Start by marking “Illegal” as Want to Read:
Illegal

Illegal

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  5,128 ratings  ·  1,027 reviews

This is a powerful and timely story about one boy's epic journey across Africa to Europe, a graphic novel for all children with glorious colour artwork throughout. From Eoin Colfer, previously Irish Children's Laureate, and the team behind his bestselling Artemis Fowl graphic novels.

Ebo: alone.

His sister left months ago. Now his brother has disappeared too, and Ebo kn

Published October 5th 2017 by Hodder Children's Books (first published October 4th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Illegal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illegal

·  5,128 ratings  ·  1,027 reviews

Start your review of Illegal
Cristina Monica
I’m a little ashamed right now, because I received an unsolicited advance copy of this one about two months ago I believe, and I had no interest whatsoever in reading it.

Then, out of the blue, I stumbled across this book’s page on Goodreads and upon reading positive review after positing review – all praising this story – I finally decided to give it a try.

So if anyone dares say that Goodreads has no influence whatsoever on readers, well they are dead wrong (or don’t consult the site enough to b
Malia
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short book and though I wished some parts were a bit more fleshed out, it is worth reading! I also think the graphic novel format would make important subject matter more accessible to students, if this were used in school. The story of the refugee is not a new one, but it has been in the news a lot these past few years. This makes it important, I think, to consider the individual stories of these people who are desperate to leave their homeland for whatever reason. I did think the boo ...more
Chad
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss, 2018
Ebo is a young boy in Africa whose parents are dead, his sister has already made it to Europe and his brother has just left this morning. So he sets out on a journey to find his brother and make it to Europe. Along the way, he has to cross the Sahara desert, avoid soldiers, and cross the Mediterranean on a dinghy.

This is a gripping, harrowing tale. I found myself holding tight to the arm of my chair as I rooted Ebo on, not knowing if he was going to live or die. Ebo is a joyful, determined soul
Diane
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those stories that stays with you for days after you've finished reading it.

"Illegal" is the story of a boy in Africa who leaves his home in a desperate attempt to make it to Europe. Our hero is Ebo, who doesn't have any papers and who is always worried about being picked up by the police. Ebo's dangerous journey starts by chasing after his older brother, and both boys hope to eventually find their sister somewhere in Europe. Their journey involves a perilous trip across the Sahar
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This is a powerful graphic novel, told in both the past and present-day and following young Ebo. He lives in Africa and like his siblings, he dreams of a better life in Europe. First, he plans to find his older brother and meet up, before making the dangerous crossing by boat towards Italy. The illustrations were powerful and very poignant. It was harsh but very realistic. For younger readers, this may be better read together with an older reader due to the subject content.
Amina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ebo's sister Sisi made it from Africa to Europe, when he realises his brother Kwame also left, Ebo undertakes a journey to reunite with his siblings. And what a journey...
This story is, unfortunately, an everyday reality for a lot of people who try by any means and at any cost to leave their country to a better place and a better future.
It was a suffocating, heart wrenching, sad story about hope, cruelty, loss and humanity.
Catherine✨
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Every year, many thousands of men, women, and children risk their lives by trying to make the dangerous three-hundred-mile sea crossing between northern Africa and Italy. They pay large sums of money to smugglers who in return provide poorly prepared, unseaworthy boats. The distances involved are formidable and the sea currents are unpredictable. The smuggling networks that run these operations make fortunes with no regard for human life. They send their victims out to see in death traps.”
I do
Skip
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12 year-old Ebo realizes that his older brother, Kwame, has left their village in Ghana to go to Europe where their older sister, Sisi, headed several months ago, and decides to follow. This graphic novel is pretty graphic about the plight of refugees as Ebo has three arduous trips: first to get to the big city by himself to find Kwame, then to cross the arid Sahara desert to get to Tripoli, and finally, to find a seaworthy vessel to cross the dangerous waters of the Mediterranean. Unlike other ...more
Rod Brown
Sick day! Chest cold and laryngitis. Time to rest, read, and review.

The European migrant crisis becomes fodder for a generic dramatized graphic novel by what looks like a bunch of European white guys. Hmm. There was an over-reliance on coincidence and having a split time-line throughout much of the book took away a lot of the dramatic tension of the desert sequences, as we know who makes it to the boat later in the story's chronology.

A happy ending is slapped on, but I feel the protagonist's pr
Beth
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I was very excited to read this book, and when it was chosen as a Powell's Pick, that increased my excitement. I read it as soon as I could get my hands on a copy, and...I have mixed feelings.

I think it's an important story, particularly considering the current atmosphere around the word "illegal" as applied to any group of people. I think that it will be an important piece in having conversations - particularly with young people - around this heated topic. However, I have reservations.

The stor
Vishy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered 'Illegal' when I was browsing in the bookshop a couple of weeks back. A new Eoin Colfer book is always a reason to celebrate and in this case it was a graphic novel too, and so I was doubly overjoyed.

The book starts with this Elie Wiesel quote - "You, who are so-called illegal aliens, must know that no human being is illegal. That is a contradiction in terms. Human beings can be beautiful or more beautiful, they can be fat or skinny, they can be right or wrong. But illegal? How can
Clare Lund
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking and powerful. Would make for an incredible unit if taught in combination with Refugee by Alan Gratz. Ages 10 and up.
Ashley Owens
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars. I received a electronic ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I really loved this graphic novel. It was emotional in a way I wasn’t expecting. This novel tells the story of Ebo, a boy from Africa who has just found out this his brother has left to try to make a life in Italy, and will eventually send him money. Their sister, Sisi, is already there so they are hoping for a reunion.

Because most of this novel takes place either on the sea or outside trekking
Shaye Miller
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking! :( But such a great story jumping back and forth between time periods. Full review to come soon...
Abby Johnson
This graphic novel follows a pair of brothers escaping a dismal life in Niger by attempting to flee to Europe. The journey is long and dangerous. Many don't make it. But they keep on, hopeful to reunite with their sister in Italy and start a new life. The storyline alternates between past, detailing Ebo's journey to find his older brother, and present as the two brothers are together on a raft heading acorss the sea towards Italy.

I think this graphic novel does what it sets out to do - it detai
Lauren Stoolfire
This graphic novel about a boy's experience as an immigrant is an incredibly powerful and timely gem. I just wish we got more, especially about Sisi and her journey.
Malia
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bridget
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a gem of a book! The tone is exactly right, we come to feel the fears, hopes, exhilaration and live through the trauma of Ebo, as he searches for his brother who has headed off to try and get to Europe as a refugee. This is only the beginning though, after rejoicing at finding Kwame, he is then trying to earn enough money to gain passage on a boat for them to go together to Europe, where they hope to find their sister. It is hard to read, and it is quite an emotional experience for the read ...more
Robyn
A gripping and emotional middle grade graphic novel. Pair this with Refugee by Alan Gratz.

First Lines:
Seahawk inflatable rubber dinghy. Maximum safe load 6 people. Currently carrying 14 passengers, p.1.
Floating on the frigid Mediterranean Sea in a small balloon boat designed for six people, Ebo and his brother Kwame along with twelve other individuals are desperate to reach their destination. Twelve year old Ebo left his small village home in Niger in search of his brother Kwame
Prince William Public Library System
Illegal is a graphic novel that chronicles the dangerous journeys of migrants. Ebo's sister left Ghana, and hasn't been heard from since. Likewise, his brother Kwame left and disappeared. Ebo wants to follow them. His journey is arduous, dangerous, and stressful. The story goes between the past and present, giving the reader a full perspective of Ebo's life. The back of the book also provides insight into true stories.

This is a chilling account that kids/teens may need or want an adult to talk w
Rachael
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"You, who are so-called Illegal Aliens, must know that nooo human being is illegal. That is a contradiction in terms. Human beings can be beautiful or more beautiful. They can be fat or skinny. They can be right or wrong. But illegal? How can a human being be illegal?"

"We should never have come."

"I never see him again."

"They must help us. We are human."

"Every person is a human being."

This book is emotional, heartbreaking, informative, shocking and a lot more. You're rooting for the storyteller s
Chelsey
When Ebo wakes up to discover his older brother, Kwame, has left to make his way towards Europe, he chases after him. Both brothers are determined to find their sister, who attempted the journey months before. To reach her, though, they'll need to cross the Sahara and make a treacherous journey across the sea.

A gripping and powerful graphic novel that stresses the value of human life. This would work really well in a classroom. The art gets the job done and helps bring the fear the travelers exp
David
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25

I enjoyed this graphic novel a lot, but it was a little too predictable. Of course it might be predictable because so many people ha e suffered similar fates trying to find a better life. The artwork was absolutely stunning and the colors so vibrant. This is a great graphic novel for students.
Peacegal
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad my library got this graphic novel. It truly is amazing, with stunning artwork and a thought provoking storyline. I think this story of a child refugee's quest for a better life is very much needed in the world today.
Chris Haughton
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book. could not put it down. highly recommended.
Kristina
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, thought provoking and sad! I still cannot believe people have to go through things like that in order to survive and reach a safer place.
Jill Williamson
Stephanie Fleck
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic art, heartbreaking stories, and so much humanizing of a struggle that I didn't fully understand. Illegal is the story of Ebo, who shares a similar story with so many children, families, men, and women, trying to make it out of Northern Africa to be reunited with his family in Europe. It is a long, harrowing journey to get there, and you're hoping against hope (As Ebo is) that he will make it there safely with his older brother Kwame to meet up with their sister who has already made it ...more
A Journey to Books
Holy crap, I almost cried!!!! This was absolutely heart touching to me and the illustrations were beautiful.
Greyson | Use Your Words
I had to keep myself from crying while reading this on the bus 😭
Goodreads Librari...: Missing cover 4 22 Mar 14, 2018 04:45PM

• Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • The Giver: Graphic Novel
  • The Crossover
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A