Start by marking “Beneath the Lighthouse” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Lighthouse

Beneath the Lighthouse

SOME SECRETS ARE MADE TO BE UNCOVERED.

Sixteen-year-old Jamie McGuiness’s sister is dead. Sinking into a deep depression, he frequents the lighthouse where her body was discovered, unaware of the sinister forces surrounding him.

When an angry spirit latches onto Jamie, he’s led down a dark and twisted path, one that uncovers old family secrets, destroying everything Jamie ev
Published June 2018 by Vesuvian Books

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Lighthouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Lighthouse

Start your review of Beneath the Lighthouse
Autumn
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I have been waiting on this book ever since I saw the cover maybe last year I believe. I just was hoping that the book would be just as good as the cover makes it seems. I can say I was not disappointed with the story. I really loved how the author used some of the words that are used by the people of Ireland. Jamie has a rough life when his sister ends up murdered it just makes life at his home so much more worse. While visiting the lighthouse Jamie sees a ghost and when this ghost attaches her ...more
Stacy Fetters
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"From within the mirror, flesh swam toward him, crawling out of the glass. Her clammy fingers reached for him. Black veins traced over her skin. Her mouth opened in a silent scream. Dark matter dropped from her swollen lips. Her unblinking eyes stared hard into his. She moved closer to him, her dislocated jaw and broken teeth in full view. Without warning, a piercing screech erupted from her mouth and she charged toward him.”

Beneath the Lighthouse was one of those books where I thought I had it
Jessica Bronder
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jamie McGuiness lives in Northern Ireland and has a rough home life. His father is abusive and his mother has a hard time trying to keep the family going. Thus it falls to Jamie’s shoulders to be the parent to his younger siblings.

But he is having a hard time of things since his sister’s death three years earlier. He is depressed and haunts the lighthouse where her body was found. But he is not the only one at the lighthouse. An angry spirit is there and has attached herself to Jamie.

This is a
DawnMarie  Carpintero
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
5 mega stars

I received this book for my honest review.

There isn't really all that much to say about this book. Twisty, magnificent, heart-stopping and more.

The darkness of this book alone makes you want to read it till the end.
The thoughtfulness, love and honor bring you to a new height.

Simply put I couldn't put this book down and normally I don't read books like this so thank you.

Happy Sexy Reading
Heather
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg I love this book! I couldn't put it down. One twist and turn after another. Once you think you have it figured out a whole new twist comes! A must read for all!!
Susan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
love this story. this book is very intriguing. I like that the brother is the one seeing these things.
Valerie Roberson
I wasn’t sure how this book was going to go. But once I read the Prologue, I knew I was in for an amazing ride and I definitely wasn’t disappointed. This storyline was awesome! The true life horrors in some households, friends for life, abuse, paranormal, first love, betrayal and a new lease on life.
Teens starting summer vacation, one a life time friend, one who didn’t show her true colors, one a first love and one with a true heart tries to help a dead girl.
Life at home is brutal, but his f
Movies, Shows,
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: This review contains NO spoilers

Still getting goose bumps after reading this dark suspense-filled story. Julieanne Lynch weaved an incredibly intricate story of love, betrayal, and abuse with a twist of the paranormal and horror. This read gave me chills as Jamie's story/mystery unfolded. However, don't let the Irish lingo deter you from reading this. It took me a bit while to get used to it. It did lend to some difficult reading, but it was worth it.

Beneath the Lighthouse is no ordinary g
Katie Harder-schauer
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was hired to proofread this book. The only aspects of the story that I influenced were the spelling and grammar. If you feel that my connection to the story makes my review untrustworthy, so be it, but this is my honest review.

So the first thing you need to know is that this book is set in Ireland. And there is quite a bit of Irish slang incorporated into the characters dialogue. This was a bit jarring for me at first, and there were a few words and phrases that I had to look up when I first
MarytheBookLover
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
MY REVIEW

I really enjoyed this story. I loved that it was a haunting and that Jamie was trying to get his family away from the abuse. It wasn't a mystery who did the killing, but it was suspenseful on how it was going to come to an ending. I am glad that I read this tale as it was eerie and creepy to think you can be possessed. It freaks me out a little bit even.

Jamie is trying to figure out his life and what happened to his sister. As he does this he realizes things aren't always what they seem
Shandra
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Horrifying and Addictive

3.5 Stars

Horror novels are rarely "horrifying" these days -in my opinion, of course- which is why I truly was impressed with Beneath the Lighthouse: Julieanne Lynch does not spare the gory details or shy away from exposing the reader to true horror. If I had to compare this to someone else, I'd say it's horror done in the style of Jack Ketchum -ample misogyny, rampant violence against women, and "monsters" who are nothing more than men- and that's a real compliment as far
Nicole Emerald Book Reviews  McCurdy
Beneath the Lighthouse By Julienanne Lynch

5* review by Nicole @ Emerald Book Reviews

In a previous book review, I have referred to author Julieanne Lynch, as something akin to a literary unicorn.  This was not an embellishment in the least. Although I have been known to speak in hyperbole quite a bit and I get ridiculously excited about books, I am forever faithful and honest in my reviews.  So when I call Julieanne Lynch a literary unicorn, I simply mean, she gives credence to the term ‘multi-ge
Michele(mluker) Luker
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A dark tale with just the right amount of spook, this reader is so thrilled to go out of her comfort zone and devour this story and its emotional roller-coaster ride.

Jamie's family was a normal family. Having a strict father, but a loving one, Jamie's sister started being defiant and going against her father's wishes. She sneaks out one night, and that is when Jamie's life and family will change forever. Amer died a tragic way, and from that day, the family started to fall apart.

Jamie visits the
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
If its ghosts, creepiness, and lots of fun you are looking for - look no further!
I love a good ghost story, no matter how unrealistic it is and this one is pretty unrealistic. Now if you don't believe in ghosts you are thinking "Hmmm they are all unrealistic." But I do believe in ghosts. I guess that's why I love ghosts stories so much. This one is definitely full of lots of action!

This is not just a story about ghosts though.. it is a story of a family that is torn apart by abuse. It is rather
Melissa at My Chaotic Ramblings
I received a complimentary copy of this book. I voluntarily chose to read and post an honest review.
*Trigger warning for this book: domestic violence, rape, gore, emotional and physical abuse of minor children.

I was intrigued by the cover and the blurb. I refused to read any other reviews until I was more than halfway through the book, and honestly, I'm glad I did. I just wish I had been given warning to some of the content.
I liked the plot, but the Northern Ireland slang kept throwing me for a
Kathleen Kelly
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Sixteen-year-old Jamie McGuiness's sister is dead." That grabbed me right away. Plus the cover has a ghost and a lighthouse. That really had me. Jamie is 16 and his sister died in a terrible way, presumably an accident. His mother hides in her grief. His father has resorted to alcohol to hide his grief. His father also beats him and his wife. Jamie tends to stay away most of the time and spends time with his friend.

Jamie starts to get a visitation from a ghost, she is trying to tell him somethi
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
This is the first book by Julieanne Lynch I have read. I felt the characters were well developed and I connected with the MC, Jamie, on an emotional level. For me the story fell flat in that the author didn’t paint me a picture of the small town in Ireland or its inhabitants. I felt Lynch could have been more descriptive in those areas. Despite that Beneath the Lighthouse was a hauntingly disturbing emotionally charged ghost story that will left the hairs on my neck on end and goose bumps crawli ...more
Stephanie
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book on HG for free in exchange for an honest review. Jamie is dealing with the aftermath of his sister's death...a drunken father who is abusive to his mother and him when he stands in his way. Jamie takes care of his twin brothers and little sister and his mom. One day by a lighthouse he sees something but he thinks he is going mad...he is later talking and seeing this ghost Iliana. She shows and has him experience all she went thru and who killed her and what she saw that nigh ...more
Heather
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a while since I’ve read a great horror novel, and after reading the fantastic sci-fi novel It Takes Death To Reach a Star by Stu Jones and Gareth Worthington and seeing that they were recommending Beneath the Lighthouse by Julieanne Lynch, I definitely had to check it out based on the cool, interesting cover alone.

Sixteen-year-old Jamie McGuiness leads a life of abuse and depression, his main goal to protect his mother and younger siblings. With the sudden and mysterious death of his s
Clota
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free copy of the eBook in exchange for a honest review.

This is a fun, fast read, full of old-school ghostly events. It is definitely a Young Adult novel, and has trigger points (such as abuse and rape), so it isn't ideal for younger audiences.

That being said, I enjoyed the character development, especially for Jaime and his best friend, Lenny. You could actually feel their bond! The story takes place in a small town in Ireland, so the "accent" and customs within the story is true o
Scarlet
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deliciously dark and addictive

The story follows a teenage boy who not only has to deal with the normal issues a teenager has to go through but also the loss of his sister and a destructive, abusive home life. The only saviour is his best friend who is always there for him. But when he starts seeing things he’s not sure anyone can help him and is convinced he’s losing his mind.
I was addicted to this book from page one. It’s fast paced and edged with chaos and mystery each step of the way keeping
Samantha Lundergn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story as it was very unique. It did take me a while to understand some of the terms because some of the slang is British and I am an American. I really enjoyed the character Jaime as he had Asperger's and had to deal with the death of his sister and a very abusive home situation. The plot Kept me on my toes and guessing through out the entire story. This book has some very dark themes that can be heartbreaking at times.
Evelyn Sword
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beneath the Lighthouse is a spine-chilling suspenseful thriller. Iliana is looking for revenge, she turns to her killers son named Jamie for help! But that's not all, Jamie's girlfriend, Claire has a secret of her own. This story will keep you awake at night.
Brandy Stuart
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fecking brilliant!!! This story sucked me in from the beginning! New twists and turns around every corner. Julieanne makes you fall in love with the characters, then breaks your heart. Just when you think she couldn’t possibly top her last book, she proves you wrong. A must read!!!
Alex Parham
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this truly dark and macabre book...quite the page turner!
Cindy. Brown
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so much better than I was expecting!!
It was well written. The plot was executed beautifully. The twist at the end had my heart pounding!
Emma Causer
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Jamie's story! I was definitely drawn in by the cover when I first saw it and when I read the synopsis I knew I had to read this book.

Following Jamie's turbulent homelife and learning about his past was heartbreaking but it showed just how much Julieanne had invested in her hero.

The story was so well written and flowed so effortlessly that I didn't want it to end. This story has plenty of twists and turns I was annoyed everytime I had to put it down to 'adult' because there w
Denise O'berry
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a ghost story!!!

Amazingly written keeps your interest and has several surprises you don’t see coming. This is a must read for ghost story lovers
Laura Thomas
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal, ya
Whenever I see the words haunted or possessed in a book description my attention zeroes in. Imagine my delight when I read that this has both.

The haunting starts fairly quickly and the blurb already tells you who’s the haunter and the hauntee. I felt that worked well as the author got right down to business. The haunting starts gradually with some odd events but soon, Jamie can’t even sleep in his own room. Later he hesitates to even go in his own house. Doesn’t matter once he gets possessed. Th
Michelle Willms
Jamie has a rough life. His dad is an abusive drunk, and his mother has become unable to function sometimes due to the abuse. Jamie is a kind teenager, helping his mom take care of his three younger siblings. Jamie is still grief-stricken over the death of his sister, which occurred three years earlier. He’s overjoyed when he discovers that a girl in his class is not the snob he thought and finds that she seems to like him. Maybe his life is actually looking up…. except for the ghost that seems ...more

• Death by the River
  • Jinxed
  • The Immortal Gene
  • Jaclyn and the Beanstalk
  • The Journal of Angela Ashby
  • 7th Grade Revolution
  • Damned (Magnus Blackwell, #1)
  • The Secret Brokers
  • Children of the Fifth Sun
  • The Scythian Trials
  • Children of the Fifth Sun: Echelon
  • Realm
  • Rosecliff Manor Haunting (Addison Lockhart, #2)
  • Blackwell (Magnus Blackwell, #0.5)
  • Seabreeze Inn (Summer Beach #1)
  • The Night Weaver
  • Speak No Evil
  • Seize (A Magnus Blackwell Novel, Book 3)
Julieanne Lynch is an author of YA and Adult genre urban fantasy books. Julieanne was born in Northern Ireland, but spent much of her early life in London, United Kingdom, until her family relocated back to their roots.
Julieanne lives in Northern Ireland with her family, where she is a full-time author. She studied English Literature and Creative Writing at The Open University, and considered jour

News & Interviews