Start by marking “Rock What Ya Got” as Want to Read:
Rock What Ya Got

Rock What Ya Got

A child reminds everyone to embrace their own special something in this joyful expression of self-love.

When a drawing of a little girl comes to life, she boldly declares that she doesn't want to be erased, or put into a picture that doesn't feel like her true self. Instead, she decides to speak up in a powerful way. And she has some words of advice: embrace what you have,
Published September 25th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rock What Ya Got, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock What Ya Got

Abigail
When an artist creates the figure of a young girl on the page, naming her 'Viva,' she decides something isn't quite right, and that she should try again. Coming to life before her, Viva declares that she's just fine the way she is, asking to be allowed to "rock what she's got." Despite her creation's pleas, the artist continues to try to change things, always discovering in the end that Viva is still Viva. Eventually, recalling that in her own girlhood she felt as Viva did, she decides that Viva ...more
Michele Knott
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jill
Loved this fun story and the illustrations. "Rock what ya got" will be my new mantra, for sure!
Dreaday
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really hate when adults write picture books for other adults and then say they’re meant for kids. This is meant for adults as some sort of stupid “inspirational” and “youthful” perspective, but it’s too old for kids and not enough adults will care because there are approx. 1,000,000 more books out there with the same theme.
Liz
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An artist is drawing a girl. Before the artist can make any changes, the girl comes to life and explains that you have got to "rock what ya got." Cute story with rhyme about being uniquely you and that it is perfect!
Jillian Heise
I kinda adore this book. I want to give Viva a hug & share her with all the little (& not so little anymore) girls I know. That dedication says it all. And the illustrations! 😍 #rockwhatyagot #loveyourself #youdoyou
Lynn
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adults:
Read this book when you are having a bad day.
Read this book when you're feeling down on yourself.
Read this book when you feel like you're not good enough.
Read. This. Book.
Miss Sarah
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An author draws a young girl but then doesn't think the young girl is right and keep stweaking it but was she right from the beginning? A great sense and evolution to be who you are theme. Elementary and up
Natasha
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Theme: Loving yourself.

I love the rhythm of this book! I could hear myself singing it in my head!
Julie
Jan 27, 2019 added it
Shelves: feels, k-3, meta, issues
A cute meta-fictional story about an artist's creation wanting to be accepted for who she is.
Diane
“Once upon a blank piece of paper, where anything could happen ...”

The artist creates Viva, but feels something isn’t right. But when the artist tries to erase the drawing, Viva grabs the pencil to stop her. “Excuse me, lady, artist, ma’am, but I like me the way I am. Before you change one line or dot, can I try ... to rock what I got?

The artist decides to make changes anyway. Again and again she tries to change things, but it still Viva on the page, arguing her cause: “Rock what ya got and rock
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books-2
An excellent premise, but the flow seemed a bit choppy for me.
Jeimy
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book about loving yourself.
Margaret Boling
1/12/2019 ~ A brilliant addition to the "celebrate yourself" books we've been seeing for girls in recent years. This book will give us a new anthem:
Rock what ya got and rock it a lot.
Don't let anyone say what you're NOT.
Find what is yours and carve out your spot...
take it and love it and rock it a lot!

I hope Berger, Kerascoet, and Little Brown make posters of the spread with these lines!
Linda Gibbons
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations in this fun book but, more than that I love the message to "Rock What Ya Got"!
A good story to share with young readers that encourages self acceptance.
Laura G
A(nother) book about loving and accepting yourself as you are. I like the rhyming, rhythmic text that begs to be chanted; I could almost get it to work. I that that the character being illustrated turns out to be the artist herself, delivering a message that she had forgotten. It was a good idea; and the flow almost worked.
Rebecca Caufman
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
An drawing interacts with her artist to let her know she is great just the way she is!
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute and affirming book about loving who you are and rocking what ya got! A great message, super cute illustrations, and a story that needs to be shared wide and far.
Holly Mueller
Spirited reminder to accept yourself and be proud of who you are.
Nicki
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Be proud of who you are!
Robin
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended for ages 4-6.
Destinee Sutton
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Those of us who review children's books and serve on book award committees are encouraged to focus on what the book is -- not what it's not. So I appreciated this book about rockin' what ya got. (Tangent: It makes me think of Todd Parr, a children's book author who is arguably not the most sophisticated artist or writer, but I really love his books because he rocks what he's got -- positivity, acceptance, and a lot of bold wacky colors.)

It certainly feels like the picture book market is saturat
Margie
Dec 21, 2018 added it
As we go through life, we are from time to time our worst critics. We forget that goals are guides and not expectations etched in the stone of perfection. Our possibilities are limited with a negative outlook.

If we embrace everything we do, even if it's not what is planned, there is always a sliver of the desired silver lining. Rock What Ya Got (Little, Brown and Company, September 25, 2018) written by Samantha Berger (What If . . .) with illustrations by Kerascoe (Malala's Magic Pencil) is a l
Pam
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An artist is not happy with the young girl she drew so starts to erase her. The drawing grabs the eraser and reminds the artist to "rock what ya got." The artist thinks about what she wants to change and experiments with different hair style, body shapes, scenery, etc. The whole time her character reminds her to "rock what ya got."
Use to talk about kids being okay with who they are.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
This is a mixed bag.

I really love the meta illustrations and the story constructions and narrative.

I don't think the text structure is smooth enough to make this story truly excellent. The artist a-ha and subsequent dislike just doesn't flow well.

Still, though, a good read.
Krysta
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the pictures and, of course, the message is very positive (an on trend for picture books right now). However, it is difficult to read the book since the lines rhyme, but don't have matching meters.
Laurel Roeder
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly written for both children and adults! Too often we spend time thinking, "If I only..." that we don't appreciate all the awesomeness that's there. I need a little Viva following me around whispering in my ear, "Rock what ya got!" :)
Lindsay Ross
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rock what ya got and rock it a lot.
Look at what IS, not what is NOT!
Find what is yours, and carve out your spot.
Take it and own it and rock it A LOT!
Tracy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, kiddo
Ok this is delightful but would be more for me than for kiddo, so I didn't get it.
Brindi Michele