Start by marking “All of Us” as Want to Read:
All of Us

All of Us

With a universal message and stunning paper collage art, this striking book is just right for fans of Matt de la Peña’s Love and Emily Winfield Martin’s The Wonderful Things You Will Be.

Award-winning illustrator Carin Berger’s beautiful and tim
Published May 8th 2018 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about All of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All of Us

Start your review of All of Us
Abigail
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Carin Berger Fans / Readers Looking for Children's Books About Global Community
Author/artist Carin Berger pairs a lovely poem about love, inclusion, and community with gorgeous collage artwork in her latest picture-book, All of Us. The text itself is minimal but speaks volumes, while the accompanying illustrations are lovely, depicting the many diverse individuals who make up "all of us."

I really enjoyed this heartfelt poem about the beauty of love, and having faith in the power of community, even in dark times. It reads well aloud, and is sure to provoke some thought in y
Lauren
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The art is beautiful but the text is very vague/metaphorical/poetic for what seems like the intended age range. What does a "hazy future" or a "stormy past" mean to a very small child? What does it mean for "hope and light" to "prevail"? Concrete actions and language are, I think, more useful for younger children (and all of us in general, really. These are pretty words, but love doesn't just win by itself, we have to act).
Cecilia
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very sweet book, but it's yet another example of "love will fix everything." I think that is a bit of a dangerous message, as it is a bit too idyllic in a time where nazi rhetoric is becoming mainstream. But, then again, there's nothing wrong with aspiring to that hopeful message either.
Najila
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This was such a beautiful and lovely book. I read it to my baby and was somewhat emotional by the end. I’ll def get a copy of our own and read it to him a few days a week if not every day.
Amy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, kindness
Great for the times that we are in. Teach kids that love is more important than fear and that together, we are better. Great for a classroom.
meg
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
simple but stunning and uplifting. just what i needed to read right now <3
***
okay, i was holding back tears as i read this in storytime. so many feelings.
Nancy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This book feels like it really wants to be a picture book for adults -- and I wish it would be! Then it could let its rally for optimism go wild.

As it is, I'm confused (as I am with many message-driven picture books for kids): who would enjoy this? Not this adult reader, alas (as the text is simplistic), and not, I suspect, a young or even slightly older child, as nothing here is either news -- I rather expect my caregiver to be there for me (not saying they always are), nor easy to understand.
Ben Truong
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
All of Us is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Carin Berger. This book depicts a heartfelt story of the true meaning of love in a world that could sometimes be dark and uncaring world.

The text is rather simple, straightforward, and lyrical. It is a heavily metaphorical story written in rhyme, albeit the first stanza missed it – the meaning far outweighs the technical perfection. The illustrations are vibrant and reminiscent of cut-paper collages with ephemera sources.

The premi
Megan Schmelzer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

​All of us have moments in our lives when we are faced with hard times. All of us have moments where our hearts are heavy, our paths are unclear, and fear paves our next steps in darkness. We have all been there, and children are no different.

All of Us, by Carin Berger, provides hope for everyone going through challenging moments in their lives. Through her use of the simplest text, Carin Berger reminds her readers that as long as love
Ms. Shoshana
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I really like the art and the first few pages. I liked this a lot more when I thought it was a book about how sometimes things are scary when you're sad or scared (when your heart is heavy/when the winds are wild) but that being with someone who loves you can make you feel better. I thought the end was kind of dumb. Hope and light might not always prevail! Love might not always win! To me, the point shouldn't be that the arc of the universe inevitable moves towards justice because right now I'm ...more
Christine Turner
ATA Wonder Kit --Peace Education, Diversity, Love,

Acclaimed and award-winning picture book creator Carin Berger shares a moving story of community, empathy, and the power of love. With a universal message and stunning paper collage art, this striking book is perfect for young and old alike. Berger's beautiful and timely picture book celebrates the power of community, family, and most of all, love. Her beautiful collage art and lyrical text offer a message of hope in the face of adversity; reade
Jana
With simple rhyming text and beautiful artwork, this awesome picture books has a wonderful, uplifting message for all readers - We are stronger together than we are alone - Love wins. According to the book jacket, the cut-paper collages "are made using ephemera, such as catalogues, old books, receipts, letters and ticket stubs." I found myself gazing at the gorgeous illustrations and trying to read the bits and pieces of the cut-paper. These are scary and discouraging times for many people as we ...more
Meredith
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a picture book about peacemaking, healing, and fostering togetherness. Using kind reassuring language, it comforts and encourages the reader. I particularly liked the edict not to fear "the hazy future or the story past". While the conclusion that love conquers all is cliched, it is nevertheless a hopeful and fitting ending.

All of Us would be excellent to share with children who have experienced trauma -- both big and little "t" -- or who have suffered from some form of discrimination as
Liz
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All of Us has a very nice message about letting love bolster spirits in times of distress and uncertainty. However, the diversity in the book seems to largely exclude people with disabilities. The medium the artist used certainly seems like it could support wider inclusion - and the collage style art is visually satisfying. While I enjoyed the spirit of the book, the story did not include all of us.
Geri chesner
Thick matte paper. bold, colorful, double page collage illustrations. Diverse people represented individually and in multicultural groups of people.

"When your heart is heavy
And your step unsure
Know that I am here,
as steady as stone.
We are stronger together
Than we are alone.
Hope and light will always prevail
For love wins.
Love wins.
Love will never fail."
Barbara
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"When your heart is heavy, and your step unsure, know that I am here, as steady as a stone." All of Us, by Carin Berger, is a combination of calming poetry and lovely illustrations that creates an especially peaceful and beautiful book. This would make a great gift book for Children ages 4 - 12 who are struggling with feelings of despair or loneliness.
Ann Santori
I understand the sentiment that the hopefulness of the 'love wins' message may be hard to believe in with such darkness surrounding us, but I truly believe that our connection to one another and the love we can show others is as powerful as this book makes it seem. Beautiful collage art . . . great, non-specific social justice message.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade

There are hard moments in our life that may leave us feeling lost; but, "know that I am here, as steady as a stone." A black and white hand clasp together as the author reassures us that love wins. The beginning has some heavy moments for a younger audience but the brevity of the story is a suitable read-aloud for all ages.
Ashley Adkins
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick and meaningful read. Not a lot of text on each page which is ideal for younger readers. Most of the illustrations on each page are in bold solid colors that make each page unique. The text does not necessarily create a story but is more like a pep talk for the reader. Great message in this book though it seems slightly forced.
Citlalli Canete
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book even though it is really short but it is very meaningful. It basically says that we are stronger together and that love will never fail. I can see using this book in class to show my classmate that no matter how different we are, its better for us to stay together than being alone.
JoEllen
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for discussions at morning meeting. Will be traveling with this one for awhile #BookLove for @CarinBerger’s #AllOfUs. Love wins. #TeachLove #SpreadLove. Great for illustration study and message of pictures and words. Celebrate community, kindness and the power of love.
Frances Hotchkiss
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book with a beautiful message! We are stronger together and love does win! Though the text is simple it is suited for the older child, it has a rather deep meaning. I like the strong positive outlook on being part of a loving community.
Linda
Beautiful message, comforting and brief. All of us are stronger together! You have to read it to experience the strength of the illustrations and the few words. My youngest granddaughter and I spent a lot of time looking at all the people Carin Berger showed.
Air
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so heart-felt, I had tears of happiness, and general warm feelings on every page! The moral of the story, no matter what, we are stronger together, and love ALWAYS wins. Excuse me while I go sob in joy for a few minutes.
Dawn
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It is one of those picture books with many, many layers of meaning that you will get more out of each time you/a child read/s it. I especially loved the story-behind-the story told about the book on this blog post: https://taralazar.com/2018/08/22/all-...
Molly
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This poem reminds readers that love always wins even when things feel sad. The illustrations are stunning, but I'm not sure how much young kids will understand the poem. It seemed to go over my storytime kids' heads.
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Extremely spare art-piece about supporting/loving one another. 66 words. Begins a little in the vein of "Bridge Over Troubled Water." The Big Umbrella has almost the same word count, but gets deeper into its message.
Shelley Barnow
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring and lovely, perfect for dark days.
Pam
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations support Berger's text that we're stronger together.
All sorts of people unite to show that love wins.
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A note in the book (not just the author's note) about how she made the collages would be helpful and interesting.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • A House That Once Was
  • Mixed: A Colorful Story
  • What If...
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • The Remember Balloons
Carin Berger is an award-winning designer and illustrator. She is the creator of Not So True Stories & Unreasonable Rhymes and All Mixed Up, and the illustrator of Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant, by Jack Prelutsky. She won the Society of Illustrators Founder's Award in 2006, and Publishers Weekly called her "one to watch." Carin Berger lives with her family in New York City. ...more