Start by marking “A Lady's Deception” as Want to Read:
A Lady's Deception

A Lady's Deception

(Haslemere Men #2)

Mr. Hugh Grey and Miss Eleanor Broxton share a scintillating liaison the night before he leaves for war in Canada. The memory sustained him for the years he was away. Now, the reputed rake is back, knighted, and he’s got enough money to right the estate his father left in ruins. What would make Sir Hugh Grey’s world perfect is the lovely Eleanor by his side.

Their attracti

Published August 28th 2017 by Entangled: Select Historical

To ask other readers questions about A Lady's Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady's Deception

Sissy's Romance Book Review
'A Lady's Decption' by Pamela Mingle is Book Two in the "Haslemere Men" Series. This is the story of Mr. Hugh Grey and Miss Eleanor Broxton. I have read the previous book but feel this can easily be a standalone book.
Hugh and Eleanor had been friends when they were younger and on the Eve of him leaving for Canada he wanted to say goodbye to Eleanor. They had an encounter in the barn that meant everything to Eleanor and she hoped it meant something to Hugh. But for about three years she never he
Jultri
Sonya Heaney
So much for the heroine's fair hair (gives the cover designer a dirty look)!

I don’t consider it a spoiler to say that this is a “secret baby” book. The information is right there in the blurb, and it is information we learn very early on.

I’m going to say this at the start: a skunk is an *American* animal. There was some US English in this book I overlooked because the writing was good, but the suggestion of skunks in the forests of 1810s England made me groan.

I was *really* excited when I starte
Tam
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugh and Eleanor's story was "sigh worthy". And, I mean that in a good way! Hugh was so romantic and sweet. He gave Eleanor a kitten, for Heaven's sake! That was a "swoon worthy" move in my opinion. Eleanor can't help but be swept off of her feet by Hugh, again. But, the secret she is hiding from him could destroy everything.

I was instantly drawn into this tale of second chances, and I did not want to put my Kindle down. The characters were written with such heart and depth. The plot was intere
MarytheBookLover
My Opinion:
I like both of these characters and they did have plenty of passion between them. I just felt like someone should smack some sense into both of them. Hugh for not acting like a grown up and putting the past behind him to move forward and Eleanor for not telling the truth from the start. With the back and forth throughout the book, it just made me want to shake them. The writing was good and I didn't get bored reading this story. I just felt that there was just to much back and forth a
Nicole
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from net galley for an honest review. Thank you!!

This novel was a nice read. The story begins with what happened with the couple two years ago and where they are two years later. It gave some incite on how each character progressed, but the past always has a way of returning. Unless you confront it, you cannot move forward in life.
Miss Eleanor Broxton is a shy young lady who got to know Mr. Hugh Grey before he left for Canada. She liked Hugh and was sad to see him leave, but
Cathy Geha
A Lady’s Deception by Pamela Mingle
Haslemere Men #2

One night of abandon between Hugh and Eleanor before he left for war in Canada changed their lives in more ways than one. His return found him knighted, restoring the family residence, still estranged from his mother and brother and also still interested in Eleanor.

The story is in keeping with the early 1800’s and at times I felt I was reading one of the books that I enjoyed as a teen that had been printed in the early 1900’s. I understood why
Valerie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading A Lady's Deception. It was a fast paced book that read very easily. The characters had personality that I could understand and sympathize with. Eleanor struggles to support her desire for independence among the dissatisfaction from her family. Sir Hugh fights to understand the clashing emotions from Eleanor as well as his own towards his own family. Then - Eleanor's secret and how it changed everyone's world. A really good book - I would definitely recommend it. I received an a ...more
Lux Lewis
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Grey and Eleanor Broxton shared an amorous dalliance the night before he left to join the war forces in Canada. They didn't have any communication in the years they were apart. Sir Hugh Grey came back form the war, knighted and financially able to restore their old house to its former glory. Eleanor and Hugh have realised that their deep affection for each other hasn't abated. They eventually laid bare their ardent feelings for each other but Eleanor have some misgivings. She hasn't been tr ...more
Candy Briggs
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Grey brought a commission and was leaving for Canada in a day or two. Eleanor Broxton, he had meet at a house party. He felt an instant connection, as did she. They ended having a liason and then he left. She started a dressmakers business and worked very hard. After two years, he returned and started working on his house.
It seems to me, that if he cared about her, it would have taken less than three weeks to go see her. Makes you wonder. The author has taken an interesting plot and made it
Donna
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks NetGalley for a copy of this book. A quick and easy read with a slightly different storyline from most of its genre and would certainly recommend it.
Kristina Brownell
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a week ago and I had already forgotten all about it! As I took it back to the library, I read the synopsis and remembered that it was ridiculous and vulgar. Don't waste your time.
Bec
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Eleanor Broxton and Hugh Grey had very strong feelings for each other and spent an incredible night together before he headed off for war in Canada. Now two years later, Hugh is back with plenty of money; knighted and finding people calling him 'Sir'. Yet, there's one thing he wants more than anything, and that's to have Eleanor back in his life and by his side. Will Hugh be able to win Eleanor back, or will the secret she's been keeping turn them against each other when Hugh learns the truth?

Al
Brenda
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Publisher's Description:

Their attraction is sizzling, and the sweet way Hugh is wooing her—a kitten, kisses in the moonlight, and expert he
Krystal
Even though this is number two in a series, you do not have to have read the first in order to enjoy this one. Yes, characters from book one do make an appearance in this one, and certain themes do carry over, but this story is about Hugh and Eleanor first and foremost.

This story was one of those unfortunate cases where I feel it feel solidly in the middle of the road for me. The writing was decent, the plot-line was ok, but over all something was just missing.

Hugh and Eleanor were interesting
Janet
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Hugh Grey and Miss Eleanor Broxton share a passionate encounter the night before he leaves for war in Canada. The memory sustained him for the three years he was away. Now, the reputed rake is back, knighted, and he’s got enough money to put right the ruined estate his father left him. What would make Sir Hugh Grey’s world perfect is the lovely Eleanor by his side.
Their attraction is sizzling but she’s hiding a daughter conceived on that November night. Hugh is estranged from his
Widya Rahardja
Receive an advanced reader copy from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review

This is my first book with this author

I heard good things about this author based on the review and recommendation from friends so I wanted to know about this author more. Turned out, my first experience with this author didn't start with a good feeling

I usually love one thing in a book, whether it's a plot, or just simply the characters itself, to make me want to read the book until the end. With this book, I don't know
Janis
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Lady's Deception follows A False Proposal, this time telling the story of Hugh Grey, brother of Adam from the previous book. Both men take a roundabout route to their true loves, but not without a lot of intrigue and frustration along the way. One of the best things about these two books is that the female characters are what I would call quasi-feminists. Eleanor Broxton is the lady whose deception informs the story. It is not a spoiler to say that Eleanor and Hugh have a child out of wedlock ...more
Lesley
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
OK Read
I struggled slightly with this book, one because of inaccuracies (a skunk, in England?) but also because of the hero. He is several times described as a gentleman but he seems to have little honour in his dealings with Eleanor. He seems to assume because she slept with him once as a young, naive girl she will be willing to do so again, without the benefit of marriage or at the very least a understanding. Why he would think that whilst she is not a widow nor a woman of loose morals is rath
SH
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter of this novel set the pace. The instant attraction between Miss Eleanor Broxton and Mr Hugh Grey leads to one brief encounter that changes their lives forever. Hugh leaves almost immediately for Canada, only to return two years later, hoping to meet Eleanor again. However, Hugh’s return has also meant that he has taken over the running of the family estate. His tense relationship with his mother and brother has changed him and his renewed feelings for Eleanor, leave him conflic ...more
Amanda
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lady's Deception starts out quite passionately! Hugh and Eleanor spend one night in the wild passion but now years have passed can they pick up where they left off? Hugh is still enamored with Eleanor and she realizes she still cares for him but she has too much to focus on and a relationship will not help. The path that they take to get back together was a romantic on Hugh"s part and sometimes annoying on Eleanors. Keep in mind I understand why she wanted to keep her secret BUT she knew she c ...more
Laila Viking
Well written book with great storyline and plot. A sweet book that has great romance. The story is true to it's time period and the language is also. I like when an author has made research about the time period they want to write the story in.

I love the couples journey towards their HEA. There is drama, family issues, passion, emotions and some twists. Instant attraction.

Nice chemistry and passion. I like the main characters and how they develop. The story flows nicely and it is very captivatin
Petula
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Grey has finished his army service and returned home after the death of his father. After more than two years away he has a lot of responsibilities to take on. He carries a lot of emotional baggage and often speaks before he thinks.
Miss Eleanor Broxton is an independent and strong minded young woman. She is working extremely hard towards a definite goal. The last thing she needs is the distraction that comes with the man who plays a big part in her reasons for working so hard.
Get a big bo
Julia
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This romance story was sweet, reminding me of Downton Abbey (which is, of course, set in a different time period). I liked the chemistry Hugh and Eleonora had from the start and enjoyed the slow dance around each other until they found their happily ever after.

This review is based on a NetGalley ARC.
Galina Sulaiman
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-win
What a refreshing historical romance. This book brought tears to my eyes several times. A book that can bring out that strong of emotions from me is definitely worth 5 stars.
I don't want to give spoilers, so will keep this short because the emotional journey was sweet. If you like a good journey in a couple, then Eleanor and Hugh will have you rooting for them.
Dawn Wells
A lady's deception

By Pamela Mingle

Good storyline for a historical romance. Although, it begins like many boy meets girl romances. It becomes quite intriguing when it goes against tradition. However, some parts are a little rushed and a little iffy. The majority of the book is okay. ⭐⭐⭐
Susan Thomas
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A second chance at love story and a secret that could ruin that love. Finding out if these characters could overcome their past and move forward to a happier future was an enjoyable experience.
I received an ARC copy of this book from Netgalley.
Karen
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admired Eleanor's work ethic and her perseverance. She tried to make the best of a bad situation. I thought that Hugh was a strong character and willing to make changes in his life. I enjoyed their story and would like to read "A False Proposal (Haslemere Men #1.)"
Brittany
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
This book made me so angry. I could not stand Hugh. He literally just only thought about himself. I was definitely not a fan.
Annalice
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secret-baby
3.6
Maybe I liked the beginning better than the ending??
And I definitely liked the very beginning lol.
  • The Governess and the Beast (Blind Cupid Series Book 2)
  • Undeniable
  • A Love to Remember (The Disgraced Lords, #7)
  • The Heart of a Duke
  • Tutoring Lady Jane
  • The Wager (Sisters of Scandal, #2)
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Captain's Price
  • A Season of Hope (Danby, #2)
  • Tempting Mr. Weatherstone (Wallflower Weddings, #0.5)
  • The Duke of Ruin (The Untouchables, #8)
  • The Letter
  • Forever a Lord (The Rumor, #3)
  • The Scandalous Flirt (Cinderella Sisterhood, #6)
  • Waiting For an Earl Like You (Masters of Seduction, #3)
  • How to Marry a Marquess (Wedded by Scandal, #3)
  • Her Favorite Duke (The 1797 Club, #2)
  • Seducing the Duchess
Pamela Mingle is a former teacher and librarian who was fortunate enough to choose writing as a third career. Or maybe it chose her. :) She loves to create romantic tales that play out against historical events and always includes some humor in her books.

Pam and her husband enjoy walking in the UK--even though she's done her share of whining on the longer days. The walking trips have been an idea

Haslemere Men (2 books)