Start by marking “America, Vol. 2: Fast and Fuertona” as Want to Read:
America, Vol. 2: Fast and Fuertona

America, Vol. 2: Fast and Fuertona

(America (Collected Editions) #2)

It begins with the story you’ve been waiting for: the origin of America Chavez! But everyone’s favorite no-nonsense powerhouse soon meets her match — in the form of the deadly and exotic Exterminatrix! Can America stand against this vile villainess, backed by the full power of the ominous Midas Corporation? America gains all-new but untested abilities — and she’ll need the ...more
Published April 24th 2018 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about America, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America, Vol. 2

Start your review of America, Vol. 2: Fast and Fuertona
Paul E. Morph
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book left me feeling like it was trying too hard to be on trend. It was a little incoherent in places; it felt like superhero comics for the Twitter generation. I'm probably not the target audience, though; as a 42 year old, it made me feel oooooollllld.

Still, I can't give it less than three stars, as the artwork, for the most part, was gorgeous... and I do like the character.
Wing Kee
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
An incomprehensible poorly written blob of a book.

World: The art is fine, it’s the best thing in the series and it’s colourful and bright and the characters are full of personality. That being said the art is also very weak overall because the story is incomprehensible and things happen on screen that are so choppy that the art itself is also choppy and does the story no favours. I’ve read books where the art helps the writer express what he/she can’t write well but that’s not the case here the
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this even more than the first one! I really felt like I got a better sense of the world, and I liked seeing America grow from volume 1 to 2. Wish this was ongoing.
Sana
'Never met a fight I couldn't win.'

All in all, I think this series achieved what it set out to achieve which was to shine a light on America's unknown backstory after she left the Utopian Parallel at age 6 and make her aware of her roots. I LOVED the idea of Berraca and Sanar, two cosmic entities creating a planet together full of women. Really, it's like Themyscira in space Marvel styles. However, the whole thing with the La Légion ended up being quite unbelievable and unrealistic. (view spoile
Greyson | Use Your Words
Aug 17, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: all-ntbr
America Series Ratings:
America, Vol. 1: ★★★
America, Vol. 2: Lost Interest in Series
__
I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as possible to take advantage of my great local library network before I move interstate! To follow my binge reading adventure just visit my 2018 Library Love shelf! I'll also be posting about it in my monthly wrap ups on my blog

I keep trying with Marvel and DC and it just never lives up to my expectations. I think some
Alex Sarll
At its best, this is a joy. As in the first issues here, where America gets to bond with the grandmother she never knew, hearing stories of her mothers and of their world before them - especially its lesbian creation myth, which is pretty much Steven Universe minus the infuriating title character, and thus awesome. Elsewhere, it still feels a little too prone to letting the joy of affirmation overtake the story - and I know I'm very much not the target demographic here, but I find that sort of t ...more
Mitchell
Basically nonsensical but not unreadable. I liked bits of this book and the character and the setting has potential. But so much of it was just surface coolness. The relationship between America and her grandmother worked pretty well. And I liked the university. But I'd want a better idea on what the university is about and how it relates to the wider Marvel Universe. This book was basically a multi-plane space book - which usually puts me to sleep - so better than that.
Paul Greer
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
R C
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the colorful characters created in this Marvel multiverse. America is bold, as it's the writer/creator of her story. I hope her story can be expanded even more in the future, beyond the two volumes available now.
Rod Brown
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story's heart is in the right place, but the plotting is just too loopy and jumbled for me. America is a genuinely great character, and I look forward to seeing her return in the future.
Lulu (the library leopard)
So much improvement over volume one! (Which is already enjoyable, so that's saying something.) I loved getting learn more about America's past and I'm sad so see this series end.
Tyler Kroon
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 stars for the story, bumped up to 4 for freshness and for the gorgeous illustrations.
Jess
Gabby Rivera does amazing words.
Heatherblakely
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, lgbtq
I read issues 8 through 12 all at once, because they were kind of confusing and too convoluted to review individually. But America is my favorite and this gets political, so 3.5, rounding up.

Issue 7: Jen Bartel's art in this is BEAUTIFUL. She's the perfect artist to have done this beginning section about the universe/planet (love the queerness, also).

"Sometimes, when their absense becomes hard to bear, I remind myself that my daughter and her wife, your mothers, exist in every particle3 of the
Karla Villanueva
Read july 2018: 4.5ish stars. I appreciated everything this volume— this series— set out to do. I love America, love her backstory, and can’t wait for her future. Thank you Gabby Rivera for giving us this amazing fuertona.

Pre-read: Haven’t read this yet but have to offset the fucker who preemptively gave it one star?? Quién te crees??
William Notte
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This volume collects issues 7 through 12 of the comic book series and I can break this review down to the good, the bad, and the sad.

The Good: This volume picks up where the previous one left off (I would definitely recommend reading that first) and contains two plot arcs. The first, which picks up from key events in the last book, is dramatic and fun: a rushing, whomping adventure tale. It features the hero trying to save her adopted home and a villain that really gets under one’s skin. I had t
Liz (Quirky Cat)
The second volume of America is out, and even though I didn’t love the last volume I knew I had to give this one a try anywhere. America just has so much potential, and what I felt the first volume really lacked was a solid and longer term plot. I waffled a little bit on giving this one a try, when the time came, but the artwork ended up selling me (again).
I will say that volume two does in fact have a more solid plot for most of the volume, so that’s a refreshing change from the first (which
John
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
So, Miss America Chavez is one of my favorite characters of the past decade--as she's starred in three of my favorite Marvel works (all of whom tend to be a bit idiosyncratic of the writer/artist team).

These include;

1.) Vengeance (by Joe Casey and Nick Dragotta (East of West))
2.) Young Avengers (by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)
3.) Ultimates^2 (by Al Ewing and Travel Foreman)

I've unfotunatley not read "A-Team". But in each team book Miss Chavez is the team badass and "heavy" and often the De
Luana
This was a story with vibrant graphics and a plotline that balanced a situation where America Chavez and her worlds are believably imperilled, to the point of sustained tenseness and explosions of desperate action, with room for some origin exploration and an emotional journey of discovery as America connects with lost family in the form of her abuela - as well as exploring the connections she has to her found family.

In terms of plot and character development this is a graphic novel that would b
Dan Barker
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I know this comic may confuse some readers, since Rivera used a lot of current slang and cultural references, but it was fun, action packed and filled in the gaps for America. It helps if you've read The Dandelion Insurrection, which is quite timely right now, but Google things that you don't know right off - like LeeluMultipass, which is from the movie Fifth Element. The art is a bit cartoony, but most of the Marvel comics from its time period were, too - can't escape that. Although it w
Nicole
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
These last few issues feel really rushed. I despise seeing Exterminatrix or being reminded she exists. In the letter afterward, the author says she didn't know much about America coming into the project, and it really feels like that. Things aren't consistent with her powers or history, and the whole thing with Planet Fuertona is a major shakeup for the character with lots of ramifications that should be explored, and it feels like this series wasn't prepared to give that the time it fully neede ...more
Shelley
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A return to Sotomayor University, which has been taken over by Fascist Barbie, and finally learning America's backstory. Jen Bartel should do ALL the art for this series, because she's amazing and her style suits it so well. But her use for America's home planet creation and creators was perfect. This was fairly on the nose in terms of youth, especially those of color, rising up against regimes using all sorts of manipulations (curfews and "safety" restrictions, etc) and trying to turn students ...more
Rivera ends her tenure on America Chavez’s character with two warring groups reconciling and talking through many misunderstandings. Overall, volume 2 continues the trend of the first volume with splashy and obvious parallels and conclusions. For example, FIST as a parallel to ICE and the villainess espousing stereotypical assumptions of the wealthy .1% class. While the colors are gorgeous in the opening issues, these opening issues which focused on America’s origin could’ve been better placed i ...more
Juan Ferrer
Mar 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
So I decided to finish all the solo run of América. Even though the second volume is far better than the first one, this volume is still a complete mess. If this run had focused on América and her search for meaning, family and heritage this would have been a very nice run. It had the elements but the writer never found the right story to tell.

I trully hope to see América or any other non-binary non-white figure to lead a comic book run.

Worst part: Wtf with the “Planeta Fuertona”. Worst planet n
Williesun
America is such a great character and I enjoyed her first solo run immensely. In this issue, she learns more about her past which I think is always a plus. She also meets her grandmother. And damn am I a sucker for grandmother-stories.

At times the story jumps around a bit too much, especially with the Midas stuff but oh well. I could watch her punch star portals all day.

All in all am I a bit sad knowing this is was a two part solo run and I won't get more of her story in this form. Because damn
Simon
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
And all the human softness that made the first volume better than it seemed is immediately stripped away for several issues of incessant action and political metaphors. Now, don't get me wrong, there's still humanism in all of this but it starts to feel much less personal and the frequent changes in art (though often giving the reader a chance to enjoy the amazing Annie Wu) are not helping. A downgrade from the first volume and not the highest note to go out on but still, this is just your basic ...more
Erik
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a rare occasion I actually read a Marvel or DC comic. Not big on superheroes. America was for me and I am sad to see it go. I didn't find out about it in time to subscribe and since I returned to comics in my mid-adulthood, it's one of only two superhero comics I read.

It had the potential to embody all stories of so many people. In it's two volumes it did a good job at trying to tell new stories about people whose journey is outside the scripted, boring 12 Step journey so oft repeated.

Oh
David Brooke
I wanted to like this book for what it stands for and what it is trying to do, but I had a hard time with the quality of writing and some of the art too.

That's why I had to write, 3 Reasons Why: ‘America Vol. 2’ proves why it had to go — but isn’t without its merits:

Riah
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This volume was a little all over the place, but I liked it anyways. I thought the backstory of Planeta Fuertona was sweet and the energy of the characters made up for some of the jumpy plotting. It's probably a three and a half star book for me, but it gets rounded up because I genuinely appreciate the diversity, because it's so rare to see a comic in which the default character type is a Latina lesbian.
B
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Wow. Fantastic.

A near-perfect blend of traditional superhero storytelling and a spin on that based on new and diverse viewpoints and touchstones

For me, the only downsides are (1) the desire to wrap up the giant cosmic origin story so quickly and (2) the perplexing focus on characters' births/lineage, as though America and the head of the sorority are important characters because of the circumstances of their birth rather than the qualities of their character.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Vol. 4
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • Gwenpool, the Unbelievable, Vol. 5: Lost in the Plot
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Let Them Eat Cake
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 2: Agents of G.I.R.L.
Gabby Rivera is a writer, youth mentor, and editor of QTPOC content for Autostraddle.com. Her short stories and poems have been published in various anthologies and journals such as Aster(ix) , and the the Lambda-Award-winning Portland Queer: Tales from the Rose City, OMG I’m Gay, a ‘zine for queer youth, and The Best of Panic! En Vivo from the East Village.

Gabby is the Youth Programs Manager at G

America (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez