Start by marking “A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Ninth Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers” as Want to Read:

When Kate L. Turabian first put her famous guidelines to paper, she could hardly have imagined the world in which today’s students would be conducting research. Yet while the ways in which we research and compose papers may have changed, the fundamentals remain the same: writers need to have a strong research question, construct an evidence-based argument, cite their sourc ...more
Published April 16th 2018 by University of Chicago Press (first published 1955)

Be the first to ask a question about A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Ninth Edition

Kathryn Carroll
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An edge of your seat, nail biting thriller!
Terri
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, researchers, college students
As a genealogist researcher, I needed to learn how to source my research citations. Very important if you are writing a genealogy piece! This book taught me how in a clear and uncomplicated style. It is updated and has been a classic source for many a research writer. Full of good sensible advice for the writer.
Craig Turnbull
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
How can you write a review about a book that tells you how to write reviews?

Here's my effort:

1. It's a fine book.
2. It will wear you out.
3. It is filled to overflowing with minutia.
4. I think my soul is emptier as a result.

I also feel an overwhelming urge to now properly cite my source:

Turabian, Kate Larimore, Wayne Clayton Booth, Gregory G Colomb, and Joseph M Williams. A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chi
David Withun
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Said AlMaskery
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultural-books
A very useful guide to research thinking. You don't need to be doing postgraduate studies in order to benefit from this book. It is equally useful to anyone seeking to write an informative and research based articles.

However it is a guide, you cant just go on and read it without implementing the ideas in it. I would probably return to it whenever I work on a paper until research methodology is ingrained as a habit.
Will Turner
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s been well over 15 years since Kate T. and I first met. Our relationship lasted about five years. It wasn’t always easy. It was actually quite rocky. There were plenty of challenges. I admit that I certainly contributed to some of the problems in our relationship. I have a hard time with conforming to authority and she proved to be a tough task master. She always demands conformity. Always. She is unflinching in her demands. Relentless. But I tend to always buck against that conformity and r ...more
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Recommended by all my Professors this semester, Turabian's book is a classic for anyone charged with writing essays in Chicago style formatting. Still, locating the text online can be more relevant in cases such as Youtube video citation or blogs which are not covered in this edition. While it seems a bit easier to hunt these instructions down online, the hardcopy is a useful tool to have in your collection. Still crossing my fingers that the academic world would just PICK ONE format and use it ...more
Kelly Belvis
I loved the reviewer who called this a "nail biting thriller'!! Hilarious! I also agreed with the reviewer who wondered why history, English, and other fields can't all use the same style. I have written papers in 4 different styles! As far as manuals go this one is much like all the others. I can't be very enthusiastic because I dislike the very precise structure of all the styles even while I understand the need for them.
Jewels
Mar 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was one of the required reading materials for my last history course, and I read it as I was working on my research paper. Frankly, I prefer the MLA format, and Turabian can take this pile of you-know-what and jump in a very deep lake with it. Preferably one with a sink hole. To the center of the earth. I hope I never have to use this book again.
Marco Bitetto
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Marco by: High School Required...
This is a must read for anyone that wants to do research reports,
thesis and dissertations. This book forms the defacto-standard
that all the other writers manuals for thesis, research papers
and dissertations follow.
Melissa
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me through my PhD dissertation. If you need a "How To Write" this is it. It has solid examples, great trouble shooting methods. I still have it and use it regularly.
Matt McCullough
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read key chapters and use others as a reference, great material!!
Brian Nicks
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this throughout seminary and found it to be a very useful tool for every paper I wrote. Wish more people would take writing this seriously.
Monica Benavides
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Excellent tool for writing papers and doing research.
Nathan Parker
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read through the ninth edition of the Turabian manual in order to complete a Graduate Research Seminar for my PhD program, although I have familiarity with Turabian 7 and 8 as well. Overall, the Turabian manual is a solid manual and research paper style for preparing academic papers, and the Turabian manual is a good abridgment of the larger Chicago Manual of Style. Every student should retain the latest editions of Turabian in their personal library, each should read through an edition of Tur ...more
Nathan Moore
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-min
Yep I actually read it. Can't say that I enjoyed it, but the 8th edition is very helpful. In seminary I used the 6th edition which lacked the very helpful Part 1: Reacher and Writing from Wayne Booth's Craft of Research. It is really excellent and covers matters of planning, style, grammar, revisions and even strategies for productivity. This is a massive improvement over previous editions.

I still hate Turabian (not Kate, I'm sure she was lovely). :)
Christa La Lista
This book is absolutely essential to citing sources correctly for Chicago/Turabian style in detail. It is much more valuable than any online version. The first ten chapters are very helpful in effectively making and defending a claim. It is well worth the read, and I wish I had read it my first year of undergrad.
Bess
Had older version for high school, new one in undergrad school, newer one for graduate school. With some exceptions, basic concepts of writing don't change a great deal over time. There are a few grammatical changes or updates over the years.
Roger
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hesitated to even count this as a book I’ve read. I did read it, aside from the strictly reference portions, as part of a graduate course in research methods. That being said, it’s pretty much strictly a reference work.
Don Barger
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book. Turabian provides examples of nearly every item you need for research and writing. I wish I could say that I did not have to read this book but it is an excellent reference tool.
Anil
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must manual for researchers, also recognized by UGC in India
Kelsey McKenna Brownfield
It's only a guide to help me write my college papers... That's truly all it is...
Lauren
Helpful informative book for those who use Chicago style.
Emma
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's be honest not a nail biting thriller, but as far as how to manuals it was very helpful and useful. I still reference it now while writing.
Krystal von Seyfried
college essential lol, idk what to say
Chris Ehrhart
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A necessary evil.
Marissa
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Very helpful when writing my undergraduate thesis. Formatting guides and other helpful information. Definitely a worthy resource!
Todd Luallen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
An excellent reference for all things related to the DETAILS of an academic paper.
Becca
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-ma, dissertation
my go-to method for citations, much more elegant than authour-date methods
Paula
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A go-to reference for any student writing research papers, defending theses, and preparing and publishing doctoral dissertations. I will keep it on my shelf forever.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Research Phobia 1 2 Jan 03, 2019 12:57AM
Writing a good dissertations and selecting final year student project topics and Materials 1 2 Aug 12, 2018 04:34PM

• MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Craft of Research (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
  • The Elements of Grammar
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives: A How-To-Do-It Manual
  • Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • From Dissertation to Book
  • 501 German Verbs
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • New Testament Commentary Survey

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Who was Kate Turabian?
Kate Larimore Turabian (1893–1987) was the graduate school dissertation secretary at the University of Chicago for nearly three decades, from 1930 to 1958. She was also the editor of official publications for the university.

She was born Laura Kate Larimore on Chicago’s South Side, where she was also raised, graduating from Hyde Park High School. A serious il
“This may be the time to address a problem that afflicts even experienced researchers and at some point will probably afflict you. As you shuffle through hundreds of notes and a dozen lines of thought, you start feeling that you’re not just spinning your wheels but spiraling down into a black hole of confusion, paralyzed by what seems to be an increasingly complex and ultimately unmanageable task. The bad news is that there’s no sure way to avoid such moments. The good news is that most of us have them and they usually pass. Yours will too if you keep moving along, following your plan, taking on small and manageable tasks instead of trying to confront the complexity of the whole project. It’s another reason to start early, to break a big project into its smallest steps, and to set achievable deadlines,” 0 likes
“use roman type and quotation marks.” 0 likes