Start by marking “The Dog's Last Walk” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Dog's Last Walk

Howard Jacobson

The Dog's Last Walk

A collection of Man Booker Prize-winner Howard Jacobson's acclaimed journalism.

Hilarious, heartbreaking, provocative, and affecting--Howard Jacobson's irresistible journalism from the Independent reveals the Man Booker Prize-winning novelist in all his humanity.

From the tiniest absurdities to the most universal joys and desolations, Jacobson writes with a thunder, passion,
Published June 18th 2015 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

To ask other readers questions about The Dog's Last Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog's Last Walk

Start your review of The Dog's Last Walk
Mike
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Late in this book, Jacobson writes: ‘Out there at this very moment, in lofts, basements, lean-tos and neglected gardens, a thousand otherwise genial-tempered hacks are rubbing the lamp of intemperate opinion to coax out a view immoderately enthusiastic or grossly derogatory, it hardly matters which, and the distinction probably won’t be noticed anyway on celebrity chefs, wayward footballers, twerking pop stars, tattooed nobodies and any one of a thousand comedians whose routine is ...more
Shirley Revill
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: factual
I listened to the audiobook version of this story and the narration was really good.
Loved the book but found I could only listen in short segments or my attention wandered.
All in all not a bad book and even though It took me some time to finish the book I did enjoy the story in the end.

Amanda
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Wonderful writing!
Jim
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read none of Jacobson's novels and have absolutely no desire to given the highbrow literature label that they seem to have. But this collection of his columns for The Independent newspaper are short doses that absolutely hit the mark. I find very, very few books these days that it's even worth noting a sentence or an observation from, but with Jacobson there's something that makes you pause for thought on every other page. And he's funny with it, even if you feel that some of the jokes are ...more
George
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. An easy to read, witty book of over ninety, three page column articles written by Jacobson during the period 2010 to 2016 for the Independent newspaper. If you enjoy Jacobson's writing style, his wit and would like to know more about him, you should enjoy this book. Amongst other things I found out that Jacobson likes D.H. Lawrence and Shakespeare, is not happy with bike riders, believes in freedom of speech.

Here are some quotes I liked:

"A generation has grown up that - online, at
Aronz
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Howard Jacobson and to my mind, he has written some truly great books. Whilst this collection has some moments, I found the subjects disjointed and lacking in flow. This might sound obvious since this is a collection of articles published in a newspaper. It might also just be that Mr. Jacobson is a better author than he is journalist.
Caitilin Jones
Something a little different. Newspaper columns from the Independent. Everything from love to politics, Jacobson is pretty unforgiving with his opinion pieces. Have to admit, some chapters were inaccessible as many of the political/cultural references went straight over the head of this young Australian.Very thought-provoking though.
Hubcon
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
listened as audio book, read by the author. I liked the comments on society and his story telling of his experiences. I am just not as well read, and sadly lacking the knowledge of every word in the English language.
Kent Winward
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacobson on darts, cyclists, writing, and being his entertaining self.
Denise
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much a snooze, for me anyway.
Antonis

• The Accidental Billionaire
  • The Lifters
  • The Story of Captain Nemo
  • A Keeper
  • Silent Voices (Vera Stanhope, #4)
  • Die Last (Max Wolfe, #4)
  • Inside Vogue: My Diary Of Vogue's 100th Year
  • Snakehead (China Thrillers, #4)
  • Black & Blue (Detective Harriet Blue, #0.5)
  • Jacob's Room is Full of Books: A Year of Reading
  • Cloudstreet
  • Dead Men's Bones (Inspector McLean, #4)
  • An Almost Perfect Christmas
  • Wellmania: Misadventures in the Search for Wellness
  • The Universal Exception
Howard Jacobson was born in Manchester, England, and educated at Cambridge. His many novels include The Mighty Walzer (winner of the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize), Who’s Sorry Now? and Kalooki Nights (both longlisted for the Man Booker Prize), and, most recently, The Act of Love. Jacobson is also a respected critic and broadcaster, and writes a weekly column for the Independent. He lives in ...more