Start by marking “The Accidental Bad Girl” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Bad Girl

The Accidental Bad Girl

After getting caught hooking up with her best friend’s ex on the last day of junior year, Kendall starts senior year friendless and ostracized. She plans to keep her head down until she graduates. But after discovering her online identity has been hacked and she’s being framed for stealing from a dealer, Kendall is drawn into a tenuous partnership with the mastermind of a ...more
Published May 15th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Bad Girl, please sign up.
Maxine Kaplan Thanks for thinking so! I don't have a sequel planned at the moment, but I do have some ideas for further adventures :)
The Great Alone by Kristin HannahCirce by Madeline MillerEducated by Tara WestoverThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWhere the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Best Books of 2018
1,379 books — 2,598 voters
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,051 books — 5,516 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Accidental Bad Girl
Elle (TheBookishActress)
The Accidental Bad Girl is a book that almost slipped under my radar. With a blurb that promises entertaining drama and not much else, I think I was expecting to find this one good but not great. A three-star read in the making. And those stories have merit, don’t get me wrong. But honestly? It was so much better than that.

I think one of my favorite things about this book, in general, is how it subverts and plays with genre expectations. I liked that this book subtly subverts the usual chara
Erin
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: electric-18s
Okay, do you guys remember the movie GO? Yes, the one from the 90s with Sarah Polley after she was in AVONLEA but before she was in SPLICE. And also Joey from DAWSON'S CREEK. And Tim Olyphant (love him!) as the skeezy-but-hot drug dealer. Sorry, I digress. The point is that I loved GO as a teen, though I haven't seen it in ages so I have no idea whether it's stood the test of time.

BUT it kinda doesn't matter because Maxine Kaplan has written a book that captures the youthful, adrenaline-fueled
Robyn
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The start of Kendall Evans Senior year in high school is already getting off to a rocky start. She is shunned by the girls she used to consider friends because of an incident that took place at the end of her junior year when she was caught in school half naked with her best friend’s ex-boyfriend, Grant. Now she finds herself out of the “in” crowd and kind of at a loss as to where she belongs. It doesn’t help matters that her facebook account gets hacked and she finds herself in the middle of so ...more
 LEAH⇢

Undercover Cops & Take Downs
With Audio Performed by Julia Knippen
description

MY THOUGHTS⇢

On the outside, this feels like a vapid high school drama, with a dose of forced drug dealing.  You might even pass it up because of this.  But, you should give it a chance because it might just surprise you.  For the first half it fel
Dana Mele
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Accidental Bad Girl is a clever update to the classic noir genre. It’s a whiplash fast read with characters who kept me guessing and twists and turns that had me flipping pages late into the night to see what happened next. Recommend to fans of mysteries and thrillers!
Jen Ryland
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Did this Veronica Mars-esque book about a girl at a private school who a) gets publicly caught with her best friend's ex and b) ends up in some shady business live up to Veronica's early 2000s awesomeness?

For the most part, yes. See Jen Ryland Reviews The Accidental Bad Girl

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for
Dahlia
Oof, I freaking LOVED that. Fun and twisty and action-packed and smart and surprising and did I mention fun? This really, really needs to be better marketed as a mystery-thriller because it's the best one I've read in a while.
Jordan (thejordanjournals)
EDIT: Uping my rating again to a 5/5 stars.
Uping rating to a 4.5/5 stars.
3.75/5 stars.

I went into this not really knowing what to expect, but I was actually pleasantly surprised.

I would say this is a great “gateway” book for people trying to dip their toes into the adult thriller/mystery genre. It has a lot of the same elements that adult thrillers rely on—an unlikeable female protagonist, an epic chase, a mystery you're trying to solve, and even some of the sex and drugs influences often seen
Derek Milman
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn! This book was like an early Sleater-Kinney album: spiky and complicated and punk and badass and feminist all in one, with a cool, seething midnight gloss. There's an undercurrent of Hitchcock, Veronica Mars, and neo noir. The voice practically jumps off the page; the characters are flawed, fascinating, and multi-layered. And they make terrible, awful mistakes, consumed by a wide range of dark and tangled emotions. I LOVED IT!

The Brooklyn setting is so immersive. It's not specifically set i
Thamy
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley2018

Not your regular contemporary YA.

3.5, because most of the plot was too surreal. But it deserved the round-up to 4.

Kendall isn't the queen bee but she's close enough when she gets herself involved in a big scandal along with her best friend's ex-boyfriend. Now everyone seems to either hate or avoid her. To make things worse, her Facebook account was hacked and attracted the attention of a dangerous drug dealer, who also happens to be really angry after having his "doses" stolen. Kendall is then b
Amelinda Bérubé
This book is as whip-smart and sneaky as its protagonist. Between the compelling action and the unflinching feminism, it's impossible to put down - and even when you manage to, it leaves you thinking.
Fatma
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok

Thanks to ABRAMS Kids/Amulet Books for providing me with an e-ARC of this via NetGalley!

This was...not what I was expecting. Okay, let me qualify that statement. To be fair, I hadn't really expected much of this book. Given the title and the reviews I'd been looking at, I gathered that it was a contemporary about slut-shaming in a high-school setting. And it was about that, but it was also way larger in scope than I thought. First and foremost, I wanna say that the messages The Acciden
Marie
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
When you first stop and stare at this cover, read the synopsis, you feel like it's going to be a fun read. It's so much more than that though.
I had so much fun reading this book. I loved the badass main character, I really liked the mystery going on and was entertained from page one. I also appreciated so, so much the discussions happening regarding rape and slut-shaming in this story, too.
Definitely recommend it.

Full review coming soon!

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovi
Jaime Questell
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to love about this book! Kaplan's prose is sharp, the dialog is crackling, and the feminism is front and center. The twists and turns of this novel were so well-planned out. I loved this and can't wait to see what Kaplan does next!
Julia Rubin
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daamn! Maxine Kaplan's debut is sharp, witty, and will leave you on the edge of your seat! Amazingly complex characters + hilarious dialogue + feminist noir makes for one hell of a read.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Simone was quiet for a while. I watched as she seemed to process the information. Her face was beautiful but a little confusing: unreadable and ethnically ambiguous. I was staring, trying to parse whether she was part Asian--maybe Vietnamese?--when she said matter-of-factly, "She's kind of scary. I think you should stay away from her if you can. Just my opinion." (The Accidental Bad Girl, p. 31)

And not long after it's confirmed Simone is biracial with a Chinese mother, this:
Simone stuck her tong
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
After Kendall is caught almost having sex with her best friend’s ex, she becomes persona non grata. Once popular, now the only people in school who talk to her is the nerdy Gilly and Simone, who “went crazy” and disappeared for two years. Someone blackmails Kendall into getting involved in a drug ring and the former good girl becomes THE ACCIDENTAL BAD GIRL.

For someone as bright as Kendall, she lacked common sense and a natural self-preservation mode. Readers have to suspect their disbelief that
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Damn! What a book! When I requested this novel, I was expecting a fun typical YA novel. What I was not expecting was the amount of depth this baby carried. There was a large amount of current issues covered in this book such as; slut shaming, drugs, rape and more. I also want to add that I think the cover is just as badass as the book! I highly recommend this one!
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
I read someone comparing this book to Easy A in their review. And i was like oh yeah that’s an example i would use to describe this book.

Kendall, was a very, Olive, esuqe character. She is such a badass, when trapped in such impossible situations she just handles them like a boss! She never once back down or moans about whats happening to her. Just go with the flow like the boss she is. And stands by the choices she has made.

Other characters:

The side characters are very interesting, and some d
Rumsha A • Storiesandplottwists
 I love both chick flick movies and books and here is why i think 'The Accidental Bad Girl' by Maxine Kaplan was different from all those.
For starters, the main character of this book; Kendall, can not identify herself neither as a mean girl nor a nice girl. She's somewhere in between and she owns it. Shit hits the fan when she is 'forced' to accept the identity of a mean, bad girl. There's drugs and sexual abuse and relationships and fake friends.

The drama unlike other YA/NA/high school books
julianna ➹
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arc
i've honestly been reading so many innocent-girl-turns-bad books and i kind of love it

also ayyyyy my first book of the year

thank you so much to Abrams books for sending me an arc of this book! of course, my opinion is completely honest and unaffected.
Jessica Bayliss
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this YA about a girl who is labeled a "bad" girl and decides to live up to the image everyone has cast upon her. A really unique YA thriller and a super-fun read.
Kiana
This book is seriously underrated. Less than 200 ratings on Goodreads, yet it is one of the best books I’ve read all year. For one thing, it’s wholly original—sure, there are stories about the good, all-American model student turning “bad” as the result of some unfortunate circumstances (and, Breaking Bad-style, deciding that they actually somewhat enjoy it), but The Accidental Bad Girl brings so much more to the table. Above all, it’s a brilliantly executed character study of a girl who has bee ...more
Forever Young Adult
Talky Talk: Straight Up
Trigger Warnings: Rape, Drugs
Bonus Factor: Feminism
Relationship Status: Girl Gang

Read the full book report here.
Grace P
3.5/5 Stars

Kendall is inherently a strong character with a bit of unpredictability. From the buzz for the book, I’m not quite sure what I expected of this book, but, in the end, it surprised me. The different relationships that Kendall had with her parents, her new friends (Gilly and Simone), and her old friends-turned-enemies (Audrey and Ellie), made for a dynamic that continued to draw me in. Centered around blackmail and betrayal, the story is a mystery but also so many other genres. Some ch
Morris
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't a book so deep as this one. It's a scathing indictment of society featuring a badass young woman that is perfect for the times in which we live. Highly recommended!

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for honest feedback.
Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
The Accidental Bad Girl is a dark and eerily real high school thriller that follows the journey of Kendall's fall from grace to her redemption. Kendall's worst nightmare comes to life after she is caught red-handed/ pranked hooking up with her best-friend's boyfriend on her last day of junior year. She starts with her final year, on a rather dull tone after being abandoned by her friends and shamed by her classmates. And as she somehow tries to hold herself and complete her senior year, she is h ...more
Sionna
*I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
2 stars

I don't exactly know how I got through this book. I was hoping for some mystery or a good girl fumbling through being a bad girl with some trusty sidekicks, but that isn't really what happens. So, I suppose me getting through it shows that it is somewhat gripping and written well.

I feel like even if I talk about the characters I'll be giving spoilers away, so let me just say I liked Simone (side character), but no
Jasmine
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

The events of this book turned much darker than I thought they would and the story was already pretty dark to start with—not quite your average high-school mystery.

Explores some really important discussion topics for teenage girls to think about: slut-shaming, rape culture, female camaraderie and stereotypes surrounding “good” and “bad” girls.

Kendall was a mean girl who believed she was good and tries to be good but ends up making some really bad choices which make everything worse. Yikes! Ha
Gogol
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This was interesting and entertaining. There were gaps but still it was ok.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Undead Girl Gang
  • The Opposite of Here
  • Dare You to Lie
  • Always Never Yours
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)
  • Hunting November (Killing November, #2)
  • Pretty in Punxsutawney
  • Like Never and Always
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
Maxine Kaplan lives in her hometown of Brooklyn, NY, where she caters to the whims of a dimwitted, but soulful cat. THE ACCIDENTAL BAD GIRL was her debut novel and WENCH is forthcoming from Abrams / Amulet Books Fall 2020. Follow Maxine on Twitter @MaxineGKaplan