Start by marking “Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup” as Want to Read:

Rand Fishkin, the founder and former CEO of Moz, reveals how traditional Silicon Valley "wisdom" leads far too many startups astray, with the transparency and humor that his hundreds of thousands of blog readers have come to love.

Everyone knows how a startup story is supposed to go: A young, brilliant entrepreneur has an cool idea, drops out of college, defies the doub
Hardcover
Published April 24th 2018 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Lost and Founder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost and Founder

Start your review of Lost and Founder: The Mostly Awful, Sometimes Awesome Truth about Building a Tech Startup
Ahmad Abugosh
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As a big fan of Rand's work on Moz (especially his pro tips on Twitter and Whiteboard Friday's), this book was a great look behind the curtain on the true nature of running a venture backed SaaS business.

When I first started reading this book, I thought it was amazing. The first few chapters of this book reminded me of the type of radical honesty and insight of something written by Derek Sivers. I really enjoyed how Rand shared his story, gave his perspective on the difficulties of starting a b
Stefan Bruun
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Similar concepts to "Anything you want" by Derek Sivers. An honest description of the journey from early idea to startup.
Unfortunately, I think many of the lessons in this book can't be taught via books. The book highlights the softer parts of running a tech startup - parts that are usually ignored as they fall behind more urgent tasks. I, for one, wouldn't have got to the realization of the importance of these elements, had I not experienced the pain resulting from neglecting them - clear valu
Yuliana Oselska
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Deeply impressed by transparency and honesty of Rand Fishkin, the Founder of Moz. In this book, he shares the true story of how he successfully started Moz and then at some point failed with its growth, why he recently left the company, and what he learnt during these 16 years. He turned down the $25 million acquisition offer from HubSpot and is not afraid to publicly regret this. What’s most important he analyses all the details and outcomes of such decision.

This is not only a startup story but
Vasco
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The bad: Although fair and raw and truthful, Fishkin’s book is at points riddled with hate and distrust of certain figures in the startup scene “just because”. We get the feeling there’s a deeper story there, but we just read insults and the towards these figures without justification. Even if truthful, I believe every accusation should include ones version of the story. It’s the least you can do.

The good: A refreshing book with a raw and truthful perspective on the problems that plague founders
Andrus
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories in this book are worth 5 or 6 stars. Very well told and candid, and they touch topics that are not often visited in tech/business/startup literature. A true peek behind the scenes and good business lessons told and learned.

But at times Rand shares general if not basic information about the way certain parts of tech companies work, and these bits really slowed the book down for me. So it’s a 4-star review but I still recommend to read it.
Andra
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deeply thankful - this is how I feel for this book, for Rand's incredible effort to write it and for the lessons it shares with disarming honesty.

It's a rare opportunity to be able to learn so much of what goes into difficult decisions the people we admire make. This book is exactly this opportunity, delivered with grace, sincerity, and incredible self-awareness.

It inspired me to reflect on important issues, both professional and personal.
It gave me ideas for topics that I believe are valuabl
Astrid
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am the CEO of a small company and even though it's not a start-up (btw, I worked for a year in a startup), I was able to take a lot away from this book. First and foremost - everybody makes mistakes and sometimes they result in really bad things. That actually was a huge relief. No kidding. It's so uplifting to hear that it's not only me who that happens to.

Rand Fishkin is very open and honest about success and failure. In the end he states that the "not so much fun times" happened much more o
Avtar Ram Singh
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone that's been familiar with the story of Moz and Rand for the last few years, Lost and Founder wasn't a surprise. It's exactly what I expected it to be: transparent, to the point, straight-forward and incredibly useful. The purpose of Lost and Founder is similar to what a number of other entrepreneurs and Silicon Valley success stories (like DHH) are trying to push, which is that startups don't have to be crazy, massively funded, chaotic and run by tyrants.

A very small percentage of bus
Philip Joubert
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech-history
Reading this book is like spending a day with Rand and having him tell you about his journey with Moz. It's a rare opportunity to dive into one founder's experience.

What makes the book work is that Rand is super honest and talks openly about his successes, failures and the tough decisions he had to make.

Don't mistake the 5-star review for an endorsement of Rand's views. I disagree with a lot of what Rand thinks. The guy seems pretty damn sour about the fact that he didn't accept an early acquisi
AV
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
After Ben Horowitz's "The Hard Thing About Hard Things", if there's another business book that I'd recommend people, it'd be this. Because if the former talked about how to deal with precarious situations in business, the latter talks about how to deal with the precarious yourself while leading a business.

As people have proclaimed about it, it's truly a painfully honest, unadulterated and transparent take by Rand on building Moz. Covering everything from his unhealthy decisions, his own unstable
Mengyi
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With no intention to start my own business anytime soon, I still enjoyed myself a lot reading the book., partly because the book confirms many of my doubts about popular startup quotes about the fake it until you make it mentality, and about the go big or go home mentality, by giving examples based on the author's startup experience as an ex-CEO, partly because the book is written in a very light and personal tone, so it's very easy and fun to read for me.

The book introduced about the reality of
Laura Simis
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have absolutely no desire to found a company, nor to someday be the CEO of an established one - but this was still a really compelling look at some of the decisions leaders face during a growth face.

It felt like reading about my own workplace at times (helping me better appreciate what we're doing right AND making me feel a little more empathetic to decision makers about the things we haven't quite nailed.
Filip Kis
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A highly recommended read for any startup founder. And a must-read for any SaaS founder/manager.

The refreshingly down to earth, no bullshit and, even though written by American, non repetitive advice on how to build and run a business. It's told through honest and reflective recount on Rand Fishkin's own triumphs and, more importantly, failures building Moz - a leading company in field of SEO marketing with millions in revenu.

This is a book I'll probably read parts of over and over again.
Diego Gomes
Some interesting stories, just not “my kind of book”

I really admire Rand and Moz, and follow both for several years now. I love his transparency, but I tend to think he just sees stuff in a somewhat pessimistic way, most of the time. I also think the moment in which he wrote the book left a “unfinished tale” taste in it. Anyway, I’ll buy the next one. #gomoz #gosparktoro
Rocio
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve followed Rand Fishkin’s content and have used Moz in the companies I co-founded. His transparency and knowledge sharing is visible in all of that content, Moz’s software and now this book. This is a candid memoir of all things a founder goes through at a personal and professional level. Highly recommended read.
Claire
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You may not always personally agree with Rand or have made different decisions, but this book is refreshingly honest. There is a lot to be learned from this amount of transparency.

Personally I applaud the focus on values and diversity.
Kaspars Koo
A unique and fresh take on building startups by Rand Fishkin, CEO & Co-Founder of SEOmoz. Honest, funny and more down to earth and closer to what an average successful start-up journey looks like - his company is a very successful business, but it's not Facebook or Google.
Enjoyed it a lot.
Philipp Inhestern
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Factful guide to the start-up world. Honest analysis of hyped tools & techniques and Silicon Valley pop culture. Insightful part on fundraising and the diverse consequences for a business and the founders. Sometimes a little dark, overall definitely a good read. ...more
David
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very honest story and enlightening. A bit of a bleak view on his situation. But a good contrast to the great amazing view that is always presented by other successful startups.
Nicolas
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great insight about entrepreneurship, particularly about fundings, with a great transparency about the available funding paths.
Etienne Garbugli
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, business, startups
Probably the best book to understand how startups *really* work.
Tõnu Vahtra
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
A story of a startup that can be considered successful (revenues in tens of millions) but the knowledge sharing part felt quite mainstream and methodically there wasn't so much novel about the recommendations. Mainly it felt like the company was well positioned and took advantage of the rise of SEO industry. Probably valuable book for those who are new to startup scene but does not stand out compared to origin stories of the big global tech unicorns.
Gabi
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best, cliches free books about startups and culture building books ; with many controversial but interesting points of view
Misty
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure why I read this book. I know Rand and Geraldine but just barely. I know nearly nothing about Moz. I don’t work in tech. And although I work in marketing I have just surface knowledge of SEO. But I decided to preorder this book for a couple of reasons: my father-in-law is the CEO of a startup, and I wanted to understand what he’s gone through. And I read some article or blog post about Rand’s depression, and I appreciated the honesty - and I’m glad to see that vulnerability as a them ...more
Zhou Mi
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks rand. Its the first time i read some book that the founder can openly shared the failure and depression stories.
There's so many books and online blogs focusing on the miracles and success startup legends. Yet there's only a few who willing to share the other side.
I appreciate the honesty from rand. There's so many
hot conceptslike lean startup, j curve, mvp, esop incentives are widely shared in the startup environment. Yet no one had shared that these concepts can only work in certain c
Alexander Shpilka
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book!
So many insights about VC funding and startup world in general.
If you are running a tech company it is must read.
Jurgen Appelo
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: _startups
Refreshingly honest and inspiring.
Emeric Ernoult
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazin, amazing book. An absolute must read for every entrepreneur considering raising money to grow their business.
Jason Braatz
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
This is an essential read for those who read the general business genre. In fact, I'd recommend that MBA programs begin offering coursework on this book.

As others have mentioned, this is written similarly to Anything You Want, but goes much farther than Derek Sivers does. Moreso, this book is a juxtaposition of The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers and The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successf
Marshall
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the most honest, authentic storytelling of startups from a CEO, it reveals the highs, lows, and their effects on the founders themselves and their family.

In addition, this book provides some “cheat codes” for anyone who is eager to start her own journey in startup. Several “cheat codes” I’ve learned by reading this book:

1. Naming of a company matters. Having a general name without any association (e.g. Amazon, Spotify) works better in impression, also make sure the “.com” domain is avail
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • The Messy Middle: Finding Your Way Through the Hardest and Most Crucial Part of Any Bold Venture
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital and How to Get It
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • Subscribed: Why the Subscription Model Will Be Your Company's Future - and What to Do About It
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • From Impossible to Inevitable: How Hyper-Growth Companies Create Predictable Revenue
  • Wise Guy: Lessons from a Life
  • Measure What Matters
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you

News & Interviews

“Bing’s gotten much better since then, and is now as good as or better than Google on most queries, but that MVP hangover has stuck with the brand for years and, in my opinion, continues to dampen the prospects of what should be a very decent option for web searchers.” 1 likes
“Take Maya Angelou’s advice: when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” 1 likes