Start by marking “The Excellence Dividend: Meeting the Tech Tide with Work that Wows and Jobs that Last” as Want to Read:

"Tom Peters' new book is a bundle of beautiful dynamite. While I've been a CEO for 30 years, I still learned much worth knowing from The Excellence Dividend. You will too."
--John C. Bogle, founder, Vanguard

For decades Tom Peters has been preaching the gospel of putting people first, and in today's rapidly changing business environment, this message is more important than ever. Wi
Published April 3rd 2018 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Excellence Dividend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Excellence Dividend

Start your review of The Excellence Dividend: Meeting the Tech Tide with Work that Wows and Jobs that Last
Mark Fallon
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of Tom Peters. I don't agree with everything he writes, but he's probably the most honest and consistent expert/writer/critic on leadership and management since Peter Drucker.

The layout, fonts, and writing style of this book will bring the reader as close as possible to hearing Tom present live without leaving their chair. Now that I've read it once, it's time to go back and make notes about what I have to start doing, stop doing and read.

Plus, I need to order a
Teri Temme
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thousand times YES!!!!!!!

This book is going to be required reading for anyone wanting to get to know me...seriously. I can't think of any other book encapsulating what I have been striving for all of my professional life.

If this book doesn't motivate you to make a difference in this world....well, then we can't be friends.

One of my favorite quotes in the book, from Richard Branson: "Business has to give people enriching, rewarding lives...or it's simply not worth doing
Theodore Kinni
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tom Peters says this book is 50 years in the making--and there's enough insight and advice in it to keep managers busy for the next 50 years
Jim Dooley
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterwork, pulling years of ideas from Tom Peters and applying them to the “Tech Tsunami” in which we find ourselves swirling. It is ripe with concepts for consideration and challenges to act for managers, but it is indispensable for anyone who wants to analyze the ins and outs of successful business. (As I write this, I’ll be enjoying early Retirement next month. Still, I was fascinated and will be sharing the perspectives with others.)

Years ago, I attended a conference in which Tom P
Karren Hodgkins
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is quintessential Tom Peters. Having devoured Re-imagine! many years ago, I recognised and enjoyed his relaxed, conversational style. There are rants, asides and some very direct assertions.

I love these thoughts,
“This book is about hard work and unrelenting development and maintenance of a culture of excellence,”

“Excellence, to repeat, is a human-driven affair, a state of mind, not a computer-generated exercise.”

‘Excellence is profitable. Excellence is security.”
Russell and karen
Business A2Z

A really good thought provoking read of all the contemporary business thoughts. Throughly enjoyed it, would recommend to others and will be dipping in again and again
Joe Sabado
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best mgmt/leadership book I've ever read.

I've read more than a couple of hundreds of books on management/leadership and the workplace. This book by Tom Peters seem to put the ideas I've read together. I follow him on Twitter and his style there is the same as this book. Conversational in tone, unapologetic, and definitely speaks from experience. Highly recommend! I will be reading this book many time as reminders on how I can improve myself to help me lead.
Francis J. Kong
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not The Same

This is no longer the same Time Peters i know of many years ago, he has changed. Tom Peters has become greater....if there is only one sane and sensible business book you can read this year. This book is it! Exclamation Point!

Lori Tatar
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Working in the tech industry, it is easy to lose the humanity in what we do every day. As I read this, I recognized shadows of some of the things my company tries to do, oftentimes less than successfully, and certainly not with excellence. This really struck a chord with me as I look back on how we have "progressed" as we have gotten larger and larger, constantly seeking higher revenues and increasing shareholder value.

Employees recognize the shift further and further away from their happiness
Wally Bock
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Search of Excellence was a great book for its day, and The Excellence Dividend is a great book for its day. The first was the filtered, more buttoned-down version of Tom Peters. The second, after 35 years of reading and researching and having conversations about important ideas, is the unfiltered, open-collar version of Tom Peters. Read the book because everyone else will. Read the book because you’ll gain Tom’s point of view and supporting sources on a wide range of issues. Read the book for ...more
Robert Williger
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Peters does it again

Tom Peters is my all time favorite business writer. I have read or listened to some of his books multiple times as I know I will do with this one as well.

In his no BS style, direct and to the point, he covers what you need to do to compete in the modern business world.

I have so many highlights and bookmarks in this book and it is one that will stay relevant for some time to come because it is about the human aspect of business.

This
David
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like the cut of Tom Peters' jib. No nonsense advice delivered with passion, and an enthusiasm for people and what they can achieve by being human.

The style the text is laid out in, with lots of acroynms, lots of big bold letters, and some tub-thumping repetition can be distracting (not in a good way) but you get used to it soon enough and it seems totally in line with the walking exclamation mark that is Tom Peters
Scott
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Execution Fanaticism #11: Show up early! Leave late! Sweat the details!
"A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world." John le Carre
The first-line boss is the key leadership role in the organization because they have direct contact with those who do the work. The frontline bosses connect the aspirations of the business to the people who do the work. A must read for the supervisor of a six to eight person unit.
Oliwia Bieniek
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book offers a comprehensive list and examples of how to stand out and be 'excellent' in various professional areas. Nice read for mid-level management to start thinking how to get better and leadership. Peters' ADD style of writing and his quirky odd thoughts inserts are often distracting and hard to follow. I liked it overall but it's not going to end on my must-read list.
Rick
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read his book In Search of Excellence way back when probably one of the first books I read on leadership. The sequel is just as powerful and reaffirming as the original. Basically comes down to continuing to put people first and strive for excellence for the next 5 minutes. Do yourself a favor, get caught up in his passion and read the book.
Manuel Garcia Lacayo
Great content

Thia is the first Tom Peters book I read. I really like the content. I've learnt a lot. I re-confirmed stuff I believe in. Not giving a five stars because I really dislike the writing style but what you will learn surpass it so it's worth it.
Dean Calhoun
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always - outrageously Tom Peters

Many nuggets of actionable items to make you a better leader and thinker. Packed with quotes and suggested readings. Read it, then take action!!!!!!
Jim King
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
1000 suggestion with data to back it up on leadership, kindness, hurry, wait, read, staff first, and the list goes on. You will need a notebook to take notes
John Uzzi
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
At the same time too much and too little. 2 inches deep and 100 miles wide
Matthew Trevithick
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars, some good stuff in here in terms of day to day management. A few golden observations as well
Julia Powell
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Audible. Tried and tried to get into this but didn’t capture my interest.
Marilyn Jess
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliance, from start to finish. Includes many recommended readings to further your knowledge. If you follow this advice, in business and in life, you will be living your best life.
Brendan O'Toole
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read for any business leader. I have countless highlights and pages folded for future reference.
Durrell
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book will tire you out.
Oleh Myroshnichenko
Sep 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terrible and fragmented writing style :( Having read “In Search of Excellence”, it is difficult to believe that this book was written by one of those authors. Disappointed.
Kim Forney
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Tom Peters is excellent in his field! Lots of great subjects! The 18 E's, women in business/ untapped buying power, IT, algorithms, etc. I would recommend the book!
Samuel Premkumar
More of a reference book of quotes.
Michelle
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book contains many great insights along with a preliminary AI reading list, which I plan to pursue. I look lots of notes while reading this.
Glen
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long awaited!!!

Refresher in Excellence for a new age ... and the next.
Timely and important for all managers, especially managers of our selves.
Kathy Cowie
To be reviewed in the September-October issue of Global Business and Organizational Excellence.

• Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Measure What Matters
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
  • The Employee Experience Advantage: How to Win the War for Talent by Giving Employees the Workspaces They Want, the Tools They Need, and a Culture They Can Celebrate
  • New Power: How Power Works in Our Hyperconnected World—and How to Make It Work for You
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Great at Work: How Top Performers Do Less, Work Better, and Achieve More
  • Principles: Life and Work
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
Born in Baltimore in 1942 "with a lacrosse stick in one hand and oars over my shoulder," Peters resided in California, mainly Silicon Valley (where he was on a list of "100 most powerful people in Silicon Valley"), from 1965–2000. Today, Peters and his wife Susan Sargent live on a 1,600-acre working farm, "always under construction," in Vermont. His two stepsons, Max and Ben Cooper, are "busy chan ...more
“A man approached J. P. Morgan, held up an envelope, and said, “Sir, in my hand I hold a guaranteed formula for success, which I will gladly sell you for $25,000.” “Sir,” J. P. Morgan replied, “I do not know what is in the envelope; however, if you show me, and I like it, I give you my word as a gentleman that I will pay you what you ask.” The man agreed to the terms and handed over the envelope. J. P. Morgan opened it and extracted a single sheet of paper. He gave it one look, a mere glance, then handed the piece of paper back to the gent. And paid him the agreed-upon $25,000. On the paper… 1. Every morning, write a list of the things that need to be done that day. 2. Do them.” 0 likes
“I’ll bet (a pretty penny)… Bet #1: Five of ten CEOs see training as an expense rather than an investment. Bet #2: Five of ten CEOs see training as defense rather than offense. Bet #3: Five of ten CEOs see training as a necessary evil rather than a strategic opportunity. I’ll bet (many, many a pretty penny)… Bet #4: Eight of ten CEOs, in a forty-five-minute tour d’horizon of their business, would NOT mention training.” 0 likes