Start by marking “Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)

Blood of Assassins

(The Wounded Kingdom #2)

The epic sequel to RJ Barker's fantasy debut Age of Assassins, set in a world ravaged by magic, featuring a cast of assassins, knights, and ambitious noblemen.

In a desperate bid to escape the bounty on his head, assassin Girton Club-Foot has returned to Maniyadoc, but the kingdom he knew no longer exists.

Three kings battle for supremacy in a land ravaged by war-and
Published February 13th 2018 by Orbit

Start your review of Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)
Petrik
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

Blood of Assassins magnificently transitioned The Wounded Kingdom into a much darker series in an awesome way.

Girton and his master have been living as a mercenary for five years since the end of the event in Age of Assassins. The past five years experience has changed or repressed Girton's personality to something worse. This sequel was a much darker book than its predecessor; at times I feel like it totally belongs in the grimdark genre due to how grey the moral code of Girton was.
James Tivendale
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received an advanced review copy of Blood of Assassins in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank RJ Barker and Orbit Books. *May include minor spoilers*

The second novel in The Wounded Kingdom trilogy picks up the action 5-years after the climactic events of Age of Assassins. The assassin Girton Club-Foot and his master have been operating as mercenaries since they left Maniyadoc. They've travelled throughout the majority of the Tired Lands following violence and battles, putting
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Fantastic sequel! I love Girton Club-Foot! I recommend to all fantasy lovers!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
TS Chan
I received an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars.

An impressive sequel to an excellent debut, Blood of Assassins draws upon the compelling character development of Girton Club-Foot to underscore a storyline which is at once engaging and unpredictable.

RJ Barker's debut, Age of Assassins, is a coming-of-age story which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. There were varied and mixed reactions, however, due to expectation. Most readers who were disappointed expected a book a
Gavin
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I felt like Blood of Assassins was a decent enough read but not nearly as much fun as Age of Assassins. I'm not sure if it was a proximity thing or not as I read a bunch of duds in the build up to reading the first book while this sequel caught me coming out of a run of 5 star reads. The end result was I ended up thinking this was a decent enough story but not a particularly memorable or special one.

Girton and Merela Karn have spend 5 years travelling and plying their trade in foreign lands but
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“We are cursed to be the sum of our deeds, black as they may be. They are like an arrow: once the shot is made, there is no escaping the consequences.”

Blood of Assassin’s is what I wanted Age of Assassin’s to be. While I thought the first book to be okay but entertaining, this entry takes the series to a higher level. The story follows a time jump a few years after the first book and I believe that gave time to the characters to grow into be
Deborah Obida
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Blood of assassins is the second book in The Wounded Kingdom. The events in this book happened five years after the first book with Girton and Merela his master in a far off country, they have been here after the events that happened in Maniyodioc. They had to return to their country which has an ongoing war due to the fact that Tomas,Rufra and Aydor all have claims to the throne, the three of them have armies supporting them. A kingdom riddled with war can never progress, especially a kingdom t ...more
Faith
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy combines fantasy with mystery and political intrigue. Girton Club-foot is apprenticed to Merela Karn, an expert assassin. He is also secretly a sorcerer who has never explored his powers and suppresses them with the help of Merela, because in this world sorcery is considered a dangerous curse. At the very beginning of the book Merela is poisoned and Girton has to find a cure for her. He also must solve a murder, identify a traitor and help his old friend King Rufra who is engaged in ...more
Esme
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book picks up 5 years or so after the events of the first book. It’s going to be difficult to talk much about the plot without spoiling things, so I suggest you not read this unless you’ve read the first book. I audiobooked this one as well and I apologize for any spelling gaffs.

Following the death of the Queen, the land has been split into three factions – those following Rufra, those following Thomas, and those following Ador. A complex situation arises where Girton is forced to accept a
J.P. Ashman
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous sequel to a fabulous debut, both of which are right up my cobbled street.

I really enjoyed R.J's first book. The War of the Roses feel, coupled with definite magical (albeit subtle) fantasy elements was a win for me from the off. The castles. The people. The mounts and the exciting combat. The court life and the intrigue and mystery worked so very well together....

The second book continues this, but on a grander, wider scale.

It's some years later and our favorite apprentice assassin has
Kitty G Books
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I was sent this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Another super solid book in this series and I am really happy that the series has continued strong. I love the character of Girton Club-foot, he makes mistakes, but he does them because of passion and emotion, and I really like that in him. Girton is our main character from the first book, and it's been a few years since the end of book one when we pick the storyline back up. He's been travelling with his master,
Eva
Jul 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, this had an ending just like the famous Sanderlanche you usually only get with Brandon Sanderson - really masterfully done. This epic finale full of several plot twists and revelations was amazing. Blood of Assassins also has very deep characterization that touched my heart, lyrical, dynamic prose, and a multi-layered mystery plot. It made me think and feel deeply, which is why it's landing on my shelf of all-time favorites - just like the first book.

Minor quibble: the dynamic, lyrical lit
Kristen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review is here, on my blog!

This volume takes place five years after the end of Age of Assassins. Girton Club-Foot and his master Marela Karn are returning to Maniyadoc after several years of absence, and on the way, they get into a scrap with some bounty hunters out for the price on their heads and Girton’s master gets poisoned. Badly. Luckily, they’re close enough to Maniyadoc that one of the three kings who are at constant war in the area picks him up and offers him help. Weirdly, it’s th
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘The cold night air is golden. Dying men bleed life into the land. They make a well that is sweeter and deeper than my needs require. I see every danger. I count the glittering spear point. I count the shining sword blades. I count the rusty axeheads. I see the faces twisted in hate, blackened teeth, roaring mouths.’
~
It seems that 2019 is my year for awesome fantasy books, because I have read so many great ones. Blood of Assassins by RJ Barker, is no exception because this one was right up my st
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/03/13/...

In general, I find that most second books of a trilogy rarely live up to the first one, and so I foolishly thought this would be the case here as well. Well, I’ve never been happier that I was wrong. R.J. Barker has topped his first book with a spectacular sequel containing even more intrigue, more action, and more heart.

Several years have passed since the end of Age of Assassins, and in that time, many changes have come t
John McDermott
A brilliant sequel to a brilliant first book. A mystery novel inside a grimdark epic ! Just wonderful. Stunning world building,first rate characterizations ,all delivered by writing of the highest quality. Girton Club-Foot will in turn in madden and infuriate you and then break your heart ; a wonderful lead character. I can't praise this trilogies highly enough. An absolute must read ! ...more
Sabrina
Dec 15, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I’m read for this book since the moment I finished the first one.
✨ Is closer by the minute!!! Just a couple more days and finally I’ll have this book🙌.
Virginja ↢ 99% imp
4.25 🌟

This second book was a great step forward! It was less naive and put the readers in front of a masterfully crafted mystery. All those “mistakes” that made the first volume less enjoyable were not present in here, however I felt that in this installment the plot struggled to go in the direction it should. The level of introspection we got in Blood of Assassins was unparalleled, but many of the informations and details necessary to solve the mystery were overshadowed by the amounts of the b
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Blood of Assassins is the sequel to Age of Assassins. Age of Assassins was on my Top Ten Books of 2017 list, it is that good and was one of the fantasy debuts of last year (which let’s face it, 2017 was filled with some amazing debut books from fantasy authors).

If you are yet to read Age of Assassins then you need to rectify that, trust me, you won’t be disappointed! Firstly, becaus
FanFiAddict
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I want to thank Orbit for the ARC and Hachette Audio for the ALC in exchange for an honest review, as both provided equal parts enjoyment. I also want to thank the author, RJ Barker, for giving us yet another refreshing and engaging novel in The Wounded Kingdom series.

Be forewarned: This Book is Full of Antlers (sorry David Wong) and will have some spoilers for those who have not read Age of Assassins (and if you are in that group, shame on you).

Some of you may know (if you follow my blog thin
Patricia Crowther
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.25* - intrigued to see where King of Assassins will go!
David S Meanderings)
This is the story of a war. Of a man haunted and ashamed by the things he’s done. A story of a king desperately trying to survive and claim his throne. A story of love, of loyalty to family and friends. And, as always in this series, a story of mystery and assassins.

At this point I have read the entire Wounded Kingdom Trilogy and I can say that this book was my favorite. It had a perfect blend of great pacing, character development, intrigue, world building, and amazing action sequences.

We start
Mili
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
Great sequel! Follows up on the plot nicely and kinda with the same recipe, looking for a traitor. So a lot of mystery and lack of trust of your fellow people and surroundings. The heaviness of this combined with Girton his struggles make it a gloomy/dark atmosphere. Girton is after all just a person and he gets confronted with hard choices, and his strong emotional feelings towards people make him struggle to make the right ones. This gets him into some difficult situations with big consequence ...more
Olivia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Girton is such a perfect character. Honestly, if you like flawed yet likeable and just a bit lost and torn but also strong and determined, Girton is your man.

It’s five years later and things have changed. Girton lost a lot of his youthful naïveté and gained a lot of anger and fear.

Loyalty is a prominent theme in this book, and I’m a big fan of RJ Barker’s writing.

I recommend this series to all fantasy fans who don’t mind a coming of age story in the first book. I know that’s not everyone’s cup
Paul
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation to the series. Girton is a great main character, a walking ball of contradictions and internal struggles that makes him both interesting and likeable.
Overall I think I enjoyed the first book marginally more but there is little in it, with no mid series slump.
The story is great with good plot twists and great action with a three way struggle between kings to win out , and really good character development from book 1.
Now I want to create a decent map of the world. to try to se
 Charlie
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book, I loved the second book. It was very different, a bit darker and bit more grown up, but it still had everything I loved from Age though and added a great deal to the world and the lives of all the characters.
Mike Everest Evans
The Good: A return to one of the most relatable POVs in fantasy, development that breathes life into characters-plot-and-world alike, more twists and turns than a maze of mirrors, with a heart at its centre that beats with the life of a full fleshed-out fantasy favourite for years to come.

The Bad: Struggling to put my finger on a ‘bad’ with this one, and the only thing I can come up with is that a few of the ‘reveals’ were ones I expected, however they also served as a double bluff of sorts in s
~Dani~
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised!

4.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. A big thank you to them and to RJ Barker who was kind enough to come on our podcast for an interview!

This review contains minor spoilers for Age of Assassins.

Blood of Assassins picks up five years after the events in Age of Assassins. Girton and his master, Merela, have been travelling as mercenaries for those five years while Maniyadoc has been at
kartik narayanan
Blood of Assassins is a great book but I consider it to be a step-down from Age of Assassins. While it has the same elements that made me give Age of Assassins 5 stars, like the great dialogues and excellent pacing, it is let down by a unnecessarily whiny and angst ridden protagonist. For this reason alone, I am removing a star. If Age of Assassins was The Name of the Rose, Blood of Assassins is The Farseer Trilogy with its self-flagellating main character.

But that's just my disappointment at wh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Priest of Gallows (War for the Rose Throne, #3)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)
  • The Pariah (Covenant of Steel, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • The Righteous (Articles of Faith, #2)
  • The Justice of Kings (Empire of the Wolf, #1)
  • The Blacktongue Thief (Blacktongue, #1)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • A Practical Guide to Conquering the World (The Siege #3)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Of Blood and Fire (The Bound and the Broken, #1)
  • The Poison Song  (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #3)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Girl and the Moon (Book of the Ice, #3)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
See top shelves…

The Wounded Kingdom (3 books)
  • Age of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #1)
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)