Start by marking “The Scholar” as Want to Read:
The Scholar

The Scholar

(Genoa Chronicles #1)

Anna is clearly different from others. With obvious physical differences and powerful abilities, she’s never quite fit in… anywhere. Having no knowledge of her parents, she sets out to discover her true origin. On the run for most of her life, she’s become a master at eluding capture, even a little cocky you might say. When a sticky situation forces her hand, she hitches a ...more
Published August 8th 2017 by Grayton Press

To ask other readers questions about The Scholar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scholar

Start your review of The Scholar
Jill Sanders
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed discovering the new amazing world of Genoa and all its magical creatures. What a fun paced crazy ride with great characters!
Cassie James
description
The Scholar is a book I have been looking forward to reading because I am a fan of both authors, so I do as really interested in seeing what they've come up with and I wasn't disappointed. In the vast sea of YA books, this is still a standout. The Scholar is about Anna, a girl who is well... Otherworldly. She is not like other humans, she has near translucent skin, amazing magical abilities and longevity of life. Anna has been mingling among humans for decades on the run from the villainous
Melissa
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, You will read about all new thrilling world and exchanging characters! -Anna was my favorite character. Jill does an amazing job in her writing. I got the opportunity to read this book for exchange for an honest review. Hope you get your copy pre-ordered it comes out November 21st. I'm thinking about getting this book for my son.
Ashley Rebmann
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! From page one you are pulled into an amazing adventure. The characters met along the way help carve out the story for Anna. Each page will have you wanting more. I loved the sci-fi aspect of this book, the magic and mystery.
Kirstie Ibrahim
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jj-anders
WOW! I really hated putting this down because I was enjoying it so much.

This is Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings and so much more. Full of magic and mystical animals from sprites and dragons to much more meaner uglier beasts. There's also Kings and Queens and Wizards and more. Full of mystery and deceit which has left me with a few different theories and outcomes in my mind......I can't wait for the next instalment.
Valerie Aliotta
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully written book. The book was about a fantasy kingdom, while reading it it made you feel as if you were in the kingdom. The story is about a Princess named Anna, it starts out with her being here on earth, but quickly changes to being in a magical kingdom.he kingdom is full of wizards and other wonderful creatures. It takes you on an adventure to get Anna back home safely. You start reading it you will not want to put it down. I can't hardly wait for the next book.
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent fantasy novel! I really enjoyed reading about Anna's journey as she discovers what she is meant to do. This book quickly drew me in and I couldn't stop reading! I am looking forward to book 2 in the series.
Heather Hollister
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is well written. It keeps your attention from the very first page. I love the land of Genoa. Anna is my favorite character. She is such a strong person. Anna is challenged by many things along her journey.
Nancy Chastain
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Julia David
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anna has always known she was different. She has been running for a good portion of her life. When she gets in a really tight spot, a wizard shows up and takes her away. The new world she lands in is different, but very familiar. Maybe she will get answers to her questions here.
Lisa
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc, romance, fantasy, ya
The Scholar by J. J. Anders is the first of two books in The Genoa Chronicles. It is a YA fantasy story about Anna a young girl who has never fit in on Earth. She knows she is different, all she has to do is look in the mirror and see her white hair and translucent skin to confirm this. She also has this unique magical gift where she can acquire all the knowledge in a book just by touching its cover.

Despite searching all her life, Anna has never found another like herself. She has absorbed
Ed
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was a little dubious as it's aimed at young adults, but it was totally engaging. Anna, our protagonist, knows in her heart of hearts, that she's different, and comes from "somewhere else". Little did she know, that she was from a whole different planet, where she gets returned into a dangerous plot by a tyrannical power crazed king. It's totally engaging, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series. Highly recommended!
Ed
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
T.J. Burns
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Teresa
Blurb:
The Genoa Chronicles 1
ZETTER
Origin!!!

Orden was a wizard and the Princess of Genoa (Magical world) Anna's protector. He made a terrible mistake many years ago by trusting the wrong person. He lost his life saving Anna. Now the fate of Genoa was in jeopardy and only the Princess could save a home she didn't remember.

Anna Reginal has always felt different from everyone around her. She had some amazing abilities. She needed to know where she came from and who her parents were.

She had learned long ago how to stay hidden. When
Patricia Myers
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story.Anna has magical powers and is trying to find out about herself. She has been on her own for most of her life and on the run. When she is almost captured she is saved by a Wizard who takes her to another world. She finds put she is a Princess who was exiled to Earth to save her.What follows in very interesting filled with dragons, wizards and much more!
I received a ARC of this book.
Spencer
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-read-it, read-it
This fast pace book keeps your nose in its cover. This magical story helps you travel to another world where all your fantasies come true. The heroine is kidnapped, chased and even dropped off a cliff all to escape her would be enemies, but she still manages to keep her witty personality. The hero struggles to understand the quests he has been charged with, all while trying to survive his home planet. Love the suspense and story and can't wait for book two where we will find out what it all ...more
Erica
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, fiction
I received a free ARC of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Anna knew she was different from others not only physically but she has abilities as well. Anna is left to search for answers about her identity after General Wilberg and his men kill her guardian. One day the General tracks her down, Anna is prepared to fight to the death, when suddenly she is rescued by a strange man. The man introduces himself as Wizard Leian from her home planet of Genoa and tells her he is
Cali Jewel
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extremely exciting and magical new world filled with danger and mystery, this is an emotionally thrilling, action packed and intriguing adventure.

Anna is not what she appears to be (your average teenage girl). She is so much more and most assuredly not of this world. In her search for answers to who she really is she comes across some very intriguing and exciting charters and travels to a magical world called Genoa (which she is told is her true home). Loved every heart pounding, thought
Hsu Lee
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC - I voluntarily offered to review this book with no obligations and my opinions are honest!
Anna is not like any other human girl.
She has been on the run from the general.
When she is rescued by Leian, she learns that she is from another word called Genoa.
In Genoa, she finds out that she is a daughter of a king.
Kriston was just following orders, but he knew that Anna was innocent.
This is a very rich storytelling.
I loved storytelling + the characters!
Beyond the Pages
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Woo hoo hoo!!! This book started with a bang, kept up the action, and YES...mic drop. It's my new favorite. This is the way to do the thing!

Rating: 5/5
Recommend: Yes
Status: PR, YA
Opp: NetGalley
Keeper: Yes
Want More: Absolutely Yes!
Kat
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Rating: 1.5 Stars
When I read the description for The Scholar, it held a lot of promise. Powers, destiny, adventure? Count me in! Unfortunately, the minute I started the book, the excitement quickly left. The author spends a lot of time describing how the characters look, which always annoys me because I feel like skilled authors manage to show you not tell you off you know what I mean. By the end, I had gotten very tired of hearing accounts of Anna's white hair, blue eyes, and beauty. The world
Sharon Tyler
The Scholar is the first book in the Genoa Chronicles series by JJ Anders. Anna is clearly different from others. With obvious physical differences and powerful abilities, she’s never quite fit in… anywhere. Having no knowledge of her parents, she sets out to discover her true origin. On the run for most of her life, she’s become a master at eluding capture, even a little cocky you might say. When a sticky situation forces her hand, she hitches a ride with a wizard, who whisks her away to ...more
Taylor Nguyen
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has SO much potential. The plot, the characters, the scene, just everything.

BUT the thing that disappointed me so heavily and left me saddened by the end was the continuous swap between what seemed like 20 characters and left me reeling from confusion. I found that I enjoyed the main character, but was unable to connect with her throughout the long and tedious and what seemed unnecessary point of view swaps.

Although if this book was in one main perspective, I do not doubt that the
Shawna
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
It was ok. Maybe that’s not quite right......the book was good and complex enough not to be an easy read but I just couldn’t get into. Most books I read I either don’t finish or read straight through and don’t sleep. This one wasn’t the case. I liked it enough to keep reading little bits here and there but not enough to keep going. Again the world is neat, the characters are developed and intriguing, maybe it was just me.
Neil
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This was an exciting fantasy which certainly grew the further I got into the story.
The characters are really engaging and you want to see how they grow as the story progresses.
Well worth a read.
crystal smith
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Cant wait to read more. I hope anna can save her country and find family she longing for. Ready for next book
Victoria Loewen
The storyline is cool and has promise to build into something more. There's powers that are being discovered/honed, fate of the world rests on protagonist, and we even have time to check out a guy. I just think there was a bit too much going on. There are multiple perspectives throughout, although our main POV is through the heroine's eyes. Anna is searching for her family's history to see where she came from as she obviously isn't just human. When she's rescued by a wizard from another world, ...more
Jennifer Chadwick
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with interesting characters. I loved the snake people and look forward to seeing what happens in the following installments!
Building a SciFi/...: 5 star fantasy book 1 19 Jan 08, 2018 07:07PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: 5 start Fantasy book 1 9 Jan 08, 2018 07:04PM
Urban Fantasy: 5 star Fantasy Book 1 21 Jan 08, 2018 07:02PM
Shut Up & Read: 5 star fantasy book 1 3 Jan 08, 2018 06:58PM
Paranormal Romanc...: 5 star Fantasy Book 1 16 Jan 08, 2018 06:53PM
The Sword and Laser: JJ Anders 5 star Fantasy Book 1 20 Jan 08, 2018 06:51PM

• Next Door (Chloe Fine Mystery #1)
  • Resurrection (Immortal Soulless, #1)
  • Snarl (Kate Redman Mysteries, #4)
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • Dark Hunt (Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Soulbound (Return of the Elves, #1)
  • Devil's Nightmare (Devil's Nightmare #1)
  • Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker, #1)
  • Rear-View Murder (Gemma Stone #1)
  • The Shopkeep : A Morbid Tale (The Morbid Tales Book 1)
  • Dog Collar Crime (A Lucie Rizzo Mystery, #1)
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Black Diamond Death (Sloane Monroe #1)
  • Lies Come True (Avery Hart Trilogy, #1)
  • New Corpse In Town (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #1)
  • War Begins Book One
  • Lost Souls: Dystopian Paranormal Teen Romance (Mending Magic Series Book 1)
  • Interview with a Ghost
JJ Anders is the pseudonym used by the powerhouse writing duo of NY Times & USA Today bestselling author, Jill Sanders and her identical twin sister, Jody Luft. Hailing from the Pacific Northwest, these two talented ladies have merged their creative forces to craft an amazing new fantasy series that will leave you begging for more.

With over forty bestselling romance books and counting, Jill

Genoa Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Warrior