Start by marking “The Creativity Project: An Awesometastic Story Collection” as Want to Read:
The Creativity Project: An Awesometastic Story Collection

The Creativity Project: An Awesometastic Story Collection

Book advocate Colby Sharp presents more than forty beloved, award-winning, diverse and bestselling authors and illustrators in a creative challenge!
Colby Sharp invited more than forty authors and illustrators to provide story starters for each other; photos, drawings, poems, prose, or anything they could dream up. When they received their prompts, they responded by transf
Published March 13th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Creativity Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creativity Project

Colby Sharp
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2018, anthology
I sort of helped write and edit this book, so I'm super bias.

I am proud of the book, and I think it will add value to the lives of young readers.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what people think, and seeing how they use it with young readers.
Scope
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
AS A CONTRIBUTOR TO THE CREATIVITY PROJECT, I AM COMPLETELY UNBIASED IN GIVING IT A FIVE-STAR REVIEW (But it is awesome).
Amber
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! All writing teachers need this book. There are so many creative writing prompts that you can use in the classroom - and all from authors your kids will recognize. I cannot wait to get my own finished copy to add to my arsenal for teaching creative writing.
Baige Bell
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic resource for English teachers--it is filled with prompts and responses that are phenomenal for teaching both reading and writing to students of all ages.

This book is also fantastic for non teachers because it's funny, sweet, creative, and just an absolute pleasure to read.

10/10 would recommend to any reader of any age and occupation!
Mary Lee
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesometastic. There's no other word adequate enough to describe this book, so I'll use Colby's!

The prompts were equal parts inspiring and mind-boggling. I mean, that song Jenni Holm had to write! Cray-cray!

My heart was so happy when I got to the end and saw all the prompts with no responses, because honestly, I wasn't sure how I'd tackle a response after reading what someone else did, especially when "someone else" was 44 of my favorite and/or well-known authors!
Beth
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I laughed. I cried. I totally enjoyed every minute of this book! It is a must have book, especially for teachers and writers. What an awesome concept for a book!!! I will be purchasing a copy for my writer's group to help inspire them even more. I will probably be purchasing a copy for myself too. Yeah! It is that good!!!
Paul  Hankins
I've saved the reading of this one for spring break so that I could really look inside of the book and the ideas presented.

Colby Sharp is a friend and one of the many good things that are coming out of the state of Michigan when it comes to educational approaches and strategies.

Here, Colby solicits the help of some of today's most recognizable figures in children's and middle grade and young adult poetry, literature, and illustration. As the title suggests this is generative creativity born of
Karen Stanton
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. What a great concept! The basic gist? Colby sent out a request for children's authors to create prompts and then distributed those prompts among the authors- and then published the prompts and responses side by side.
I am thinking of becoming a classroom teacher again just so that I can use these ideas! Each prompt has endless opportunity for response, the responses cross over many genres, the idea itself could be used to create a "creativity project" on campuses or between camp
Kris
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this. I've been in a re-reading and romance RUT, and this got me out of it.

Many of these stories and prompts were STUNNING. (They were uneven, but I've never read a set of short stories where that wasn't so. Also - their very variety will attract a variety of students/writers/artists/creators). BUT anyone brave enough to contribute a prompt or response to this book deserves my respect. And any book I read in a single day? It rocked. It made me write, too! It woke up my brain. Thanks
Glenda
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
For creative writing teachers, The Creativity Project” offers a plethora of ideas from many of the most popular kid-lit authors whose books students love. Thus it offers insight into the minds of working writers and their processes.

My favorite sections are prompts that promote poetry, such as Naomi Shihab Nye’s conversation w/ the sea in page 71, and sections that offer opportunities for expository writing, such as Tom
Angle Berger’s “The Worst Thing I Ever Smelled.”

It’s also fun to see how pro
Michelle Simpson
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the format of the book and was excited to see who was responding to whose prompt. It really is a unique creation that projects a feeling of friendship among the contributors.
Lesley Burnap
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book for all the friends it holds inside. #nerdybookclub #nErDcampMI Fantastic writing/illustrating prompts for ALL!
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I opened The Creativity Project by Colby Sharp and fell in love immediately with the structure of this amazing text. I’m sure I’ll read this one quickly again, and later slow down and really ponder the wonder of this amazing project. Colby Sharp, a 5th grade teacher, asked several authors to supply creative writing prompts for each other, then sent packages to authors with the prompts, asking each to share their writing/creating process. He wanted to share (with his elementary school students) h ...more
Can I rate this book with 10 stars? This is such an outstanding book for teachers, parents, and students. I have so many ideas to bring this to my students to increase their creativity muscles. We are going to start with using the book and then we will branch out to other prompts, to creating prompts and possibly even to compiling our own version of the book.
Jessica
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncte17
Every teacher should have a copy of this book!
Snazzy Reads
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing idea. So many of my favorite authors are in here, AND it gave me writing ideas. I can't wait to share this book with my teacher.
Tamara
My students and I are enthralled with The Creativity Project. It truly is an “awesometastic” resource for inspiring creativity in your writers. Highly recommend.
LunaLovegood
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jordan Henrichs
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most fun part of this, is trying a few of the prompts yourself, or having your students try, and then reading what direction some of your favorite authors took it. Some of my students marveled at just how talented and creative some writers can be (Lemony Snicket's response to Kate DiCamillo was a favorite) and some students felt like they were more creative than some of their favorite authors. Which was inspiring!
Amanda  Schreiber
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book needed to inspire middle grade readers & writers! I devoured this book over the summer! The writing prompts, pictures & short stories are a must for any classroom. An innovate idea & format. Do yourself a favor and buy a copy (or two) fir your classroom!
Sandy
I thought this book was interesting. It is filled with writing prompts and then, responses to these writing prompts. From pictures to texts, these writing prompts were all over the place for they had great variety. I really enjoyed the prompts and the responses were okay. Many of the responses felt off for me, and I just didn’t care for them. There were a few that I really enjoyed and they were very creative. The book is about promoting creativity and that they did.
I really liked the idea behin
Rachel
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book to prepare for a workshop I'll be attending in two weeks where this book will be featured during one of the presentations. Holy smokes, am I glad it's going to be featured, because I'm not sure I would have picked it up otherwise, and I surely would have been missing out. The Creativity Project is the perfect name for it, because it is one of the greatest celebrations of creativity, individuality, and uniqueness I've read. Having read many of the authors featured, I r ...more
Nora Baskin
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been teaching creative writing for nearly twenty years and there are very few books I recommend to my students. (Bird by bird, What If? On Writing) I am not generally a fan of the How-to-write book. In fact, I don't think you can really "teach" creative writing. You can provide opportunities to write, give prompts, lots of encouragement and then give feed back (and even that can be flawed!) ..but basically you just need to WRITE and write and write and get better.
The Creativity Project d
Sean Kottke
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, michigan-books
"Awesometastic" is right on the nose, a perfect portmanteau for this hybrid text of challenges and responses from a lovely rogue's gallery of 44 contemporary authors whose works run the gamut of literary styles and text forms. Bonus: there's ample invitation to play along with the 44 answered prompts and 44 fresh ones. Like the "Anti-Coloring Book" my parents gave me in the 70s to spur my creativity for a new generation, the pull to create is irresistible here. In full disclosure, I know Colby, ...more
Lorie Barber
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a game changer. Teacher, literacy advocate, and book lover Colby Sharp brought together creatives to create and respond to prompts. And it is magical.

I laughed, cried, shouted, and shivered my way though this collaborative masterpiece. I feel inspired to create new pieces myself and with my students, and I am honored to have had access to this book prior to its publication through Colby’s generosity with our #bookexpedition crew.

The only downside? That I have to wait until March 2
Sandra Stiles
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This is a book I will definitely read over and over again. Colby Sharp asked writers to submit two writing prompts. He then sent those prompts back out to the authors. Each other was asked to pick one of the two prompts someone else had written and write. There were no guidelines. The prompts were small cartoons, poems, words, sentences. The stories and poems that came out were wonderful. I read through it the first time in a couple of hours. Now I want to go through and mark those I want to use ...more
Hope
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This book is perfect for all ages. Simple format - prompt then response - but filled with SO MUCH GREATNESS. I had a blast reading through and seeing how these insanely creative minds took a prompt and ran with it. I loved when my mind went a certain way after reading the prompt and then when I'd read the response I was totally mind blown. We (me and my kids) were reading some of them this morning before school and laughing. Great book to gift both kids and teachers. Really a lot of fun. I enjoy ...more
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is indeed "awesometastic"! I received an advanced copy at NCTE and I regret not reading it sooner. It is way more than a variety of prompts and responses from authors and illustrators. The wide range of art and styles of texts, the unique and original content, and the matches made between contributors all make this a book that readers are going to love. Do yourself a favor- preorder this now.
Brian
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Opening this book is like diving into a lake made of magic. The prompts are outstanding, and the responses even BETTER than you’d expect (despite a line-up of some of the best writers in children’s literature). This should be on the shelves of every teacher’s classroom and in the heart of every creator.
Leonard Kim
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a pure reading experience, 3 stars, but gets a bonus for concept and community and its potential for classroom use.
  • 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Our Story Begins: Your Favorite Authors and Illustrators Share Fun, Inspiring, and Occasionally Ridiculous Things They Wrote and Drew as Kids
  • Read Write Teach: Choice and Challenge in the Reading-Writing Workshop
  • Breakfast on Mars and 37 Other Delectable Essays
  • What If...
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • The Essential Don Murray: Lessons from America's Greatest Writing Teacher
  • Silent Days, Silent Dreams
  • Guy-Write: What Every Guy Writer Needs to Know
  • Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
  • The Digital Writing Workshop
  • Billy's Booger
  • Ideas Are All Around
  • Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
  • Saving the Ghost of the Mountain: An Expedition Among Snow Leopards in Mongolia
  • Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • Two Truths and a Lie: It's Alive!