Start by marking “Rise: Surviving the Fight of My Life” as Want to Read:
Rise: Surviving the Fight of My Life

Rise: Surviving the Fight of My Life

AN INSPIRING MEMOIR FOR ANYONE WHO'S BEEN KNOCKED DOWN AND CAME UP SWINGING

As a young girl growing up in Newberg, Oregon, Paige Sletten was all energy and full of potential. A natural athlete, Paige excelled at dancing, made the cheerleading squad earlier than most, and even had aspirations of becoming a Disney child star. With a tight-knit family, Paige's life was on trac
Published April 10th 2018 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise

Khurram
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very different book to what I was expecting.  On the surface Paige VanZant's life seem like everything is great. She has the job she loves, with many perks and endorsement.  She seems like to be a happy go lucky all American girl. However the scars on her spirit are internal. Despite her battles in the Octogen, her life has been her greatest battleground.

Paige's story is a dark tale, and a testament to her strength of character that she came out the other side but that she has actually survive
Jason Weber
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was floored by this book! Thank you Paige for sharing your story! Highly recommended for any Paige or MMA fan.
Beth
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The original reader for this, actually, was my daughter. However, knowing that there are some heavy topics, I wanted to be able to have a conversation about that with her, should any questions/comments/concerns come up. And then - I just really enjoyed the book.

It's a pretty quick read, and an interesting look at the potential ramifications of childhood bullying, the strength one can find even when one believes there isn't any to be found, and the long-term issues that can surface from sexual as
Lance Lumley
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not a major fan of the UFC, but I do watch it from time to time, especially when Paige VanZant is on. after reading this book, I have more respect for her than before. During her young life, she has endured several things that would make others break, but she is still fighting and made a success of herself.
The book details several encounters that she had growing up in Oregon, while trying to find her place in the world, like most teens try to do. The book covers her struggles to move on (N
Aspasia
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Alex Devero
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A great source of inspiration for anyone who faced or is facing challenges in life. Paige is an example of someone who was able to overcome really horrible events in her life by sheer will, determination and persistence. She shows on her own example that it doesn't matter what happened and how bad was it. You can still decide to get up, dust yourself off and change. It is truth that Paige is very young and her career is still is in its infancy. However, she already proved how strong-willed, dete ...more
Andrew To
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rise by Paige Vanzant

Followed Paige through her MMA history and waited so long to get hold of her new book. By the end of the book I am lost for words on the disturbing events this woman has been through and the brave smile she puts on every time she steps into the ring.

What I’ve learnt is no matter how low you find yourself in life not everything is lost. Picking yourself back up and making something of yourself again.. All the respect in the world for this woman and taking us along in her incr
Megan Herriott
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amazing, inspirational story of resilience, faith, and overcoming incredible hardship!
Brianna
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While the pure facts of this book are disturbing, it’s also uplifting and inspiring. The book (and her life) has a lot of shocking twists. Her choice to live above her struggles is amazing.
Deborah  Cleaves
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful MustRead.

Told in stark plain language, Rise is a powerful tale about confronting powerlessness to stand in your own truth. It’s a tale about the destruction of childhood innocence through gang rape, slut-shaming and uncontrolled school bullying. It addresses PTSD and recovery. What it isn’t is a casual stroll through positive memories. It promotes insight into suicidal and homicidal ideation, and insight into the erroneous choice of a controlling and violent partner out of a warped impr
Jimilee Allen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about life and how it can be sometimes brutal! But the moral of the story is never give up! A good story about survival and what can happen if you work on self improvement and follow your dreams.
Wesley Policky
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read.
Leonard
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent memoir, honest, concise and very well written. The author is now a famous mixed martial star in the UFC's women's straw weight division. Her story of being a high school student subjected to assault and bullying for years is not easy to read, even though it's written as all such stories should be, with the emphasis on the victim and what she had to endure, not on the offenders or the activities of the police. She emphasizes the importance of anyone witnessing or suspecting a ...more
Carly Tinkler
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s not everyday that I read an entire book in one sitting and am so inspired that I wish there was more, but today that happened. I’m not even a UFC or MMA enthusiast, but Paige VanZant is my new hero!
M Pereira
I spend so much of my time reading books that I ignore much of life going on around me and society at large.

This is a book that really reflects its time (compared to my reading on early Modern philosophy or some bit of medieval logic). The testimony (exceptionally disturbing) of Vanzant's assault, and her entry into the MMA world is something that should communicate something about the Zeitgeist of this decade and the post-2017 #metoo movement that went around originally in entertainment and the
Ashlei Griggs
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. It really lets you in to the life that created this fighter. Before I read this I thought that Paige was just someone trying to be cool by fighting, but I understand now what created that deep need to fight inside of her. I respect her a bit more. Compared to Ronda Rousey’s book “my fight, your fight,” this is more written like a high school kids essay, but I still enjoyed the read. I was seriously drawn in from the beginning to see what happens next.
Barbara Nutting
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF- 3/4 was all I could stand. Poorly written and over dramatized. What 14 year old walks into a house after midnight to hook up with 4 drunk stoned
guys - what did she think was going to happen ? Surely not a harmless game of ping pong !! Same with Seth, you screw around with a psycho what do you expect. Her life is one bad judgement call after another. Her parents don’t sound too sharp either. I never heard of her before and I hope I don’t ever hear of her again!!
Dawn
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I actually finished this book several weeks ago but just didn't know what to say. Thank you Ms. VanZant for sharing your heart-wrenching story. Sadly, this happens all too often. But when courageous women, such as yourself, come forward to share your story, it brings awareness. I hope I see in my lifetime, stronger laws for offenders and not the boys will be boys mental attitude. My wish is that this book will inspire others to come forward with their stories and RISE!
Paris23
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very sensitive and emotional book. I really, really was inspired by Paige’s story. However, not everyone should read this book. You should at least be in highschool to read this. There is some adult material. Overall, though, it is a very good book!
Reagan Lam
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well written account of her rise to success. She talks about all her ups and downs she has endured thus far. To endure all she did and come out on the other side as a complete bad ass is so inspiring and motivational.
Jasmine Wei
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: martial-arts
Well written book with an inspiring and empowering story, demystified rumors about Paige as a fighter and reality TV star. Highly recommend the book to people who fight through their lives with a non-nonsense attitude.
Jennine
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very touching story- it helps you understand the depths of bullying and abuse teenagers must face today. And sadly- a view into perhaps why school shootings are on the rise. Paige- thank you for sharing your story and not giving up on life.
Racquel
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an extremely inspiring story. Having gone through very similar situations as she has in my life, it was very eye-opening and made me realize what can be done about what happened to me and how you can find success and victory and conquer just about anything.
Merari
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Amazing strength and resilience. Highly recommend it
Corey DeBoodt
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring read for all who've dealt with some major trauma in life. I highly recommend it.
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book was a delight to read. The book was filled with empowering messages to other readers going through similar shit. It motivated me to get back into Muay Thai martial arts. Awesome read!
Jordan Teague
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At the start of the book I was a little skeptical but it's actually really good and she has definately gained a new fan
Michelle Gurr
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whether you follow MMA or not, this is a great book. Paige has an important story to tell.
Rob Baker
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and also very inspiring to read about an amazing person and how she overcame a lot in her life!!
Chelsea
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Uplifting and Powerful story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Present Perfect: Finding God in the Now
  • At Home in North Branch (Grandma's Attic #8)
  • City of Dreams (Hero, #1)
  • Reform Your Inner Mean Girl: 7 Steps to Stop Bullying Yourself and Start Loving Yourself
  • Personal Intelligence: The Power of Personality and How It Shapes Our Lives
  • Pursuing Justice: The Call to Live and Die for Bigger Things
  • The Flying Carpet of Small Miracles: A Woman's Fight to Save Two Orphans
  • Preemptive Love: Pursuing Peace One Heart at a Time
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • My (Underground) American Dream: My True Story as an Undocumented Immigrant Who Became a Wall Street Executive
  • Garbage Bag Suitcase: A Memoir
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • Bridge Called Hope: Stories of Triumph from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • Writers on Writing: Collected Essays from The New York Times
  • Discovery of the Child
  • Boy Meets Depression: Or Life Sucks and Then You Live
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • Love in the Elephant Tent: How Running Away with the Circus Brought Me Home