Start by marking “Someone to Care (Westcott #4)” as Want to Read:
Someone to Care (Westcott #4)

Someone to Care

(Westcott #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,775 ratings  ·  428 reviews
Once the Countess of Riverdale, Viola Kingsley throws all caution to the wind when adventure calls in the form of a handsome aristocrat...

Two years after the death of the Earl of Riverdale, his family has overcome the shame of being stripped of their titles and fortune—except for his onetime countess, Viola. With her children grown and herself no longer part of the socia
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published May 1st 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Someone to Care, please sign up.
Arietta Library, for sure. Balogh is popular enough that they could even have an e-version to borrow.
Betty According to Ms. Balogh’s website it November 2018

really liked it 4.00  ·

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I lack the words with which to sing this book's praises because this book leaves me speechless with joy.

Mary Balogh is above and beyond the best historical romance author in the whole world. There's like almost no sex in this store and I DON'T CARE.

This book made me furious. It made me ache. It made me squirm with joy. If you want a reformed-rake story, I don't think you can do better than this.

Some people may think that her writing is boring. And it is true that the pace is slow. There is a lot
Julie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Someone to Care by Mary Balogh is a 2018 Berkley publication.

A lovely tale of second chances- proving it’s never too late to find your happily ever after!

For those following the Wescott series, you will be familiar with Viola and the shocking discoveries that changed her life drastically at an age when starting over is especially difficult. So, when I realized she was the central character in this book was absolutely thrilled!

Viola might be suffering from something akin to panic anxiety disor
Mei
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I almost DNF this one... At 40% was so boring!!!

Viola and Marcel were rusticating and enjoying themselves. Going for walks, looking at the scenery... In that half of the book descriptions abound. And nothing happens...

I suppose we were to see how they got nearer to one another and how they feelings grew, but I didn't feel that way at all! For me it was just booorriinnngg...!!

Then they're discovered and, instead of getting more interesting, it gets just full of miscommunication! They don't talk.
Caz
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
B+ / 4.5 stars

This fourth book in Mary Balogh’s Westcott series is a gently moving and beautifully observed story about a woman trying to define herself and her purpose in life after the death of the man she had believed, for more than twenty years, to be her husband.  Readers familiar with the series will recall that the Westcotts were thrown into upheaval by the revelation that the head of the family, the Earl of Riverdale, had contracted his second marriage bigamously, rendering his son an
OLT
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Could) Someone (please help me) To Care about this story?

Again I seem to be missing my "sensitivity" chip while reading a Balogh HR. Instead of enjoying the heartwarming sentimentality of a story about love, family, and acceptance, I found myself annoyed and sometimes in danger of tooth decay from the sweetness I ingested here. One day this past week this story was offered at $1.99 so I snapped it up, since the usual price for a Balogh HR is a bridge too far for my budget. Well, even at that p
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always gobble up Ms. Balogh's writing in no time at all, and this is no different. I started this book mid morning and finished it this evening. Life can't come between me and her novels!

The reason this was not 5 stars is that I feel the plot and conflict is too overused. True, in these historical romances, the smallest misunderstanding could be blown out of proportion (ala Jane Austen and all her contemporaries), but I would like to see something more original. Two grown adults who get into a
Hollis
Well, it's official. This series is not for me.

I had checked my expectations, despite my hope that this change of Wescott series scenery might improve things, and still I couldn't find the love. Because all the appeal of having protagonists in their forties was completely undone by having them behave more painfully, and stupidly, then the younger contemporaries in the books prior.

So, blah blah blah all the drama from the first three books, which has been rehashed to the nth degree (and of course
Sabina
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another lovely novel by Mary Balogh. She’s become one of my favorite historical romance authors as she writes so well and always gives me a good story. I especially love how she does waltz scenes (so romantic). Very sweet!
Jaci
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you keep up with my blog you know that I am a huge Mary Balogh Fan, I have read everything she has written and loved them all. This story goes to my 3rd favorite, behind Heartless and Slightly Dangerous. Marcel Lamarr, Marquess of Dorchester is the perfect hero for Viola Kingsley. In some ways, Marc reminds me of Lucas (Heartless) and Wulfric (Slightly Dangerous).

He is unapologetic in the way that he chooses to live his life. He is beautiful in a dangerous way without a care for others. He is
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
This is fourth in a series and you really should read the others first. There's a lot of emotionally relevant events and background that plays into this story and it works better if you have gone through them. The second (Someone to Hold) is of particular importance and Camille and Joel and their family are key to some important scenes.

I've been looking forward to this for months. So it is with sadness that I admit it isn't up to the standard of the others. I was looking forward to this because
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

I love that the US cover shows an important location in the story. Mary Balogh gets great covers.

Readers have had a lot of different reactions to this book, as I would expect seeing as the two lead characters are so unconventional for the historical romance genre. That said, I loved Someone to Care a lot, and will go back to some parts of it again and again. It made me feel things.

The first half of the book is particularly strong. It’s an emotional story about a woman in
Kathryn
Someone to Care is another delightful book in the Someone series by Mary Balogh. We met Viola in the first book where she had just found out she was no longer who she thought she was. Apart from being a mother and grandmother.

When the stress of the past few years catches up with Viola she escapes the family for a brief respite. She walks right into Marcel, a person she felt rather attracted to many years ago but had not acted upon it because she believed she was married. Together now they experi
Ira
Nov 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
I can’t wait to read Viola’s story.
Is about time to read a real woman with real story, not just a teenage girl pretend to be an adult’s story! LOL 😂
We got glimpses of her tragic situations from previous books and that teaser at the end of Someone to Wed? You very meanie Ms. Balogh, asked us to wait that long 😫😫.
♥Rachel♥
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
3.5 Stars

Viola Kingsley used to be the Countess of Riverdale until she found out the marriage was invalid since her late husband was already married to another woman. She and her children lost the title and fortune, but in the time since her family has rallied around her, and her children have come through remarkably well. Still, Viola hasn’t really dealt with her feelings about the whole situation and suddenly, she’s feels the need to escape the family gathering she’s attending. Hiring a carria
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Someone to Care isn’t your typical romance but is one of a mature couple finding passion and love for the first time. Both main characters had disastrous first marriages and have been walking different paths before they saw each other again. Viola Kingsley is a widowed former countess who has lost everything and throws caution to the wind for a sexual dalliance with Marcel Lamarr, the Marquess of Dorchester. Marcel has become a rogue to the highest order after the death of his first wife and was
steph
Oh Balogh.

I wanted to love this book, I really did. I have felt such a kinship with Viola since the first novel and I have eagerly awaited her turn at romance. But after reading this book and reflecting on it, I have to say her romance, to put it bluntly, kind of sucked.

(view spoiler)
Phoenix77
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this story. There was very little to like about Marcel and I felt like his kids were more mature than he was. Viola was little better but the traumas she'd experienced in her adult life gave her a bit more leeway in regressing into a childlike irresponsibility. Mary Balogh has written several "Older than average" romances in her career but this one felt forced. Overall a disappointment and may have put me off reading the next book in the series.
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
"You told me to stay away," he said. "But that was fifteen years or so ago. Was there a time limit?"

Αυτή ήταν η φράση που με έκανε να χάσω το μυαλό μου με αυτό το βιβλίο! Αγάπησα την ιστορία γιατί δείχνει πως η ευτυχία δεν έρχεται μόνο σε συγκεκριμένες ηλικίες. Η Viola και ο Marcel είναι σίγουρα ένα ζευγάρι που έκανε πολλά λάθη (κυρίως γιατί δεν φρόντισαν να κάνουν τις σωστές ερωτήσεις μεταξύ τους) αλλά τους αξίζει η ευτυχία!
Dorine
Mary Balogh is one of the few authors who always meets my expectations. The fourth novel in the Wescott regency historical romance series, SOMEONE TO CARE by Mary Balogh, meets those expectations and exceeds them in several ways.

I love Mary Balogh’s characters. They make me laugh. Their idiosyncrasies are so realistic and fun. Starting this novel at a small-town festival, where neither of these characters would normally visit, gives such a lightness and frivolity to their time together. It’s rea
Jan
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall rating, 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. The first half of this book was better for me than the second half. I give 4 stars for the first half, maybe 3 stars for the second half. Hence my overall rating.

I've read 3 of the books in this series now, and for me this has been the best one. Although it still shares a couple of the failings of the others.

I liked the trope to begin with - a lonely, widowed marquess, a bit of a playboy. Had met the h years ago when she was still 'married'. They're bo
stl_reader
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW

As a baby boomer, I was initially thrilled that Ms. Balogh was giving us an older heroine. And I had hopes for the novel, though it started a bit slowly. (Though that’s fairly common for the author’s novels–they progress at a rather “stately” rate.) The premise sounded interesting.

But man, this story let me down big time.

I was BORED. And as far as I'm concerned, the story bordered on Women’s Fiction instead of Romance. Plus there was soooo much “telling” and not “showing.” (
Jess
I was really disappointed with this, all the more so because I was looking forward to it. I just didn't understand where the love came into the equation, and I know I was supposed to buy a forgotten youthful passion, but it didn't click for me at all.

And the too large family that this series features REALLY grated in this one, for me. Families don't need to live in each other's pockets like that!!! God, I would run away too.
Angela
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can accept I'm in the minority with this review, because honestly, it was a chore to finish the book. As a MB fan (and a fan on the series) I can say I'm disappointed.

The good: MB is good about giving us main characters that don't fit the normal HR mold. I like that Marc and Viola are mature (in age, at least), and that I didn't have to read about an 18 year old romance. I also like Marc's character growth. One of the themes is about family: unconditional love, acceptance, and forgiveness. Thi
Sophia
Violet Kingsley once had it all in the eyes of the world, then travesty struck. She held it together and now she just wants to run away from it all. I wasn't exactly anticipating Violet's book, but once I realized it was coming, I got curious about this middle-aged woman who felt the profound injustice of another person's deceit.

Someone to Care is book five of the Westcotts series. This is a series that builds strongly on what came before so doesn't work well out of order.

So, yes, this is Violet
Sunita
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finished this last night and really enjoyed it. For whatever reason the series is working very well for me. It’s a bit like the Slightly/Simply series but with a premise which allows Balogh to explore family and social relationships in a deeper way. It’s a historical-romance version of the found family theme we see in other subgenres. And it lets her write optimistically about relationships and love of all kinds without becoming too treacly (which started to happen for me in the Simply series) ...more
Katie
SIGH. Okay, the first half of this is really good! Running away together! Having fun!!!

And then, you know, NOT TALKING TO EACH OTHER FOR THE REST OF THE BOOK. I liked a lot that these were older characters, but that just made the not talking to each other worse. You learn a LITTLE as you grow older.

Also, hahahahaha, there are MORE minor characters!!!!! I've been able to kind of ignore the issue in the previous books because you can kind of tell which ones were the major minor characters, so I di
Debby "Piene Raven"
This the 4th book in the series was a bit dry and slow for me. I love MB but this did not spark too much for me although the narration was on key.

I thought it was enjoyable but gradually finished. I did come close the putting it away until later but continued.

3-Stars
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lissy Liz
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ⭐ ⭐🌟🌟
I love Mary Balogh’s stories
Desi
I refuse to put myself through this.
  • The Sins of Lord Lockwood (Rules for the Reckless, #6)
  • Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
  • Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)
  • One Good Turn (Nesbitt, #2)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • This Gun for Hire (McKenna Brothers, #1)
  • A Duke in Shining Armor (Difficult Dukes, #1)
  • Devil in Tartan (Highland Grooms #4)
  • Too Wilde to Wed (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #2)
  • A Duke to Remember (Season for Scandal, #2)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

Westcott (6 books)
  • Someone to Love (Westcott, #1)
  • Someone to Hold (Westcott, #2)
  • Someone to Wed (Westcott #3)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
“It sounded very shallow put that way.

Did it matter? Sometimes the human spirit needed the shallows. Sunshine danced on the shallows but was absorbed beyond trace by the depths.”
0 likes