Start by marking “Paper Girls, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Paper Girls, Vol. 4

Paper Girls, Vol. 4

(Paper Girls #4)

The mind-bending, time-warping adventure from BRIAN K. VAUGHAN and CLIFF CHIANG continues, as intrepid newspaper deliverer Tiffany is launched from the prehistoric past into the year 2000! In this harrowing version of our past, Y2K was even more of a cataclysm than experts feared, and the only person who can save the future is a 12-year-old girl from 1988.

Collects issues 1
Published April 10th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Paper Girls, Vol. 4, please sign up.
Elyse It's just a volume. Nothing is special about it except that it's a volume? If you read the single issues, you don't need to read the volumes.

Start your review of Paper Girls, Vol. 4
karen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best graphic novel 2018! what will happen?

things actually make sense in this volume!

review to come!
David Schaafsma
THE END OF THE WORLD?!
Y2K Insanity!
Will computers melt down?
Will society?
--Time Magazine cover, January 18, 1999

Our three favorite girls from 1988 are still in the future in this one. And it is a blast. And occasionally awkward, and sometimes moving. Paper Girls is a sci fi time travel comic series, folks, so you must expect things that come with the genre; for instance, one of the girls traveling 12 years into the future, Tiffany, meets her future husband. . . and self). So, if you have a chanc
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2018, graphic-novels
Things are beginning to click into place within this comic and I am really enjoying it. I love how bad-ass each girl is and I like how different they all are. I think the story is really cool and I love the illustrations and the colours. I'm really looking forward to the next issue but I'm sad I will have to wait so long! I would definitely recommend this. It may be a bit confusing at the start, but once you get to vol 2 or 3, it is so worth it!
Chad
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Now we're headed to the night the dreaded Y2K was supposed to hit. I remember that night as the New Year's Eve the IT staff had to work all night for absolutely no reason because very, very little actually went wrong. There's a lot of great little inside jokes as the girls run around town while trying to avoid getting stomped on by giant time-travelling robots. In addition to the Goonies-like fun, we actually begin to see how this time travel war fits together. Cliff Chiang and Matt Wilson are k ...more
Calista
This volume was much better than the previous one and it makes so much more sense. There are still so many unanswered questions and we know so little that is going on. Brian K. Vaughan is a big tease. He knows how to keep you waiting for more answer and while he gives you a sip, he is setting up more questions.

We meet up with the whole group finally in the year 2000. There are giant robots fighting over the city, but no one can see them but one of the girls. No one else knows what the noise or
Kate (GirlReading)
This series is wild. I have no idea what’s going on half the time but I kinda just don’t care. It’s utterly bizarre, filled with badass girls and a plot that’s here, there and everywhere. The art style is gorgeous and it’s always so much fun to read. I feel at though things slowly started to come together in this volume but I’m still waiting for a moment of total clarity. It’s definitely not without its faults but overall, I’m loving this series and am consistently left wanting more.
Dennis
Another fun volume!

The girls turn up in the year 2000.

description

When flat screens weren’t really flat, but reasonably priced.

description

And people were angsting about the world coming to an end.

description

But hey, at least back then personal computers looked really cool.

description
It’s tangerine, sweetie. Tangerine.

Plot-wise there’s not a lot happening here. The girls get separated once again. Tiffany meets her future self and some things that don’t really belong in the year 2000. As far as I remember.

description

The other girls meet a cartoonist wh
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
I take it back! I don’t like Mac’s character anymore. I could not deal with her being so rude and terrible in this book.

We have a character coming out in this book, and different reactions to their revelation of identity. And that does mean we are getting some LGBT+ rep. There are some homophobic comments, so be ready for that too! I appreciate how the plot is still firmly focused on the science-fiction, but these modern day relevant topics are coming up.

At long last we are finally getting some
Donovan
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
While sometimes difficult to follow with its constantly changing cast and setting, the dynamic of chaos theory makes sense in a story of warring time travelers. Meanwhile there’s “some” character development, and bounds of coming-of-age, 2000s nostalgia, and sci-fi grandiloquence. Part of the appeal is to know where this is even going, ending on yet another cliff hanger.
Aya Hamza
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this volume!

Things finally begin to make sense.
We get some explanations, and a new character which I liked and wish to read more about.

I wish I can read the next one... I HATE waiting for unfinished series. 💔
Auntie Terror
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
This series is getting weirder and weirder - and better and better. Though this one ends on a horrible cliffhanger xD
Jenny Baker
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The girls are back!

I love the time travel and the Y2K storyline. It has some funny Y2K headline news quotes from 1999. If you're old enough to remember the fear back then, you'll get a kick out of the quotes. I don’t ruin it for anyone who’s planning to read this, but here’s a quote that’s more recent.

”Trump Orders Government to Stop Work on Y2K Bug, 17 Years Later”
-Bloomberg Politics headline
June 15, 2017

*rolling eyes*

We get to see Tiffany in the future and meet her husband, plus meet some new
Victoria ♡
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-comics
I hate having to wait for issues...this is easily one of my fav comics! I can't wait for more!
Schizanthus Nerd

Paper Girls Volume 4 is a 2019 Hugo Awards finalist in the Best Graphic Story category.
description
A note about spoilers: major spoilers are included in this review about what’s happened previously in the series and what happens in this Volume. I’m not sure how long it will be before I make it to Volume 5 and don’t want to forget anything important so this is my summary. I’ve hidden pretty much everything I’ve got to say about this Volume. Regardless, if you’re not up to this Volume, please be really caref
britt_brooke
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
So, I have to admit, time travel is really not my thing. What initially hooked me on this series was the badass artwork. The colors are so vibrant and it’s all just really beautiful. Love the pop culture references, too. Plus, if you’re my age or older, you probably had Erin’s fabulously 80s bangs and crimped hair. 🙋🏼‍♀️

I already preordered volume 5 (once 😜)!
Kristin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the kind of series where you have to wait until it's done and all the trades are out to read. There's not enough plot in any one volume for you to feel satisfied or the story to make sense and Vaughan just keeps piling on characters and twists to make it feel like things are moving forward any faster than a snail's pace.
RG
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having a large break between volumes made the start a little confusing but I still love this series. The artwork, the plotlines and the characters. Great stuff.
chloe yeung ♡
this is the volume where we finally know what exactly is going on, and now i love the comic more than ever <3 ...more
Jeff
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though Saga gripped me for a while i'm now convinced that i probably just won't ever really dig Brian K. Vaughan's work. Oh well.

Reread in Oct 2019 = i liked it a lot more this time thru. I'm bumping it up to 4 stars.

Great line from Mackenzie in this one that must be quoted.
TIFFANY: ...we're caught in the
cross-fire of some kind of war
between time travelers.

MACKENZIE: Yeah, dicks from the future
are duking it out with
dicks from the further future.
Chessa
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this comic, it’s so weird and awesome. The mashup of nostalgia and future is 👌.
Rod Brown
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The time travel antics of four Midwestern tweens continue. The stakes keep going up, but I keep thinking, oh, isn't that nice.
Devann

We are truly living the worst timeline.

I liked this volume a bit more than the previous two. I think I'm either finally settling into the pace of everything or else I was just so happy that we finally got an exposition dump to explain some of this stuff lol. I still think it's such a cop-out that they are apparently creating new timelines all the time and that's why the adult versions of them don't remember doing any of this, but I guess I'm gonna have to get over that if I want to continue with
Ash
First read on Apr 16, 2018 and reread it in 2020

——-

Finally the authors reveal the plot and things start making sense in this volume. Loved this volume a lot. I think the 3rd and 4th volumes are the best so far. Some moments were really great in this volume. Time travel, people from future speaking in some weird languages, kickass girls - everything I love in one comic.
Bonnie Wells
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know if this series will ever get over a 4 from me, but they've all been a lot of fun! I like how this one in particular gives us side characters that may only be with us for one volume but still worked to flesh them out. The range of women we see represented is especially great!
Anthony
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: image
I think my enjoyment of this series is suffering a bit from reading it month to month. But it is still enjoyable, just a little hard to follow at times.
Manisha
Finally! Some! Explanations!

RTC
Lauren Stoolfire
Ooh, now we're starting to get some answers! I can't wait to see more from this graphic novel series. Paper Girls is a must for fans of Stranger Things and The Goonies.
Neil (or bleed)
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm getting it. I think.
Leah
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stuff is happening, and I'm starting to be less confused. Still overall confused, but less so, so progress, yay!

And I got the references! Which is always fun with nostalgia elements.

We see a little bit more behind the scenes on the big why elements of this story, and I'm glad for it. Of course, our badass heroines are right thick in the middle of it. Confused as well, but still moving forward, trying to figure out how to reach their goal.

This volume definitely gives me hope that I'll continue t
2020 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Paper Girls, Vol 4. 13 27 May 25, 2019 07:08PM
Broken Image? 1 13 Jun 22, 2018 04:15PM

• The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part II (The Wicked + The Divine #6)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots
  • Sex Criminals: Volume Five: Five-Fingered Discount
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • California Screaming (Snotgirl, #2)
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 2: Fandemonium (The Wicked + The Divine #2)
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Paper Girls (6 books)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1 (Paper Girls, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2