Start by marking “What Would Dolly Do?: How to Be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World” as Want to Read:

What Would Dolly Do?: How to Be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World

A spirited homage to Dolly Parton that captures the unique humor, no-nonsense wisdom, flash, and sass of one of America's most iconic stars.

One of twelve children raised in a shack in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Dolly Parton grew to become an international superstar famous for classic songs such as "Jolene," "9 to 5," "The Coat of Many Colors," and "I Will
Published April 24th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What Would Dolly Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would Dolly Do?

Start your review of What Would Dolly Do?: How to Be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World
Sissy's Romance Book Review
What Would Dolly Do?: How to Be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World
I am a big Fan of Ms. Dolly and had to have this book! It is such a sweet, fun informative cute book. It one you will enjoy from the first page to the last page. I want to treasure this book so I had to read it gently and hope to enjoy it for years to come!
Loved it!
Leah
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
what a sweet, giant-hearted, wonderful, remarkably talented woman. the world is better for having her in it.

More thoughts to come!
Angie
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a physical copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

Let me start my saying this is the first actual book I have read in years. Since getting my e-reader I always get e-books so this book was enjoyable on many levels. I liked that it was small enough to fit in my purse, I take whatever I'm reading with me everywhere. I will say the print was a little small for me, I'm used to being able to enlarge it on the e-reader. I have always loved Dolly and I have never read any books on her or by
Jen
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not what I anticipated - more of a forced self-help book than the light coffee table book I thought it would be. The book is in SERIOUS need of better editing, the most egregious error being a reference to Dolly’s childhood home WEST of Nashville. Also, two chapters devoted to physical appearance was off-putting. The categorizations in general felt forced, but I felt the warmth of the author for Dolly throughout.
Jessyca505
⭐️⭐️⭐️” Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” ~ Dolly
As a Dolly fan, I have to admit I have been listening to her essentials lately, after watching Dumpin' on Netflix. This is not an autobiography, but rather the author consulted many references on Dolly's life and created a "how to". It was humorous and had real life advice, but some ideas were repetitive, which is why I rated it as I did.

What would Dolly do?
1) Care about your appearance
2) Let your god light shine
3) Love who you love
4) D
Brei
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book. Perfect for a gift for any Dolly Fan in your life. Would make a great stocking stuffer.
Dionne
This year has been one of self-discovery and finding the courage to finally follow my dreams. I've found some role models who have paved the way and Dolly Parton is at the top of the list. The more I learn about her, the more I am impressed and amazed.

She has not only followed her dreams and accomplished huge things, but she has given back and done unbelievable things through her charities. She has smashed through the glass ceiling in so many ways, we could all learn so much from her life.

The au
Luanne Ollivier
What Would Dolly Do? How to Be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World is Lauren Marino's homage to Dolly Parton.

Super fan Marino draws upon Parton's stories, interviews, articles, songs, Parton's autobiographies, appearances and more to "curating and culling what I can only call the Dolly Parton philosophy as I see it."

Marino ponders 'What Would Dolly Do?" in chapters exploring happiness, style, love and marriage, money and business, home, creativity, philanthropy and many more.

I have always enjoyed Do
Emily
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly, this book disappointed me. I guess I shouldn't have judged the book by its cover, thinking it would be a playful tome about the eponymous Dolly Parton and her legacy. Instead, the book was more of a summary of Dolly's life, categorized into chapters with advice best-suited to young teenagers (e.g., a chapter on makeup and hair, a chapter on relationships with boys). In short, I found the book derivative and juvenile. It's important to note Dolly Parton had absolutely zero input into it, w ...more
Cynthia
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about this book is the illustrations. Maybe it would be more successful as a series of inspirational postcards. This book is 200+ pages of information that any Dolly Parton fan already knows by heart. Not only that, it is redundant - entire paragraphs appear multiple times throughout the book.

I received this book as a gift and I feel like I should apologize to the sweet person who spent her hard-earned money on it because she knows that I am a huge Dolly Parton fan. Save your mone
Angela Marshall
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Marino really gave Dolly Parton a lot of good kind hearted thoughts for the reader to dwell on and apply to their own life. I have never written fan mail. But after reading only to chapter ten I felt a desire to write to Dolly. I think that was due to some good writing by Lauren Marino.
Heather
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was fun, with lots of good nuggets:

Dolly has “the brains of a computer, the heart of an artist and the spirit of a minister.” - Nashville radio DJ Ralph Emery (p. 85)

Of her husband: “‘He’s my anchor and I’m his excitement.’” (p. 87)

On making her first movie 9 to 5: “‘A lot of people were saying, ‘Boy, I would l-o-o-o-v-e to see that. There ain’t no way them three bitches are gonna get along! Can you imagine three women like that?!’ And you know, we had the greatest time.’” (p. 117)

“‘Being a
Megsbookclub
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never say “ya’ll” but Ya’ll have got to check out this book, What Would Dolly Do! I thought I knew some stuff about her but this book has tons of information and knowing that she lives right down the road from me makes me smile so big!! I became an even bigger fan of hers after this quick read!
Wow Dolly is someone to really look up to. She has torn down every barrier and broken every glass ceiling and certainly has done it all her way. I mean for 50+ years she has kept her private life priva
Alison Flanagan
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read that teaches you about the wonderful life of Dolly Parton while inspiring you to take lessons from her story that you can apply to your own. The entire book was filled with biographical information while being engaging enough to keep you turning pages to learn more. Rather than the typical "life timeline" of most autobiographers (following childhood to present in the subject's life), this book has themed chapters which cover Dolly's philosophies, thoughts, views, and history on variou ...more
Sophie
Feb 12, 2020 added it
This is a fun and loving homage to Dolly, filled with great biographical bits and concise self-help summaries in each chapter. Marino uses Dolly's sage advice and famous witticisms to quilt together a succinct life guide for women (and men) who want to achieve their greatest dreams and look fabulous along the way. Marino is a wonderful writer; warm, inviting and chatty and her love and respect for Dolly is infectious. I already loved Dolly, but I finished this book with a deepened admiration for ...more
Emily
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-ideas
This book itself was a bit formulaic for me, but the content was wonderful. It has made me want to learn more about Dolly Parton and has definitely added her to the list of people I'd want to have at a dinner party.

Each chapter ends with a checklist summary of the main content points of the chapter, which is nice.

She is incredibly inspiring and does so much more than I had any idea. I'd definitely want to be her friend.

Note: This book is only 5.5 hours. I had issues with iTunes which is why it
L' Te
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
“Shes a Honky-tonk version of a Renaissance Woman.”

A sweet, endearing tribute to the indefatigable Dolly Parton. I’ve always enjoyed Dolly the musician, but as the years advanced – I became deeply respectful of Dolly the woman. A brilliant, forthright individual that anyone would do well to try and follow suit. Clearly possessed of a tender spirit, Dolly is the embodiment of loving-kindness and mindfulness. Her poignant legacy on living a life that is large, genuine, profound and flat out big-h
Maria
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting how Lauren took information, tidbits and biographical information about Dolly and put it into a book that feels like Dolly contributed to it while also serving as a fan written book full of Dolly's wisdom, quotes, personality, and life lessons making it totally relatable to the reader.

I totally loved reading about Dolly's philosophy on life, marriage, relationships, success and family.

If you love Dolly, you will love this book.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I'm not a country music fan, and didn't know much about Dolly Parton when I started this book. Reading this book taught me so much about this amazing person! I have so much respect for Dolly Parton and her good works now. I liked the way the book was divided, though it did make for a little bit of repetition from section to section. The illustrations and graphic design of this book are delightful. Overall this book was an unexpected treat. ...more
Amz
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her so much. I was less excited about this book because it is a biography rather than an audio biography. However, I learned more about her through an outsider’s perspective, who shared things Dolly wouldn’t necessarily deem unique or particularly newsworthy about her journey. A cute and uplifting little book. Helps with slowing down and appreciating the beautiful elements of each of our lives, while developing patience and resolve to handle the yuckier stuff.
Michael
Full of information and fun facts. All the material in such way that it is entertaining and insightful. Learned a lot of things I did not know about Dolly. This book was a fun and relaxing read. You can take away many life improving/life changing things form this book. I won this book in a GoodReads Giveaway.
Emily Rogers
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE Dolly Parton! I found out about this book and I wanted to read it immediately. I finished it in five days (faster readers can probably finish it in less, but I like to somewhat take my time). This book has a lot of practical applications. It can come across as a little hoaky, but I find most of the chapters really enjoyable.
Molly
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part self-help book, part homage to Dolly Parton, this was an interesting look at Dolly’s idea and philosophies that the author believes has made the country star so successful. Dolly is quite admirable and this was a quick easy read (listen), but I found it a little repetitive and surface-y at times. Overall I enjoyed it - 3.5 stars
Alycia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I never thought I would ever want to go to Dollywood but after reading this book, I am ready for season tickets. Dolly is the hardest working person in show business and I really enjoyed learning more about her. I had no idea she was that short or that bawdy. I hope she is with us for a lot longer.
Sunnee
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Full of anecdotes and advice, and the voice is written sounding full of admiration without fawning. I really appreciate the list of sources at the end. Dolly is wonderful and an excellent role model. This fueled my appreciation for her.
Carmen Brown
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not much of a country music fan, but I've always liked Dolly Parton as a person, and this book gave me a lot of insight into how she built her career, her outlook on life, etc. Any fan of Dolly should read this! ...more
Christina
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an inspiring read. I’ve always loved Dolly because we share a birthday. As she ages so gracefully she especially inspires me to do the same and never stop doing what I love.
Patricia Atkinson
it was a book written from other dolly books but in different catagories okay if you have not read any of her other books but if you have you have read it all before
Giovanna Forsyth
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OH Dolly.
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous and inspiring book. Illustrations and stories to make you smile from cover to cover.

• She Come By It Natural: Dolly Parton and the Women Who Lived Her Songs
  • The Faith of Dolly Parton: Lessons from Her Life to Lift Your Heart
  • The Opposite of Maybe
  • You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington
  • Number Neighbors
  • What You Wish For
  • Falling for My Enemy (Dirty Martini Running Club #2)
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI