Start by marking “I Really Want to See You, Grandma” as Want to Read:
I Really Want to See You, Grandma

I Really Want to See You, Grandma

Yumi and her grandmother have the same great idea: They want to see each other. So they each head out to do just that, only to completely miss each other along the way! No problem—they'll just head back home and wait for the other to return. The trouble is that they have the same great idea—again—resulting in the ultimate missed connection! Will this duo ever find each oth ...more
Published April 3rd 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about I Really Want to See You, Grandma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Really Want to See You, Grandma

Becky
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I was going to care for this, but it totally stole my heart. The situation is loving and silly, and both of them angrily scooting to reach each other at the end genuinely made me lol. Gave me a serious case of missing my grandma.
KC
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Granddaughter and grandmother trying to visit each other!
Syntha Green
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to figure out when I can use this in a storytime.
Danielle
Feb 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun one about missing each other, and then literally missing each other en route. I always adore Taro Gomi's artwork and stories with a playful spirit.
Emily
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Barbara
This is an amusing picture book that reminds readers of all those missed possibilities and how sometimes great minds might think alike, but they still might land in the right places. Yumi and her grandmother live far apart but close enough to travel to each other's homes in a timely fashion. Yumi is determined to visit her grandmother who has the same idea, and each one sets off for a visit. But despite their good intentions, they just keep missing each other. Eventually, they arrive at the same ...more
Laurie
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 1.4

@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

What do you do when you really, really, really want to see your Grandma? You stop what you are doing and rush to her house, of course. But wait! What if your Grandma really, really, really wants to see you? She stops what she is doing and rushes to your house, of course! But what happens when you and Grandma really, really, really want t
Stephanie Bange
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yumi and her grandmother want to see each other so much that they take different modes of transportation to get to the other's house, passing each other on the way to their destination until they finally collide midway between.

I found it odd that the two did not communicate (telephone?) before heading out so the other could expect to expect a visitor. I chalked it up to just keeping the story simple and not to worry the reader.

Originally published in Japan in 1979, it is now available in English
Jana
This is a sweet picture book that tells the story of a grandmother and granddaughter who miss each other in more ways than one. Grandmother wants to see her granddaughter and vice versa, so they each set off from their homes to pay a visit. Unfortunately, they miss each other several times as they go back and forth to catch up. This could be a good way to talk about conflict and resolution and making predictions. This book was originally published in Japan in 1979, before everyone started walkin ...more
Kelsey
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Horn Book Best Books 2018 - Picture Books

Yumi and Grandma live far away. One day they both decide to go as the other. Whether traveling by train, bus, car or taxi, Grandma and Yumi keep missing each other. Finally, when traveling by motorcycle and scooter, they get to see each other. This picture book is not something remarkable in either plot or illustration. However the story is pleasingly simple, humorous, relatable and great to introduce vehicle vocabulary with young readers.

Recommended for
Robin
This is a book from Horn book Fanfare. The illustrations are simple and sweet but still show the emotions of the main characters clearly, Yumi and her Grandma. They both set out wanting to visit one another but miss each other. The book holds suspense as the pages turn. They both look mad and determined when they finally try getting to one another on a scooter and a motorbike. They finally decide that next time they will meet under a certain tree. This book is adorable and clearly transmits the ...more
Erika L.
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet story about Yumi and her grandma. They live far away from each other, but they do their best to see each other when they can. The letter of the day was G, so this book fit our theme perfectly! We have a lot of grandparents at our Toddler Storytime, so many of our kids and grandparents could relate to it. There were a lot of worried kiddos in the audience! They were so scared that Yumi and Grandma would keep missing each other. There were many sighs of relief (from the grandp ...more
Lauren
I love this book -- a very simple but engaging comedy of errors about a grandma and grandkid's bond. Funny and touching, easy to follow narrative for even young preschoolers. Really feeling the jewel tone color palate. The only thing that is a little weird is Yumi (the kiddo) "taking a truck" back home, with a driver she ostensibly doesn't know? Maybe it's a non-issue, but it might come up as a conversation, especially in one-on-one reading?
Heidi-Marie
Needed ideas for picture books and pulled some from the Picture Book long list. This was picked for family bedtime story. I was sure this would be some story of how a child deals with missing their grandparent, which would be something to help SD and SS. But it wasn't that at all! This was really cute and we all enjoyed the story, the mishaps, and the vehicles. Though Hubby still commented that a phone would make this all better, even with the tree solution. Great pictures!
Bonnie Grover
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book-all opinions are my own. Yumi and her grandmother really want to see each other. Throughout the book they use different modes of transportation and seem to always to miss each other. Students will be able to relate to the missed opportunities. I loved the predictable aspect of this story. Taro Gomi has a way of making a simple story beautiful through her artwork and her way with words.
Desiree
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yumi really wants to see her grandmother and her grandmother really wants to see her! They take multiple forms of transportation to try and get to each other. What follows is a story of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This story is gorgeously illustrated with vibrant colors and sparse text that really helps move the story along. Great book for one on one reading for grandparents!
Janet
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yumi really wants to see her Grandmother and Grandmother really wants to see Yumi. Yumi leaves the town and Grandmother leaves the country and a journey of surprises each one has before finding each other.
Destinee Sutton
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is so clever. When sharing this with preschoolers, it's fun to talk about the different meanings of the word "miss." When we miss someone, we want to see them. But sometimes when you try to see someone you miss them!
Cara Byrne
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Yumi and Grandma really want to see each other - but they keep missing each other! The title instantly captured the attention of my preschooler who is constantly missing her grandmothers. A good, quick read.
Jensen Kniska
I Really Want To See You, Grandma is about a young girl named Yumi and her grandmother and they want to spend time with each other. They meet each other in the middle. The pictures in the book are painted with watercolor paints. The recommended age range for this book is three to five.
Kelly Carey
I really enjoyed this funny book about a grandmother and grandchild just missing each other.

I did get confused when they each turned up at the other's home -- why did the scream? I thought the houses were being robbed :)
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Family: Grandma and granddaughter

Both Grandma and Yumi set out one day to see the other--but continue to miss each other in the process. Happiness abounds in the final reunion under a tree halfway between the two houses.
Patricia
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I liked the general concept behind the story and the illustrations, but I wondered why there was no means of communication between Yumi and her Grandmother in order for them to discuss a plan to meet. haha Maybe if the book had been more old-fashioned it wouldn't have bothered me.
Ita
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-picture
Grandma and Yumi want to see each other but pass each other by as they each go to visit the other. They finally meet and agree it is a good spot to meet at in the future. Clear pictures, good white space. 3 - 5 yr olds.
Mariah Aivazis
I Really Want to See You Grandma is an adorable story that incorporates a lot of repetition, which is great for young learners. It is a very simple book about a little girl Yumi, who wants to see her Grandma. This would be a really cute story for a Grandma to read to her grandchild.
Vicki
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The grandma and grand daughter really miss each and they keep "missing" each other by taking different modes of transportation to try to see each other.

They finally resolve the issue by deciding by meeting under a tree halfway from where they both live.

A refreshing story about relatives.
Kim
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing. A bit sentimental. I don’t usually like sentimentalism. My Nana is dying though and I really want to see her. But we live on different continents.
Unremarkable save my personal state at present.
Ms. Shoshana
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grandparents
Grandma and Yumi want to see each other, but they keep missing each other! Finally, they decide it's probably best to meet in the middle. A sweet book about the bond between grandparent and grandchild with vibrant, colorful illustrations.
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Oh, man. I wish I could see my grandma again :( Sweet and simple.
Kelly
Yumi really wants to see her Grandma, and Grandma really wants to see Yumi!
« previous 1 3 next »
Taro Gomi is a major children’s illustrator and writer. He has more than 400 book titles to his credit. His work has been widely translated into 15 other languages.

Tarō was born in Tokyo and he graduated from ID department, Kuwazawa Design Institute. His readers range from babies to adults, with an equal number of fans overseas. His work has been appreciated considerably with both domestic and int