Start by marking “I Really Want to See You, Grandma” as Want to Read:
I Really Want to See You, Grandma

I Really Want to See You, Grandma

Yumi and her grandmother have the same great idea: They want to see each other. So they each head out to do just that, only to completely miss each other along the way! No problem—they'll just head back home and wait for the other to return. The trouble is that they have the same great idea—again—resulting in the ultimate missed connection! Will this duo ever find each oth ...more
Published April 3rd 2018 by Chronicle Books (first published August 1979)

To ask other readers questions about I Really Want to See You, Grandma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Really Want to See You, Grandma

Start your review of I Really Want to See You, Grandma
Becky
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I was going to care for this, but it totally stole my heart. The situation is loving and silly, and both of them angrily scooting to reach each other at the end genuinely made me lol. Gave me a serious case of missing my grandma.
KC
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Granddaughter and grandmother trying to visit each other!
Syntha Green
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to figure out when I can use this in a storytime.
Pam
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a charming book that hits just the right tone for a Grandma and a granddaughter who go to great lengths to see each other. Totally fun!
YOONJIN HAN
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a story that a girl and her grandmother go trip to meet together, but they miss each other on the way. It illustrates different types of transportation which can be used for read-aloud activity with a whole-group discussion. It also includes repetitive words and phrases, and therefore a teacher can use this book for guided-reading activity and reading fluency assessment with English learners.
Danielle
Feb 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun one about missing each other, and then literally missing each other en route. I always adore Taro Gomi's artwork and stories with a playful spirit.
Barbara
This is an amusing picture book that reminds readers of all those missed possibilities and how sometimes great minds might think alike, but they still might land in the right places. Yumi and her grandmother live far apart but close enough to travel to each other's homes in a timely fashion. Yumi is determined to visit her grandmother who has the same idea, and each one sets off for a visit. But despite their good intentions, they just keep missing each other. Eventually, they arrive at the same ...more
Laurie
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 1.4

@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

What do you do when you really, really, really want to see your Grandma? You stop what you are doing and rush to her house, of course. But wait! What if your Grandma really, really, really wants to see you? She stops what she is doing and rushes to your house, of course! But what happens when you and Grandma really, really, really want t
Carly Campbell
This is such a cute and funny story of a girl and her grandmother wanting to see each other one day. The little girl wants to go see her grandma, so she leaves to go visit her, and they unknowingly passed each other on the way to each other's house to visit. It's an easy read and made me laugh. I think that it would make any child that reads this story laugh. I also liked that they had the characters be a different ethnicity than most children's books. It helps show children that they have simil ...more
Stephanie Bange
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yumi and her grandmother want to see each other so much that they take different modes of transportation to get to the other's house, passing each other on the way to their destination until they finally collide midway between.

I found it odd that the two did not communicate (telephone?) before heading out so the other could expect to expect a visitor. I chalked it up to just keeping the story simple and not to worry the reader.

Originally published in Japan in 1979, it is now available in English
Jana
This is a sweet picture book that tells the story of a grandmother and granddaughter who miss each other in more ways than one. Grandmother wants to see her granddaughter and vice versa, so they each set off from their homes to pay a visit. Unfortunately, they miss each other several times as they go back and forth to catch up. This could be a good way to talk about conflict and resolution and making predictions. This book was originally published in Japan in 1979, before everyone started walkin ...more
Erika L.
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet story about Yumi and her grandma. They live far away from each other, but they do their best to see each other when they can. The letter of the day was G, so this book fit our theme perfectly! We have a lot of grandparents at our Toddler Storytime, so many of our kids and grandparents could relate to it. There were a lot of worried kiddos in the audience! They were so scared that Yumi and Grandma would keep missing each other. There were many sighs of relief (from the grandp ...more
Robin
This is a book from Horn book Fanfare. The illustrations are simple and sweet but still show the emotions of the main characters clearly, Yumi and her Grandma. They both set out wanting to visit one another but miss each other. The book holds suspense as the pages turn. They both look mad and determined when they finally try getting to one another on a scooter and a motorbike. They finally decide that next time they will meet under a certain tree. This book is adorable and clearly transmits the ...more
Bonnie Grover
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book-all opinions are my own. Yumi and her grandmother really want to see each other. Throughout the book they use different modes of transportation and seem to always to miss each other. Students will be able to relate to the missed opportunities. I loved the predictable aspect of this story. Taro Gomi has a way of making a simple story beautiful through her artwork and her way with words.
Lauren
I love this book -- a very simple but engaging comedy of errors about a grandma and grandkid's bond. Funny and touching, easy to follow narrative for even young preschoolers. Really feeling the jewel tone color palate. The only thing that is a little weird is Yumi (the kiddo) "taking a truck" back home, with a driver she ostensibly doesn't know? Maybe it's a non-issue, but it might come up as a conversation, especially in one-on-one reading?
Heidi-Marie
Needed ideas for picture books and pulled some from the Picture Book long list. This was picked for family bedtime story. I was sure this would be some story of how a child deals with missing their grandparent, which would be something to help SD and SS. But it wasn't that at all! This was really cute and we all enjoyed the story, the mishaps, and the vehicles. Though Hubby still commented that a phone would make this all better, even with the tree solution. Great pictures!
Micheline
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this book on:

It is about the love and strong connection between a girl and her grandma. They feel they need to see each other on the same day, but things happen that prevent them from meeting.
It is definitely indicated for very young children (ps-1).
Nice illustrations, simple short sentences, simple vocabulary, appropriate for young children.
Mary
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yumi and Grandma both decide to go visit the other and have a series of missed encounters. A heartfelt picture book that tells a loving story with gentle humor. They travel by bus, train, truck, taxi, scooter, and motorcycle until they are eventually successful. I especially loved Grandma's determined facial express while on the motorcyle shouting "I want to see Yumi NOW!" A wonderful story that grandparents everywhere will enjoy sharing.
Desiree
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yumi really wants to see her grandmother and her grandmother really wants to see her! They take multiple forms of transportation to try and get to each other. What follows is a story of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This story is gorgeously illustrated with vibrant colors and sparse text that really helps move the story along. Great book for one on one reading for grandparents!
Sara Sandora
The book starts off by showing the distance between the main character and her grandma. Conflict arises when they both leave at the same time to see each other, but they miss each other on the way. To end they finally meet up at a tree. This is a fun little book for you children, but it is not very educational.
FM Family
This was a short, fun and funny story of Yumi and her Grandma who just keep missing eachother but really want to hang out. My 2.5 year old loved it and enjoyed reading it with her grandma as well. Cute, and repetitive like most Taro Gomi stories, but works much better than some, like the Crocodile and the Dentist. Definitely a fun read!
Vicki
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The grandma and grand daughter really miss each and they keep "missing" each other by taking different modes of transportation to try to see each other.

They finally resolve the issue by deciding by meeting under a tree halfway from where they both live.

A refreshing story about relatives.
Kelly Carey
I really enjoyed this funny book about a grandmother and grandchild just missing each other.

I did get confused when they each turned up at the other's home -- why did the scream? I thought the houses were being robbed :)
Ms. Shoshana
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grandparents
Grandma and Yumi want to see each other, but they keep missing each other! Finally, they decide it's probably best to meet in the middle. A sweet book about the bond between grandparent and grandchild with vibrant, colorful illustrations.
Ita
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-picture
Grandma and Yumi want to see each other but pass each other by as they each go to visit the other. They finally meet and agree it is a good spot to meet at in the future. Clear pictures, good white space. 3 - 5 yr olds.
Kim
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing. A bit sentimental. I don’t usually like sentimentalism. My Nana is dying though and I really want to see her. But we live on different continents.
Unremarkable save my personal state at present.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Family: Grandma and granddaughter

Both Grandma and Yumi set out one day to see the other--but continue to miss each other in the process. Happiness abounds in the final reunion under a tree halfway between the two houses.
Destinee Sutton
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is so clever. When sharing this with preschoolers, it's fun to talk about the different meanings of the word "miss." When we miss someone, we want to see them. But sometimes when you try to see someone you miss them!
Cara Byrne
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Yumi and Grandma really want to see each other - but they keep missing each other! The title instantly captured the attention of my preschooler who is constantly missing her grandmothers. A good, quick read.
Patricia
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I liked the general concept behind the story and the illustrations, but I wondered why there was no means of communication between Yumi and her Grandmother in order for them to discuss a plan to meet. haha Maybe if the book had been more old-fashioned it wouldn't have bothered me.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Old Truck
  • Saturday
  • Here and Now
  • Birdsong
Taro Gomi (五味太郎) is a major children’s illustrator and writer. He has more than 400 book titles to his credit. His work has been widely translated into 15 other languages.

Tarō was born in Tokyo and he graduated from ID department, Kuwazawa Design Institute. His readers range from babies to adults, with an equal number of fans overseas. His work has been appreciated considerably with both domestic