Start by marking “Hello, Hot Dog” as Want to Read:
Hello, Hot Dog

Hello, Hot Dog

Hot Dog is relaxing on some comfy bread with a little corn and some fries when suddenly...disaster strikes! It looks like he's about to become lunch. Prepare for a laugh-out-loud picture about this little hot dog's quest for freedom. Boldly illustrated by the brilliant Jarvis, winner of Best Illustrated Book at the V&A Illustration Awards 2017, this hilarious, ...more
Published April 5th 2018 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Hello, Hot Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, Hot Dog

Start your review of Hello, Hot Dog
Mandyhello
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book I wanted and the book I needed
Mehsi
I read this one in Dutch, but will write my review in English.

So, I was quite intrigued by this book, the cover looked adorable, and I was quite curious how the hot dog would run away (then again, sentient hot dog? Eh?).

Sadly, I have to say, I wasn't much laughing or snickering. In fact I was mostly wondering how this hot dog was sentient (are there more of him/her?), was able to talk to bees (yes, really), and also able to move (well, just roll). I guess, I shouldn't think about those things,
Kelly
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple and silly story about a hot dog who is just enjoying life, hanging out in a bun.
Becky
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this so much more than I did. The illustrations make our little hot dog so stinkin loveable, I really like hot dog's escape plan... but then the ending is just eh. I think I needed hot dog to either end up in some weird hot dog haven, or have a twisted "Everyone Loves Bacon" ending. I'm sure kids will enjoy it more than I did.
Hudson Parker
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book five stars because it’s also funny.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Definitely a weird book, but it is entertaining.

A sentient hot dog discovers that he is about to be lunch and plots a way to freedom. Strange, but funny. I'll admit, this book made me a little anxious. I kept waiting for something bad to happen to the lovable hot dog. I'm usually not a huge fan of talking food for the obvious reason that it will eventually be eaten or rot away. This one is cute, but even the twisty ending makes my adult mind think
Kimberlee
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This . . . is a weird little book about a hot dog that tries to avoid being eaten at a cook out. For some reason it was slightly uncomfortable to read? The art is adorable, but the story is a bit lack luster. I can see how the silly premise would be an entertaining story time, but I can also see a child sympathizing way too much with a hot dog and refusing to eat them for eternity.

3/5 stars
Khansa Baig
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hot Dog is having a lovely snooze on a comfy bread roll when he sees a bottle of ketchup approaching and realises he’s about to become.. lunch!

A quirky tale told in a delightful conversational style with deceptively simple illustrations that convey a sense of jeopardy as well as humour. Likely to induce fits of giggling.
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I am confident that many children would enjoy this extremely silly book. As an adult, I was left wondering what exactly happens next to the hot dog. He escapes being eaten, but what now? Does he get left in the grass to decompose? Does an outdoor creature who doesn't object to mustard come and eat him up? Is he thrown away?

So many questions. So, so many.
Emily Carlyn
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pro tip: Talk to the book as you're asking the hot dog questions, then when you are hot dog answering, speak in a different voice back to your audience. It's like you are having a conversation with the hot dog and your audience is just listening in.
This is insanely silly and quite short, my 3-5s loved it.
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hot Dog tries not to be eaten, but what can he/she do with no legs?! A fun readaloud, with illustrations (pencil colored digitally) by Jarvis. Pair with "The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog" for a hot doggy storytime.
Emily Roberts
Jan 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Bad grammar. No creativity. Simply “story” about a hotdog attempting to escape being eaten. Why would you want to read this to your child? I suppose some kids may find the book funny and entertaining, but this book lacks any sort of redeeming qualities as far as I’m concerned.
Diane
Hot Dog is just lying there minding his own business. “Just chillin’ out on this comfy bread, with some corn and a couple of fries.” But when the ketchup shows up, Hot Dog knows he’s in trouble. So he tries to come up with a plan to save himself. But ... is it out of the frying pan into the fire?
Elisabeth
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the illustrations and am grateful for no onslaught of food puns that actually can start to distract from the story (Bacon and Cupcake, I'm looking at you). However, let me be frank, I didn't really relish the narrative.
Kristin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to be read with a partner, so the reader can be the human trying to eat the hot dog, and then the other person is the hot dog. You also need ketchup and mustard props and a dog puppet for the ending.
Clarissa
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love absurd picture books and this is a good one! The art is cute, and the story is simple, but funny.

Hot dog realizes he is about to be eaten, but alas he has no legs to run away, then he comes up with an escape plan...
Krysta
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is one cute hot dog. Look at those big eyes! But the ending just makes me think he's doomed.
Elizabeth Brown
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am obsessed with these illustrations: they're cute and quirky. And I love that the protagonist is a hot dog. And that there's fries.
Lindsey
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I adored the illustrations.
Paige M
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
great for picnic themed storytime
Lisa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little scary...but fine.
Garrett
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
Wendopolis
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
There's not much plot here, but it does have seriously funny illustrations. My almost 2yr old granddaughter enjoyed it. Me, after 6 times, not so much.
Lucy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
B immediately re-read this one by himself!
Serena
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, cute
A very cute picture book about a hot dog who escapes getting eaten. My favorite line in the story "Can't! Got no legs! Can't wait to read this to my daughter.
Shar
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really weird, cute, funny, and weird. Did I say weird? Yes.
Syntha Green
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Kid likes it!
Brittany
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Too cute. Who would think to animate a hot dog plotting his escape. Hilarious!
Melanie
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book!!!!!!!
SO much fun to read!!!!!!

• Niblet & Ralph
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • How To Be A Lion
  • Dude!
  • Don't Blink!
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • Truman
  • Princess Puffybottom . . . and Darryl
  • High Five
  • What If...
  • Tickle Monster
Lily grew up in the wilds of snowy nowhere, spending much of her time talking to animals and making up stories. She has continued to do this in her adult life, and now writes both fiction and non-fiction books for children. Her titles include big books about dinosaurs, rhyming books about dinosaurs and stories about escapee hot dogs. Follow Lily on Instagram and Twitter @lilymurraybooks