Start by marking “A Celebration of Indigenous American Fantasists” as Want to Read:
A Celebration of Indigenous American Fantasists

A Celebration of Indigenous American Fantasists

Apex Magazine is a monthly science fiction, fantasy, and horror magazine featuring original, mind-bending short fiction from many of the top pros of the field. New issues are released the first Tuesday of every month.

This month we celebrate Indigenous American fantasists with guest editor Amy H. Sturgis.
Kindle Edition, Apex Book Company, 149 pages
Published August 1st 2017

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Note: This review is just for the award-winning story “Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience.” The ever-vigilant GR librarians merged its review space into this anthology.

All the stars! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature. This story is free online here at Apex Magazine.

Accolades have been pouring down on this 2017 SF short story, which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards, and is also a Sturgeon Award nominee, a Locus Recommended Short Story, a Apex Magazine Reader’s Choice Wi
Sr3yas
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the review for Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience TM, a 2018 Nebula/Hugo nominee for Best Short Story!

Total recall meets All about Eve? Who knew!

Jesse works as a guide who goes inside virtual stimulations with tourists to provide them authenticate Indian (Native American, not India's citizens to my dismay) Experience TM, varying from spiritual experience to the real deal. Things are a bit rocky at home and at work, but he is the best guy at what he does.

But then he meets White
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This 🥇2017 Nebula Award winner for Best Short Story🥇 is available for free here.

Surprise, surprise! Everyone but me read this story wrong right! Or is it right wrong? I forget.

This short should have been called Welcome to Your Totally Deadly Second Person Narrative of Doom Experience (WtYTDSPNoDE)™.

The author obviously doesn’t know I trademarked™ the word trademark™ and the corresponding trademark™ symbol™ centuries ago.

Virtual reality meets tourism meets Native American heritage = most ex
Bradley
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
'18 Hugo nom for Short Stories.

This was a surprising stand-out for me. I was at first disgusted by the tourism bit, but as things progressed, I realized it was building up into something quite nasty. When the twist came, I was kicked in the gut.

Delicious.

The best part is the fact that PoV IS giving us an Authentic Indian Experience while never quite seeing it for himself.

Two thumbs way up! :)
Veronique
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, stars-4-0
3.75*

Very thought-provoking short story. I did have a problem with the use of the second person, but the author’s narrative still won me over with the way she wraps it all up, echoing history.

Hugo Awards 2018 Short Story Nominee
Justine
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Completely excellent story. This has me really excited to read Roanhorse's upcoming novel, Trail of Lightning.

This short story is avaible to read for free here: https://www.apex-magazine.com/welcome...
Dennis
Review of Rebecca Roanhorse's Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience™

Winner of the 2017 Nebula Award and 2018 Hugo Award for Best Short Story
____________________________

Reminiscent of Philip K. Dick's We can remember it for you wholesale, this is a story about identity and perception of reality.

It was okay. But I was not wowed. My vote would have gone to Caroline M. Yoachim's Carnival Nine instead.

You can read it here.
____________________________
2018 Hugo Awards Finalists

Best Novel
The
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
5 stars to Rebecca Roanhorse's WELCOME TO YOUR AUTHENTIC INDIAN EXPERIENCE.

Still trying to wrap my mind around it. Definitely reading it again soon. Shades of Westworld and Jurassic Park. The ending knocked me for a total loop. If you have a few minutes, definitely check this one out.
Silvana
{this review is not for the whole issue}

Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience is my first story with an Indian POV. Nothing new with the plot and conclusion but the perspective is quite unique and kind of made me sad.
Jen
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-freebie
I've gotten dumb and complacent. As a teen, I would have eaten this up and begged for more. So heavy, so deep, what real anyway?

Now? Just give me clarity. I don't have time or the imagination to interpret things.

Not bad, but not for me. 3 stars.
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
It is really good. And I hated every minute of it. Leaves me lost and with a horrible feeling in my belly. This lady sure can write.
Cheryl
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read online - not flash fiction but short enough. Anyway, moving & enlightening story. I will look for more by the author. Even though I'm not quite sure I understood the very end.
Kaethe
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hugo and Nebula for good reason. Hell of a way to start your career. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Available to read free online
Bridget Mckinney
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I'm generally not a cover-to-cover reader of Apex Magazine, instead reading whatever sounds good when their content shows up online for free, but I recently subscribed to it,. It turned out to be the perfect time to do so. #99 was the first issue I got, and it's one that's definitely worth reading cover-to-cover. Guest-edited by Amy H. Sturgis, it's got non-fiction by Daniel Heath Justice and Daniel José Older and four wonderful short stories by indigenous women. The highlights, however, are "We ...more
Vijetha
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Indian here in the story is more in the context of Red Indians/American Indians/Native American Indians, and definitely not the kind I presumed it to be, related to India. That part bothered me until midway, since I kept looking for the Indian (the kind I know about!) elements to pop, which is when I had to make peace with what it actually was about.

That aside, it is an interesting story, a nice walk-in and out about a virtual reality Indian Experience, a person trying so hard to be that Indian
Ron
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
“Tourists don’t come to Sedona Sweats to live out a [expletive] battle, especially if the white guy loses. They come to find themselves.”

An engaging tale about a young man who facilitates immersive native American experiences for non-native Americans: “pretendians.” What could go wrong? Plenty. Well-conceived and written.

“Tourists aren’t all bad. They’re just needy.”

(2018 Hugo finalist)
Vderevlean
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Destul de bine scrisă, dar mult prea asemănătoare cu o proză de PKD!
Probabil undeva la 2.5-3 stele.
Antoine Bandele
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The second person perspective was effective at putting YOU in the experience of cultural appropriation and what that realm means. I’ve never seen the POV used so effectively before.
Laura LVD
A great short story that reminds me a lot of "La noche boca arriba" by Julio Cortázar.
Anyway, the sci-fi element is minimal so I don't think it is Hugo-winning material.
Ashley Berg
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating only "Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience"

so so good
Paul Ataua
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Hugo award winner that really merits the award. It’s straight, simple, and yet at the same time very powerful. It’s about a Native American who works for a virtual reality organization whose customers want to have the “Indian” experience. It’s a story with a message and that message stays with you long after the story finishes.
Ralph
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, kindle, short-story
4.5 out of 5.0 - Satisfying, tight, well-written short story.

This is one of two 2017 Nebula Short Story finalists that I've read, the other being Carnival Nine by Caroline M. Yoachim. Both are beautifully written stories that I loved for somewhat different reasons.

Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience is an example of what a great short story should be. The prose is tight, nothing wasted, just enough words to convey meaning - no more, no less. I've read it twice as text as well as listenin
Janet Martin
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings here--4.5 for a great concept and interesting plot, but I'm very ambivalent about the 2nd person imperative, and that rates a 2, IMO. I feel the voice inserts the writer between the reader and the main character, creating a lot of distance. The writer tells the both the character and the reader what to feel instead of letting the reader make up his or her mind about the events
Oleksandr Zholud
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This short story is short listed for Hugo Awards. For me, the story has a very interesting idea but its realization is so-so. In near future it is possible to experience a virtual reality adventure with 'real' Indians, and the story takes not the point of view of a tripper, but his Indian handler.
Elle Maruska
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Utterly gutting but incredibly important. Everyone should read this story. The ending is just....heartbreaking in a way I can't even fully describe but...this is Required Reading for sure
Amber
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Also appeared on episode of podcast LeVar Burton Reads
Kerri Duff
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
A very good short story that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think it might warrant a reread at some point.
Stina
Book #53 for 2018
Goodreads Summer Reading: One and Done - Read a book that you can finish in one day
My Personal Reading Challenge: A book by an indigenous person
50 States Reading Challenge: Arizona

I had a pretty good idea where this story was going, but the anticipation did nothing to diminish how mind-bendy it was. It's a fairly short read/listen, but Roanhorse packed in a lot of meaning, atmosphere, and snark. Snark directed every which way.

LeVar Burton read this on his podcast and did a great
Rebecca Roanhorse is a Nebula and Hugo Award-winning speculative fiction writer and the recipient of the 2018 Campbell Award for Best New Writer. Her short fiction has also been a finalist for the Sturgeon, Locus and World Fantasy awards. Her novel Trail of Lightning was selected as an Amazon, B&N, Library Journal, and NPR Best Books of 2018, among others. The next book in the series, Storm of ...more