Start by marking “The Defenders of the Dead (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Defenders of the Dead (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #5)

The Defenders of the Dead (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  2,057 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The Defenders of the Dead live in the past while they destroy the future. They face a revolt of the Young--a band of rebels led by two teenagers, Cerasi and Nield.

Published December 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Defenders of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Defenders of the Dead

Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Our mission here hasn't even begun, and already I have seen enough suffering to last a lifetime." Qui-Gon's gaze was sad. "There are some worlds that manage to hold onto peace for centuries, Padawan. But I am afraid that many have seen terrible wars that scar the memories of each generation. It has always been."

Following the format of the previous books, this one begins right where the last one left off, after the Gala incident. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are now ordered to the planet of Melida/Daan,
Meredith Miyake
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of my favorites, if rather grim and full of feels. I gotta say, though: Obi-wan is 13 and so has some excuse, but Qui-gon, you have some serious trust issues that need addressing. Somebody give this man a hug, seriously.
Natasha
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book provided me with a bit of information about Obi-Wan that shocked me! I can't say or it would spoil it all, but I can say you should read it! You'll be amazed!
S.Michelle
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Melinda/Daan arc is one of my all-time favorites. It shows how bad Qui-Gon is at being anyone's Master (at the time, he gets better) and how difficult Obi-Wan finds it to be his Padawan.

They are both struggling with trust and communication; I don't think they ever really learn how to communicate, they just use the Force as a stopgap to make up for the lack. Seriously, the Jedi need therapists to learn how to talk to each other and how to interact with the world at large. 🙄

Anyways, I'm defini
Thomas
Book four in the Jedi Apprentice series isn't playing around. The stakes here are high, and the events are unexpected. Qui-Gon and Obi Wan are on a new planet, Melida/Daan, so named because two factions have been at war with one another for centuries, and can't agree on the planet's name. The two Jedi are there to rescue another Jedi who has been captured by one of the factions, but while there, Obi Wan falls under the spell of the Young, a third faction made up of the children of the other two ...more
Drew Ck
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
On the planet Melida/Daan, so named because the people there are stuck in perpetual civil war between the two factions. Obi Wan and Qui Gon are called in to mediate a peace treaty, and to find fellow Jedi Tahl. While there Obi Wan meets a third faction made up from the youth on both sides tired of the decades-long bloodshed between the two. The Young are using sabotage and subversion to end the war peacefully which causes Obi Wan to feel drawn to their cause.
Jen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
WHY DID I NOT GRAB THE NEXT FIVE BOOKS OUT OF STORAGE I NEED THEM NOW this series is really too good at the cliffhangers.

So, having successfully bonded and learned and done all sorts of good work on Gala, the dynamic duo heads off to rescue another Jedi on Melida/Daan, a planet that felt eerily like the Israeli-Palestinian mess to me. There a new split has occurred: no longer is it only Melida vs. Daan, now it is also young vs. old in who decides the future of the war-torn planet.

This gets into
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #45

Background: The Defenders of the Dead came out in December 1999. It was written by Jude Watson.

The Defenders of the Dead begins pretty shortly after the end of The Mark of the Crown (my review), 44 years before the Battle of Yavin and 12 years before The Phantom Menace. The only major recurring character (other than Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon) is the Jedi Knight Tahl, a close friend of Qui-Gon's who played a major role in Star Wars: Jedi, Volume 1: The Dark Side (my revie
Anime Mage
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know what… I had my doubts about this book. But you know what it was so good. The writing was mostly good, the storyline was incredibly interesting, the world building was awesome, and there are ton of emotional moments. I like the Civil War storyline very much. And I also like how quite Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan played off the other characters. Additionally, I also thought that the supporting characters were done very well.

So in conclusion, this book is probably the best one in the series. This i
Lisa
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, star-wars
Obi Wan is in conflict between his Jedi upbringing and what he feels is right on the planet Melida/Daan. This is the ultimate coming of age story where the young apprentice challenges the master. Kids will eat this story up and love how the children of this planet are trying to save it.
Julie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This starts a new arc wherein Obi-Wan's commitment to the Jedi Order is sorely tested. He's running up against a wall that Qui-Gon also often hits, where his belief in what is the morally "right" answer is contrary to what the Order would tell him to do. There's a lot of gray area here.
Jurgen
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Obi-wan, so youthfull and full of passion...
Melissa Namba
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, coplin
I'm less a fan of this book than the earlier ones because this one is very war focused. although it doesn't encourage war, it does make kids think it is normal. it also is focused on going against parents and grand parents.
Brad
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, star-wars
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are on a planet locked in a centuries old blood feud between two races. Both accusing each other of heinous war crimes. When the children of the two warring factions rise up to stop the bloodshed, who will the Jedi side with...
Iset
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The main problem with the Jedi Apprentice series is that the books are too short, and as a result, the depth of the characterisations really suffers. As does the description, since it’s a children’s book. For some reason I just didn’t take to the plot of this one, though I think it was a good thing that they tackled a war torn situation, and you did get angry with the Elders’ senseless fighting. I could also understand Obi-Wan’s struggle and the book did end on a great cliff-hanger. Obi-Wan’s ch ...more
Little Obi Wan
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan go to Melida/Daan to rescue Tahl, the Jedi peacekeeper who went there. She was gravely wounded and captured by the Melida, and so Yoda dispatches more Jedi to rescue her.

Young Obi-Wan Kenobi is a Jedi apprentice, he's not supposed to become emotionally involved in a conflict. But when he meets Cerasi and Nield, the young and charismatic leaders of the Young on the planet of Melida/Daan, he is immediately swept up in their just cause. The Elders of the planet are nothing more
Gary Gotham
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jerry
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many teens and adults find juvenile chapter books to be childish and not worth their time, but I think right many of my bibliophile friends would agree with me when I say that the former group of people is simply missing out. Jedi Apprentice, an eighteen-book Star Wars saga that takes place before The Phantom Menace, is a perfect example of why. The story is engaging, and it opens a window into the beloved character of Obi-Wan Kenobi, as well as his Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn well before either of ...more
Nick Alexander
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Any body who has read the other books in the series.
Ruth
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jewels
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-owned
At the time these novels are set in, Obi-Wan is a teenager. Being a teenager means that he has the requisite hormones raging and the "I'm totally right about everything!" attitude in full gear. However, his break with Qui-Gon strikes me as something that the character wouldn't do after spending the first three previous novels trying so hard to win Qui-Gon over and become his Padawan. I'm not sure I like where this is headed either, with adults being willing to kill their own children in order to ...more
Michael Yankovich
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are sent to rescue a fellow Jedi on a planet at war. There is no reasoning with the two warring factions, and Obi-Wan is drawn to an underground group called the Young: the children of the groups at war, who are desperate to stop the fighting. Obi-Wan must decide whether he belongs with the Young, despite being ordered to not get involved, or to continue along with his Jedi training.

Another so-so entry in the Jedi Apprentice series. Great for kids and Star Wars completists, b
Mike Jozic
I would give it another half star if I could. I genuinely enjoyed this installment of the series. I know it isn't canon but seeing as this all takes place pre-Phantom Menace it still stands more or less as totally valid early tales of Qui-gon and Obi-wan. There are some good developments with character and the dynamic between the two jedi and Obi-wan's conflict is handled well. I'm curious to see where Jude Watson takes the story as I know the next book is a continuation of this particular story ...more
Jaime Krause
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon land on Melida-Daan to rescue the missing Jedi Master Tahl. Unfortunately, the planet is in the midst of a years-long war that has split the people so much that they are either Melida or Daan - there is no compromise.

I find it hilarious that Obi-Wan flies in near-lunacy, though not as bad as Anakin.

The Melida and Daan are very one-sided, but the Young want to stop the war. And they wheedle their way into Obi-Wan's heart.
Alayne
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

Hacía banda que no leía esta saga, me re colgué.

Por alguna razón no puedo evitar imaginarme a Obi Wan como Anakin en episodio I. Y hay algo que me parece raro y me llamó la atención: si en las películas varias veces Anakin le dice a Obi Wan grande "olvidaba que no le gustaba volar" y cosas así, ¿por qué en estos libros es un gran piloto, como Anakin? Eso hace que me confunda aun más.

Ese final estuvo interesante. Ya mismo sigo retomando la saga.
David
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Thirteen-year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn are not supposed to take sides in any war. But once Obi-Wan meets Cerasi and Nield, he feels he must join their fight...even though Qui-Gon forbids it.

The rebellion has become personal.

And Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are on opposing sides.
Jeff Cothern
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it

The Defenders of the Dead live in the past while they destroy the future. They face a revolt of the Young -- a band of rebels led by two teenagers. Cerasi and Nield.Thirteen-year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn are not supposed to take sides in any war. But once Obi-Wan meets Cerasi and Nield, he feels he must join their fight . . . even though Qui-Gon forbids it.The rebellion has become personal.And Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are on opposing sides.

Shawn Fairweather
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
The title is a bit misleading, in reality this is a story of a war embattled in civil war that Qui Gon and Obi Wan are assigned to visit and to hopefully bring peace however things start to go awry as Obi Wan finds himself siding with one side of the combatants. Pretty slow moving and kinda dry for the most part.
Just A. Bean
In which Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan get in a terrible life choices war which climaxes in betrayal, abandonment and a cliff hanger. Plus everyone on that planet is totally wacko, and there are a lot of feelings.
Camden
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
a) OBI-WAN NOOOOOOOO WHO WILL TRAIN ANAKIN NOW
b) I'm like 80 years too old for this. to be emotionally involved in this. I am too old.
c) One time my homework quoted Attack of the Clones quite extensively and yet still I did not finish it as quickly as I finished this book.
d) ugh
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • Vader's Fortress (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #5)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Return to Ord Mantell (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #12)
  • Renegade (Star Wars: Rebel Force #3)
  • The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
  • Eaten Alive (Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, #1)
  • The Lost City of the Jedi (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #2)

Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)
  • The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)
  • The Mark of the Crown (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #4)
  • The Uncertain Path (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #6)
  • The Captive Temple (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #7)
  • The Day of Reckoning (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #8)
  • The Fight for Truth (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #9)
  • The Shattered Peace (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #10)
  • The Deadly Hunter (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99