Start by marking “CWA Anthology of Short Stories: Mystery Tour” as Want to Read:
CWA Anthology of Short Stories: Mystery Tour

CWA Anthology of Short Stories: Mystery Tour

Crime spreads across the globe in this new collection of short stories from the Crime Writer’s Association, as a conspiracy of prominent crime authors take you on world mystery tour. Highlights of the trip include a treacherous cruise to French Polynesia, a horrifying trek in South Africa, a murderous train-ride across Ukraine and a vengeful killing in Mumbai. But back hom ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Orenda Books

Miriam Smith
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kept-book, orenda, signed
Goodness, my passport has been well and truly stamped after my round the world mystery tour with the "CWA Anthology of Short Stories" published by Orenda Books!
Twenty eight short stories are featured here by a variety of well known and prominent authors in the crime writing industry. Introduced and edited by author Martin Edwards (who also has a story included) explains how each author was given the criteria of basing their stories on the unifying theme of travel and intriguing destination
Linda Strong
This is an anthology of new stories by members of the Crime Writers' Association. These stories reflect the theme of traveling and intriguing destinations. The authors are diverse ...some are well-known, like Sharon Bolton, Ian Rankin, and Peter Lovesey. The others are lesser known, but I recommend making a list of those names to follow.

Most of these stories were rated 4 stars or 5 stars, by my standards. Innovative, mysterious, suspenseful with great characters make for some terrifi
Sandy

This is a great anthology of shorties from authors who all signed on to a “mystery tour”. Right away you know you’ll be tripping over bodies stashed in dark corners all over the world.

It’s an opportunity to try on new (to you) authors & then hunt down the full length novels of those you enjoyed. There’s a wide variety of styles & sub-genres within the crime community. As with all collections, everyone will have their personal favourites but here are a few that stood
Eva
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, the dilemmas I was presented with when the opportunity to read this book came up. First of all, I’m not always interested in short sorties, unless they’re by my favourite authors but that’s more because I’m always worried I’ll miss out on something fabulous. For the most part though, I always feel short stories are … well, too short and just when I finally sink my teeth into them, they’re over and done with. But, this is Orenda and we love Orenda, we do! So, decision made and yes, I was goin ...more
Susan Hampson
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
I love the Introduction at the beginning of this book which explains how the authors of this collection of short stories came together and the guide lines that they were given to write their stories. I have to say this is a collection to drool over and this statement includes both the authors involved and the stories that I read.
The core theme was “to write stories reflecting the unifying theme of travel and intriguing destinations.” Of course CWA is the abbreviation for Crime Writers Asso
BookwormDH
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A superb collection of clever, quirky and quite dark crime fiction short stories. Authors old and new, this is a spectacular example of the quality of writers currently writing some amazing work.

Eclectic and varied stories will have you gripped. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommended.
Karen
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I sometimes read a short story as a filler between books, I don’t often read a complete book of them. Not because I don’t like them but I would usually rather get my nose into a full length book. BUT this collection was irresistible and I couldn’t say no. An array of stories written by some of my favourite authors – what’s not to like!

All the stories have a travel theme. From a deserted Thai island, to Iceland, to Prague – a cruise to the islands around New Zealand. You real
TheRavenking
Disappointing. Most of these stories were very short and felt like the authors didn't really care that much about the task given by the editor. It's not all bad, the always reliable Martin Edwards and Peter Lovesey deliver typically solid though rather unremarkabke efforts and Vaseem Khan's entry is quite excellent, but I was expecting more.
Cathy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, short-stories
The stories in this collection are an object lesson in conciseness. Each of the contributors possesses the ability to create an atmosphere of tension, intrigue and suspense from the off, propelling the reader straight into the story and then delivering a satisfyingly punchy conclusion.  There are tales motivated by revenge, envy, greed, lust, to punish sins or a desire for freedom. But, as is so often the case, best laid plans are thwarted and events take an unexpected turn.

Because o
Alan Teder
I very much enjoyed the variety in these 28 stories and there were several authors that I would definitely read again.
The definite standout was Accounting for Murder by Christine Poulson. It is told entirely through copies of receipts. The reader has to “write” the story in their mind.
A good fun setting and partnership was Bombay Brigadoon by Vaseem Khan. The retired detective Chopar investigates crimes alongside his pet elephant Ganesha, who rides along in a trailer.
A few of these weren't really crime or
booksofallkinds
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previous to starting my blog over a year and a half ago, crime fiction wasn't really on my radar but after some recommendations from a few of my fellow bloggers last year, I have become completely hooked on the genre and delve into the twisted plot lines as much as possible. Crime fiction and Orenda Books go hand in hand so when I discovered that the CWA was organising an anthology of short stories I instantly knew it would be a gem and I was right.

Taking us on a tour of murder and lies that sp
Emma
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of short story collections and anthologies. I enjoy the variety, the way the author has to make their point in a significantly reduced number of words and still make it interesting and believable. I love that anthologies give the reader the opportunity to dip in and out as they choose. In particular, I love THIS collection of worldly crime stories. So much so that I would go as far as saying this is the best collection I have read for some time.

When it comes to reviewing a
Rowena Hoseason
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This collection of 28, contemporary short stories is billed as an international anthology, although the majority of writers are British or American. There’s just one Scandi story, one from Mumbai, and one written by a South African team, but many of the other pieces are set in exotic locations where idyllic vacations suddenly turn sinister.

In the atmospheric Return To The Lake, family secrets bubble up to the surface, revealing the identity of a murderer from decades earlier. The Las
Cheryl M-M
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personally I think anthologies are a great way to discover new authors. It’s kind of like having a taster session with a book full of talented scribes. You can get a real feeling for writing styles, voices and how creative they can be. Not everyone can draw in a reader with a short story. Short stories are an art-form unto themselves.

This anthology offers a great mixture of authors, and all of them know exactly how to create suspense and tension in a few pages. Some of the stories ve
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review can be found at sarahsvignettes.wordpress.com

Well, what a mystery tour that was! I have travelled the world, been privy to some interesting crimes and met some rather suspect characters, thankfully all from the comfort of the sofa.

For the CWA Anthology of Short Stories: Mystery Tour, members of the Crime Writer's Association were invited to write stories reflecting the unifying theme of travel and intriguing destinations. It was so exciting to read the differe
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I rarely read short stories, and when I do they are usually all by the same author. Reading this proved to me that I am missing out on some fabulous stories and some great authors. Out of the twenty-eight that featured I had heard of about a dozen and read about eight.
They all had a common theme, that of travelling but all approached the subject in different ways. There were some fascinating places but also some which you would hope never to see.
I know that some of the reviewers chos
Kelly Van Damme
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-and-sweet
I stumbled upon CWA Anthology of Short Stories: Mystery Tour by Martin Edwards from Orenda Books in my Kindle app last year and decided to snap it up, since it had been a while I had read short stories and this seemed like a collection I’d enjoy. And it was! CWA (which stands for Crime Writer’s Association BTW) Anthology of Short Stories: Mystery Tour is an excellent mystery / thriller / crime collection featuring authors like Anna Mazzola, C. L. Taylor, Julia Crouch and Susi (S.J.) Holliday. On ...more
Sharon
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now it’s shaping up to be a long cold winter and the theme of this anthology is travel and intriguing destinations. So what better way to go travelling than through the dark eyes of some of the worlds finest crime writers. This is one I’m going to be dipping in and out of over the winter months. I’ll just be giving you a small taste of what’s to come.

Kicking off the collection is the amazing Anne Cleeves with “The Queen of Mystery”. This is sure to delight all the lovers of crime wri
Amy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The twenty-eight contributions in this collection reflect a unifying theme of travel and each of the authors has interpreted the brief in their own unique and diverse way which makes for a really varied collection from a mixture of bestselling authors, rising stars and relative newcomers.

As with all anthologies, there were some stories I liked more than others and some writers whose style I preferred so it’s a great way to read new material from old favourites whilst also discovering
Cleopatra  Pullen
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, crime
This collection of short stories consists of twenty-eight stories from a wonderful array of contemporary crime writers which take us on a mystery tour of different locations.

I’ve not always got on well with short stories although I have always appreciated the skill that goes into paring a tale back to the basics whilst leaving the reader satisfied with a small morsel, in that respect the form is more like fine dining than an all you can eat buffet! What I have decided is that while m
Gordon Mcghie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories poses problems which I don’t normally encounter, the primary concern being: How do you read them?

A short story anthology may look like a book and act like a book but a volume of short stories is an unusual beast. It changes, it evolves, characters come and go – never to be seen again, there are often chapters of excellence but sometimes you experience a head-scratching moment and ponder what you have just read. You may laugh for a few pages then be terri
Fictionophile
This exciting collection of short stories features crime writers working with a "mystery tour" or travel theme. Showcasing the diversity of the contemporary crime-fiction genre, these 28 compelling stories will take you on a memorable trip - and you'll not even have to leave your armchair.

It has been too long since I've immersed myself in a tome of short stories. I know that they are not for everyone.  Myself, I enjoy them a lot, I own a lot of anthologies, yet, inexplicably, I tend
Thelastwordreview
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many will know of my love of short stories so I was delighted when a copy of CWA Anthology of Short Stories – Mystery Tour landed on my doormat from Orenda Books. The Crime Writer’s Association has brought together some of the very best crime writers for a world tour – of crime writing. Now this is my kind of world tour.

From the UK to France, the Ukraine, South Africa and India along with many more on a murderous crime spree of twenty-eight short stories. This is just the most incredible collec
Clair
A number of members of the Crime Writers’ Association (or the CWA) were invited to write stories with the focus on travel and intriguing destinations….and what fabulous destinations they chose!

The first CWA collection of stories first appeared in 1956 and have been published nearly every since however this is the first anthology I have read (hangs head in shame as crime is my go-to genre!). When I first picked up this book, I was most excited for the stories from Anna Mazzola after l
Karen Cole
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I've read a collection of short stories and longer still since I've read an anthology by different authors but what a way to remind myself what I've been missing! The only problem was where to start, should I choose an author or pick a story at random? Eventually I decided to start at the very beginning (as Julie Andrews once suggested!)
Every single story here is a treat; the theme for the anthology is a mystery tour and so we're taken around the world and see huma
Nicola Smith
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
In all honesty, short stories are not usually my thing but I couldn't resist this collection of twenty-eight stories by some of the crime writing fraternity's biggest players. A wonderful array of respected crime authors have contributed towards this collection with a theme of travel and intriguing destinations and I did indeed feel like I had travelled the world in twenty-eight easy steps, whizzing through the pages of felonies, follies and fatalities.

By the time I closed the book I
Susan Corcoran
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m the first to admit that i’m not a big reader of short stories, they tend to leave me feeling a little disatisfied. I prefer full length novels I can loose myself in!
Well I am converted!
This incrediable selection of stories is perfect reading material. All the stories are exciting, edge of the seat reading. Like perfectly formed fruit, they wet your appetiate for more from each writer, but leave you satisfied and utterly spellbound at the same time. Think of this book like a Chris
Chelsea B.
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got 10 stories into this anthology before deciding it just wasn't for me. From stories that had no real concrete closure to stories that made me downright upset, me and this book just did not jive at all.
Zoe Radley
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Having picked this up in the library where I live and noticing that I new some of the authors I thought this would be a great book to read.... short stories of mystery murder and mayhem whilst travelling or somewhere far away. So got down to reading it and well I have felt very deflated and pretty disappointed with this whole collection. Some of the stories were totally far fetched to the point of wtf!!! And some stories just stopped... as in stopped.. it felt like the author couldn’t be arsed t ...more
Jen
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017challenge
What happens when some of the best ever crime writers join forces and pull together a collection of short stories? Well, something fast approaching perfection is what. Whether you are already a fan of short stories, or this is your first ever collection, there really is a little something for everyone in here.

It’s very hard to review a short story collection without perhaps giving too much away about the stories inside it. Each one of them is very, very different and offers a unique
Martin Edwards’ latest novel, Gallows Court, was published in September. He is consultant to the British Library’s Crime Classics series, and has written sixteen contemporary whodunits, including The Coffin Trail, which was shortlisted for the Theakston’s Prize for best crime novel of the year. His genre study The Golden Age of Murder won the Edgar, Agatha, H.R.F. Keating and Macavity awards, whil ...more