Start by marking “The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)

The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #2)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,986 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Qui-Gon Jinn's past is not at rest. How can he forge a bond with young Obi-Wan Kenobi while he is haunted by the betrayal of his first apprentice--Xanatos? Xanatos was also a promising student . . . until the dark side of the Force intervened. Qui-Gon thought he was gone forever.

But now Xanatos is back. And he wants revenge.
Published June 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Rival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Rival

Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm obviously having a moment with nostalgic Star Wars rereads!
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Upon a grown-up re-read, these are surprisingly still awesome. I am a 25 year old woman, and I stand by this statement.
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
As this particular series are children's books, I've rated them as such - and not against adult level novels with the same rating. My reviews for these are also a bit shorter; just a few comments here and there.

Overall fairly good. It was quite frustrating to see Obi-Wan go through another book with the threat of rejection from the Jedi Order looming over his head, but it did build up the anticipation. Once more, the plot wasn’t exactly stellar, especially the part that saw Obi-Wan on the deep s
Lucy Ghost
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-spanish, on-pdf

Qué hermoso cuando por fin pasa lo que tenía que pasar...
Me muero.
Me encantó este volumen. Es muy lindo. La historia es corta y sencilla pero el final lo vale... Lo vale mucho...
Me encantó cómo al final Qui-Gon por fin acepta a Obi-Wan como su aprendiz. Era obvio, pero me encantó.
Soy fan de Star Wars desde hace mucho tiempo pero con estas novelas cortas me he dado cuenta de la infinita sabiduría cósmica de Yoda. Mis citas favoritas de esta serie son todas
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-wars
Non ho proprio capito perché è considerato un libro per bambini/giovanissimi, ma fa lo stesso sono troppo fan di Star Wars per curarmene.
Ero curiosa di sapere qualcosa sulla storia di Xanatos/Qui-gon che conoscevo solo per sentito dire, quindi questo libro mi incuriosiva parecchio.
E' senza dubbio migliore del primo, la storia è scorrevole e si legge bene e sono curiosa di sapere come andrà a finire!

"Yoda!" Xanatos spat the word. "That knee-high troll! He thinks he has power.
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I FORGOT ABOUT XANATOS. I forgot about Qui-Gon's completely trashy former padawan. I forgot that what the entirely questionable dynamic duo of Qui-Gon and young Obi-Wan needed was an even more questionable sexy evil apprentice that Jude Watson created for dubious motives. Anyway, for many of the same reasons as The Rising Force, The Dark Rival is a fun short read and a good nostalgia trip from my childhood. Thanks for being really weird, Jude Watson.
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Molto, Molto meglio del primo. Non soltanto perché Xanatos è un personaggio interessante ma perché la trama ha molti più spunti del primo libro, e si legge sicuramente meglio.
Cris Lightwood
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
En realidad es un 3.5, porque este libro ha sido mucho mejor que el primero. El salseo y los feels han conseguido que lo disfrutara el doble que su primera parte. Deseando continuar con la saga.
Awwwwwww *I'm making this weird disgusting noise* Obi-Wan, you little chubby fluffy thing °~.▪•¤

The symbolism in this book astounds me, considering it is a junior young adult novel. About the symbolism, (view spoiler)
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, star-wars
La verdad que no sé si cada vez se pone mejor o están casi todos igual de buenos, pero sí que es atrapante la historia.
(¡al fin aceptó Qui-Gon a Obi-Wan como Padawan!)
Más allá de que uno -habiendo visto las películas y siendo fan de star wars- sabe que tarde o temprano van a terminar siendo maestro y aprendiz, desespera e inquieta bastante lo mucho que tarda y duda en aceptarlo a Obi-Wan. De todas maneras, lo hace aún más atrapante y entretenido, pero no pude evitar sonreír cuando finalmente
Miss Clark
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Michael Yankovich
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh nostalgia. I grew up with these books and decided to reread them for my chronological Star Wars reading adventure. Nice and short, showing how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan became master and Padawan. We're introduced to Xanatos, Qui-Gon's former Padawan now turned enemy. All in all a solid short read.
Drew Ck
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Despite sharing an adventure with Qui Gon, Obi Wan is still not his apprentice. Deciding to accept his new job, Obi Wan strives to learn all he can about using the force to nurture plants, until he is captured by Xanatos, a former Apprentice of Qui Gon's until Xanatos turned to the dark side.
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Obi-Wan Kenobi, me sentiría honrado aceptándote como mi padawan.

Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Good book. Glad that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan became Master and Padawan. Wonder if they will see Xanatos again.

Can't wait to read more Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice novels!!!!!
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up in the Jedi Apprentice series. Book 2 details the further adventure of how Obi Wan became Qui Gon's padawan. Looking forward to the next book. 4.5/5
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I am still all on board for mentor relationships, especially this one because I <3 Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon all day long. This is an entertaining read that actually does keep suspense, surprising for so short a volume. Watson is clever, though, and builds in betrayals and layers and all sorts of things that keep you guessing--not in an "oh he might not survive!" kind of way but in a "wait is he really totally awful?" kind of way. It suffers from the kids' book need for all the good characters to b ...more
I'm hopping back to this series, having started with a few volumes of the Jedi Quest series. I'm really liking seeing the relationship develop between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. The author really puts a lot of effort into showing us what each one is feeling about things and so you can really see how two flawed people are developing their relationship (or not, at any given moment). They both make a lot of mistakes, Qui-Gon being heavily influenced by the betrayal of his former apprentice (did they *rea ...more
Star Wars Legends Project #42

Background: The Dark Rival came out in May 1999, 2 weeks before The Phantom Menace was released in theaters (on the exact same day as the previous book in the series, The Rising Force, in fact, my review). It was written by Jude Watson. Watson is quite prolific in the Star Wars YA catalog, having written the remaining 19 Jedi Apprentice books, all 11 Jedi Quest books, and all 10 Last of the Jedi books, as well as various others. She's also written several non-Star
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, star-wars
It would have been so much better without all the inconsistencies. At the end of the first book of the series Obi Wan has accepted his fate to be a farmer, at the beginning of this one he has angry again. Hutt's can't be persuaded by the Force yet Qui Gon easily manipulated a Hutt. And I thought Agri Corps was run by Jedi? In this one a native of the planet is in charge and there is no one around. You would think Obi Wan would have recognized some former trainees but no.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Otra entretenida entrega de esta saga para jóvenes lectores que resulta mucho más interesante que otras novelas más sesudas del antiguo universo de Star Wars. Es una continuación directa de la primera entrega, con la que forma una suerte de díptico que sienta las bases de lo que será la serie Jedi Apprentice. Mientras se mantenga el nivel (y seguramente lo hará, porque es la misma autora la de casi todas las novelas) la seguiré leyendo.
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book, I think it was Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon but one of lived in a depressing and sad life. He lived a depressing life because he found out that his disciple Xanatos was a traitor. What I don't like about this book is that is that I get confused with their name. What I like about this book is that it's star wars and I used to watch it when I was younger.
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
the history of obi wan continues...
Nolany Jones
Une suite tout aussi bien que le premier tome, on en apprend davantage sur Obi-Wan et sur Qui-Gon et c'est vraiment plaisant à lire.
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Just like the first one I'd have given it 2.5 stars if the Goodreads app let me. But 2 seems chintzy, so 3.
Travis Nacke
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It was enjoyable. A fast read to get into the mood of Star Wars again.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-2-star-books
Xanatos! nunca escuche de él, hasta hora...
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans only
Shelves: kindle, star-wars
Obi Wan and Qui-Gon travel to a mining planet on separate missions. Obi Wan as a Farmer, Qui-Gon as a Jedi peace keeper. Qui-Gon did not want Obi Wan as an apprentice as he has such bad memories of his last apprentice who fell to the dark side. And guess who they run into on this back water planet...

A good read, but not as good as #1. It is noticeable there was a change of author in the series.
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the series continues, the excitement and intensity increases.
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • Lightsabers (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #4)
  • Kenobi's Blade (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #6)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Hunted (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #4)
  • Lyric's World (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #2)

Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)
  • The Mark of the Crown (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #4)
  • The Defenders of the Dead (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #5)
  • The Uncertain Path (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #6)
  • The Captive Temple (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #7)
  • The Day of Reckoning (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #8)
  • The Fight for Truth (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #9)
  • The Shattered Peace (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #10)
  • The Deadly Hunter (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Salt Roads
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00