Start by marking “Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals” as Want to Read:
Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals

Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals

We all want to live a life that matters. We all want to reach our full potential. But too often we find ourselves overwhelmed by the day-to-day. Our big goals get pushed to the back burner--and then, more often than not, they get forgotten. New York Times bestselling author Michael Hyatt wants readers to know that it doesn't have to be this way. In fact, he thinks that ...more
Published January 2nd 2018 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Your Best Year Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Best Year Ever

Start your review of Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals
Jami Balmet
Based on Michael’s first two books that I loved (Platform and Living Forward), I had high hopes for this book. But I was very disappointed. Michael use to teach solid, step by step approaches to creating a platform, writing, and setting goals. But like his podcast that I seldom listen to anymore, this book was more fluff and stories than anything else. For anyone who has ever read anything on setting goals, you can probably skip this book. I kept waiting to get to the meat - but sadly never did! ...more
Anna LeBaron
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am delighted that Michael Hyatt's "Best Year Ever" program is now in book form!

I have used his program for five years in a row to set goals for each year and then accomplish so many of them, year after year! This has been a game-changer for me. Actually, a LIFE-CHANGER! Since I began using these proven methods I have become a published author and started a new career!

Imagine setting goals and then actually following through and doing the work required to reach them! How would that change
Trisha
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a healthy suspicion of any guarantees of making a certain life for ourselves is good, unless what's being offered are promises from God's Word. We are not the captain of our souls, even though many live as though we are. This type of book is somewhat of an unusual read for me, but after seeing it recommended a couple of times by a teacher I greatly admire, I decided to give it a read. We make our plans, and God directs our steps; that reminder was never given in this book, at least not ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Nothing groundbreaking here. Lots of secret Jesus though. It felt like he brought god up in every other page. Also used lots of Bible anecdotes. Sorry, no, if I want to read the Bible (I don't), I'll read the freaking Bible. While there are lots of concrete, action-oriented points in here, there's also a lot of positive thinking nonsense. He cites a lot of research studies with small samples of mostly college students, and the whole book felt very White and Privileged (tm) in a way that made me ...more
Misty Beller
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional book for anyone. Whether you're a go-getter and want to move to the next level personally and professionally, or whether you're just tired of slogging through the same ol' rut, this book is a must-read.

I've set goals for years, some I've accomplished and some I haven't. I love the way the author gives tools to examine all aspects of our lives and find the areas where we want to take action. The book then takes us step-by-step through creating goals that stretch us, then
Melissa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given the time of year, I picked up this book to add to what I already know about goal-setting and to hopefully learn another approach. The trick will be whether I go through the steps Hyatt lays out moving into 2019. He provides simple enough examples throughout, as well as sample templates for the two types of goals he mentions in the book within the appendix (Achievement Goals and Habit Goals).
I would recommend this book to individuals exploring options to improve goal setting and
Karin
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I feel like you can't really review a lifehack/ self help book immediately upon completion, but I really like how action oriented this book was. This is a very clear action path for how to make changes over a year by analyzing your current situation, goal setting and periodic review. I did follow along with the exercises, so I guess I'll know for sure in a few months! Very easy to process through audio imo.
Brandon Kelley
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me gain clarity for 2018 and has given me a great process for taking steps toward the things I believe God is calling me to in the next 12 months. Whether you've given up on New Year's Resolutions/Goals or if you're a goal-setter already, this book is a great tool to move forward personally, professionally, and even putting together a plan to grow your faith. Highly recommended.
Ricky
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am thrilled for Michael’s new book. I have read both Platform and Living Forward and was thrilled when he announced he would be sharing his Best Year Ever content in book format. I am about 2/3 of the way though his book and it is proving to be just as beneficial as the other two. What I love about this book is the simple actionable step by step process Michael walks you though to accomplish what he promises. I recommend this book because I believe it will help you identify, define and achieve ...more
Allysia K
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I'll be reviewing this closer to the end of the year to really get clear on my 2019 goals, but I did a lot of work and journaling as I read this book and I'm already super pumped for next year.

The first few chapters on an abundance mindset and perspective was something I'm well-versed in already, but I see the importance of starting with that. Michael is a practical writer who gives clear action steps, which is exactly what I was looking for.
John Richards
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I try to read some Michael Hyatt content to start the year every year. Last year I read his co-authored Living Forward book. That one left a lot to be desired.

This book is different. Hyatt is my go-to guru for goal setting. I use a modified version of his Evernote system for my own personal goal setting. Though I haven't taken his 5 Days to Your Best Year Ever, I'm pretty sure this book captures everything he teaches in that course.

A few things that caught my attention.

"If you already have
Jay
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
I have enjoyed listening to Michael Hyatt’s low key success podcasts and listening to his self-narrated audiobooks. He has a comforting voice with a bit of contagious call to action that he adds to what he publishes. Given his earlier book called “Platform” described how he had combined all kinds of media to get his message across and build his business, it’s no wonder that this platform master needs to create content for his own platform – his mix of social media, podcasts, books, training, ...more
A.L. Chittur
The latest from leadership developer and writer Michael Hyatt, Your Best Year Ever is apparently a companion to an online course called “5 Steps To Your Best Year Ever”.

The book read quickly, each part is comprised of several chapters and capped by a multi-step “Action Plan” that distills the advice you’ve just read into a checklist of sorts. I liked the practical nature of the book and will likely use some, if not all, of the action plan steps in the coming months.

For negatives, I think the
Anick Globensky-bromow
I am usually a big fan of the content Michael Hyatt puts out. But this time, I did not find the value in the content. I also bought his course, 5 days to your best year ever, and was disappointed that I did not learn a thing, except from his acronym SMARTER which basically added two letters to a wildly known SMART goal. Nothing groundbreaking here. Maybe I read too much about goal setting in the past, but I felt like this book was just putting together what others have already taught about goal ...more
Joli Hamilton
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent strategy guide for developing new habits and achieving goals. I only wish Hyatt didn’t fall into the trap of using almost all male examples in his anecdotal case studies. It sticks out like a sore thumb and becomes grating quickly. That said, the info is solid and tracks to my prior knowledge of growth oriented research results, so I will keep it on my coaching bookshelf.
Ericka Clouther
I think that if you like books in this goal-setting genre, this one is pretty good. I'll probably also buy a copy for reference. I have to admit, I really love the title (maybe to a bias-forming level). *Warning! This review is more like note-taking on the book than a real summary. It's definitely more valuable if you take some notes on it.

Some of my favorite parts of the book were in the first introductory chapter:
1. Starts with a story about the amazing results of resilience. "Stay in the game
Dan
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many, many books on setting and achieving goals. What sets Your Best Year Ever spare from all the others? Honestly, not much. The material covered is pretty well known: SMART goals (Hyatt adds ER to make them SMARTER), understanding the “why” behind a goal, making a plan, getting help, employing an accountability buddy, etc. Goal setting has been covered so well over the decades, we should all be experts at accomplishing our dreams by now. So why did Michael Hyatt feel the importance ...more
Kalyn Barrick
This book does have some good information in it. The idea of setting goals in pairs such as "write a book" as the large goal and "write 200 words a day" as the steps to get that goal, is definitely something that can help keep you organized, motivated and intentional on achieving your goals. Additionally, if you had never read a self-help book then this would be a great place to start since he quotes word for word 15 other self-help writers. This is basically a "best of" any similar book written ...more
Jason Hoschouer
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a follower of Michael Hyatt's for years. His no-nonsense approach to goal setting is second to none. The timing of this release is perfect as it will allow me to finish out 2017 on a high and jump into 2018 with clear direction and purpose.

The best part of this book is Hyatt's assertion that goals often bleed into one another and setting a single goal isn't particularly realistic. When I'm focusing on something personal, I need to realize it may be impacting my work life as well.
Jason Cox
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Highly recommended.

I read this after attending Michael Hyatt's Your Best Year Ever, Live conference in early January. It's a great resource for getting yourself to maximize your efficiency to accomplish what is really important to you. It goes into depth about goal setting. Daily evaluation of how you are spending your time. Keeping you focused on those goals.

This is a super choice to read starting right now, as the new year is just around the corner. I'm going to put this on my
Karen Roth
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like Michael’s approach to goal setting and execution. In the business world I’ve experienced many times developing meaningful goals, but with difficulty in actually achieving them and keeping them relevant. This book is very straightforward and gives the tools to make achieving your goals a much greater possibility. This book works well with Michael’s Full Focus Planner to actually have a system to make your actions bring your goals to life.
Sarah Tang
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great book with practical advice on how to prioritize and set goals. It definitely gave me a clearer sense of the things I was doing wrong and how I had previously gotten in the way of myself. I would recommend this book to anyone who is feeling at a loss and confused in their life direction.
Tina
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found it very practical, but also inspiring. It was helpful to learn the difference between habit goals and achievement goals and how to leverage habits to reach achievement goals. The book was an easy read, but implementing it will definitely be work. But work well worth the effort if it leads to my best year ever!
Bradley
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great template to start progressing on your goals and dreams

This was an incredible book and I’m so glad that I bought this! Easily one of the best books on goal setting and planning that I have ever read. Michael puts out some great products and I’ve already experienced a great change in my own goal progress by using some of these resources.

I easily recommend this book to anyone who loves to read, wants to win at achieving their goals, and current and future leaders.
Terry Maguire
This is one of the best books about goal-setting that I've ever read. Hyatt offers excellent templates for different types of goals & offers a realistic & pragmatic approach to maintaining peak efficiency. His discussion of lead vs. lag measures & the importance of focusing on the former is compelling. I desperately wish he'd write a version of this book for young adults because the advice contained within it is so valuable (though the anecdotes are ones adults will relate to). I ...more
Chris Turnbaugh
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Great recommendations

This book, although at times a little cheesy, contained a lot of great tips. Especially for a list-lover like myself! I definitely feel like I'll accomplish more. Most of my "goals" in the past have been more like wishes. I think I can structure goals to make those wishes happen now.
Konstantin
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not new to setting goals, by my approach has never been as consistent and clear as described in this book. Though technically I still have to live through the year to see if the book helped me to achieve my goals, I already see things differently now.
Eric Lunt
Definitely a quick read, kind of does that self-help thing of there really only being one idea, but you need to sandwich that into a hundred pages on either side of it.

My recommendation is to just read Chapter 7, which is very good and helpful, and I plan to implement the ideas in my own life. The rest was more or less filler IMHO.
Dale Callahan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and effective. Seems overkill at times, but having done this method for 2 years in a row (of goal setting) I am finding the meaning of the tools. The book starts out forcing you to address limiting beliefs. At first, I balked - but then I started to just do it and had my eyes opened. (and I teach this stuff so I should know better).

Then he has you write a regret list. Again - I thought silly. But when I wrote it, I got it. This is so critical I now read this list every day to keep me from
Dawn CM
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Great motivation to start the year.
Play Book Tag: Your Best Year Ever by Michael Hyatt 4 Stars 4 16 Dec 16, 2018 10:52AM
complet the Past 1 8 Dec 26, 2017 12:39PM

• Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decisions, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms
  • The Loyalist Team: How Trust, Candor, and Authenticity Create Great Organizations
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Creating Great Choices: A Leader's Guide to Integrative Thinking
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • So You're about to Be a Teenager: Godly Advice for Preteens on Friends, Love, Sex, Faith, and Other Life Issues
  • What’s the Big Deal?: Why God Cares About Sex (God’s Design for Sex #3)
  • The Miracle Morning for Couples: Create Legendary Connections One Morning at a Time
  • The Bravest You: Five Steps to Fight Your Biggest Fears, Find Your Passion, and Unlock Your Extraordinary Life
  • The 12 Week Year
  • When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing
  • Fast/Forward: Make Your Company Fit for the Future
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
“From a Christian perspective Jesus not only knew what these people needed, he could instantly heal them. But he didn’t. Instead, he asked them to declare what they wanted. It seems their apparent need was not their greatest need. More than healing, they needed clarity.” 2 likes
“I can do anything I want. I just can’t do everything I want.” 1 likes