Start by marking “Rainbow Islands” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Islands

Rainbow Islands

In the Christian Republic, homosexual people are given two choices—a camp to "fix" them, or exile to the distant islands populated by lesbians and gay men.

Sixteen-year-old Jason chooses exile and expects a hardscrabble life but instead finds a thriving, supportive community. While exploring his identity as a transgender boy he also discovers adventure: kraken attacks, nav
Published August 5th 2017 by October Night Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Islands

Jaymee Goh
This was adorable! I'd seen the Tumblr post that inspired it, and given how quickly it was written, I pegged it for a quick read, and it hit every last satisfying bone in the reading. This is definitely a comfort read--it doesn't demand much from the reader, it offers a fun romp, it gives a dreamy sigh of a utopia and all the kinds of interactions we wish for from our elders, it has "aw" moments. It's not a high literary read and that is what makes it so sweet.
John Willson
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An LGBTQ youth of the Christian Republic is banished to the gay islands to live a hard-scrabble life in the wilds with others of their "kind." Except it turns out that the feared Rainbow Islands are a utopia of abundance and new technologies, not to mention acceptance, compassion and love.

Light and enjoyable - like a healthy snack that turns out to be delicious, too.

The origin of this novel is perhaps as interesting as the book itself. An internet troll proposed that homosexuality is unnatural b
Nona Herrington
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Being raised Pentecostal I see the religious side of this book completely. Being hurt for different reasons I have come to see exactly how freeing the rainbow islands would be and cheered for Jason at every moment. I do wish it was real for everyone ridiculed and banished and mistreated for what ever reason. The best books are ones that you can put yourself in and this one you definitely can even if you are not a rainbow person.
Kris
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, kindle
Quite and easy read. I was hooked right from the first page. At first I didn’t think it was going to hold my attention but what he goes through on the island made up for that. I couldn’t pin point what was going to happen next there were things that happened that I didn’t expect. Overall all great book!
Sarah Mobley
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So comforting to read as a LGBTQ+ person

This book perfectly conveys the feeling of found family and the relief that a LGBTQ+ person feels when they finally find an accepting community where they can express themselves. It accurately depicts the experience of many, many trans people and has such nice diversity! There's many different races, all kinds of identities, and even a disabled character. I highly recommend this book for any person wanting a feel-good experience, no matter what their ident
TransBookReviews
It felt strange to have this wonderful accepting community and then set out these “the asexuals live here and are all this-and-this, the bisexuals live here and do such-and-such…” divisions. - Leigh

The writing just fell flat for me. I wasn’t as engaged as I wanted to be, even while reading the action scenes. - Maria

Read our full review here
Ash
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Would have given it three stars but the fact the author just kinda ended it suddenly after the war with no real resolution to y'know, defeating a whole country and all that really soured things for me.
Astra Astrid
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is very clearly a YA novel. It was a pleasure to read, but very simplistic in it's outlook. The author makes it seem that if a person is LGBTQ, then they're automatically a good person.

I don't doubt that kids who aren't cis and/or het need role models to look up to, and they definitely need to see themselves in stories, but I'm not sure that this level of...naivete...is warranted. However, since I'm not the target audience, I'm probably not the best judge of that.

Aside from this point, I li
Momfrog Lorita
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wish it was a real place ...

What an excellent read!! The imagery is so bright and vivid it makes you wish there really is a place called Rainbow Islands.

The author's descriptions of the confusion our main protagonist goes through trying to figure out his place in the universe are spot on, emotional, and extremely informative.

I am so much older than the targeted audience, and I found myself learning and asking many of the same questions. I highly recommend Rainbow Islands to everybody.
Audrea
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! I felt like the book ended kind of abruptly though. If it had an epilogue I would have gladly given it 5 stars but with the way it kind of leaves me hanging it is more of a 4.5 It's an amazing read though! I couldn't stop grinning while I was reading it.
Hana Russell
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just so good

This reads like a really good Tumblr chain come to life. So good! Great characters and wonderful, fast paced writing.

Some being-angry-at-hatefilled-Christian, so concern warning for that if you need one.
James
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book

This book was really good and very well worth the read. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a good book to read.
Robin L
Dec 11, 2018
Sara
Dec 30, 2017
Ilias
This book was. A little on the nose. The character development happened too quickly. It's a nice story, but. Like, the idea that people stratify themselves by sexuality is?? I dunno. I guess it was just not for me. And I guess also there was an innateness to sexuality that really bothered me?? The idea that people who are asexual are, like, inherently good at Science, and that magical eagles can sense somehow who is ace?? I recognize that that's a ridiculous criticism, but it just really simplif ...more
Leigh Lorien
Hazel Gold
Jan 03, 2018
Azure Hart
Jan 05, 2018
Devin Harnois has several published novels and he’d have more if he spent less time on Twitter and playing Dragon Age. Most of his books involve magic, monsters, and hope. They're also getting progressively more queer. He collects skull items and only a strong will prevents his apartment from being overrun by them.

In second grade he wrote his first story, a romance about two mice falling in love.