Start by marking “OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life” as Want to Read:
OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life

OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life

"...forced me to look honestly at my habits, and now I know how to change them".
The Pool

Log off your social media. Turn off your notifications. Switch off your devices. And feel better.

Lost without your phone? Exhausted? Unable to relax or focus? We tap, swipe and click on our devices 2,617 times per day. We spend more time online than we do asleep. With so many ways

Published August 3rd 2017 by Ilex Press

To ask other readers questions about OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life

Start your review of OFF. Your Digital Detox for a Better Life
Claire
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Some helpful tips on digital detox, with practical advice for anyone who feels like smart technology is taking over their life. At points insightful, at points superficial, I would have liked this book to go a bit deeper - more analysis and less Tumblr asthetic photos/inspirational quotes, however nice. Still, it was worth reading and has me rethinking aspects of my relationship with my phone.
Jenny Lee
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I would honestly quit it all if it wasn't for my art and the need to have an online presence as an artist. After reading this I do feel that I will be less present online than I already am.

The way we are living is an unhealthy one, and I will be the first to admit that it has become a crutch for me - which has only worsened my anxiety and shyness. I have become too reliant on the screen between me and my friends, and I never meant for that to happen.

I have always had a love hate relationship
Nicole Bishop Baker
very fast read. good ideas on how to unplug from electronics to have more family time. I liked the basket idea for the electronics.
Richard
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
We all spend too much time on our electronic devices. This is a fact. But that doesn’t make technology evil - we just need to learn to use our tech and not let it use us.

This book aims to offer short, sharp, practical tips and advice to help you wean yourself off an addiction to Smartphones and other tech, and enjoy the real world more.

Anyone who is already enlightened to the addictive qualities of tech may find this book too basic. It offers little science, just practical advice to manage your
Evi Cherry
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a waste of time!
This is the kind of book anyone could write, style it like a cool blog with nice photography and there you have it. Maybe it would benefit young teenagers, but it's definitely not for adults since you don't get anything out of it apart from the obvious 'don't bring your phone in the bedroom', or 'don't use your phone while at the table'.
Unbacked up "scientific facts"; doesn't sound like Ms Goodin knows what she's talking about or that she has anything actually helpful to
Chris
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short, but sweet - a thoughtful examination.

Without overdoing or labouring the point, Goodin presents a convincing case for why we need to switch 'off' and take part in a digital detox. She presents simple ideas alongside practical suggestions for how to implement them - leaving you inspired and motivated by the end. If you're looking for something to do the work for you then this isn't the one (that book doesn't exist), but if you're looking for something to galvanise your resolve and provide
Kathy Peterman
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Off - Your Digital Detox for a Better Life was a fun 30 minute read and savor kind of book. It offers a variety of tips to not let your smartphone run your day.

Not taking phones to meals, to bed or the bathroom. Using our internal GPS vs getting dependent on our phones. Finding other things to do with our time. Truly connecting with those we are with. Turning off notifications and spending time in nature are all tips to consider for more balance, less mindless scrolling.

The photos and layout
Maureen
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title drew me in, but when I picked the book up from the library, I should've known right away, it wasn't going to be detailed given its small size. I was left wanting more - where are the facts and research? There was very little information in this book. It was short, little chapters surrounded by a whole bunch of pictures. If I wanted sound bites, I could've just did watched the local news. None of the information was new and it can all be easy found by doing a simple internet search.
Ashlee
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have such a love hate relationship with technology, but I like the approach this little book takes. One of my goals for 2019 is going to be to get outside more and hike! I also need to be more cognizant of how I spend my time on social media platforms, as I use wonderful teacher communities to help with my professional development. I loved this little reminder to get OFF.

I wonder how my students would react if I said I wasn’t available by e-mail after 5 pm?!
PolicemanPrawn
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is about how to lessen the influence of digital devices in our lives. It provides tips such as placing your phone outside the room when sleeping, not taking your phone outside with you, and so on. A very brief book providing common-sense advice, it lacks scientific and evidence-based research. But useful nonetheless.
Czol
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh. OK so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on this book, as maybe it just wasn't meant for me. It's true I love me some screens. I find my smartphone to be extremely useful. My tablet is easily one of the best things I ever bought. I own a couple of videogame consoles & get plenty of use out of them. And because I'm a minimalist I definitely rely on digital devices as I've used them to replace more analogue media & tools, so as to reduce clutter & streamline my life. And a history of ...more
Abigail
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a little disclaimer that I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Actually, Tanya's publicist was nice enough to send me physical copy since I had troubles downloading it. I am very, very thankful!! :)

I really like the layout of this book. I like how it discusses a bigger picture and then it'll go into some ideas of what you can change about your life. It helps to get those creative juices flowing.

I think a lot of the points made are pretty common
Wanda C
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Many people are so tied to their devices that this book may present a few problems for them. Once example, placing a cell phone in the living room as opposed to taking it to the bedroom. I find this solution great for an adolescent who may be tempted to connect as opposed to sleeping.

The writing style is easy to read and relatable.

If one could utilize these ideas think of how easy it would be to handle a power outage or a server (Internet provider) going down.

I find this book
Aline Bleeker
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-read-in-2019
I fully support the purpose of the book! I would give five stars for the subject alone.

The book itself, however, is not very innovative. Things like 'do not take your mobile phone into your bedroom' or 'do the things you do with attention' are quite obvious. Next to that, the author regularly wrote that 'scientists have discovered that'... Which scientists, what kind of research!?
Lastly, the book is written in such a way that you only have to read the headlines to understand the message.

What
Slow Man
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
What a lovely lovely little book. It’s so little you can put it in your purse without adding any extra weight. And the photos that accompanying the words are just as lovely. We know everyone uses the phone for many life functions which can be very helpful. I cannot agree more on certain applications that change our lives forever but there are other functions that we can go back to the old fashion way like reading a book.

There are a few tips that are worth trying. Like Board games with family
Valérie L.
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanya Goodin gives us advice on how to balance our digital life with our more "natural life". She gives us (the readers) tips on how to use technology more efficiently while, at the same time, disconnecting and distancing ourselves from our cellphones and screens.

Her ideas for alternative activities cover a great range so everyone could get something out of the book. The only critique I would have is that it offers nothing more than other books on the subject have not already covered. However,
Val Mullally
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated and simple book. I've read it quickly through - but I know the value of it will be to return and take one concept at a time and APPLY it to my life. When applied with serious intention, this book could transform your life. Recommended for parents who want to let go of digital devices to improve the quality of their lives, especially the quality of their interactions with their children.
Shelly Mason
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Good ideas for things to do but I do most of them anyway. Just read this book out of curiosity as I don't bother people and I make it difficult for people to bother me; only people I genuinely care about have my number. Everyone else finds me on Facebook. Not because I'm antisocial but because I'm busy living my life! I am literally shocked to think that people actually suffer from anxiety if they don't have their phone!
Nur Huda
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is more of a cool blog with nice illustrations. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Apart from a good reminder, the points made are pretty common sense. It is definitely not for an adult like me, maybe more beneficial for young teenagers and adults who refuse to grow up.

Tina
Living with teenagers means I am always trying to find technological balance.
This little book has interesting facts and creative tips for getting there. I happily discovered that I already enjoy many of them regularly, but I grew up in a world that wasn’t, as yet, overwhelmed by distracting devices.
Everything in moderation.
Harry Tidby
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, punchy book of ideas on how to regain some balance in your life in wake of the digital onslaught we see in modern society. Brilliant for what it is, whilst not claiming to be anything grand at all; a quick and easy guide to making changes in your life.

3.5 stars, would recommend to absolutely everyone who owns a smartphone.
René
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but I still enjoyed it. I liked it because the author provided practical application instead of just 'avoid screens.' It made it easier to decide where I could change my habits.
Bethany Woodcock
Really lovely short book about how to make a digital detox easier. It's not meant to change the world or provide concrete solutions, but give a little nudge to those already feeling like their digital consumption is too much.
Christine Ong
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So simple yet true. We take relationships between ourselves and other people for granted without knowing. So this book is a great teacher. This is for anyone especially those who are chained by their phones and social media :)
Polly Krize
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sensitive way to look at the time we spend with our digital devices and ways to balance that time and not let them dominate our lives. Many good suggestions encouraging mindfulness and choosing how to spend your time.

Olivia Kaatz
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing I’d never thought of before- but, provided some motivation for the lifestyle change I’m working on. Favorite quote: “social media should be echoing our real-world interactions, not replacing them”.
Julie Palmer Teets
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great little book for ideas on how to unplug from the addiction of technology. It really makes you think. Tracking tech time, as the book suggests, is an eye opening experience. I think everyone should read this book. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer. It is quite small.
Mayang Dwinta Trisniarti
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple and mindful for the young and old people who truly are attached to the screen aka the phone. I love how Tanya Goodin deliberately sends the message to start the new way (or maybe the old way, if you insist) of living with less gadget. Been doing that for a year and I am still alive.
♛primadonna♛
This book has beautiful pictures and great tips to help you detox your life from digital materials without being too judgy.
Haoyee Ng

• Self-Care for the Real World
  • Destination: Simple - Rituals and Rhythms for a Simpler Daily Life
  • Period Power: Harness Your Hormones and Get Your Cycle Working For You
  • Fünfzig Gedichte
  • Make Yourself at Home: Discover Your Style and Transform Your Space for Inspired Living
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • The Book of Forbidden Feelings
  • When China Rules the World: The End of the Western World and the Birth of a New Global Order
  • The Third Eye
  • The Vegan Starter Kit: Everything You Need to Know About Plant-Based Eating
  • The Sun Is Kind of a Big Deal
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • How Emily Saved the Bridge: The Story of Emily Warren Roebling and the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge
  • From Apple Trees to Cider, Please!
1 follower
Tanya is an award-winning digital entrepreneur, tech ethicist and author, who has spent her entire career focused on the interaction between people and technology. For 20+ years she was the founder and owner of one of the UK’s first digital marketing agencies, now she is a digital consultant to brands and schools, founder of the digital detox movement Time To Log Off and author of ‘OFF‘.

Tanya has