Start by marking “The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony” as Want to Read:
The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony

Read eBook

The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony

Food is our most intimate and telling connection both with the living natural order and with our living cultural heritage. By eating the plants and animals of our earth, we literally incorporate them. It is also through this act of eating that we partake of our culture's values and paradigms at the most primal levels. It is becoming increasingly obvious, however, that the ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Lantern Books

To ask other readers questions about The World Peace Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Peace Diet

Start your review of The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
Jilly
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a life-changer. About 12 years ago I read a book that changed my life called "Diet for A New America" by John Robbins. It started me on a path that I continue on today, and that has changed and shaped who I am in countless positive ways.

For me, being a vegan was not only an animal rights issue, or a health issue, or an environmental issue; it was always a spiritual issue. I love to read books covering various aspects of veganism, but I don't often encounter the spiritual side of veg
Katie
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is hands-down one of the most interesting, progressive books I've ever read. Will Tuttle is courageous and thorough in his research and very clear in his expression. Everyone can benefit from this book, because at it's core, it's all about love and its unveiling.
Mleigh
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
"As we sow, so shall we reap."

An excerpt from Will Tuttle's book:
"Simply stated, we can never expect to be happy if we cause suffering to others, to be free if we confine others, to be healthy if we cause sickness in others, to be prosperous if we steal from others, or to have peace if we are violent to others and cause them to be afraid. As the Buddhists say, whatever seeds we plant and nurture through the actions of our body, speech, and mind will grow, and we will experience their fruits in o
Suzanne
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I highly recommend this book. It is one of the most thought-provoking, profound pieces of literature I have read in a long time. If you care about living a kind, compassionate life, your health, and stopping the further destruction of the planet we all live on, you owe it to yourself to read this book. I challenge anyone to read this book and be unchanged. I feel like I have taken a spiritual journey that has left me with a renewed sense of purpose.
Lindsey
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 1
This has to be one of the best and most comprehensive books on why evolving to a vegan society can improve our world.
The entire book is so eloquently, patiently, and lovingly written.
Amanda
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I learned a lot reading this book. I started reading as a vegetarian (still eating eggs and dairy) and ended with making a conscious decision to be vegan. I'm still learning, but I am already very glad I've made this decision.

Tuttle repeats himself... a lot. He also has a writing style that I'm not used to and loses my attention. There were sections that were VERY hard to get through.

I would recommend this book to people who are Veg-curious, but not the general public or people who are long-ti
Lynn
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. To tell you anything about it would not do it justice. Please read this book for your own health, and for the health of humans, animals, and the planet.
Ivelina
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and powerful truths said in the most loving way.While reading some parts I cringed. The truth hurts, but it will set you free.This book is sealing the deal of being a vegan.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sociology
While I do think it's important for people to become more conscious of the impact of their food/fashion/product choices (on their physical and emotional well-being, other beings, society and the environment), I don't think the way to do it is by reading this book. My five reasons for this are:

1. Black and white picture of the world:

The author presents an incredibly simplistic view of the world, all its problems and humanity (who are clearly defined in terms of either vegan or non-vegan).

“Our cul
Lisa
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"It becomes immediately obvious, though, that our collective sense of guilt about our mistreatment of animals for food makes recognizing this basic connection enormously difficult. Eating animal foods is a fundamental cause of our dilemmas, but we will squirm every which way to avoid confronting this. It is our defining blind spot and is the essential missing piece to the puzzle of human peace and freedom. Because of our culturally inherited behavior of abusing the animals we use for food and ig ...more
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
The author has a lot of good information and arguments against the current state of factory farming, but overall I found many of his arguments lacking. His whole thesis is that if we all remove animal products of any kind from our diet and fully embrace a vegan life that we will rid the world of all our problems. I found many ideas good, but the overall book felt lacking and irritatingly evangelical.
Doorae Shin
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read. Every aspect on the reasons for having a compassionate diet is explored. From the environmental, moral, and philosophical, this book will wake you up from clouded perspectives about consuming meat and dairy. I started this book as a vegetarian, and decided to go vegan about 1/3 of the way through. I feel healthier and happier than ever before, and this book allowed me to make that positive, simple change.
Diana
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: environmentalists, animal lovers
This is a life-changing book. The author makes the connections our society has been unwilling or unable to make between our treatment of animals and the ills of modern society. He demonstrates that veganism is not only essential for compassionate and environmental reasons, but that it is the physically and psychologically natural way of being for our species and our only hope for peace.
Sonya Soz
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing & convincing to anyone that reads with an open heart. Considered taking one star off because the wording gets a little flowery / repetitive sometimes which may turn away some less open-minded readers, but decided not to because the content is well laid-out and thorough. There is really no logical reason to continue to consume animal products. ...more
John
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
So I'm three months into not eating meat, fish or eggs. This book was recommended the day I stopped, and I'm glad I read it. It makes me feel better for my choices. It has some good information and a new look from some of the gross-you-out so you won't eat meat books.
Ayla
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I wish everyone would read. A good friend of mine recommended this book, and when I first heard its title, I thought, "Hmm, that sounds a little too woowoo hippie-dippie spirtualish for my taste." And maybe some parts of the book were like that. But most of it consisted of well-presented facts and strong arguments against the consumption of animal products.

He explains a lot of the history of our use of animals, how that use is deeply woven into our culture and our
Wendy Grove
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The most intelligent life changing book I have read to date!
Kate Lawrence
Will Tuttle proposes that all the violence, exploitation, and dysfunction we experience in our society has its origin in what he calls the "herding culture", our millennia-long practice of using animals for food. It's a compelling idea, and I read the entire book to see where he was going with this. As a long-time vegan, I'm well aware of the horrendous cruelty we inflict in raising, confining, and torturing animals in factory farms; Tuttle's chapters describing this are vivid and convincing. Th ...more
Maggie
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
whereas i'm already in agreement with mr. tuttle, i still found his book too extreme and possibly even hurting the cause of right thinking about our agri-business. getting the right food to us under the right condition (food safety) with respect for the animals we are tending for our own consumption/ends is a worthwhile endeavor. perhaps the highest endeavor that we can all agree on in this modern, globalized age. yet to insist that the last 10,000 years of human eating has been all wrong from t ...more
Jennie Richards
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An extremely powerful, illuminating, provocative and heart-touching book. For people who eat meat and animals, this book should be a must-read for you; for people who do not eat any animal products, and chose to be an ethical vegan, reading this book will reinforce why you became an ethical vegan--a thousand fold.

Dr. Tuttle addresses the complacency and deep lack of consciousness and denial that happens when eating animals, and how we have been conditioned and indoctrinated individually and col
Argawal
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, vegan
this book has to be one of the most complete and thorough works of veganism that I've come across. it covers all areas including the common practices of the meat and dairy industry, the ethics of eating animals, the effects to our health, the environmental damage, the political aspect regarding government intrusion/manipulation in the industry and my very favorite- the spiritual/mystical aspects of abstaining from animal consumption and how that can lead us to world peace.

truly enlightening. au
Susan
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Will Tuttle articulates with clear and often graphic language how the eating of meat and the objectifying of animals is intrinsically linked to the violence and domination systems present in our society.

Tuttle argues that humans are herbivores by design but, as climate began to change, meat eating became necessary for survival. Today the climate is changing again, and so has the nature of meat and its "harvesting" for that matter, so that those with the means to do so are urged to adopt and wor
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book challeges core beliefs of our culture and truly could lead the way to world peace. The author links our herding culture and meat obsessive diet to almost all the ills confronting our world. Much of this was not new to me since I read often on the topics of nutrition and vegetarianism, but it did cause me to make some new connections. I do wish all our corporate and political leaders would read this and put some thought into changing our food system. For now, I will do my part by eating ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Maeve
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
There is definitely a relationship between our spirituality and how we eat, but whether we become more spiritual by eating more mindfully or we eat more mindfully as we become more spiritual is quite the question. Perhaps being and doing coincide, and either method properly pursued will lead to growth in the other area. I had high hopes for this book from the title and so it took me a little bit to get into it, I think because I had unrealistic expectations, but by the end really enjoyed it's co ...more
Marina Drake
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One more reason to become vegetarian/vegan: world peace. After 18 or so years, I hadn't thought I needed any more reason than the animals, health and the environment, but this book convinced me. I'll try to write more about this book later.
Charlotte
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
“We therefore avoid looking deeply at our food if it is of animal origin, and this practice of avoidance and denial, applied to eating, our most basic activity and vital ritual, carries over automatically into our entire public and private life. We know, deep down, that we cannot look deeply anywhere, for if we do, we will have to look deeply into the enormous suffering our food choices directly cause. So we learn to stay shallow and to be willingly blind to the connections we could see. Otherwi ...more
Scott
Apr 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Will Tuttle makes many important arguments about a plant-based life-style, though sadly he presents them through an absolutist, pseudoscientific/pseudospiritual, new-age manner. The slaughter of animals is horrific but it is not the cause or source of all that is wrong with our world.
Tuttle appeals to real science, like Dr. Michael Greger, but he also links meat eating, developmental psychology appealing to vibrations or frequencies of emotions. Perhaps intended as rhetoric his appeal to all th
Amanda Wareing
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jesus, and others, have taught us you reap what you sow. That in essence is the message of this book, and one I deeply resonate with. Tuttle's perspective is that with every meal we eat, we are mostly unconsciously sowing seeds of violence, disconnection and exploitation. Meat, dairy and eggs are, at the worst, products of extreme violence and suffering, and at best are still only made possible by seeing animals as commodities for human use.

The draw backs of Tuttle's book are that he repeats hi
Judy Dobberpuhl
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible work of compassion, art and love! This book has inspired me so much more in wanting to help all of our sentient beings! Everything is energy and this book is so well written and lays it all out for everyone to comprehend. Thank you Dr. Will Tuttle! Love you! :) Highly recommend this fabulous book and everyone should read it!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What does this Say about us? 2 8 Mar 08, 2015 06:59AM

• Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
  • Animal Liberation
  • Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat
  • The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation: As Taught by S. N. Goenka
  • Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease: The Only System Scientifically Proven to Reverse Heart Disease Without Drugs or Surgery
  • Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It
  • The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • Beyond Beliefs: A Guide to Improving Relationships and Communication for Vegans, Vegetarians, and Meat Eaters
  • The Three Questions
  • The Town That Food Saved: How One Community Found Vitality in Local Food
  • How Not to Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
  • Aphro-ism: Essays on Pop Culture, Feminism, and Black Veganism from Two Sisters
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Self-Discipline for Writers: Writing Is Hard, But You Too Can Write and Publish Books Regularly
  • Comfortably Unaware: Global Depletion and Food Responsibility... What You Choose to Eat Is Killing Our Planet
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • College Algebra
  • Gravitation
Dr. Will Tuttle, author of The World Peace Diet, is a pianist, composer, educator, and recipient of the Courage of Conscience Award. A former Zen monk, his Ph.D. from U.C. Berkeley focused on educating intuition and altruism. He presents ongoing events promoting peace through compassion for all life.

News & Interviews

“There is something about veganism that is not easy, but the difficulty is not inherent in veganism, but in our culture.” 33 likes
“How could it ever be to our purpose to rob another living being of his or her purpose?” 22 likes