Start by marking “The Red Sword (The Red Sword Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Red Sword (The Red Sword Trilogy, #1)

The Red Sword

(The Red Sword Trilogy #1)

Markal, an apprentice wizard, is thrust unexpectedly to the head of his order when his master is decapitated by a gray-skinned assassin. The order’s walled gardens have the power to restore their dead master to life, but only if the apprentices can protect his body long enough for their sanctuary to work its magic.

When a barbarian warrior named Bronwyn invades the gardens
Published August 11th 2017 by Balsalom Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Red Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Sword

Start your review of The Red Sword (The Red Sword Trilogy, #1)
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay....I'm going out on a limb here and placing this on my Epic Fantasy shelf even though we only have a single book in what is obviously planed to be a...well and epic fantasy.

I liked this one. I won't reveal a lot about the actual story as the synopsis while being accurate led me to believe that the novel would go in a different direction than it actually did. In this case that wasn't bad it simply led into a different story than I expected.

You'll note (I assume) that I gave this one the enti
Jason Hubbard
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
With a flawed heroine, a magic system with a serious Achilles' Heel, and a unique take on resurrection, this book is plenty original. The personality clashes were on the light side, but I'm sure they'll get heated in the other installments, and each character has a unique voice. I only wish the book had more levity to it. ...more
Belle
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Heather
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-read
Memnet the Great is the leader of the Order of the Crimson Path, a powerful wizard who uses his magic to bring peace to the kingdoms around him. When he's decapitated by a gray faced assassin, his four apprentice wizards must guard his gardens until his body can be regenerated.

Markal is the strongest of the wizard's apprentices, but also the least able to wield his power. When a paladin with a red sword breaks into the gardens to find Memnet, Markal is the only thing standing between her and th
Sadie Forsythe
Honestly not bad and the narrator, Rosemary Benson, did an excellent job, which really enhanced the story for me. There was quite a bit of humor in the way the apprentices interacted. Each had a distinct voice. I really appreciated that there was more than one male/female platonic friendships. And the writing is pretty good, though I would call this YA fiction despite the characters ages.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with the story. I found a few aspects of it unbelievable and I would have l
Brian Turner
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 Stars - this is a decent start to a trilogy.
This book is mostly setting the scene and world building, introducing the main characters.
There was quite a lot going on, mainly focussing on the four main wizards apprentice characters and their strengths and weaknesses.

Don't let "wizards apprentice" put you off - this isn't some YA teen wizarding adventure. One of the apprentices is 30 years old and may still have a while to go, and the others are similar ages.

Will be interesting to see where thi
Ian
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked that the story was sent in an Eastern inspired setting. I liked the different take on magic and the gardens around the wizards.

The writing was only ok and I kept losing my attention at various points.
Michael Wood
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very Satisfying Sword & Sorcery Epic

Michael Wallace's "The Red Sword" is an almost perfect example of what a S&S novel should be. (And it is the first book in a trilogy!) He has written so many good books that it would be hard to pick a favorite, but this is a strong contender.

As I began reading, I thought this might be a YA (young adult) coming of age story, but the scope and depth far exceeds a YA book. Instead, the protagonist is trying to overcome a magical handicap (which his master mage co
Gaileen Crowell
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading the Dark Citadel series it is nice to get the back story.

Good reading with a depth that is intriguing. Recommended for those who want the "rest of the story" or the beginning of a great series that continues a century or so later with the Dark Citadel. The characters are believable and have depth. The plot is rich and holds some unforseen mystery. Recommended reading.

Jim Darnell
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sword and Sorcery, A New World Awaits

I started my journey a bit backwards by reading THE DARK CITADEL first. A 5 part adventure that is absolutely amazing in creating a new world that comes to life through wonderful penmanship of author David Wallace. I digress though, the Red Sword Trilogy is a superb work in its own right. Giving our heroes and villains background stories as the mad King wants to subjugate the world. Thank you for hours of delightful entertainment.
Margaret
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've read in a while. Basically the same thing just happened over and over for an endless amount of pages.

I didn't find the characters relatable or interesting. I felt the story started and ended in the middle (granted there is another one). I didn't think the world was well described and the struggle was I'll defined and seemed purposeless.

I genuinely disliked this book. I'm not sure what other reviewers enjoyed, but to each there own and it's just my opinion.
John Mackey
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great interesting fantasy fiction novel of a group of mages and having to protect themselves and their home from a king that was a necromancer. The sword I loved how the weapon was brought into play by the paladin and how absorb souls, and depending on the stronger souls whether evil or good which would dominate the sword and the swords reaction.
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
blood and dead

Marble has been a blood apprentice forever. but right now his Master's head is regrowing in the Garden and until and until he, and his fellow apprentices must protect their little temple from evil. but evil breaks in and now the battle with the dead begins

Fantastic....great...fun..
Y.I. Washington
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Fast Exciting Read

I enjoyed finally getting to read some of Markal's history. Having already read The Dark Citadel Series I was really happy to discover this trilogy.

I would've given 5 stars but, I felt as if the characters weren't as developed as in the original series. However, I do look forward to the rest of the trilogy and immersing myself further into this world.
Gail
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book!

Michael Wallace is a great story teller; he knows how to entrance you to keep your interest in finding out what will happen next. His enchanted garden for wizards and the red sword wielded by a woman warrior is only the beginning. If you like wizards, warriors, and enchantments, you will love this book. I look forward to the next two books of the trilogy.Fantastic
Dave
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing world and it's inhabitants that I have fallen it as I read this story. The classic battle of good and evil, on many levels and ways. Characters to love and characters to hate. I can not give you details without spoiling the story for you. But know that the next book I read is part 2 of this trilogy. ...more
Gio
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh
Connie Steinberg
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the beginning

This book lays the ground works and introduces the players for the trilogy. It has interpersonal actions as well as magical battles. I look forward to reading the next book
John Doe
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok gaping holes

Boring, predictable with no back story or magic system explained, little character development and pace either molasses or lightning. Had I read for free, attention span held for 2 hours
Colin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable quick read

This book was quick to breeze through, but the descriptions and imagery was ample and the story was well thought out and rich. I'll be interested to read the next book in the series.
Don
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Make it 3 1/2 stars. It never really grabbed me. I never really became invested in any of the characters. But I didn't hate it either. It was mildly entertaining. Haven't decided yet if I'm gonna read the sequels. ...more
Stacy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looks to be a great trilogy!

So far it's very intriguing. Looks to be a great trilogy!!! I look forward to reading the next book. Seems to be related to the Dark Citadel series. Hope I'm going in the right order starting with this trilogy.
Artem Grinblat
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
There are bright sides, like certain magical battles and trickery. But the book has blindsides, especially towards the end, only giving attention to a narrow layer of reflection and leaving everything else in a dreamy haze. This leaves the world bare and lacking in meaning or cohesiveness.
Barbara S. Fetty
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable book.

Enjoyed reading this book. It was a little different from your regular fantasy. I liked the characters and their interactions.
Michael Schuknecht
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

The book grabs you and keeps your attention. Can't wait for the other book in series. Keep Up The Great Writing.
Audrey Friedman
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good book but I would have liked more background info on the other wizards from the Dark Citadel series: Chantmer and Narud specifically. Great start to the new trilogy though!!
Stacey
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I enjoyed this book and plan to read the sequel, "The black shield" when it is released. A nice divergence from the average science-fantasy scenario.
Dallas & Jessica
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story!

I loved the characters and the lore of the world. It was a refreshing telling of fantasy characters. I can't wait to read the rest of the series
Bec Protheroe
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Original

Really enjoyed I am looking forward to the next book some really original idea's glad I came across this book a gem
Jose M. Soto
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced,action

Story shows how sometimes smarts can beat powerful magic. I can't wait to see the young wizard come into his power
Goodreads Librari...: cover on amazon 2 14 Dec 16, 2017 12:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: new series 2 13 Dec 15, 2017 09:12PM

• Immortality and Chaos: The Complete Epic Pentalogy (Immortality and Chaos #1-5)
  • The Complete Rhenwars Saga: An Epic Fantasy Pentalogy
  • Elven Fury (Agents of the Crown #4)
  • Dragon Tear (Agents of the Crown #5)
  • The Keeper Chronicles (The Keeper Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Heritage of Power (The Complete Series #1-5)
  • Chaos Trapped (Chaos and Retribution #4)
  • Duty Bound (Agents of the Crown #3)
  • The Fall of Neverdark (The Echoes Saga, #4)
  • Shadow Hunted (Chaos and Retribution #5)
  • Blood Ties (Agents of the Crown #2)
  • The Wings of War Boxset: Books 1-4 (The Wings of War #1-4)
  • Power Forged (Chaos and Retribution #6)
  • Sea Born (Chaos and Retribution #3)
  • The Dragon's Blade Trilogy: A Complete Epic Fantasy Series
  • Sky Touched (Chaos and Retribution #2)
  • Kingdom of Bones (The Echoes Saga, #5)
  • Heroes of Issalia: Rogues and Runes Edition
Would you like an alert when the next Michael Wallace book is published? Sign up for Michael's email list and receive a free Kindle copy of The Righteous novella "Trial by Fury." This list is used to announce new releases and occasional offers of free advance copies, not for any other purpose.

Michael also welcomes email from readers at m.wallace23(at)yahoo(dot)com.

The Red Sword Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Black Shield (The Red Sword Trilogy #2)
  • The Emerald Crown (The Red Sword Trilogy #3)

News & Interviews