Start by marking “Rick Steves Scotland” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves Scotland

Rick Steves Scotland

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Whether you take the high road or the low road, with Rick Steves on your side, Scotland can be yours!

Inside Rick Steves Scotland you'll find:

Comprehensive coverage for spending a week or more exploring Scotland

Rick's strategic advice on how to get the most out of your time and money, with rankings of his must-see favorites

Top sights and hidden gems, from the wild beauty of
Published April 3rd 2018 by Rick Steves (first published April 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves Scotland

Stacy Pearson
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great guide to get oriented to Scotland. While we did a lot more than was recommended in this guide, it is such a great reference tool. I used it a lot when trying to find a place to eat or deciding on where to spend an afternoon. For this trip, his restaurant advice was right on. Who knew that food and great meals were one of the big highlights of this trip!
Barbara Bryant
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I split this into sections for each day of my upcoming Rick Steves tour, then highlighted useful tips, interesting historical notes, and must-see highlights for future reference. I feel well grounded for the tour, and open to the magic of the moment!
Gwen
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Pros: Like most Rick Steves guidebooks, this book is full of pragmatic advice, history, and practical tips for making the most of your time in Scotland. Steves explains the joys of being in Scotland (rather than just passing through). He provides an understanding the culture and the quirks that make Scotland so interesting, as well as mostly useful maps and many hiking ideas. When I read the The Rough Guide to Scotland and Lonely Planet Scotland, the early history of Scotland didn't grab me (oth ...more
Emily Wallace
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Rick Steves. I have not traveled over seas before and I read this book several times before going to Scotland. While does a great job with the cities he does cover I was excited to find that the little cities he didn't cover were equally enjoyable. I found the guide a great "overview" of Scotland. We traveled with locals so were were able to see so much more than was in the guide. It is a great starting place for planning your Scotland trip.
Robyn Chumley
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed with a nice sense of humor

In fact, this book has a nice dose of reality. Rick Steves focuses on what he’s learned travelers want to read, see, hear—and that’s exactly how he writes. He doesn’t necessarily write to entertain; instead, he writes to inform. And that’s entertainment enough. Well done, Rick!
Karen
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
The Rick Steves travel guides are always informative but the Scotland guide is exceptional. The book contains helpful bits about the usual tourist spots, hotels, restaurants, etc. What sets this guide apart are the detailed descriptions of hiking trails and nature areas. If you're traveling to Scotland, this is a great preparatory read!
Debbie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
And now I'm well-prepared for the second half of our trip!
Beth Hartnett
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick, you served us well in Scotland...especially that little local music spot in Inverness!
Bud
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this when traveling to Scotland last year, it was very helpful. Rick Steves is a solid guide in general and this book was no exception.
Marcy Berg
Provided some ideas for planning upcoming trip, but didn't cover the areas that i am planning to visit in great detail. A good overview, however.
Tammy
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been an enormous fan of Rick Steves since planning my honeymoon in Italy in 2002. I listen to his radio show via podcast and watch his TV shows. But for me, this volume is not his best. He doesn't seem to have the same level of understanding of Scotland that he does of other countries. That is not to say that he doesn't provide accurate information or make excellent recommendations - it's just that the information is not of the same depth of most of his other works. After reading this boo ...more
Taylor
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this version nearly as much as I enjoyed his Ireland edition. I agree with other reviewers where it seemed that he went more with popular opinion rather than experience. Why was Loch Ness not given 3 triangles?! The history and geology alone make it worth the trip, never mind the views and things to do in the area! I think it's a good start but I will definitely be adding my own sections!
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-books
Loved this guide. Done with a first read-through but will keep referencing and probably want to bring it along on my trip. Lots of logistics, a dose of humor, suggestions of what to see and what to skip, and easy-to-understand organization make this book a winner. It had plenty of detail, but was not overwhelming.

This was a guide you could use without needing any others.
Cheryl
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
typical Rick steves! Love his travel books, this one was no exception. we used it almost exclusively to plan, and dur8ng, our trip to Scotland last month
Brittney DeFriez
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and helpful. Not a lot of hiking/kayaking, etc. information, but a great start.
Alexandra Danovitch
Always the best travel guide. Never disappoints!
XO
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I travel to some 15 countries per year, visiting them from 1 to 3 times each year. This is the best guide book I ever read. Good luck on your trip and happy travels!
Brett
Oct 21, 2018
Kristy Parsons
Jun 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.