Start by marking “Maybe This Time” as Want to Read:
Maybe This Time

Maybe This Time

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Moving into a new home starts with a bang when Ryan Blackwell celebrates turning thirty. Being hungover means he’s bleary-eyed and clumsy the next day, but even in that state, he can appreciate how sexy and fit his neighbour is.

Matt Thomas isn’t looking for anything long-term—one and done is usually his life rule. Why settle down early, like his sister, when casual relatio
Published August 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Maybe This Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybe This Time

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Annabelle Jacobs has become one of my go-to authors for lower angst, steamy romance with a British flair.

Maybe This Time is a fun story about two ordinary guys who live in the same building and become embroiled in a friends-with-benefits situation.

Matt isn't interested in a long-term relationship. He's so used to defending himself against well-meaning relatives wanting to set him up with a nice boy, he doesn't even consider the possibility that the right man might come along someday.

Ryan does
Gigi
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-contemporary
I don't know what to tell you. This just didn't work for me. I was so put off by the friends-with-benefits part that I never really trusted Matt. The only part of this book I really enjoyed was the sweet, fluffy epilogue.

Probably just me, so silver-fox fans, give this one a try!
Elsa Bravante
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
3/4 partes del tiempo los protagonistas están bebiendo o con resaca.
Meh, no hay de donde rascar.
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
Simple and enjoyable.

Recommended!
Ele
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
*2.5 stars*

Honestly, I don't know what to say. I just didn't like it. Ryan grated on my nerves for some reason. He also spent the majority of the book in a pub getting drunk, or hungovered.

And Matt's sudden change of heart to go from friends with benefits to an actual relationship...I just didn't buy it.

Too much page time spent with family or secondary characters. I'd like more time with just the MCs.

But the writing was good and the epilogue very nice. Could be just me.
Bev
A light and fluffy read, with two guys that start off as friends with benefits but develop feelings for each other. I took a while to warm to Ryan, he seemed to spend a lot of the story tiddly or drunk, and seemed a lot younger than 30, but when he helped Matt with his parents, I knew things would progress from there. 3.5 stars rounded up.
Natalie
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars! How many synonyms for adorable can I come up with?! This was a lovely book to read, about two ordinary men; Ryan, sort of clumsy and dorky but cute, and Matt, a little older, a bit cynical and aloof but still a nice guy. Plus, getting both their pov’s is always a great bonus for me. I'd call it a meet-cute, when Ryan bumps Matt’s coffee all over him when moving into their building, then meeting Matt at his mother's house when Ryan buys a washer. After a couple of alcohol fueled hooku ...more
Vallie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, spicy-hot
Almost perfect.

This was very British in a way that I love. The friends to friends-with-benefits to proper-relationship was amazing to read. Also, Sam and Josh, the two best friends, were very well developed as side characters. I did want a bit more emotion towards the end though. I am still not 100% convinced these two have something epic going on. They get on well and have sexual chemistry. Great but not quite extraordinary. Still, I would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't gone to bed wh
*~*~*Hyperion*~*~*
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'll round this up to 2.5, because it WAS sweet (in spite of it being a little messed up) and I am feeling quite generous!! BUT, this was: "I guess it was just okay for me" :-/!! I have a few reasons as to why that is. Let's review those reasons shall we ...

1. Ryan was drunk almost all the time ... ummm what?!!? ... what was up with that?!!? There is social drinking and then there is drinking until you're so hung over, you're practically constantly incapacitated!!! I mean jeez, everyone is alway
*Kayley*

This was a cutesy and fun book that had no drama - score! I loved that there was no miscommunication at all and that the two men were up front with each other and honest. They worked out any issues by -gasp- talking to each other.

These types of books are nice to read after reading a darker book, or one with lots of angst. Maybe This Time was just....easy. It had a nice flow and was a pretty quick read.

There were plenty of steamy scenes as well as family time which was heartwarming. The epilogu
Georgie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I can appreciate that Jacobs is offering a competently written, slow-paced book, with no dramatic incidents, closer to real-life than many others. But if that's the case, there needs to be some compensating depth of observation, characterisation or motivation.
Unfortunately, MTT is just flabby. Too much filler material - in some hands, a discussion about washing-machines could be illuminating. Here? Not so much.
Cadiva
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gentle pacing and lacking in angst equals a sweet romance

Just like her fellow West Country author Jay Northcote, there's something about Annabelle Jacobs' writing which speaks to me and I always enjoy her romances.

This one is no exception with two older MCs, one 30 and one 38, who almost accidentally fall into a friends with benefits relationship that slowly develops into more.

I loved both Matt and Ryan, neither of them were dramatically angsty, the majority of tension and conflict coming from M
Sheri
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The more I read Annabelle Jacobs the more naturally I slip into her ebb and flow. Her rhythm is smooth, her tone is gentle and I find myself leisurely gliding through the pages. This sweet story revolves around two men that become neighbors, then casual sex suddenly shifts into something more…well, maybe. Ryan and Matt are both in their thirties but on opposite ends of the decade. Ryan celebrates his thirtieth birthday the weekend he moves into his new place. He’s teetering between the freedom o ...more
Carra
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now this is a story I can recommend to any M/M romance fan who doesn’t need a lot of relationship angst, but still likes to have a bit of tension in their stories. While I admit at first I wasn’t quite feeling a strong connection between Matt and Ryan, that slowly changed as their arrangement changed. I liked watching as their one-night-only developed into friends-with-benefits, and finally progressed into something more, because you get to see their relationship from inception forward.

Nothing i
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

This was a delightful story! As thirty-year-old Ryan is moving into his new apartment building on his birthday, he’s very pleased to see the tall, gorgeous silver-haired man who comes jogging up the road and heads into his building. Though he at first thought he was an older guy in great shape, when he gets a closer look, it’s easy to see the man is not much older than he is, even though
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

4 Stars

After living with his mum for the last year and a half to help her deal with his father's illness and subsequent death, Ryan is finally moving into his own place again. Things are looking up when he catches sight of Matt, his new neighbor, all hot and sweaty from his run, as Ryan and his buddies unpack the moving truck, but he is discouraged later when he literally runs into Matt again and the man is completely unreceptive to the conversation Ryan tries to spark up.

Matt wants no part of
Didi
It's a sweet story about a supposedly one night stand that develops into two, then friends with benefits, and then much more. The characters are quite likable though Matt struck me as a bit too smug early in the story. The attraction between Ryan and him feels like mostly based on physicality and appearance, which is not very convincing to last long.

Having said that, I do love Matt and Ryan's love and devotion to their parents. In fact, their great relationship with their parents is the one of
Ami

I thought Matt was being a jerk in the beginning. I thought Ryan had too much drink and being hangover.

I thought, if I wanted to read about silver foxes, I want them to at least 45+ and not MY age...

I thought Matt and Ryan were spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME with their friends (on page) rather than with each other.

I thought Matt and Ryan's relationship was pretty much based on physical attraction only, as in too much sex not enough relationship substance for me. Let's just say a LOT of s
Diverse
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2017
Maybe This Time by Annabelle Jacobs is a super sweet romance. No angst just love. There’s a small amount of romantic suspense but this is a light read that will leave you with a lot of good feelings and a smile.

Matt doesn’t want romance. He is thirty-eight and happy with the uncommitted life. He wants hot bodies in his bed and no strings attached.

Ryan just moves into his building and the attraction is instant. Which you wouldn’t know if it wasn’t duel POV. What starts as a minor irritation tu
Lori
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, bmbr-reads
Review soon at BMBR.
A copy of this book was given in exchange for an honest review.
Dawn
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe This Time by Annabelle Jacobs
4 Stars – review by Dawn Honeycutt

Ryan Blackwell is moving into his own apartment and turning thirty. While moving his stuff in, he and his friends cannot help but notice the gorgeous, sweaty, man running by them and then into Ryan’s building. The next morning Ryan attempts to strike up a conversation and is shut down.

Matt Thomas enjoys his bachelor life. He enjoys sex with no strings and has no desire to settle down like everyone else in his life. The only pro
Lauren
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story this was! Annabelle Jacobs has written a truly wonderful, low angst but incredibly sexy romance, and it has been added straight to my list of 'comfort reads' that I return to again and again when I want a sweet story to put a smile on my face.

Maybe This Time is the perfect story if you're looking for cute main characters with low drama but lots of sweetness and "aww" moments. Matt and Ryan's budding relationship from neighbours to running partners/friends to something more wa
Bibliophile
Oct 07, 2017 added it
Shelves: m-m
No rating. I hadn't read anything by this author, so I shamelessly skipped to the end to see if I would like this book and this author. There was nothing wrong with the ending per say, but I could just tell that this author's writing style wasn't for me. I checked out a few more sections to be sure, but in the end, I decided to put this book down and not finish it.
Annette Gisby
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matt Thomas has a rule when it comes to bedding other men. One, and then done. He is not looking for anything long-term. He never has and he thinks he never will.

Ryan had his heart broken before, when he had a friends-with-benefits arrangement with Neal. He knew that going on, but feelings got involved and then he didn't see Neal for dust.

At his new apartment block, Ryan bumps into his upstairs neigbour, Matt, and Matt's coffee spills all over Matt's t-shirt. Ryan is mortfied at how clumsy he wa
Emma
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
it was pleasant but lacked something = 2.5 stars (rounded up)

A sweet tale of two men who are neighbours and decide to start a friends with benefits relationship. And naturally they fall in love. The end. No really that is about all that happens. It was an easy read and made my evening pass. But that was about it.
Otterpuss
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Annabelle Jacobs writing. Her characters are likeable and her storytelling is simple, easy and comfortable.
At 80% my heart sunk because I thought we were getting 'The Great Misunderstanding' but I should have kept the faith because all was we'll and no body flew off the handle after making a stupid assumption. Phew!
Simply put; I loved it.
Beverly Southern Babes Book Blog
Once again Annabelle Jacobs has given us such an amazing, heart-warming story. Just like the rest of her stories you get sucked in from the start.

Ryan has just moved into his new flat. He's trying to get on with his life after helping his mom out. He is such a sweet guy. A heart of golden with the best friends anyone could ask for. But what he never expected was his neighbor.

Matt has been living his life one day at a time it seems. He has his family, friends and hook up when the time comes. He
Anu
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute story. Their first meeting is a classic meet-cute; Ryan bumps into his hot new neighbour Matt and spills his coffee on him, definitely catching Matt's attention. Then they're both a bit drunk and have sex, supposedly just that once but then it happens again...and things get a bit muddled from there.

I liked how Matt's commitment-phobia wasn't because of any major breakup issues but simply being set in his ways and not having considered settling down before. Also how adorable is Ryan,
Karen Lectrice Compulsive
Histoire sympa au final mais des longueurs, un peu d'ennui et pas assez de piquant...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Annabelle Jacobs lives in the South West of England with her three rowdy children, and two cats.

An avid reader of fantasy herself for many years, Annabelle now spends her days writing her own stories. They're usually either fantasy or paranormal fiction, because she loves building worlds filled with magical creatures, and creating stories full of action and adventure. Her characters may have a tou
More about Annabelle Jacobs