Start by marking “Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt #2)

Heart of Ash

(Blood and Salt #2)

Ash may have escaped the immortal-worshipping cult that killed her mother, but the love of her life is still under its thrall. Dane has been possessed by his diabolical ancestor Coronado, a man who's fabulously wealthy, dripping with fame, and the leader of Europe's most dangerous immortal network. Dane begs Ash to join him at Coronado's castle in Spain, and swears that hi ...more
Published February 20th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Ash, please sign up.

Start your review of Heart of Ash (Blood and Salt #2)
Candace Robinson
I wish I had known about this series sooner!! I loved it so much!

There is dark and there is light, and I absolutely loved the combo of the two. Ash was easy to connect to and I seriously felt bad for Dane. He needs a hug, or two, or a hundred!

Liggett’s writing just has a way of sucking you in with great dialogue and fantastic wording! I highly recommend this original duology! My only complaint is I want an epilogue!
 LEAH⇢
description

✎❐ Blood & Salt #2 ❐ Set in Spain ❐ Immortals ❐ Fated Romance ❐✎

I needed more volume. This is probably not actually the narrator's fault, she actually performed quite well, but I struggled with hearing what she was saying...her inner dialogue was so flipping quiet, it was a constant struggle for me. When this sort of volume discrepancy happens, it tends to pull you out of the story...which is never good and I really hate when a book won't go loud enough for me to hear it.

Where the f
Nicole
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We're like a dissonant chord in the finale of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, begging for resolution. As long as we're apart, there will never be peace in the world...harmony." - pg 41 of Heart of Ash

Ash Larkin barely survived a year ago when she was caught in the crossroads of a cult's curse and tradition. Through her mother's sacrifice, she lived and evaded Katia's wrath but is is now an immortal. But because without darkness there can be no light, Ash's twin brother's blood can kill while her's
Autumn Keesling
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y-a
While I definitely enjoyed Blood and Salt, this sequel diverted from the atmosphere of the first one too much. It felt like a completely different series and left me missing the spooky corn fields.
Lia
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m convinced this was written for Darkling/Alina fans
Jessica (a GREAT read)
It's been a good 2+ years since I read Kim Liggett's Blood and Salt! I remembered enjoying it and being shell-shocked by the cliffhanger ending and then last year, she wrote Heart of Ash which concluded the duology. Granted, as always, my memory wasn't super hot on the first book. Even my notes weren't entirely detailed like I keep trying to do now. But thankfully, Ash does her own bit of a recap and I was able to remember the events fairly well, or at least well enough to get through the beginn ...more
Jordan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart of Ash is exactly the book I needed at the right time. As many of you know, my reading record this year has been staggered and less than stellar. In the past week, I have read 3 horrible ARCs and I was questioning what happened to YA. For every 20 books there may be 1 truly great one. When did this become the norm? It could be me. It could be that over the past year, I have changed and become too busy, but I think that it’s because of that I’m okay with passing over books that are not for ...more
danielle ☾
Heart of Ash is so much better than Blood and Salt. Honestly, I think a lot of the problems I had with the first book were actually plot points that helped build this sequel, so I'm not as bitter as I had been by the time I'd finished it. I'm so glad Kim Liggett finally gave us one too, because I was so much more invested in this book compared to its predecessor.
Hannah Michaels
I really didn't love this. When Blood and Salt first came out, I read it and savored it and took it into my heart like something that belonged there. This book didn't belong. It was rushed, the storyline was weak, and it felt like this book had absolutely nothing to do with the first one. The characters have the same names and some of the same history, but the first book was so full of authenticity and a genuine feel for the characters, and this book is like a half rate version of a follow up. E ...more
Lauren Watts
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read an ARC copy of this book so... maybe there's still a chance that it could get better? This book was bad.... physically painful for me to read. The timing was all over the place. Two pages to cover important plot points and way too many pages explaining stupid, unnecessary details. The characters were boring and one-dimensional and I found myself really not caring. It was like the bad parts of "The Fire Sermon" mixed with the bad parts of "New Moon". Do not recommend.
Tina Cady
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, horror
Kim Friant
Heart of Ash did not live up to the standard Blood and Salt set. The first book was on a smaller, more intimate scale that held the tension really well. Then Heart of Ash turned it into a global conspiracy that just took away from the original story. Where Ash used to be a mature teen who had to deal with a lot of adult stuff and did it capably, she then turned into that annoying teen who flip flopped on every little thing and spent most of the book talking herself in and out of loving Dane. OMG ...more
Endine
Nicole
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of horror and teen romance
Recommended to Nicole by: friend
Shelves: already-owned
Much as the first book in the series, the horror romance vibe is real. This book benefits from not having to setup and build the world from the ground up. The exploration of power structures within the immortals and how they interact with the culture at large is a great expansion of the world.

It keeps to the same themes and horror vibe as the first. It explores their relationship and, while still in many areas unhealthy, their attempts to work through that power dynamic at play in the first book
Jen
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cult
Ash has escaped from Quivira with Beth but Rhys has disappeared and Dane has been possessed by Coronado. Although she's now blood bound to Dane, Ash no longer trusts him since she found out he's the one that has been betraying her family. They've also learned that while Ash's blood can heal, Rhys' can kill.

Dane begs Ash to join him in Spain. He wants to stop the council and save Rhys. He says he's stronger than Coronado, but Ash isn't sure she believes him. But, she will save Rhys at any cost,
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-series
This was a wonderful conclusion to this story. It had been s while since I read the first one, so I was worried that I would forget the characters or wouldn’t feel that same connection. I worried for nothing. I was immediately sucked into Ash and Dane’s story. I also thought the writing was incredible. It was filled with darkness and beautiful descriptions and some snarky banter. I loved this story. Highly recommended!
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
A good ending to the series, I enjoyed the way all of the loose ends were tied up. I hate to be a critic but one thing I’d have enjoyed was an epilogue to see how our characters are dealing with the aftermath of things. I don’t think I fell into Heart of Ash as much as I did Blood and Salt but I still Enjoyed it immensely. Kim Liggett still remains on my “must read” author shelves.
Taylor Fenner
Dec 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 10% - This book felt like it was on a completely different planet than Blood and Salt and I found myself wondering, "have I missed something from book one? Am I forgetting the plot that much?" Nope, which Blood and Salt was amazing and a breeze to read, this book was nothing but confusion for me.
Nereida Luna
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart of Ash by Kim Ligget is really interesting, I enjoyed reading this book because it is all about fantasy, love, traveling, war, tension, and passion between the main characters Ash and Dane. I would recommend ¨Heart of ash¨ to all the people who like to read books of suspense, mystery, horror, and action, with romance at the same time.
Kolleen
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this sequel was much better than the first book, actually. While some plot points and characters continued to be overplayed, I think it is a very strong YA novel. I am also thankful that the series ended here. Too many times, authors ruin a story by letting it go on too long. Good book, quick read, and a nice little surprise twist at the end.
Karen Johnson
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved. Was great to see what happened to the characters I had grown to love in Blood & Salt. Enough twists and turns to keep me turning the pages and not wanting to put it down. A must-read! ...more
Kat
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I actually read this book first and didn't read the first book, but it was still amazing! I thought that it was sorta slow, but that could be because I didn't read the first book so whatever. Anyways, the ending was dramatic and intense and I loved it. I definitely would recommend this series.
Kennedy
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this series, especially Heart of Ash. My only complaint is that the last 1/4th of the book feels a little rushed. I wish it could have been a little longer, but maybe that's because I want to read more of this story 😂
Alexis Stankewitz
This was interesting. While it had some quotable lines, I thought it was too short for my liking. The ending seemed rushed.
Jaime
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, so good. Worth the wait, for sure!
Doree Weller
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy sequel to Blood and Salt, this book kept me guessing right up until the satisfying ending.
Morgan Lowry
Honestly not a huge fan of the writing style, it left out too many details which caused many scenes to be more confusing than anything else. but I enjoyed the story and its uniqueness overall.
Windy Kahler
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ash's twisted tale of tortured love and the struggle with deception and darkness continues in a different setting amongst a mixture of old and new characters as more of her sinister family history unravels further. I didn't savor this book as much as Blood and Salt, but it was a satisfactory conclusion to the duology.
Rayne
Feb 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
at least the first one tried to be original. this one was just a mess of nonsensical world-building, tropes, meandering plot lines and a 200+ page justification for a terrible love interest.
Nikki

• Sacrées Sorcières
  • Harrow Lake
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Unbirthday
  • Chrysalis (Project Nemesis, #3)
  • Genesis (Project Nemesis, #2)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire #1)
  • Embers & Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Red Hood
  • The Serious Goose
  • 5 More Sleeps 'til Christmas

Kim Liggett, originally from the rural midwest, moved to New York City to pursue a career in the arts. She's the author of Blood and Salt, Heart of Ash, The Last Harvest (Bram Stoker Award Winner), The Unfortunates, and The Grace Year. Kim spends her free time studying tarot and scouring Manhattan for rare vials of perfume and the perfect egg white cocktail.

Blood and Salt (2 books)
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)