Start by marking “Kill the Minotaur” as Want to Read:
Kill the Minotaur

Kill the Minotaur

(Kill the Minotaur #1-6)

Athens lost the war to Crete. Now, they pay tribute to King Minos by sacrificing their best citizens to his unearthly labyrinth. Conspirators believe Theseus can be the hero they need, who can end the mad king's bloody reign... but no one on this world has ever encountered anything like the savage minotaur.

Chris Pasetto, Christian Cantamessa (Red Dead Redemption) and Lukas
Published February 6th 2018 by Image Comics (first published January 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Kill the Minotaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill the Minotaur

Chad
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, 2018
I have to say I found this to be a disappointment. I'm a fan of Greek mythology so a comic about Theseus and the minotaur sounded great. But Theseus was nothing more than a spoiled brat, the rest of the characters outside of Ariadne weren't any better. The minotaur was some weird cross between the movies Leviathan and Predator. There was no quick thinking or intelligence to defeating the monster. Just let's keep poking it until it quits moving and we put a magic star inside it. The ending made n ...more
Scott Sigler
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read it one sitting, on an iPad, with all the lights out. Oh, don't worry about the darkness, I lit up the room with my burning jealousy for such an obvious horror story that no one else ever thought to write before Pasetto did. But isn't that so often a mark of brilliance? I.e., "Oh come on, that story seems so easy! So weird that no one else came up with it before, though, in, like ... 3,000 years ... "

Pasetto puts a couple of spins on a classic myth that has permeated Western culture for mi
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from Edelweiss

This wasn't awful by any means. The art was good, the storyline for the most part way okay even if it probably could have done with a bit more complexity, and I really liked what they did with Ariadne [Theseus ...not so much, although for how annoying he was I surprisingly didn't actually hate him]. I was all ready to give this 3 stars for a fairly decent read but then they had to thrown in some weird minotaur rape suit and also a few panels of t
Luis Sancho
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Worthless!
A waste of time and money, trying to put a "new spin", and a completely ridiculous one at that, on a classical story and making a total mess it if it.
If you like senseless blood and pointless slaughter, by all means read this drivel. Otherwise, find something worthwhile to do with your time and money.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I'm a big fan of Greek mythology and Theseus and the Minotaur has long been a favorite story of mine. While this comic isn't a very faithful adaptation of that story it's still a lot of fun to read and enough of the original story beats are still present that it's not really that big of a deal that they've gone and switched things up.

And why wouldn't they? Put their own spin on things I mean - It's not like the original suddenly disappears if you read this one and that's what you are stuck with.
Bea  Charmed
Decent artwork, okay story, nothing wonderful. My attention wandered frequently while reading. Visual details and character attitudes were sometimes anachronistic. Theseus was a typical spoiled brat, didn't change or develop much. Skip this one.
Andrew
I really like the concept of taking a classic story and fleshing it out - and of course adding in some new twists and turns. I was drawn to this book because I love the world of ancient Greece and the artwork is fantastic.

King Minos of Crete demands tributes from Athens to sacrifice to his adopted son the semi-mystical Minotaur trapped in the labyrinth designed by Daedalus. Theseus, the Prince of Athens, is tired of this - and also desirable of fame and heroism. He's approached by the Cretan Da
Barbara Senteney
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent graphic book, I guess they call it manga now days, but I just think of it as an adult comic book. I liked this a lot because you actually got a cohesive story and so I wasn't having my head spinning wondering how I got from point A to point R. I hate it when the story is compromised just because there is beautiful graphic art so they think it's ok. No it's not Ok. I want a true story, beginning, middle and end. This is a very adult, foul talking, sex insinuating, bloody book so enter a ...more
Alex Sarll
A retelling of the Theseus myth justified solely by its art - in particular the gorgeous, impossible intricacies of the towering, lowering Labyrinth, which is fit for comparison with Ranson's Mazeworld (though delivered in a very different style - far grottier and more organic, though who isn't?). Beyond that...well, we get the glaringly obvious (Theseus isn't a natural hero! He didn't do it alone! He's a flawed, rash and entitled kid who has to rise to the occasion to become a man - imagine my ...more
Sandra
May 02, 2018 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Muddled and surprisingly boring for all the blood and action. I'd say to read Bull by David Elliot for a better recent retelling of this story.
Juan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I found this to be a pretty entertaining take on a Greek myth. The story is very horrific in so many ways, it ranges from the alien like Minotaur, to the level of violence and death that most of the character experiences. The maze is a living object with a decide to inflict pain and delusions. Even King Minos is one character you have to root for his death.

The ending to this one is very unique and, for the time being, is just a mini-series. Hopefully the interest is enough to continue to get
Theediscerning
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
"It's all so... so clouded." Actually, the word is 'muddled' in modern parlance - the story here, a revisionist look at the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur, in the Labyrinth, is very muddled. There's no easy way in to know who is Greek and who Cretan, the action scenes really aren't drawn very well at all, and it all acts as a source of bluff and thunder, and not the more serious combination we had been expecting.
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Mythology is something I have long been fascinated by, an interest that formed when I was a child and stuck. While I sit on the fence most of the time with retellings of popular fairy tales or legends, I decided to give this one a try. Kill the Minotaur is written by Chris Pasetto and Christain Cantamessa with art by Lukas Ketner and Jean-Francois Beaulieu, and is a unique retelling of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur.

Kill the Minotaur retells the classic story of Theseus’ fight against the
Carrie Griffin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, graphic-novel
I have been a big fan of Greek Mythology since I was a kid. One of my favorites of the myths is the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur and I have read countless takes on it. I was very excited going into this graphic novel. This take on the myth is different but was an interesting way of twisting it. Athens lost a long war against Crete and now are forced to a pay a large tribute to King Minos. Every year, King Minos has the Athenians choose their best citizens to sacrifice to the labyrinth. It is ...more
Stephanie Jobe
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We’ve done all kinds of books in Acme Comics Book Club but I think this is actually the case in which I most truly had no clue what I was getting into. I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I hardly even know where to begin talking about it. In my head I keep using the word “cool” entirely too often. This is not your grandfather’s mythology. I don’t want to give spoilers but I was surprised again and again. I didn’t refresh myself on the myths before hand but found myself remembering as I went. Even though it is ve
John Haslach
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, while I was waiting for my phone to be repaired, I went to Big Planet Comics and got a comic I've been interested to take a look at. Kill the Minotaur. It's interesting... but I find it flawed. I feel the price of 20 bucks was too high, but I don't think this is bad through and through. It's a new take on the Theseus and the Minotaur Myth where the minotaur is a creature not unlike John Carpenter's the Thing. The story also has a slight science fiction bent to it with the Labyrinth being sli ...more
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
I think it is closer to a 2.5 but I went with 3 as a nod to the artwork and art direction. As stated by other reviewers, this is a retelling of the Theseus myth, mostly ascribing the Labyrinth and Minotaur to the existence of an alien pod and reversing the monster's birth myth (i.e. Pasipahe being raped by the Bull of Crete inside a cow construct and giving birth to it). I like the concept, I love the art.

BUT...

There are many character changes from the original, as well as character depictions t
Mars Dorian
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting new spin on the trapped Minotaur myth with lots of gore and horror.

I'm not going to summarize the story--read other reviews for that. I like the characters, especially Theseus, the spoiled Prince of Athens. He's a bit of a stereotype, but his attitude fits the scenario.
The story features a couple of twists once our heroes land in the ever-mutating labyrinth where the Minotaur is trapped.

The art is a joy to look at, carrying that classical European, Franco-Belgian style that's a
Elias
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful mix of mythology, Conan style sword and sandals adventure and lovecraftian squick, kill the minotaur sees the classic myth of Theseus and the labyrinth transmuted into the origin story for a whole archipelago of classic heroics and cosmic horror.

The art is beautiful, sickening, and indulgent. The Worldbuilding vibrant, the character motivations are overwrought as greek drama demands. The labyrinth is a force unto itself in this edition, cancerous vistas of warping space and temples
Jacopo Giuca
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Kill the Minotaur” non è una semplice rivisitazione del mito di Teseo e del Minotauro. La storia di Pasetto e Cantamessa ha delle caratteristiche uniche, che la incasellano immediatamente nell’olimpo delle grandi graphic novel della storia del fumetto moderno e che presenta qualità straordinarie ed estremamente cinematografiche. L’idea di colorare il mito di evidenti tinte horror terrorizza e spaventa in modo davvero efficace e le pieghe sci-fi che assume la narrazione della genesi del labirint ...more
Sarah Sherrin
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. This does not affect my opinion below.

I'm on the line with this book. I did love the artwork. It was crisp and understandable and very well drawn. The artwork was my favorite part of the whole thing with the exception of the minotaur. While the artwork for it was good, it didn't really look like a minotaur.
As far as the story goes, I adored Princess Ariande, but I agree with the reviews about Theseus' character. He seemed liked a spoiled brat who whined
Steve
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A retelling of the classic tale of Theseus, prince of Athens and King Minos' monstrous son. This book expands and takes liberties with the original myth and gives the characters a considerable amount of depth and humanity. The minotaur in this take is truly a thing of horror. My only complaint is that there are sections of the story which feel rushed, like a movie that has been obviously cut due to time constraints. Overall, a great read, particularly if you are a fan of horror, fantasy, or Gree ...more
Paul Allard
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantasy reworking of the Greek myth – nicely-illustrated

Taking the myth of the Minotaur in ancient Crete, the creators have elaborated and developed the story, including all the various characters and spinning the tale in an original fashion with much bloodshed and death.

Nicely-illustrated, the comic collection is worth a look, especially if you are not familiar with the original Greek myth. It might inspire the reader to get into Greek mythology as well.
Nate LaPrairie
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-manga
This was an extremely brutal and beautifully done story. If you enjoy mythology in any way, I think this is definitely a worthwhile read.
Kaiulani
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 - sci-fi take on Theseus and the Minotaur. Loved the art. Story didn’t do much for me.
Kenny
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A revisionist rendition with a more relatable Theseus.
Morgan Sorensen
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a fun twist on a classic myth that makes the minotaur a much more dangerous threat than many people envision
John Garrigan
Feb 21, 2018
Yakboss 61
Oct 06, 2018
P. D. Griffith
Jan 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Orange Cat and Other Cainsville Tales (Cainsville)
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3 (Kill or be Killed, #3)
  • Reborn: Book One
  • Pine and the Winter Sparrow
  • Aliens: Dead Orbit
  • Maya's Blanket/La Manta de Maya
  • Hellboy Omnibus Volume 4: Hellboy in Hell
  • The Demons We See (The Dark Abyss Of Our Sins, #1)
  • Descender: The Deluxe Edition Volume 1
  • Sweet Silver Bells
  • The Whole Package (Veteran Movers #1)
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 5: Mnemophobia & Chronophobia
  • The Babel Codex (Rogue Angel, #43.5)
  • Bear It All (1Night Stand, #25)
  • Head Lopper, Vol. 2: Head Lopper and the Crimson Tower
  • Doctor Strange by Donny Cates, Vol. 1: God of Magic
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 5: Secret Empire
  • The Gift

Kill the Minotaur (7 books)
  • Kill the Minotaur #1