Start by marking “The Fight to Survive (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fight to Survive (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1)

The Fight to Survive (Star Wars: Boba Fett #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,144 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
The evolution of the ultimate badguy: one of the most popular Star Wars characters ever comes to life in this spin-off from Episode II.
Published April 23rd 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Fight to Survive, please sign up.

GregoryRJ8 (Gregory James) He never dies; He kills off all the Jedi as he claims his title as the new lord and savior, forming a new religion known as: "Fettian."

Brandon Rooney
I knew going into this book that it was designed for young readers, and it didn't disappoint. The large print, easy to follow plot, and shortened chapters are perfect to keep the young readers attention. But does everything have to be child like? What kind of a story involving Boba Fett has toys, hugs and tears, and fear?

I got the impression that this story had little messages in it, such as; Don't trust strangers, Put your heart into something and you can do it, Believe, Being a clone is okay,
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great look at one of the most enigmatic Star Wars characters.
Carson Charves
Malcolm (Jimi) High
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series about Boba Fett's childhood is almost more to the Star Wars movie series, telling us even more about the Fett family and its connections with the Rebels and the Jedi's. The Fett Family (2 Clones- one Jango and the other Boba-) are a bounty hunting family, but Bobas dad (Jango Fett) is dead from a Jedi named Mace Windu (you may know him- he has a purple LightSaber,) and Boba wants to claim his revenge and avenge his father's death and he now hates the Jedi. When I read all 157/160 pag ...more
Haley S
Born to be a Bounty Hunger
Boba Fett is not like other boys. His father, Jango Fett, is a bounty hunter. His planet, Kamino, is home to an army of clones. He has no friends, no school. The on thing he does have is a future as a bounty hunter.
This future comes quickly. Suddenly Boba Fett is all alone in a dangerous galaxy. he must struggle for safety - and vengeance - using his strength, his intelligence, and his father's hard lessons.
Bob Fett will grow up to be one of the most feared bounty hunte
Shane Amazon
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although the book is aimed at a younger audience the author did a fine job bringing a fair amount of depth to the book. The character of Boba for years had been described as a heartless bounty hunter only concerned with profit. What George Lucas and Terry Bliss have done is to mold him into a far more complicated character. What I gathered from this book is that Boba is someone who is both comfortable and uncomfortable in Jengo's shadow. Even though he is a clone, Boba is raised as a son, a son ...more
May 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
Star Wars: Boba Fett #1: The Fight to Survive, by Terry Bisson

This Boba Fett series is aimed at younger readers, but as Boba Fett is one of my favorite Star Wars characters, I read everything I can find on him. This is book one of a six book series.

"The Fight to Survive" covers the events of the film, "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones," and expands on Jango's death, Boba's upbringing, life on Kamino, and what Boba did after his father died.

The writing is at a 9 to 12 year old level,
This isn't my first Bisson read, but I couldn't tell you much about the other two, since I can't remember a thing about them. Knowing that Bisson was an established science fiction author, though, gave me high hopes for the book. Maybe that's why I feel so disappointed with it.

As the title suggests, this is the story of Boba Fett, but since this is the first in a series, what we get is just the very beginning of that story. More than half of the novel is made up of Boba's story from Episode II,
Ursula Johnson
What Happened to Boba After Genonosis

This is the first book in a series about the young Bob's Fett. While this book is aimed at youth, adult fans will enjoy the story of what happened to Boba after Jango Fett's death in the battle of Geonosis in Episode 2, Attack of the Clones. Bounty hunter fans will enjoy the tips and detail on the lifestyle of a bounty hunter in this era. 10 year old Bob's is learning quickly to adjust to life without his father and his adventures have only just begun.
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I picked it up on a whim and read through it quickly. It's a book for young readers that retells some of the events from Episode II from boy Boba Fett's eyes. It's the beginning of a series and seemed plausible to me, even as an adult fan of the Star Wars sagas.
Grace Hutchinson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this series probably in the fourth grade. I read them out of order mainly because they were from the library. As a kid, they are really good and really easy to grasp the details. As a teenager, they are too easy. These books are geared more toward kids right around the age of ten or eleven, like Boba.
Melissa Namba
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, coplin
wish I could say that this was a better book. my lack of interest in star wars might be tainting my opinion. this sets up an interesting back story, especially where Bobba Fett is a clone with personality. but overall, too many things just thrown together. death of jango fett, rubbing from jedi, meeting more bounty hunters, etc.
this book is a) iconic b) eternal

jango fett's space eel. space angels. a furry snake with its face in the middle of its body. boba fett's library books.

some hate it.

some love it.

infinite stars
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all: I love Boba Fett. I tried to get my hamds on everything to do with the galaxoes most notorious and best bounty hunter. The bokks are for a younger group but I really loved it. The writing is exciting and I got hooked so bad I read them all in 3 days.
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fast paced, adventure packed Boba Fett book to keep my son and I entertained. The build up to the moment we knew was coming, was well worth the wait.
Timothy Wallace
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Looking forward to reading books 2 and 3.
Brett Harris
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! Interesting to see things from Boba's perspective and how he became the bounty hunter we all know and love
Star Wars Legends Project #103

Background: The Fight to Survive was written by Terry Bisson and published in April 2002. Bisson wrote the first two books in the Boba Fett series, but has no other Star Wars credits. He is a successful science fiction writer who has won a number of prestigious awards, particularly for his short stories.

The Fight to Survive takes place mostly during the events of Attack of the Clones, 22 years before the battle of Yavin. The young Boba Fett is the main character,
Chloe (aka Crystal)
This book was okay.. but honestly:
It only kept my interest until Jango Fett died and after that I was so bored.. until the ending.. :P
The book had large print which made the book seem longer, so I'm thinking it was meant for a fourth graders etc.
Darryl Dobbs
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll review the first four books of this series, since they're quick novellas geared towards young adults.

What a great idea. At first, I wasn’t looking forward to reading about a 10-year-old kid who is capable of far more than he should. But I grew quickly absorbed in the books. The first book, The Fight to Survive, gave us side stories to Attack of the Clones. Boba and his father Jango spending time together, and how Jango trained him to be a Mandalorian warrior from as soon as he could walk. B
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I would prefer a more mature take on Boba Fett, considering I'm almost 30, and some of the young adult language (CRASH!) was a little silly, but I enjoyed my time with it.

I'm sure I will say this about all of them once I finish the series, but they are quick, easy reads. Nothing more, nothing less. Entertaining because Boba is a great character and it's cool to see how he progresses.

I was a little bored with the parts that just talked about what basically happened in the movie (as I recently wat
Jaime Krause
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This is written for very young readers, and is more simplistic than the Jedi Apprentice & Jedi Quest series. The quality of writing too is less, IMO.

Boba Fett reads a lot, mainly because Zam Wessell prompted him to. I like that.
I find it strange that he was reading books. At the point this book was released, readers knew that 'books' were ancient. If Bisson had said 'holobooks' I'd be okay but it sounded like Boba was reading paper books. It was strange.

But through books, Boba learns of fri
Alexander Draganov
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
"The Fight to Survive" is a strong beginning to YA series, dedicated to one of the most popular SW characters ever, Boba Fett. This book shows us how he began his path. We see the events in Episode II, told from Boba's point of view and sympathize with him when he loses his father - a villain in the movie, a hard, but honest man in this book. We see how Boba, a 10 years old kid, tries to survive in a very hostile galaxy and sees life as it is from very early age - full with loss and betrayal.
Amariah Dixon
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the series that got me into reading. I love this series. When I was about 11/12, I was a Star Wars fanatic! (And I still love it)
I watched the movies and played the Lego video games that were based off of SW. I devoured these books--one reason being that I really liked the kid Boba Fett character. As well as the adult. This is a great series for any child who enjoys action and adventure. Especially if they are Star Wars fans! It's a lot of fun for both boys and girls. The youngest
advanced 4th - 5th

This is the first in a Star Wars spin off based off of the character Boba Fett. This book has 167 pages, it is not too long and it will engage a reader that is interested in science-fiction or star wars. The sentence length is about 8-12 words per sentence, and the structure is very simple, with very few commas or other punctuation marks that might be confusing to beginning readers.

Language Arts, Science

Lesson Plan: There is a section where the character Boba Fett is lost in s
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my son, who is a huge Star Wars fan, and it was really interesting. Of course, it's Star Wars and there is a lot of fighting, but it's not overly violent. The book takes place right before the death of Boba Fett's father, Jango Fett. Ten year old Boba is then on his own has to fend for himself. I thought it was very well written and dealt with the difficult subject of Jango's death well. We're on the 6th book of the series and I recommend the series to any Star Wars fan.
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My son found this at a 2nd hand store and bought it for .50 cents and has sucked us both into the life story of Boba Fett. In this 1st of 6 books in the series Boba is 10 years old. The books are told in his point of view which has brought so much humanity into his character in comparison with the brief glimpses of him we get from the movies. Learning about the complexity of this character has been a lot of fun for me and my son just can't get enough of hearing me read about his exciting adventu ...more
Jesse Zellmer
I read this when I was a lot younger so it was alright. I know that I wouldn't like it now but at the same time it's geared towards kids so I'm not expected to. This means that all the characters are dumbed down to what they could be, and they're still three-dimensional, it's just isn't as dark as it could be, and if it was this book would have been more compelling. The plot is fine and weaves in and out rather well with episode II, and it flows well enough on its own. So an alright book but I'd ...more
Scott Vout
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Better then I was warned, not as good as I had hoped.

This seemed very young adult to me. Now there is nothing wrong with young adult books - I have read many that were more adult then young. That is what I was hoping for here.

I thought it would be a good read to find out how Boba Fett became Boba Fett. This one was just a little too simple for me.

Younger readers - go for it. For me - not so much
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce n'est pas un grand récit mais ce livre jeunesse de niveau intermédiaire est très bien. Il plaira au jeune lecteur. Les écritures sont grandes, les phrases simples et tout est très bien expliqué. Dans la première partie du livre, nous suivons Boba lors du film l'Attaque des clones. La seconde partie se déroule après le film. L'univers Star Wars est fidèle à ce qu'on connait (lieux, personnages, vaisseaux). Une bonne lecture pour un jeune fan de Star Wars.
  • Maze of Deception (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #3)
  • The Shadow Trap (Star Wars: Jedi Quest, #6)
  • Renegade (Star Wars: Rebel Force #3)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • Kenobi's Blade (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #6)
Terry Ballantine Bisson is an American science fiction and fantasy author best known for his short stories, including "Bears Discover Fire" (1990), which which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards, as well as They're Made Out of Meat (1991), which has been adapted for video often.

Adapted from Wikipedia.
More about Terry Bisson...

Star Wars: Boba Fett (9 books)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Maze of Deception (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #3)
  • Hunted (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #4)
  • A New Threat (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #5)
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • Star Wars: Boba Fett Sammelband #1
  • Star Wars: Boba Fett Sammelband #2
  • Star Wars: Boba Fett Set (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1-6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake