Start by marking “Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings” as Want to Read:

(Kim Reaper #1-4)

Part-Time Grim Reaper. Full-Time Cutie!

Like most university students, Kim works a part-time job to make ends meet. Unlike most university students, Kim's job is pretty cool: she's a grim reaper, tasked with guiding souls into the afterlife.

Like most university students, Becka has a super intense crush. Unlike most university students, Becka's crush is on a beautiful gothic
Published March 13th 2018 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Kim Reaper Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kim Reaper Vol. 1

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー)
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Diversity does not equal a good book

I love diversity in comics.

Image result for saga marko and alana

It can enrich a story dramatically and act as a backdrop for enhancing the story. Kim Reaper focuses so much on diversity and representation that the story falls absolutely flat and relies on internet humour that is subpar.

"Characters"
I'm not too fond of Kim. I don't like Becka much either. The plot is centred around internet and humour found in Gravity Falls. I d
[Shai] Bibliophage
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you encountered a soul reaper? I would be curious just like Becka and I will hide to watch what that reaper will do. But I would never have the guts to talk to him/her, no matter how tame-looking that reaper looks like. However, Becka is quite different because aside from the fact that she's a very inquisitive character, she likes Kim the Reaper. Because of this, Becka got entangled with Kim's situation and problems as a reaper.
The story of Kim Reaper is narrated in both th
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Kim Reaper is a positively adorable story about two college girls falling in love and fighting baddies! Becka is an innocent baker looking for a fun date with her crush, only to find out that her crush, Kim, is a part-time grim reaper! Antics ensue, and the entire ordeal is precious, hilarious, fun, and diverse! While the writing was cheesy and young at points, I had so much fun reading Kim Reaper and would totally pick up the next volume.

Thank you to Oni Press and NetGalley for providing me wi
Schizanthus
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings combines the first four issues of this fun new series. Becka and Kim are both studying fine arts at university but Becka’s crush on Kim, which consists of staring dreamily at the back of her head in class, is the sum total of their interaction. Becka’s friend Tyler finally convinces her to ask Kim out so after class she follows Kim, who disappears into a portal in the corridor.

Naturally this is a job for social media so Becka gets ready to capture this moment f
I am not a graphic novel type of girl, but oh boy!, this was so good. Cute, funny and exciting. I enjoyed the introduction of characters that were not heterosexual, and the overall premise of Kim having a part time job as a grim reaper. Can't wait to read the next one when it comes out!

Special Thanks:
Special thanks to the publisher and author for providing me with an advanced reader copy of this book through NetGalley. Please consider me in the future for any works published by this author.

My
Chad
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Too cutesy and squee for me. Becka has a crush on Kim Reaper. She accidentally gets pulled into one of Kim's jobs as a grim reaper while trying to ask Kim out. The rest of book revolves around Kim's reaping job. There's a lot of stream of consciousness story here and no larger plotting going on. It almost feels like a web comic where it's just a couple of jokes and then you return the next day for another dose of the same thing.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
*ARC provided by netgalley. Opinions are my own*

Book #1 finished for #SapphicAThon

This was really funny and a quick read. I really liked the premise and the execution was okay. There's not much depth to the plot or characters but that's okay for such a comic, it promised to be funny and to have a cute and diverse f/f relationship and it definitely delivered on that part.
Andrew
*Received from Netgalley*

This was a really awesome and sweet graphic novel that I'm curious to see where it goes, though the writing did get a bit annoying at times. Just the way the characters spoke made me groan, but apart from that, it was pretty unique and sweet.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was so goddamn cute I can't even handle it. I was giggling to myself while reading it. I couldn't get over how cute Becka is. The little hair buns! Her little tummy!! Honestly, seeing that she had a little tummy outline all the time gave me life. Plus this funny and goofy and has a cute little romance. Definitely lives up to the premise.
Kim Reaper is an adorable graphic novel about a college baker who gets swept up in her crush's drama with her job as a grim reaper. The storyline was interesting, but I did feel there was a certain something missing. Perhaps it went a little too fast for me, or maybe it just went in a strange direction. However, the graphic novel was really easy and quick to read, and for the most part, I did enjoy it - especially the parts where Becka and Kim interact and talk to one another.

All in all, Kim Re
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Personal rating: 4.5
"It's full of skeletons and junk, and I have a skeleton inside of me. Which makes me goth Tyler"

The book gods have answered and have granted us the cutest graphic novel of the lands!!

We are first introduced to Becka who has a MAJOR SERIOUS crush on this goth chick named Kim in her class. She follows Kim down a hallway trying to get her attention when all of a sudden, Kim walks into a portal that looks similarly to a vortex of death. Low and behold, Kim is actually a part time
anna (readingpeaches)
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What a wild ride, holy shit!! I was honestly in love from the very first page when our protagonist said she definitely is at uni to stare at btfl girls... I mean, talk abt relatable content!!

So yeah, this is a story abt Becka and the goth girl she has a crush on, Kim, who's a grim reaper. Totally no big deal, that happens all the time, right. They get into some hilarious & ridiculous shenanigans together,
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

This was so cute!!

Mega Super Cute!!!

If you enjoyed Lumberjanes, Moonstruck, Coady and the Creepies, or Space Battle Lunchtime then I think you will enjoy this too. It definitely gets a bit ridiculous at times ...

..but it's a lot of fun and I'm definitely loving this new trend of cute/hilarious/paranormal/queer comics that have been coming out lately. Definitely recommend this!

Also here's some bonus footage of Actual Me trying to be goth lol

#same
Greyson [Use Your Words]
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.

This was such an amazingly fun read. It was a light-hearted adventure and it was quite funny. I really enjoyed the sense of humor and the relationship between Becka and Kim.
If you're looking for an adorable and light graphic novel, this is a good choice.
___
BlogInstagramTwitterTumblr
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Hmm wanted to like this but it fell pretty flat for me, both in terms of random meandering plot with no consequences for anyone's actions and superficial characters that didn't feel like real people and whose relationships felt rushed. Plus, the internet speak that everyone talks in is super annoying. Some of the art is cute but nothing to write home about. Eveb the queer romance couldn't save it. Too bad. ☹ ...more
Fanna
A collection overloaded with cuteness that stars a sweet f/f romance while an underworld cast supports the main characters. The art is definitely my favorite bit because while the writing was resonating with the young adult demographic of the characters, it wasn't what stood out the most to me but the character sketches and that grim-purple color scheme really did. Will definitely look out for the next installments and will recommend this to everyone who's looking for a cute and different love s ...more
Manon
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, lgbtqqiap
*3.75 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Kim Reaper : Grim Beginnings was a very cute story about two girls, falling in love and haunting ghosts.
It was extremely cute, even a little too cute at times. It barely made sense sometimes…
It was so short, I barely had time to get attached to the characters and it all felt a bit too rushed…
Still, it was wonderfully gay and adorable.

Jennika
This was super cute, and the premise really drew me in. There wasn't a lot of depth to the story though. I didn't really have a connection with the characters, and I felt like the story was kind of all over the place. We were jumping from one thing to another so quickly.

It was just okay for me. I did enjoy the artwork, and I think a lot of other people will really like it though, especially if they're looking for a cute, quick read.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in excha
Artemis
Kim Reaper.

Wow, did you surprise me.

I really enjoyed this comic. It's from 2017-2018, it's set in 2018, and the 2000's fangirl/emo/goth phase zeitgeist is painted gloriously all over it. Like, imagine your super-goth subculture-inspired tween fanfiction - sparked by the likes of Evanescence and Within Temptation - got mixed up with every modern cartoon you can think of, such as 'Rick and Morty' (makes sense, since the author, Sarah Graley, did write a 'Rick and Morty' comic), 'Adventure Time',
Joany Vries
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free digital copy of this book from Netgally in exchange for my honest review.*

I lack the words to describe the cuteness of this book. It was such a fun entertaining read and the illustrations were totally adorable.

The story is about Kim, who is a part time grim reaper to put herself through college. And it’s about Becka, a fiercely sweet girl with a huge crush on Kim. When Becka accidentally follows Kim to work our story begins.

This book is funny, adorable and heartwearming. I e
Helena Summers
Thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for providing me with an ARC! All opinions are my own.

Two girls at uni who fall in love and fight monsters together - what's not to like? This was such a fresh, light and fun read. The characters are total opposites: Becka is a cute girl who works at a bakery and whose main problem is making her crush notice her; Kim is a gothic girl who helps souls cross to the other side for a living. I'd say it's precisely their differences what makes their relationship so
Leah
Oh I loved this! I mean, a girl crushing on a goth girl in her art history class who turns out to be a part-time grim reaper?! There's a seriously case of instalove but whatevs, the rest of the comic was great enough to let that part slide.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I have been eyeing this book (and well this comic) for a long time. Ever since Sarah posted bits and pieces of it, told us about it, showed the comic issues. I knew I wanted it. But I wanted to wait for the bundled volume to come out as it isn’t easy to find the issues.

This book is about Kim, but also about Becka. We see things happen from both perspectives, and I loved that. We see Becka (whom I loved instantly) and her crush o
Dorine
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is the cutest little comic ever!
I already knew Sarah Graley from her adorable comics on facebook about her and her boyfriend. And this comic definitely didn't fail my expectations! It was just as cute and funny as her other comics.

It reminded me a bit of Steven Universe. It has really goofy humor which never failed to make me giggle, it was really weird (but fun) fantasy aspects, the art style is also really goofy with sometimes really fun derpy faces, but at the same time, it deals with ve
Milliebot
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Comics can be tough to talk about without giving too much away, so I wanted to do something different this time. I’ve compiled a quick list of all the things I love about the comic (spoiler: it’s basically everything).

+ The art style – I won’t read a graphic novel or comic if I don’t like the art style. I started out following Graley on Tumblr and Instagram, so I already knew I loved her style. This has the same cutesy style, but Kim has more edge than Graley’s autobiographical comics. Also, the
Renata
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh, I read this earlier this year and apparently forgot to review it. It's v cute! The reaping plot is definitely backseat to the cute romance and that is just fine by me.
Maygirl7
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Smiled like a fool while reading in a waiting room.
Leigha
This is a fun, quite ridiculous story, but I mean that in the best way possible.

I did feel it started a little slow, but picked up quickly; I believe this is because at first, I wasn't sure where the story was going to go or what the point of the opening scene was, because it was just of Becka crushing on Kim, and I hoped the whole book wouldn't be like that, because I found it boring.

Luckily, there is so much sustenance to the book than just crushes. (Not that there is anything wrong with havin
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute! Both of the main characters are pretty kick-ass chicks. Kim was supposed to be the Grim Reaper, so this iconic thing, but I think Becka was the bravest one. I hope there will be more of this story because I would love to see what happens with the promised futures of both girls.
Jim
Weird.

Maybe that’s ok?

It started out really cute, but the cat-man was…I can’t even.

I couldn’t tell what age it’s intended for. For the silliness factor, it seems like elementary school. But the story itself seems like more early YA.

I like the art.

I like the story.

I like the characters.

But the writing was weird. The pacing was off. It seemed to jump around. Almost like the author wasn’t sure where it was going and kind of wrote it on the fly. It seems like something that might have been se
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 2: A Recipe for Disaster
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • Ghost Friends Forever #1
  • Dead Weight: Murder at Camp Bloom
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
  • Archival Quality
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Husbands
  • Someone Is Killing the Gay Boys of Verona
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • Wynonna Earp Volume 1: Homecoming (Wynonna Earp #1-6)
  • Check, Please! Year Two