Start by marking “Anna Undreaming (The Metiks Fade Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna Undreaming (The Metiks Fade Trilogy #1)

Anna Undreaming

(The Metiks Fade Trilogy #1)

Anna is a student surviving the city, and she lives by a simple credo, “Never play their game; their game is always rigged.” For every man she has ever known, it’s a saying that has served her well.

That all changes on the night of “The Big Storm,” when Anna is slipped a date rape drug. Though she saves herself and her best friend, Anna is lost to the dark heart of the city
Published March 20th 2018 by Owl Hollow Press

To ask other readers questions about Anna Undreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna Undreaming

Start your review of Anna Undreaming (The Metiks Fade Trilogy #1)
Jessica
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I haven’t read much urban fantasy before so I had no idea what to expect going in, but I ended up loving this book.

This book gave me a ton of Alice in Wonderland vibes especially in the second half, which I was totally digging since I love Alice in Wonderland. The book had the same dream-like quality and mad characters that Alice in Wonderland has.

The premise of the book was so creative. People with the ability to bu
Jasmine
***Actual rating: 5/5 Brightly Burning Stars***

In a world of dwindling light, you’re a bonfire in the night.

Wow, reading this book is truly a mind-blowing journey. Anna Undreaming is a YA dark urban fantasy about a young lady, Anna, discovering her capabilities of wielding the four major Metik powers—the Will, the Word, the Sight and the Sword—by exploring some imaginary places created by the Dreamers called the Hazes.
The writhing shapes in the shadows forced her to look
Bianca Visagie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Read more at www.yourwordsmyink.com

What a rollercoaster ride of a book. I enjoyed every minute of it. Welch created a believable world that I would love to get lost in. I love urban fantasy and this book blended the real world and the fantasy worlds created by the Dreamers together seamlessly. The book comes with a glossary of terms, but I never once looked at it because it was so easy to follow Teej's explanations and understand the mythology of the world. Exposition is done really well and in
Nora Eliana | Papertea & Bookflowers
Full review to come later but I’m can already tell you that this book will 100% make my 2020 best books of the year list!! Pinky promise!
It’s just soooo good? The writing is incredibly beautiful?! And I’m just in awe! 😱😍❤️
JK
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle

Especially when Anna becomes lost to the dark heart of the city. She finds herself hunted by Dreamers--artists, both good and evil, who construct new worlds--within a complex community that threatens to undermine reality itself. When Anna learns that she's an Undreamer with powers she cannot yet compr
Louise White
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly addictive, What’s not to love about Anna Undreaming! It’s an inspired, atmospheric fantasy, accessible for the genre and is sure to leave fans shouting for more.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
UPDATE: I enjoyed this book so much that I bought myself a Kindle copy so I can re-read it on the go when the mood strikes me! I'm also doing a flash giveaway on Twitter for three copies, more info & enter here!
"A spark caught, and she felt something awaken. Something angry and defiant."
This is a book that has haunted me and my physical TBR shelf since May 2018. Anna Undreaming was the first physical book that I was sent for review and one that I have been really excited to read, but
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna Undreaming by Thomas Welsh has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

Pauline Barclay
Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Jenny Balsamo
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-copies
We are surrounded by art. The framed photograph hanging on our walls, the music we hear through the radio, even the books that we are reading are forms of art. Whether we admire these things or not, they greatly influence our feelings and perspectives. However, many individuals fail to realize how art affects our daily lives.

Now imagine these masterpieces are used to alter the realities of life in the present world. Indeed, it opens a lot of possibilities a human mind can possibly imagine. Howev
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I received a review copy from the publisher. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

3.5 stars.

The premise and general mood of this novel are so unique; it really conveys that creepy but slightly hazy (pun intended) feeling of a bad dream — come to think of it, the vibe reminds me a bit of the TV show Falling Water (which I had not realized had a second season! After finishing this book, I kind of want to watch it now, inevitable nightmares notwithstanding).

Anna's character is wonderfully n
Amy Elliott (lit.obsessed76)
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
✴This book was given to me for free in exchange for my honest review.✴
Anna Undreaming is a fantastic thrill ride! It is a very special and unique book. Before writing this review, I had to take a little time to savor it and digest it because there is so much depth to the story and the characters. I knew it was going to be a difficult book to review, for me anyways, because I just adore everything about it and I wanted to do it justice, but it's hard to break down a story with so much to it into
Amanda Evans
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thomas Welsh’s debut novel is an inventive story that pulls on the heartstrings and introduces a character in Anna that will resonate with many.

A broken widow, a world unseen, and a battle for life itself.

Torn apart by grief and trying desperately to battle the pull of desolation, Anna is tossed into a world where she can choose to fight for survival or have her wish for death granted.

When Anna stumbles into a Haze her whole world as she knows it changes. Attacked and fighting for her life, the
Anthony Redden
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever stood in awe of an artist’s masterful paint strokes? Or had your breath taken away by a beautiful sculpture? Have you ever been transported to wondrous worlds of make-believe within the pages of a book? There is no denying that there are many talented, creative people in the world, some have talent so remarkable that they might seem to possess magical powers. Masters of their craft, able to conduct our emotions and manipulate the way we see and think. In Anna Undreaming, we are int ...more
Charlotte
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a YA dark fantasy novel, although, I don't think it's all that dark, but that's personal opinion. This all starts with two girlfriends going out to get some drinks. Anna and her friend Sue run into a charismatic guy named Dean who Sue liked immediately, but Anna has the same thought for all men "Never play their game. Their game is always rigged." Dean turns out to be a slimeball who drugs the drinks of women so they do what he wants. After Anna was drugged her life was changed forever.
Benjamin Thomas
Anna Undreaming was a fast-paced, throw everything in the world at you thriller that kept me turning pages (digital ones on my kindle) until there were no more left to turn. The novel follows Anna, an Undreamer, as she traverses worlds and realities derived through art, while trying to find her place in the madness. Welsh does a fantastic job illustrating these various locations and settings while never losing the reader in too much detail. I highly recommend this novel for fans of portal fantas ...more
NanaHarps
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner! I love Anna and how Welsh guides us along her journey into this dark twisted world of artists and metiks. It's really refreshing to have a strong female that gets things done and saves herself instead of being a damsel! The world that Welsh crafted is really rich and imaginative- from the settings to all the diferent dreamers powers. I can't wait for part 2.
If you're into strong female characters and magical things happening in a real world seting - Anna Undreaming is for you
Darby Karchut
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a wild ride! The world building, the character's growth, and the twists and turns of the plot made this such a page turner. And the author's word-smithing skills were top notch. Anna Dreaming is the debut novel by Thomas Welsh. He is officially going on my "author to watch" list.
Abigail
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, book-club
Did I read the same book as these other people? Unlikable characters, poor world building, plot points that don't make sense, uninteresting plot, silly and uninformative descriptions and terminology...Not sure why I finished this book.
Jules.Bookverse
I'm done!! First of all, I'm sooo excited that I finally managed to finish this book and get out of a smaller reading slump due to being sick. I hate when you're getting sick to the point where you can't focus for a long time and this book definitely had me want and need to focus while exploring a new high fantasy - with some sci-fi features - world.

I want to thank the author for sending me this great book and waiting so long for me to review it due to writing my master thesis!

So now to the bo
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Haley Renee by: Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Shelves: earcs
I was lucky enough to receive this book from Thomas Welsh and Owl Hollow Press after responding to a tweet about a review copy. My review is honest and given with no strings attached! But still, a big THANK YOU to the and Kal who strongly recommended this book!

It's rare to get a good dark urban fantasy [It's one of the reasons I became enamoured by Holly Black but I digress] but this one was a very good dark urban fantasy. It was creepy without being too much if you get my drift and the 'worlds'
Kevin McAllion
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thomas Welsh introduces us to a vivid and fascinating world as Anna goes Behind the Veil and discovers she has hidden powers in another dimension.
Danger hangs in the air when Anna enters this new reality, known as Hazes, as a murderous Dreamer known as the Midnight Man tries to wipe her out before she can even work out what is happening to her.
But, guided and mentored by a mysterious man called Teej, Anna eventually discovers she has the ability to fight back against these nightmarish Dreamers a
Kevin O'Donnell
Really great, original world building, some cool characters (Garret!) and a tale that takes twists and turns I couldn't have expected. Easy to recommend this to anyone who likes a bit of fantasy, and I look forward to seeing where Anna goes next.
Ga
Dec 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
1,5 points for the book cover
Elena Love
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!*

Anna Undreaming is a dark Urban Fantasy novel, following our main character Anna, who has just discovered that she has the ability to wield supernatural powers by traveling through imaginary worlds created by the Dreamers. At first, she's not able to distinguish reality from illusion but, she fights the monsters she encounters in these hallucinations she's lost in, with everything she's got! H
Hester
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
★★★☆☆
I would like to thank the author for being so generous to send me a copy of Anna Undreaming in exchange for an honest review.

“Never play their game, their game is always rigged.”

Going into this book I didn’t quite know what to expect, I’d heard a few captivating things about it and read the synopsis, but the story could still go in so many different ways! I just knew that I wanted to read it because it intrigued me and the cover was gorgeous and I’m a sucker for that:)

I’m not going to g
Plum Report (Kimberly)
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-reviewed
Dark Fantasy. I had no idea what to expect from this book. I've never read a dark fantasy novel before, and to my surprise, I enjoyed the story. Though, I'll admit (and I'm not sure the exact range of how dark a dark fantasy novel can get) that I'm not sure I'd be able to handle a much darker, graphic story-line. But again, that's a personal preference. Thomas writes a well-balanced story for Anna of both the real world and the world "Behind the Veil".

Anna is an Undreamer. What is an Undreamer y
Carrie Ardoin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF....nearly 50 pages into the book and still no clear explanations of WTF is going on in this universe.
Rutuja Ramteke
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Name: Anna Undreaming
Author: Thomas Welsh
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Owl Hollow Place
Note: Book one in the Metik's Trilogy
Plot: Anna is a student surviving the city, for every man she has ever known, it’s a saying that has served her well.
Especially when Anna becomes lost to the dark heart of the city. She finds herself hunted by Dreamers—artists, both good and evil, who construct new worlds—within a complex community that threatens to undermine reality itself. She must travel through their s
Margaux Mennes
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Anna Undreaming tells the story of Anna who gets sucked into this other side of our world called a Haze or Behind the Veil. A Haze is another dimension of our world created by a Dreamer.
After being given drugs Anna is able to go Behind the Veil and finds out that she is an Undreamer, together with Teej, a Metik that she know before all this happened, Anna starts to unravel this new world she got sucked into.

I had mixed feelings while reading this book. On one hand I really loved the writing sty
Jonathan Carter
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-copies, series
Will you come to embrace a new reality in which artistry shapes the landscapes of reality?

In this book, we follow Anna as she traverses her journey of discovery in a world of Dreamers and Metiks.

This is an exciting and thrilling book, indeed. Full of twists and turns. I absolutely adored the making of the story. The creation of everything from the world to the magic and to the rules governing the said magic.

The only real downside — for me, at least — is that it is very dragging. The reason it be
Goodreads Librari...: This is my only novel 6 68 Mar 04, 2018 11:36AM

• House of Salt and Sorrows
  • To Best the Boys
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • Ark
  • The Kingdom
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Highfire
  • The Furies
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • How to Be a Footballer
  • Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
  • The Lost Tide Warriors (Storm Keeper, #2)
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • Behind Closed Doors: Life, Laughs and Football
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
Thomas Welsh is an award winning urban fantasy and short story author based in Scotland. He was the winner of the Elbow Room fiction prize for 'And Then I was Floating' and has also been published in 'The 404 Ink F Word Collection', 'Pseudopod' and 'Leicester Writes'. His fantasy trilogy 'Metiks Fade' debuts in Spring 2018 with book one, 'Anna Undreaming' published by Owl Hollow Press.

The Metiks Fade Trilogy (2 books)
  • Anna and the Moonlight Road (The Metiks Fade Trilogy #2)

News & Interviews