Start by marking “Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes: The Assassins Who Changed History” as Want to Read:
Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes: The Assassins Who Changed History

Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes: The Assassins Who Changed History

“A history of the twentieth century punctuated by gunshots. . . . An exciting account.” --Sunday Telegraph (UK)

Exploding telephones, pipe-guns, bullets made of teeth, aspirin explosives, cobra-venom darts, a rifle that shoots around corners, exploding clams, samurai swords, karate chops, poisoned umbrellas, and a fuel-laden light aircraft. Sometimes even a regular gun. The
Published August 5th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes

Yael
Jun 18, 2015 Yael rated it really liked it
Over the last fifty-eight years, assassins have used everything from exploding telephones and cobra venom darts to pipe guns, bullets made of teeth, rifles that shoot around corners, samurai swords, exploding clams, karate chops, aspirin explosives, poisoned umbrellas, and fuel-laden light aircraft to achieve their objectives -- and, sometimes, regular guns. Those are some of the methods that have been used over the last six decades to send more than four thousand powerful, very important people ...more
Theresa
Aug 29, 2008 Theresa rated it liked it
Not so much about the assassins as it is about the assassinations and their effect on the world. Apparently, an attempt on Truman's life was nearly successful, there really was an umbrella of death, genocide in Rwanda was sparked when the preseident's wife had him killed and blamed it on the other guys, and Uday Hussein was a sadistic psycho. Overall, an interesting read though on occasion, the author writes as those certain things are fact when they are merely suspected so it would have been ni ...more
Melissa Rochelle
Oct 02, 2008 Melissa Rochelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned, nonfiction
If you're at all interested in the world we live in and how it came to be this way...then read this book. It's crazy to read about all of these people that are murdered for absolutely insane reasons, or for NO reason whatsoever. AND if you like statistics, this book has 'em! Want to know what day is most popular for a head of state to be assassinated, it's Friday!

While I didn't finish the book, I only read the first 19 chapters (of 36) it's not because I didn't like it...it's that reading about
Rachel
Jul 26, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
It's hard to rate this book because it was a good and interesting book but I had to keep put it down a couple times because it got repetitive with account after account and there's only so many accounts of killing important figures I can take in one sitting. 3.5 stars because it definitely was a good read. One of those books that's good for reading 4 or 5 chapters while waiting for something, then picking it up a couple days later and continuing.
Vince
Mar 05, 2009 Vince rated it it was amazing
Excellent book although it's odd that the author has never met the possibility of a conspiracy theory that he could embrace. He devotes around 7 pages per assasination, just enough for the facts and the aftermath. the author has come to the conclusion that political murder does frequently achieve it's desired results. A good, brisk read.
Tim
Jul 12, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
I learned a fair amount about very famous assassinations. The stories were at times hard to keep straight, but I think that in part is due to the number of assassinations in warring countries. An interesting change for true crime readers who need a break from serial killers.
David Ward
Feb 05, 2010 David Ward rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, crime
Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes: The Assassins Who Changed History by Kris Hollington (Thomas Dunne Books 2007) (364.1524). This book bills itself as “ an experienced investigative reporter exposes the world of assassination.” I think not. DNF. My rating: 2/10, finished 2009.
Julie
Aug 13, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Another three and a half star rating. This was interesting, and exhaustively researched, but not as compelling as I had hoped. I've had such good luck this summer with my non-fiction choices, too.
Brittany W.
May 08, 2014 Brittany W. rated it it was ok
It started off interesting but I quickly lost interest after that.
Papajack
Feb 03, 2009 Papajack rated it liked it
Interesting point of view.
Aaron Murray
Sep 04, 2008 Aaron Murray rated it it was ok
Historically interesting, but a lot of the gore is done in bad taste and sensationalized.
Jon Garrett
Jon Garrett rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2009
Cledger
Cledger rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2014
Emmie
Emmie rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2008
Jeri
Jeri rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2011
R.
R. rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Rizwan Farooq
Rizwan Farooq rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Taylor Vecchio
Taylor Vecchio rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2008
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2012
Christopher Gordon
Christopher Gordon rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2012
Clint Fay
Clint Fay rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Christopher Gordon
Christopher Gordon rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
H.
H. rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Marco
Marco rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Liz V.
Liz V. rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Curtis Johnson
Curtis Johnson rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016