Start by marking “Mama Graciela's Secret” as Want to Read:
Mama Graciela's Secret

Mama Graciela's Secret

MamA GracIela's TENDER, CRUNCHY, SPICY bacalaItos fritos are the best in town...

Local customers (including stray cats!) come from all over the island to enjoy her secret recipe. But when the Inspector discovers that MamA secretly caters to so many cats and he threatens to close her tiny restaurant, MamA must come up with a plan to save it--and all of the animals she loves.
Published October 10th 2017 by MacLaren-Cochrane Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mama Graciela's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Graciela's Secret

Devika Ramadoss
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mama Graciela makes the best bacalaitos fritos on her beachside restaurant. No One knows the mama’s secret of her recipe.There lives the stray cats with her in the restaurant. She feeds the cats with care.And as days move on, the customers to her restaurant grows and so the number of cats. The fate knocks the restaurant door in the name of health inspector. Mama comes up with soulful plan to save the animals and her recipe.

This is a story to tell the true act of love towards the animals. Beautif
books are love
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This was fun and adorable.

Mama has a big heart and it gets her in trouble with the inspector. She has a restaurant that is highly popular but not just with customers who come for her bacalaitos fritos but with cats as well. And Mama cannot turn away the cats. So to keep from losing all she loves she finds a way to get her bacalaitos fritos to her customers and save the animals.

The illustrations are adorable and tell the story in whimsical fashion. The sto
Sheila
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s nice to read a children’s book with letters accented so neatly, giving depth to the narrator’s voice. Mamá Graciela has a restaurant called La Bahía, and already I need to learn how to pronounce the words. Meanwhile I learn of delicious bacalaítos fritos and I want to taste them!

Sheila Fein’s illustrations in this book and bright and warm, perfectly complementing the Mayra Calvani’s warm, inviting story. And it’s not just a story about food. There are cats “like my children, the ones I neve
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, books-to-review
What a sweet story about a woman that loved animals so much she was willing to give up her restaurant to keep the cats around.

Now you do have to set aside reality and common sense as an adult, but children will love this book especially if they are animal lovers. The story tells of how one woman put the needs of the cats she adored ahead of her restaurant when push came to shove. I think it also might teach them some character skills.

The graphics depict the story well, are very colorful and wil
Ally
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I do not remember the last time I read a picture book, but it was so nice to read one again. Mama Graciela's Secret is a really sweet book about a sweet abuelita that does what she loves and protects what she loves.

Even though the story is less than 25 pages long I actually gasped when the someone threatened to take Mama Graciela's cats! Even though it is a children's book with very little prose Calvani was able to get me invested in Mama Graciela's story. At the end I felt proud of her decision
Bob Platypire
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I was given a copy of this book to be honestly reviewed*

The pictures in this book were really bright and colorful, keeping my two-year old's attention nicely. She LOVED the cats! The story was sweet and made me a bit hungry haha. Some of the words were a little advanced, and I'm not sure young children are going to understand about the health inspector, but those could all be opportunities to learn and discuss things! Older children will probably have no trouble with it at all.

Cute story!

Bob an
Lynda Dickson
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 3+
Shelves: children
Mamá Graciela’s codfish fritters are the talk of the town. They attract crowds of people, but also cats. Soon Mamá Graciela has too many cats and the health inspector threatens to shut down her restaurant. What will Mamá Graciela do?

Mamá Graciela is a wonderful character, as is her husband. Her compassion and dignity make her a role model for all readers, children and adult alike. The illustrations by Sheila Fein are rich and full of detail. Your kids will have fun looking at all the cats, who e
Danielle Urban
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mama Graciela's Secret by Maya Calvani is a beautiful engaging story. The pages are wonderfully illustrated to match every scene. This is definitely a story for children and adults alike. Animal lovers will love Mama Graciela and her effort to save the cats that come to her restaurant. I found entertaining, sweet, and educational.

I received this copy from the publisher. This, is my voluntary review.
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
This is a perfect short read for bedtime. A fun story about Mama Graciela, her bacalaitos fritos (codfish fritters which everyone should eat as we here at home love to make them) and her many cats. The story is enthusiastic and I loved the illustrations. -YA/NA Book Divas

{I requested a copy for reviewing purposes and made no guarantee of a favorable review. The opinions expressed here are unbiased and my own.}
Cassandra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book that children will love! Mama Graciela's Secret is a great book for parents who enjoy reading to their child. It will be an instant classic to any child who reads it.
Rajalakshmi Prithviraj
This is a story for kids and adults alike. It is a short picture story that can be finished in one reading.

The story revolves around a lady, her secret recipe for making fritos and her love for cats. What happens in the story is something you need the book to find out.

The writing is simple with a rustic flavour. The narrative is continuous and has no breaks. Mayra's writing helps trigger imageries and wherever it is difficult to comprehend a colloquial word the illustrations help understanding.
Kritika Narula
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always maintained that I look for two elements in a children's book. One, how well the book endears itself to the little readers, and two, the message that it puts across.
It is indeed interesting when the two blend together nearer to the climax of the book. And admittedly, children's books have the most heart-warming of them. This book faired well on both the aspects. It follows the story of a restaurant owner who has to choose between her livelihood and her love for pets. The great part
Chandrima Samanta
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mamá Graciela’s Secret by Mayra Calvani is a fun read and I felt like a kid again. Thank you for sending me the review copies.
The book is of 36 pages, illustrated by Sheila Fein and published by MacLaren-Cochrane. It mainly focuses on kids of age-group 3-7 years old but I felt like people of all age can read it.
The story is about Mamá Graciela’s famous bacalaítos fritos, which local customers enjoy from all over the island. She also has a thing for cats and it's quite adorable how she pets them
Gmr
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
It begins as a tale of a one woman's quest to feed those hungry souls that crossed her path; be they man or beast, she saw no difference as a need was a need. I applaud her open heart and the way in which she embraced ALL those in need. Thing is...it got a little out of hand. I mean, I love our four-legged friends as much as the next person, but when you're talking about dozens, hundreds, and perhaps thousands of feline friends...it's more a community than a few frequent travelers now isn't it? ...more
Priti
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mamá Graciela’s Secret is a beautiful story about Mamá Graciela’s love for animals. She has to make a decision and choose between her cats and her restaurant when the health inspector says that they’re going to have to shut down her restaurant because of so many cats. Mamá can’t get rid of her cats and she needs her restaurant also as that is the only source of income she has.

I like it how she comes up with a solution that works for everyone and how her husband always supports her.

The illustrati
Mahathi Ramya
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story is about Mama Graciela and her cats. Mama can make the best bacalaitos fritos which are the best in the town. She has the heart of gold and she is kind to stray cats and dogs. When thousands of cats gather at her shop to enjoy fritos daily, the health officer tries to close her shop for the same reason. But, Mama Graciela has to take a difficult decision to save her shop without shoeing away their cats.

The story is unique and unpredictable. It has good morals for the children. The narr
Cheryl Malandrinos
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story will tug at your heartstrings. It is a sweet tale of this woman’s creativity and genius in the face of tough odds. Award-winning author Mayra Calvani consistently develops wonderful stories for children and adults that you want to read over and over again. Young readers will connect well with Mamá Graciela’s love for family and cats. They will be inspired by her determination to protect her restaurant and all the cats she helps.

Illustrator Sheila Fein provided the artwork for Mamá Gra
Penelope Cole
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I enjoyed Mayra Calvani’s latest picture book, “Mama Graciela’s Secret,” illustrated colorfully by Sheila Fein It’s a pleasing book on many levels. At first I thought the secret in the book was Mama Graciela’s special recipe for bacalaitos fritos. But soon realized the book was about another passion of Mama’s; her love for the many cats attracted to her restaurant for her famous bacalaitos fritos. Then the book became more important and personal to me. As a cat and dog lover, I was quite concern ...more
Sherry Lynn
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A charming little children's book. I received a pdf copy so I can't comment on the print copy.
The illustrations were delightful. I loved all the different cats. All the different cats have different and cute personalities.

Even the dogs that come around in the end are charming.

The pages are colorful.

The story is charming. When Mrs. G. realizes that she can't keep all the cats and her restaurant she has to figure out what to do.
The story has kind of a surprise ending.
I enjoyed this children
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
*I received a copy through Enchanted Book Promotions for review. This does not affect my review.*

I loved reading about Mama Graciela's bacalaítos fritos, but more than that, I wanted to see how Mama handled the Food Inspector. I love how this story is told, and the illustrations are beautiful. A great children's book, and one that parents can enjoy too.

Stuart West
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Calvani's Mama Graciela's Secret is a warm, humane tale of a woman's selfless desire and sacrifice to care for cats. Calvani's story is ably supported by nice, flowing art from Sheila Fein, including many lovely double-page spreads. A message well suited for children of all ages.
Jessica Robbins
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Donna McDine
Often times one discovers the most delicious food in the simplest setting. Once found it tends to be the place the locals and tourists go. Mamá Graciela’s run down shack, La Bahía, is just that place. With her loving touch of her secret recipe for scrumptious bacalaitos fritoas people gather from near and far.

Mamá Graciela’s cooking is not only a favorite of people but of cats as well. What is Mamá Graciela to do with her passion for La Bahía as well as her love for her new found large family o
J.D.R. Hawkins
Branden
Todd Rumsey
Cathy
Dec 11, 2017

Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults and has authored over a dozen books, some of which have won awards. Her stories, reviews, interviews and articles have appeared on numerous publications such as The Writer, Writer’s Journal, Multicultural Review, and Bloomsbury Review, among many others. When she’s not writing, reading, editing or reviewing, she enjoys walking he