some of the others around her. Raised in a very traditional society, we get to see her eventually find some inner strength and make a stand against that evil. I'm always a sucker for the underdog with nothing left to lose getting pushed to the limits of their tolerance. There's nothing better than the classic gritty good vs. evil fight.
Heather
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Counting down days until the sequel!

Ember was a fabulous character. I loved her loyalty to home and her smart and determined way of navigating everything that was thrown at her. Of course, I was hooked as soon as we saw a glimpse of her future. And I enjoyed feeling completely immersed in the two contrasting settings of Roma and space. Great read for those who like fantasy/sci fi with a delightful dose of romance!
Melinda
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise

I liked this book so much that I am going to buy the next one in the series. Being able to see into someone's past and/or future is a fairly common premise,but this one is particularly well written. The characters are interesting and the setting is clearly imagined.
Fawn
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flicker

This was a read in one sitting book for me, because there was no way I was going to put it down until I read every single page. Ember refuses to conform and repeatedly pays the price. It was easy to envision the world around Ember and the characters are all well written. This is going to be a good series.
Darryl
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was really impressed with the concept of this novel. Rebecca Rode has created an endearing heroine in Ember, and has given the surrounding characters a rich depth with a good back story. So far I think this is the best book as part of the Dominion Rising Anthology. This is book 1 of 3, and I am definitely going to read the next 2 books.
Need Librarian help please 1 2 Feb 10, 2018 05:11PM
  • The Pattern Ship (The Pattern Universe, #1)
  • Witch Upon a Star
  • On the Auction Block (Slave of the Aristocracy, #1)
  • Fallen Star (Project Gauntlet, #1)
  • Cloak of War (The Empress Game Trilogy, #2)
  • City of Ghosts
  • The Grid 1: Fall of Justice (The Grid Trilogy, #1)
  • Generation (Shadows of the Void, #1)
  • An Unremembered Grave
  • Lock & Key
  • ARMS War for Eden (ARMS, #1)
  • Wild Souls (The Kingson Pride, #3)
  • Timo (Hope Valley BBW Online Dating App Romances, #7)
  • Paradisi Escape: Paradisi Chronicles (Paradisi Exodus, #1)
  • Exile (The Extinction Trials #2)
  • Demon Blessed
  • Remains of Urth: The Arena (Book 1)
  • Splitting Seconds (Songbird Series #2)
REBECCA RODE is the USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of the Numbers Game trilogy, the Ember in Space series, and numerous novellas. She is also a freelance journalist. She has four children, two cats, one husband, and a ridiculous number of books. Visit her at www.AuthorRebeccaRode.com.

Ember in Space (3 books)
  • Flare (Ember in Space, #2)
  • Flame (Ember in Space, #3)
“Gift? You imply that it was given to me, yet you deny the source.” 0 likes