Start by marking “Running with Raven: The Amazing Story of One Man, His Passion, and the Community He Inspired” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Running with Raven: Th...

Laura Lee Huttenbach

Read Book* *Different edition

In 1975, Robert "Raven" Kraft made a New Year's Resolution to run eight miles on Miami's South Beach each evening. Over 125,000 miles and seven hurricanes later, he has not missed one sunset--and he has changed the lives of thousands who have run with him.

From all fifty states and over 85 countries, across all age groups and backgrounds, people come to run with Raven. In
Published April 24th 2018 by Citadel Press

To ask other readers questions about Running with Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with Raven

Start your review of Running with Raven: The Amazing Story of One Man, His Passion, and the Community He Inspired
Care
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Running with Raven is an incredible biography/character profile of Robert "Raven" Kraft. Well-written and touchingly personal, the book describes the life thus far of Raven, a Miami South Beach native most known for having consistently run eight miles along the beach every day since 1975. Huttenbach explores Raven's childhood and life leading up to his 1975 New Year's Resolution and introduces dozens of the "Raven Runners" who have joined him for anywhere from a partial run to hundreds of runs - ...more
Dane Rauschenberg
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to read and review the book Running with Raven: The Amazing Story of One Man, His Passion, and the Community He Inspired and I gladly said I would. I have personally run with Raven a handful of times and was intrigued to learn a great deal more about him than I already knew.

The book chronicled Robert Kraft's life, the man who has run 8 miles on the beaches of Miami, every single day since January 1st, 1975. Well, almost. The first thing I learned which I did not know is that claim is
Kevin
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
I really enjoyed this book. What an inspiring story. Anyone who has ever done any distance running, or has even considered such a thing, would be inspired by Robert "Raven" Craft, not only because he runs eight miles each and every day, but because he appears to be a kind and caring individual. In this age of egotistical mega-millionaire athletes, it's refreshing to read about someone who seems to have a "gift"...not only of the ability to run every day, but also to be able to related to all ...more
Jason Lilly
I love books about interesting "regular" people who become passionate about something and follow that regardless of the consequences. These "regular" people usually don't match culture's definition of greatness, but as they follow what makes them come alive, whatever they are passionate about, they inadvertently change other people's lives and become great. Raven is one of these "regular" people. I keep using quotes because Raven is anything but regular. He's eccentric, funny, a good story (and ...more
Ron S
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running, miami, ocd
Character study of a man that's been leading an eight mile run every night along Miami's South Beach since 1975. Robert "Raven" Kraft hasn't missed a single run, despite hurricanes, illness and loss. Anyone is welcome to join him each night, and thousands have, from around the world. Part of the charm of the story is that Raven's memory is every bit as obsessive as his running (plus he keeps lists, records and admits to being a hoarder) so there is an incredible wealth of material for the author ...more
Justin Thompson
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

BOOK REVIEW: Running with Raven by Laura Lee Huttenbach

Running with Raven tells the story of Robert Raven Kraft, whose streak of running 8 miles a day on Miami beach began way back on January 1, 1975. That is over 15,000 consecutive days and enough mileage to go around the earth five times. What drives someone to live such a disciplined and dedicated lifestyle, despite debilitating back pain? The book digs deep into Raven's past and present to answer these questions. The short answer is, Raven
Edwin Howard
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RUNNING WITH RAVEN by Laura Lee Huttenbach is the remarkable story of Robert " Raven" Kraft, who has run on Miami Beach every day for over 40 years. His "Raven Runs" are a one of a kind experience and many people have changed because of them. Huttenbach, or as Raven has nicknamed her (as he does everyone who completes a run) White Lightning, has lovingly chronicled the life of a man who found peace in knowing that every day he will run.
Immediately the reader can tell that Raven profoundly
Lindsay
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Struggling to get into my own running routine, picking up Running with Raven could not have been more timely. I devoured this book in less than a week. It was an easy read, thoroughly entertaining, inspiring and heart-warming. If you're not dying to find a community of activity partners by the end of the book, you may have missed the point.

Huttenbach is creative with her words, original and enthusiastic with her storylines and well-attuned to complexities and nuances each member of the Raven
Beau
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The true story about a streak runner (number 7 on the Official U.S.A. Active Running Streak List) named Robert Kraft and a community of friends and followers he inspired. It was both inspirational and heartbreaking. Kraft has set up his entire life around his daily 8-mile run. I don't think he could stop if he wanted to. I believe he will stop only when it becomes physically impossible to continue.

I'm a runner who succumbed to multiple injuries about 1 year ago. Although the injuries were not

Owen
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, this could be rated 3 to 4.5 stars. Raven is a character and a streak runner, running every day, with a 40 year streak. He is an interesting person with a running obsession. Like many runners, he is driven to run. He just decided to do it every day, no matter what.

The book paints a picture of an interesting / obsessed man. Those who join him to run some of his runs are interesting and different. So there is a parade of people who ran with Raven. You get a little idea about and find out
Mitch
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
A heartening tale of a man(who goes by the name of Raven) who has run 8 miles each day for over 40 years. While appearing corollary to a difficult and trying early life, the runs become a greater voice for newcomers to "find" themselves. Each day new members can earn their "nickname" and meet others searching for meaning and community in a seemingly meaningless and distant present world.

Raven, while not a perfect individual, seeks to build up the good and meritorious characteristics in others.
Bennjamin
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of the year. What an intricately woven story of Robert "Raven" Kraft. It's been an honor to follow along these last few years as his journey has started to gain popularity. Looking forward to seeing his streak hit 45 years on January 1st.

"Raven is a rare bird that I hope you'll find at the 5th Street lifeguard stand in Miami Beach at 5:30pm any day, every day. No weather hotline, no confirmation number. If he can make it out the door, he'll be there."

"Raven's gift to me
Alice
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How absolutely refreshing not to be holding a glossy magazine biography in hands. No mainstream. No photoshop applied to trivialize, and to accommodate the reader. Happy times, unhappy times, sorrow, pain... it is all there. Raven's original motivation for running is not played down. The book discloses how his perseverance and determination gave things a turn into something unique and adorable. Raven and the book's characters appear very genuine. The oblique, the stranded are given shelter in ...more
Jackie
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing and inspiring story of how one life can change and influence so many others! He has been running 8-miles a day for 40 years!

Raven seems to be such an unassuming figure, using running to battle some of the challenges in his own life, and yet the story here is really about how this incredibly humble man stuck with something for so long and influenced thousands of lives along the way.

In this modern day and age where attention spans are brief and personal connections are
Corey Thibodeaux
Raven is an inspiring man and easy to root for, reminiscent of Forrest Gump building a convoy of runners with only word-of-mouth advertising.

But, if there is going to be a book about Raven, it needs some more external research, such as scientific studies of what running eight miles a day does for both the body and the mind. He is an anomaly his story could have offered both pros and cons of such a lifestyle. This was alluded to when describing his rickety running style and pace, but concrete
Shane
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book which I suggested to my running buddies. I agree with Raven in that running is "free". I understand that people join races for the experiences but the prices people are willing to pay are crazy. I hope they saved for retirement first. Anyway, this book is many stories within the story, I loved how he accepts almost everyone and doesn't judge those less fortunate. What a truly "rich" man in terms of life.
Cristina
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_in_2019
This was an interesting story, and I'm glad I got to know about this local runner so deeply. What I appreciated most about this book were the bits and pieces of South Beach history, but I felt some of what was said about Raven was a bit too repetitive in the end.

I loved that he could talk to anyone and make everyone feel like they are welcome. I also like how Raven stuck to his morals and ideas about not paying to run. It gave me perspective about signing up for running races.
Deborah
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love getting to know interesting people, and Raven certainly qualifies. The author does a good job of making him more than just an odd character. This book will surely inspire runners and non-runners alike. It's one of those books I wish could continue past the end. I always say I've never seen a happy jogger, but I may have to stop saying that now. Raven's dedication almost makes me feel like running.
Patty Getsla
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book to inspire me to run again, and it did so much more. What a truly inspiring, motivating, heart warming story about humanity and perseverance. Laura Lee, who writes Ravens biography does an incredible job of not only capturing Ravens life, but the lives of those in the community who were pulled into his gravity. I literally did not put this book down until I read it cover to cover, and am resisting the urge to read it again right now. Wow, just amazing. ...more
Bonnie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an inspirational story about a truly unique man. This book was easy to read and dives into the quirks that make Raven and his community of runners so fascinating. I was so inspired by his persistence that I ran with Raven after reading it - he is the REAL DEAL! I recommend reading this book and then going out there to get your nick name!
Victor rodriguez
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, structured and interesting story about consistency

To quote the afterword it is the story of an unlikely hero.
Though you may up not understanding some traits of the character of Raven, the books paints a vivid description that will light your imagination and hopefully your will.
Jean
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I'm intrigued by the notion of running every day. Raven takes this to extreme and more than once you'll shake your head and wonder about his sanity. His story is a testament to human will power and to the power of running. Some of his experiences are gut wrenching some of them are moving. Raven is a true original in a world that is filled more and more by copycats.
Paul
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book with a very colorful cast of characters. The Streak gives the Raven much notoriety, but Huttenbach underscores his astonishing ability to remember people and his outreach to the homeless. I would love to run with this guy.
Natalie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really loved reading about Raven. I found his story to be very inspiring and touching. His story has certainly motivated me to start running again.

I didnt love the style of the writer but I really appreciate a book being written about someone so interesting.
gina
Wow, one of the best audiobooks of 2018. I encourage anyone who loves audiobooks to give it a listen. Nonfiction fans? You too. Oh, and runners? You have no excuse. Read about this guy. Go run with him before the legend is gone.
Liisi
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I translated this book into my native language. It is truly admirable for a person to run as long as Raven has, but I don't think the book is anything special. You can read it to have knowledge about this man, but literature and language wise it lacks a certain something.
Neil
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, biography
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

An inspiring story that is so easy to read.
It pulls you in and may even make you think about running, not for speed or winning but for pleasure.
Donlon McGovern
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Very well written, interesting characters, great subject matter, history lesson and a quiet, easy read. I think I really like this author, and as a runner I really respect Raven. I highly recommend this author, thumbs up.
Melanie
Lots of interesting stories, creating an image of a man who wants to make a difference in people's lives.
Alicja
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book focusing on a man who formed a community through a running habit that helped him deal with a troubled life.

• Reborn on the Run: My Journey from Addiction to Ultramarathons
  • Running: A Love Story: 10 Years, 5 Marathons, and 1 Life-Changing Sport
  • Running Man
  • My Year of Running Dangerously: A Dad, a Daughter, and a Ridiculous Plan
  • The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It
  • Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
  • Run for Your Life: How to Run, Walk, and Move Without Pain or Injury and Achieve a Sense of Well-Being and Joy
  • Broken Open: Mountains, Demons, Treadmills And a Search for Nirvana
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • The Hunt (Project Paper Doll, #2)
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • This is Cancer: Everything You Need to Know, from the Waiting Room to the Bedroom
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
  • Rehepapp ehk november
  • Rikkaks saamise õpik : teadmised rahast, mida Sulle koolis ei õpetatud!
  • The Longest Race: A Lifelong Runner, an Iconic Ultramarathon, and the Case for Human Endurance
  • Can I Keep My Jersey?: Eleven Teams, Six Years, Five Countries, and My So-called Career as a Professional Basketball Player
  • Uninvited (Uninvited, #1)
Laura Lee Huttenbach, a graduate of the University of Virginia, has been a serious athlete since her older brothers taught her how to slide tackle in soccer when she was four. In high school as a four-sport star, she was named Female Athlete of the Year for the state of Georgia. She moved to South Beach in 2011 after finishing her first bookThe Boy Is Gone, the life story of a Kenyan independence ...more