Start by marking “The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One

(Women Are Some Kind of Magic #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  10,745 ratings  ·  2,085 reviews
2016 Goodreads Choice Award-winning poet Amanda Lovelace returns in the witch doesn't burn in this one — the bold second book in her "women are some kind of magic" series.

The witch: supernaturally powerful, inscrutably independent, and now—indestructible. These moving, relatable poems encourage resilience and embolden women to take control of their own stories. Enemies tr
Published March 6th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One, please sign up.
Mia (A Happy Little Bookworm) There's no real reason why you couldn't read this book first. While reading them in the order they were written may give you a better understanding of…moreThere's no real reason why you couldn't read this book first. While reading them in the order they were written may give you a better understanding of the author's message & personal backstory, the books could be just as good read on their own. (less)
Katie It’s actually the same author, only one. Her name is Amanda Lovelace, and her social media name is ladybookmad. I guess they just used both names as…moreIt’s actually the same author, only one. Her name is Amanda Lovelace, and her social media name is ladybookmad. I guess they just used both names as the author, but it’s just one author(less)
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,300 books — 4,754 voters
The Great Alone by Kristin HannahCirce by Madeline MillerThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackEducated by Tara WestoverThe Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
Best books of 2018
1,185 books — 1,881 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is, without a doubt, my favorite poetry collection I’ve ever read
kat
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
okay, let me just get straight to the point.

I have nothing against the content of the poems in this collection. feminist poetry? yes p l e a s e. all the messages Lovelace is sending to her readers are important ones that I can totally understand and relate to despite my low rating.
my issue comes with the presentation of said poems. this is not the first collection of modern poetry that I have tried out, but like the others I've read, to me the end result is lacking. it's like whatever I'm readi
Claudia Ramírez
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Estoy realmente sorprendida de que me gustara tanto. El primer libro, "The Princess Saves Herself in this One" me había parecido muy sin chiste, solo me gustaron unos cuatro o cinco poemas, entonces, para mí, no fue nada memorable. Pero este... este fue como WOW. Me pude sentir identificada con muchos de los poemas, y algunos me dejaron sin aliento. Creo que Amanda Lovelace creció mucho de su primer poemario a este.

Es un libro de empoderamiento y de fuego.
Muy feminista.
Muy recomendado.
Nat
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, poetry, arc
the witch doesn't burn in this one 8-- bookspoils
Picking up this poetry collection couldn't have come at a better time with having just read a book about powerful witches by Leslye Walton: The Price Guide to the Occult.

I really took to heart Amanda Lovelace's The Princess Saves Herself in This One for its raw and honest take on love, loss, grief, and healing. Plus, the many feminist poems. So with this follow-up collection, I was keen on reconnecting with the author through her words.

As the blurb states, these moving, relatable poems encourag
Schizanthus
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Warning - High Probability of Unpopular Opinions Ahead

I’ve read Amanda Lovelace’s the witch doesn’t burn in this one twice now. I wasn’t familiar with Amanda’s poetry and was intrigued so read it immediately after I downloaded it. I had strong contradictory feelings about it and wanted to know how I’d feel after it sat with me for a while and then reread it. So, here we are straight after the reread.

My review may well feel like one big soapbox moment but if this book has reminded me of any
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
You can find this review and more on my blog!

#1: The Princess Saves Herself in this One ★★★★☆

& a blueberry muffin
to coddle you as
i try to convince you
that respecting
my existence is essential.

Much like the first book in this poetry series, Amanda writes about feminism with a pleasantly surprising level of intersectionality and care; she touches on topics like transphob
Whitney Atkinson
I went into this knowing it's not my favorite style of poetry, which is why i'm withholding a rating. As always, a great message for those first delving into poetry/feminism, but for some reason I just can't vibe with each poem's delivery. I will say that I enjoyed book one more than this one.
Jess
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book and I did not mesh. I'm really sorry to say that, since I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. However, it was not the case with this one. It seemed like this second one was sloppily thrown together, the ideas weren't fully formed, and it was just trying to mooch off the success of the first book.
This book promoted feminism in such a way that I cannot get behind. I will be among the first people to fight for equality for women, but this book took it too far. It was basically saying to te
Christy
you many not
see my worth,
but i do.
i do.”

This book of poetry is important and it’s powerful. Some of the poems really spoke to me and moved me, others I couldn’t relate to as much. Overall I loved the book and I loved the message. There are some I highlighted that I know will stay with me. It only took me an hour or two to read (and I took my time reading it) so I would definitely recommend you take just
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Witch, femininity, sisterhood, fire, solidarity.

What did I feel when reading this book?

Lots of things. A lot of anger, a lot of pride, a lot of power.

I had goosebumps up my arms and down my legs. I wanted to scream and rage and burn things. But in a good way.

I loved this collection. I loved the narrative behind each poem, how it told a story as you turned each page. The writing itself seemed to change as I progressed through the book, it became stronger and more mature.

This was excellen
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for proving an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

After my disappointment with the princess saves herself in this one, I crossed my fingers I'll like this more. Amanda Lovelace's newest poetry collection centers on feminism. Topic wise, it's good but the poems were still empty, rundown sentences. Some poems are written differently but the thought was just the same. It's quite unimpressive. Do I feel empowered or inspired by this collection? Sadly, no. I gues
Julia Sapphire
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I was sent this by Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review

I will be discussing this more on my YouTube channel (Julia Sapphire) shortly!
This was incredible, I am speechless and I am so excited for everyone to read this when it releases.

choice.

- they wanted us weak but forced us to be strong.”
may ❀
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
we must help lift
each other above
the flames.
- women supporting women.

this was alright.

i can understand the empowering women aspects and the supporting each other (!!!) and the push for self-love and healing and acceptance, that was all fantastic but i didn't resonate with the intense misandry

like i just want women to be recognized and praised and loved and celebrated and all but the whole burn every man at the stake notion was like sis, i could do without that, yeah

and the quotes were nice an
Alana • thebookishchick
Well friends, it’s safe to say, this one just didn’t do it for me. Poetry seems to be something that is very hit or miss with me. It is also is the genre that I find myself most intimidated by, however, I’ve really been trying to broaden my horizons in terms of what I’ll read. Fantasy, YA, romance, mysteries, and contemporaries are all fun to read, but sometimes I want something more thought provoking and inspiring. So needless to say, I was rather excited to start this one because poems about w ...more
Crystal
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
review from the first volume is still valid. Love these stories and lessons
✨    jamieson   ✨
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, arc, poetry
"bitch," he spits.

"witch," he sneers.

& i say,
"actually, i'm both."

-reclaim everything.

it's really hard to review poetry because it functions so differently than an actual fiction book but I've decided to just rate this on enjoyment. and I enjoyed this a lot

Amanda Lovelace continues to write poetry that is personal, and raw, and honest. But I think this collection worked so much better than the first one (Which I also loved).

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One is so cohesive and on topic. It
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!

Powerful. That's the first word that comes to me when thinking about this collection of poems.

Poetry is not really my thing, I've been getting into it a bit more in the past couple of months. I've heard of this collection of poems compared to Rupi Kaur, but I would disagree. That collection of poems seemed so disingenuine and fake, in my opinion. Lovelace, her poems felt like they were from the heart, she didn't try to use a shock factor to get her point across.

There are so many peopl
Dannii Elle
This is the second instalment in the 'Women are Some Kind of Magic' series and I adored it every bit as much as the first. The previous volume was far more focused on the individual but this collection aims to unite women, as one body. This provides a call to action for us to burn brighter, strive harder, and ensure that we never forget the ashes of our ancestors that we were born upon.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

(shhh,
it's ok,
i won't tell.)

Thank you, Amanda!

Thank you for every word in this poetry collection.
Thank you for all your fire.
Thank you for putting that fire into words.
Thank you for making me feel less alone in my own fire.

Thank you, Amanda!

Shelves: 2018, in-english
we must help lift
each other above
the flames.
- women supporting women.

I loved The Princess Saves Herself in this One, loved and I looked forward to read this so much.
But..
hmm..
It wasn't what I was hoping for to be.

This book was full of anger against men. It supposed to empower women but I didn't feel empowered at all, I finished the book with a feeling that men are bad and are something less than women.

I liked and highlighted eleven poems (mostly woman-loving or self-loving ones) but that'
Iselin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ugh-no
misandry
/mɪˈsandri/
noun
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men (i.e. the male sex).

I had many issues with this.

1) I listened to the audiobook. The narration is done by the author herself, and it is fucking awful. She has a monotone voice, and reads with no dedication at all, it sounds so lazy and rushed.

2) There are so many quotes in particular that I take issue with, or find rediculous.
Such as: "refuse to bruise!" I cant? Maybe I just dont like poetry, I think I`m just to
 dianneugh
ARC provided by Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review
this is an overdue love letter to each & every woman who walked these fields before me & made the path soft enough for me to walk through and get to the side they could never reach. for that, I owe you so much. - but I owe some things to myself, too.

This is the kind of book you read every time you doubt yourself, every time you feel powerless, every time you feel like your flame is slowly dying.
Prashasti
make sure
that
it doesn’t
burn the
good
with
the rot.
- we can’t lose our empathy.

3.75
It's the second book in the series "Women Are Some Kind Of Magic" and I find it even more fierce than the first one, boldly picking up on women's issues and feminism.
Then again I do not consider it to be the most authentic forms of poetry but I won't hesitate to put Amanda Lovelace at the second position in the ca
Jessica
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism, poetry
This is a review of the Target special edition. It has a red cover instead of the white one, a letter from the author, and bonus poems.

I was so excited to read this because I’ve been super into witches lately. However, I liked this, but I didn’t like it as much as her first collection.

This collection got a bit repetitive at some points. There were a lot of poems on burning and fire. I wish there would have been more poems about the coven aspect of witches. There was a lot she could have done w
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

BEAUTIFUL AND IMPORTANT!!!!! Every women should read it. Everyone really.

Know your worth and no man can take you down! Be the flame that you know you can be! Let yourself be free. And be a Queen👑, who rules with NO NEED of a King🤴.
Be the fire🔥that they can’t put down, the fire that deep down they fear because they know how strong it is.
Be the strength, the love and the hope that they could never be.
Be yourself and fuck it🖕who ever thinks that’s no enough, because is more than they will ev
Krista Regester

bad omen.

your worst nightmare

wearing a
red-lipped smile.

-even better, call me by my name.
Gabby
This is a poetry collection that centers on feminism, and I was really excited to read this one because I really enjoyed this author's first poetry collection The Princess Saves Herself In This One. I am torn over how I feel about this poetry collection though: some of it I absolutely loved and agreed with an then some of it felt like hate towards men and anger towards men in an unfair way.

- they wanted
Hannah  Mshar
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
great concept! subpar execution.
elena
I just felt that it was pretty simple and similar to the first collection!
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

This was amazingly powerful and empowering. It was emotionally hard to read at times, like all good thought-prokoving literature is.

Full disclosure, I still haven't read Lovelace's first poem collection fully, but I have read many of her poems (I follow her on twitter and she often RTs people sharing their favorite poems of her, so that way I got to read a few) and I feel
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9781449489427 5 17 Nov 04, 2018 08:19AM
growing up a word-devourer & avid fairy tale lover, it was only natural that amanda lovelace began writing books of her own, & so she did. when she isn't reading or writing, she can be found waiting for pumpkin spice coffee to come back into season & binge-watching gilmore girls. (before you ask: team jess all the way). the lifelong poetess & storyteller currently lives in new jers ...more

Women Are Some Kind of Magic (3 books)
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)

choice.

- they wanted us weak but forced us to be strong.”
52 likes