Start by marking “Redlands, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Redlands, Vol. 1

Redlands, Vol. 1

(Redlands #1)

A mysterious and bloodthirsty matriarchal force runs the town of Redlands, Florida, and in order to stay on top sacrifices must be made. Someone is intent on removing these women from the top of the food chain, and he's ready to unleash their darkest secret but has seriously underestimated the lengths the townspeople will go to protect the new order of things.

Inspired by t
Published April 17th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Redlands, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redlands, Vol. 1

Start your review of Redlands, Vol. 1
Donovan
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Commentary on hillbilly justice, racism, and objectification/sexual harassment/rape/prostitution/ in a vague world of witches and demons. Problematic is the complete lack of empathetic characters (especially male) and aimless plot, like a pitch black journey of sadistic self-destruction. There are also too many topics being thrown around, and even the largest theme of female objectification/degradation makes little point except that it’s horrific. And the artwork is also exceedingly rough, somet ...more
James DeSantis
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Uhhh whoa...what?...The...fuck...shit...

Those were my reactions throughout the entire time reading this. Redlands is a horror comic about redneck place in Florida being ran by three witches who aren't going to take shit from anyone. Right away they murderer a bunch of racist cops and decide to take over the town of Redland. Then we get into a political thriller, mystery, and witchy witch magic shit that is both intriguing and batshit insane.

Good: So I really enjoyed the pacing. One thing I will
L. McCoy
Dear Image,
You guys are freaking awesome. You guys put out so many amazing titles... and sometimes, well, you publish stuff like this. Why?

What’s it about?
There’s group of witches, they were meant to be executed during the Salem witch trials but weren’t or they were reborn or... the author barely explains anything about that, anyhoo, now they’re detectives and some crazy s*** from their past is coming back to haunt them... blah, blah, blah.

Why it gets 1 star:
The story is meh at best. It could’ve
Candice
Like most first volumes, this is all story setup. You're introduced to characters and shown their situations. It's pretty graphic, both with violence and sex. I was led to believe this was a feminist comic, but I wouldn't put it in that category at all. It's true that all the main characters are strong women, but they're portrayed as violent witches. Sex workers are treated as inhuman, and women are set up as a lot of the problem in this world. I think the idea is that the women aren't the probl ...more
Tricia
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
wow! This is going to be a fun series!
Rod Brown
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you're going to write a book about bad people doing bad things to other bad people, you have to throw me some sort of a bone to engage me, be it humor, a charismatic villain, or over-the-top action and/or violence. I found nothing here to draw me in or make me care whether any of the characters lived or died.
R.C.
Oct 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
The only thing that was good in this was the first chapter and the art. The art and first chapter are five stars. The rest deserves almost nothing.
Dakota Morgan
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Intriguing but incoherent, Redlands is yet another "modern witches" comic ala Black Magick, except it replaces appealing characters and fascinating witchery with lifeless anti-heroes and boobs galore. The first issue starts things off red hot as witches Ro, Alice, and Bridget burn down the Redlands sheriff department in 1977 and take control of the town. It's a doozy of an intro that immediately sputters as the next handful of issues take almost no time to explore what happens when witches run a ...more
Mary
I purchased this book because I wanted a graphic novel written by women that was supposed to be about feminism.

I do have to say the graphics are really good.

But if this is what feminism is about I'll pass. 3 witches kill a crop of racist, misogynist cops in as much blood and dismemberment as possible. Then they take over the town and become the law enforcement officers. Of course because they are women they are going to be so much better . . . and that's where I have a problem because there is s
SuperSillySerra
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best books that I've read this year.

This book is so beautiful and not just the art, though that's a big part of it. The relationship between these girls just feels so real and natural. They are strong, powerful, witches who run their own town. They dont take shit from anyone, living or dead. Even when they are faced with superiors they stand up for themselves. Its super sexy, scary, and full of revenge! Overall just a great story; Part blair witch, part N.C.I.S., pure badass.
Only com
Shaun Stanley
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Redlands Vol. 1 Sisters by Blood collects issues 1-6 by Jordie Bellaire and Vanesa Del Rey.

A coven of witches who survived the Salem Witch Trials now run the sheriff's department in Redlands, Florida. The coven's past is coming back to haunt them in this mix or horror and southern crime.

It is a very interesting premise but most of the book is largely mediocre. There seems to be a lot of backstory that is missing or will possibly be told in future issues. The story finally starts gaining some m
RG
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A coven of witches takes over a town run by some racist sheriffs. Skip a few years, these ladies get caught up in a mystery horror thriller which is part detective. I liked how the plot slowly built. The art was ok in most places,n however the dialogue sometimes felt too bloated and even at times irrelevant to the story.
Tyler Kroon
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A coven of witches leads a satisfying revenge romp against racists and rapists in a southern, swamp gothic setting. Be ready for plenty of bloody violence, nudity, and some instances of sexual assault when you pick up this book.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Review to come.
Iza
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
ever read a book so disappointing that your brain just deletes it from your head immediately after finishing?
Emily
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
**Review coming soon**
Assh Albinson
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and fresh take on Southern occult comics, if you like strong women, murder, and the possibility of exacting revenge on your enemies this is your comic.
Chris
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm intrigued, but this is definitely flawed. I'm very interested to know more about the characters and the region. It seems everyone is some kind of creature, be it witch, were-alligator, psychic, etc. I'm not even sure who ISN'T something. One guy in particular must be really bad ass, because he can change shape/skin and tell a guy to cut his own nose off and light himself on fire.

The artwork is pretty decent, though gets a little scratchy at times. The coloring is good.

The problem lies in t
Brit
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book deals with heavy themes of violence towards women so be cautious about reading it if you’re a survivor of abuse.
That said, I found this to be very enjoyable but a confusing read. There’s very little, if any, explanation as to what is happening & how or why beyond the basics that are spelled out in the blurb on the back cover. I’m not writing it off, though, and hope it was the intention of the author as they do more world building than plot explanation (as a lot of it seemed intention
Timothy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
As a lover of both Bellaire's coloring and Del Rey's art, I was sufficiently hyped to read this. And indeed, I like the art a lot. It's definitely unique and great at setting the mood. The problem is that the story meanders and has a lot of weird choices and just overall is not very satisfying. There are few likable characters, fewer that have any real depth to them. Hoping that subsequent issues spend more time on the main cast and less time hinting at vague histories and also less time showing ...more
Stacy Fetters
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
This was unique but just all over the place and boring. I could barely finish it.

Everything was jumbled and jumped from scene to scene way too fast. I was in a constant feeling that I missed something and had to go back to check. Nothing about this was too enjoyable. I felt more annoyed as things unfolded.

The thing that made me rate this higher was that Stephen King’s books kept popping up and the one little illustration of Pennywise in the sewer. Plus some of those illustrations were gruesome
Michelle Morrell
This is a pretty extreme story about a small town and the witches that saved it. Sort of. "Saved" it.

Gritty and graphic and totally engrossing. It was a finalist for the World Fantasy Awards, for good reason! Not for everyone. NOT for kids!
andrew y
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I struggled to comprehend what exactly this book was trying to say.
Craig
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Story is very confusing and hard to follow. Characters not much more than stereotypes. Artwork is messy and rushed-looking much of the time. I don't get why this series was getting so much hype.
Cristian
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018, comics
The social commentary (more like: ideology) is so heavy-handed and made me cringe more than once, but the fantastic, moody art and the coloring are a class of their own.
guanaeps
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Goes hard, stays hard. This one is feeling like a long play, definitely in for the ride.
Katie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Turns out rape revenge + Women Can Be Just As Bad As Men isn't any more appealing when it's written by a woman, go figure. 1.5/5
Claire
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-image
Idk guys I liked this a lot. Not many stories have all their main characters be women and be WOC and/or queer. Two WOC, one wlw, one trans woman. And have all the characters be witches. I liked it a lot
Ben
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Issue #1 of Redlands ends with a remark from the three artists responsible for it, as they let their precious catharsis out into the world: “It should offer respite and serve as an emotional occult heavy buffet that delivers the fun, the crazed, the demonic, the sexy, the heartbreaking and the human.” Their hope for Redlands’ effect on a reader is spot on. The story juts and writhes through the swamps of Florida, and you are turning the pages in trance as Alice, Bridget, and Ro (the coven) show ...more
Kahn
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's not often you come across a graphic novel that, when you've finished it, you feel you need to re-read it almost straight away because you're pretty sure you've missed a bit.
Or two.
Or three.
But such is the case with Redlands.
Set in the titular town in Florida, Redlands tells the story of a coven of witches who pretty much run the place.
But it also tells the story of how they got there.
Then there's the small matter of the girl who may have died in 1984...
There's a hell of a lot going on her
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Farmhand, Vol. 1: Reap What Was Sown
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • They're Not Like Us, Vol. 1: Black Holes for the Young
  • Bone Parish Vol. 1
Jordie Bellaire is an American comic book colorist and writter who lives in Ireland and works for DC, Marvel, Valiant, and Image comic book publishers. She has colored Pretty Deadly, The Manhattan Projects, Moon Knight, The Vision, Magneto, Nowhere Men, Hawkeye, Batman, among other titles. As a writer, her most famous works are Redlands and the reboot of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Bellaire is credit