Start by marking “X-Men/Black Panther: Wild Kingdom” as Want to Read:
X-Men/Black Panther: Wild Kingdom

X-Men/Black Panther: Wild Kingdom

(X-Men (2004) (Collected Editions) #4)

Whilst investigating a sudden outburst of strange, mutated wild animals in Africa, the X-Men, led by Storm, encounter something far worse. They are faced with mutant bio-organisms, the likes of which the world has never seen, and the key to defeating them, may lie in that region's protector, the Black Panther.

Collects X-Men #175-176 and Black Panther #8-9.
Published February 8th 2006 by Marvel Comics (first published February 1st 2006)

Start your review of X-Men/Black Panther: Wild Kingdom
Keith
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
SUMMER OF X-MEN CAPSULE REVIEWS #6

I always want to say good things about Black Panther, but I really don't know anything about Reginald Hudlin's run on the character, and as a part of Milligan's run on X-Men the only thing that makes sense about this crossover is how little sense it makes. The crossover is centered on weird beasties and science run amok, which is great, but much of the rest of it leans a little too heavy on Black Panther lore for a casual fan to follow. It's also a Storm story,
Anna
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I almost rated it 2 stars despite all the nonsense with mad scientist, talking apes, "comrades" and everything but then the last page happened and... Seriously? After all the annoying quarrelling you give me this? I don't think either Ororo or T'Challa ever got on my nerves as much as in this book. I wanted them both to shut up and get as far from each other as possible. Instead I got an ending that was supposed to be... what? Romantic? Nah, my friends, nah.
Nelson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This was okay. I enjoyed both the X-Men and the Black Panther issues. The BP ones specifically were pretty good, especially the beautiful Dean White colors. Overall weak plot, but very good characterization by both writers.
Jerry Daniels
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jerry by: jerry_daniels_jr@hotmail.com
Whatever should have made this graphic a page turner did not do that -- at least for me. The Black Panther and the X-Men team up to uncover the what is behind the strange attacks from animals being experimented on to make them more human-like. My main interest in the story was to see the Black Panther in action, but he comes off being just another super hero full of bravado like the men in among the X-Men team, including Wolverine. Between their verbal sparring, the villains in this story behave ...more
Alex Z
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
This one disapointed me - the plot started out interestingly enough (mutated beasts eating people in a country near Wakanda, in Africa), but the X-men were consistantly idiotic, bickered incesently, and just basically got in the way of the story. Black Panther did better, but since he had to mostly resort to cleaning up the messes the X-Men made and getting yelled at by Storm, that's not saying much.
Fugo Feedback
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: A fans incondicionales del autor o de los personajes.
Recommended to Fugo by: Yo mismo.
Muy a mi pesar, Milligan sigue decepcionando en su paso por esta serie, con una aventura en África que resulta difícil de tomar en serio. Los personajes principales siguen portándose como adolescentes celosos y la representación que se hace de los africanos parece una caricatura (lo mismo con un viejo "villano soviético" que aparece). Cuando leí que la etapa de Milligan en X-Men era floja, me negué a creerlo, ahora no puedo más que sucumbir ante las evidencias.
Jason
Entertaining
B
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I feel like I read this three times: once as part of the Reginald Hudlin collection: Black Panther by Reginald Hudlin: The Complete Collection Vol. 1. Once in, like, my nightmare or something. And here again.

It just feels kind of sloppy. Storm is a sex object. These scientists keep double-crossing each other.

Black Panther doesn't know how to communicate. Wolverine has never been a spy before. The giant monsters turn out to be a subplot that doesn't go anywhere. Same for the whole country where t
Adam Stone
I'm in the midst of reading through the X-Men, so I'm going to be focused on their involvement in this story, which is lackluster.

I also read it as part of a Black Panther read earlier this year, though, and it wasn't better.

This is a messy crossover setting up the Storm/T'Challah relationship that flourishes in and beyond the Marvel Civil War. The rest of it is the X-Men dealing with their interpersonal trauma from the hideous previous storyline (X-Men Bizarre Love Triangle), and encountering m
C
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Continuing the great x-read of 2017…

This one was disappointing to me, particularly after the strength of the Black Panther story in House of M. Its plot is a bit of a mess and it mostly consists of everyone yelling at each other through the whole thing (other than Storm and Black Panther who spend each issue sort of oddly and creepily flirting with each other).

Really very little of import actually happens in this book. I feel like it is an easy pass.
Xavier Marturet
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
I don't remember Black Panther this way. His language and... everything. Black Panther was a respectable king, not a "good pal" who speaks like that young Spider-Man of the 70's.
The story is a bad story we all will forget in a brief lapse of time just after its last page.
Jdetrick
It's amazing how much the X-Men can drag a title down. After a strong start to his series, Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther has been sidetracked by crossovers. This is kind of a mess, and while the Panther comes out of it looking better than any of the X-Men, it's still not very good.
James Speiker
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A better run than the last. Action is still a bit off and not well paced
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was alright, good to see the heroes for hire gang but nothing special, 2.5 stars
Klaus
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was fine but just a waste of time, complete throwaway story and not even a good one
Kelly K
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
I was expecting an x-men/black panther mash up to be epic. It was definitely not epic, just boring.
Mike
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apes and mad scientists and marital strife oh my?

T'Challa (whose name reminds me of Jewish traditional bread, doesn't it?) tried non-aggression until his borders were invaded by the usual corrupt African warlord (because there's no hint of lazy racism in that supposition, thank the culturally-neutral deity figure).

Then discovered that the mad scientist was growing intelligent simians and other animals (though thankfully wasn't a bloated facsimile of Marlon Brando on his own private island of Che
Colm
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A crossover between Black Panther and the X-Men. The X-Men in this come across as a set of totally dysfunctional fuck-ups with Ice Man and Gambit not seeming to understand how best to deploy their powers without ruining everything, Storm having a god complex that leads to her starting a cult in her name with dangerous implications she doesn't understand, and Havok possessing a constant need for validation of his authority. I'm not au fait enough with the X-Men to know if they're meant to come ac ...more
Labyrinth Rossiter
This was just pure comedy. I remember Red Ghost's first appearance in FF. Here he is a Soviet caricature...and those talking apes! At first, I thought it was a little strange that the X-Men seemed to bicker like children and not work as a team, but at some point, Wolverine mentions that the team is falling apart now that Xavier has left. The leaders of the team are Emma and Havoc, both of whom have behaved childishly in the past. Why not Storm? Guess I need to back up and figure that out. T'Chal ...more
Michelle
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Storm and Black Panther are reunited - but then no ever knew they were together. I just needed to pad my number, but what was with this X-team? Havok was a crap leader, everyone who isn't Wolverine, Storm, or Black Panther has the same voice. Polaris doesn't talk and is the damsel in distress. Stupid fun but barely fun. Not a fan of the art - it's passable. Love the Frank Cho variant cover included.
Angel
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice and entertaining X-Men tale. Storm is leading the team this time. If you are used to "the usual gang," this is not it; you will find a couple of members missing (which in a sort of meta moment even Black Panther notes, a small detail I found amusing). Anyhow, the team heads off to Africa to investigate reports of mutated animals and some disappearances. They team up with Black Panther when they get there. Nice art, good story, quick read.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Crossover entre X-Men (liderados por Kaos) y Pantera Negra, que nos demuestra que Milligan no está hecho para escribir tebeos de superhéroes al uso y que no sabe usar a algunos personajes (Pícara y Gambito) más que para hacer bulto. Tomo aburrido a más no poder.
Shannon Appelcline
A surprisingly strong crossover, especially given the weird combo of Genosha, the Red Ghost, the (newest) Super Apes, and Dragon Man(??). Storm’s reactions to Africa and the continuing story of Genosha are both quite thoughtful, but it’s really the Ghost and the Apes that steal the show.
Ondra Král
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
V mnoha ohledech strašně pitomoučké, přesto vcelku fajn nenáročný akční komiks. Možná až moc nenáročný.
Angela
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
The Xmen join up with Black Panther to stop a mad scientist in Africa. Some nice moments and it is quite fun. Nothing substantial storyline wise though. A good read.
Patrick
Oct 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Rather silly.
Matt
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun dialogue. This is the first of my vacation reading. More to come.
Aine
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't a huge fan of the story, but I loved the interactions with Storm and the Black Panther.
raman

• X-Men: X-Corps
  • Thor by J. Michael Straczynski, Volume 1
  • Black Panther: The Bride
  • Thor by J. Michael Straczynski, Volume 2
Peter Milligan is a British writer, best known for his work on X-Force / X-Statix, the X-Men, & the Vertigo series Human Target. He is also a scriptwriter.

He has been writing comics for some time and he has somewhat of a reputation for writing material that is highly outlandish, bizarre and/or absurd.

His highest profile projects to date include a run on X-Men, and his X-Force revamp that relaunche

X-Men (2004) (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • X-Men: Day of the Atom