Start by marking “Liquid: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Liquid: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives

Liquid: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Sometimes explosive, often delicious, occasionally poisonous, but always interesting: the New York Times best-selling author of Stuff Matters show us the secret lives of liquids: the shadow counterpart of our solid "stuff."
Published September 6th 2018 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Liquid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liquid

Paul
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The amount of stuff we consume these days is staggering, but there are some things that we use day in day out that barely get our attention, the water that comes out of the tap that goes into the kettle to make your coffee. The liquid soap that you use to wash your hands, the ink that stays in the pen until you scribble on a notepad, the glass of something cold that helps you relax at the end of a busy week. All of these are liquids and they all lubricate our lives in one way or another.

But, if
Keen
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

“Liquids have a duality: they are neither a gas nor solid, but something in-between. They are exciting and powerful, on the one hand, while being anarchic and slightly terrifying on the other.”

Travelling on a trans-Atlantic flight from London to San Francisco, Miodownik uses a number of observations and thoughts as creative jumping off points to get into some whimsical and fascinating territory throughout the journey.

This is a largely, but not always accessible investigation of sorts into some
Sourabh Rohilla
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the reader through a journey across few liquid substances that affect our lives so intimately, yet are enigmatic simply because we don't stop to marvel and wonder at how they got there in first place. We are clueless and unaware of stories of these life-shaping liquids. Mark's earlier book "Stuff Matters" really changes the way you look at the world around you, from glass to concrete to plastics. This book extends and complements the earlier book, by focussing on liquids, and yet ...more
Wesley
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this were marketed as a book our interaction with materials in our daily lives, I would have enjoyed it much more. However, it was marketed as a book about liquid and it spent more time talking about decidedly non-liquid things than it did about liquid. A lot of the information was interesting. The contrived and constrained tying of the information to a flight was jarring and forced. Overall I really wanted to like this book but it just felt like it was trying too hard to be something other t ...more
John Edward
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The material and scholarship is quite interesting (3.5 stars), but I didn't connect with the author's voice, finding it regularly distracting (best described as exaggerated and "too English"). I would consider reading other works by this author, especially if the narrative style and voice are different.
Meg C
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I love most about Mark Miodownik's books is the amount of times I feel the need to stop and share what I just read with my husband. There's just so many cool facts!! I'll never look at kerosene, tea, or the flight safety briefing the same again.

Thank you to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for providing me with an ARC.
Matthew Appleby
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed the book. There is a nice amount of chemistry to go into a bit of depth on each concept and the structure is well set out using examples from his journey. The book demonstrates very well how essential this phase of matter is to our society. I would highly recommend.
Namrirru
Nicky Whiting
Sep 28, 2018
Clara
Oct 16, 2018
Mark Miodownik is Professor of Materials and Society at University College London and the Director of the UCL Institute of Making. He was chosen by The Times as one of the top 100 most influential scientists in the UK. Miodownik is a broadcaster known best for giving the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures broadcast on BBC4. Miodownik is also a writer on science and engineering issues, a presen ...more