Start by marking “True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)” as Want to Read:
True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)

True Fiction

(Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  13,391 ratings  ·  1,130 reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Lee Goldberg hits the ground running in a breakneck thriller where truth and fiction collide for the unluckiest writer alive.

Years before, the CIA enlisted Ian to dream up terrorism scenarios to
Published April 1st 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about True Fiction, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paul Cereste Victoria’s last name, which sounds Asian to me, was given on page 19 when her character was introduced.

·  13,391 ratings  ·  1,130 reviews

Start your review of True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
Larry H
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this one.

Hollywood, instead of "rebooting" a franchise for the umpteenth time, adapting another television or Broadway show into a movie, or launching another comic book character, I have your next property right here. Lee Goldberg's newest novel, True Fiction already reads like a movie, combining a little bit of television shows like Castle with movies like the Jack Reacher series. It's a quick read, with appealing characters and a frenetic pace.

Ian Ludlow is an author of
James Thane
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lee Goldberg is a very funny guy. He's also a prolific writer with something on the order of five dozen books to his credit, along with a host of television shows for which he has written scripts, and he's brought all of that experience to bear on his newest book, True Fiction, which is a terrific read.

The protagonist, Ian Ludlow, is, like Goldberg, a very successful writer. Ludlow has build a career around a series of novels featuring Clint Straker, an action hero in the mold of Jack Reacher or
Matt
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Needing a quick read, I turned to this series debut by Lee Goldberg, about which I have heard many good things. When an airplane crashes in Hawaii not long after take-off, the news outlets begin streaming coverage and countless people gasp in horror. However, thriller writer Ian Ludlow is not one of them. Hiding in his Seattle hotel while on a book tour, Ludlow knows that with this event, his life is in imminent danger. Coaxed out of hiding by his author escort, Margo French, Ludlow tells of how ...more
ij
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick fun read!!!
Tulay
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun to read.

If you're looking for real true fiction book, this isn't the one. Silly, somewhat eccentric story. Dog walker is his driver, successful writer is being driven around for book signing events. His terrorist scenario he wrote during the CIA event becomes real, and he's being hunted. Couldn't stop laughing in some parts.
Kevin
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Ian Ludlow is hoping to work on his next thriller while on his book promotion tour. He sees an airliner crash down on the beaches of Hawaii and realizes he may have caused the event. Years before he wrote scenarios for the CIA showing creative methods terrorists could attack the US. Suddenly he realizes the two near death accidents he had are the CIA trying to kill him.

I enjoyed the first half but I felt this one lost its way.
Dee Arr
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“True Fiction” was my introduction to author Lee Goldberg. I had never read any of his previous books (nor seen any of the television shows he had written), so I had no idea what to expect.

My first reaction was that this book was an over-the-top, totally unbelievable story written by a new author (hadn’t yet seen Mr. Goldberg’s extensive bio) who had spent way too much time searching the Internet for conspiracy stories. As I continued to read, it dawned on me that the author had penned an incred
Ed
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a uniquely original plot premise Will Cross, the head of a major security company poses as a CIA chief looking for imaginative potential 9/11-type terrorist attacks from a small group of thriller writers in the interest of being proactive in defense of the homeland. Ian Ludlow, a successful screenwriter and thriller author suggests a "what if" scenario; terrorists hack the automatic pilot of a jetliner and crash it. Ian quickly forgets the meeting until three years later when a jetliner crash ...more
HJ
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pleasant surprise.

Nothing ground breaking, but very entertaining and with enough of a fast pace to keep the reader engaged, but not so fast that the reader struggles to keep up with the action. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next book.
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
The idea of this novel is fantastic and what I thought would be a different, but similar, book for #CJSReads. What I got was something completely different than I had anticipated.

I am sincerely baffled on how I feel about this book. Is it satirical? Author Ian Ludlow's writing terrorism scenarios for the CIA start coming true. At least, he thought they were CIA. Ok, let me back pedal a little bit... I know authors do a lot of research for their writing, but this doesn't make them an expert, righ
Ms.pegasus
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ms.pegasus by: the positive review of Goodreads friend James Thane
Shelves: thriller, fiction
There's something beguiling about a novelist as the protagonist. It's the kind of character that conjures a balance of innocent gullibility and wry observation. Author Lee Goldberg delivers with his character Ian Ludlow, formerly the successful screenwriter of an embarrassingly ridiculous buddy cop TV series featuring Vine who is part plant and his human partner Hollywood (Hollywood and Vine, get it?) Ludlow has gone on to forge a successful series of action novels featuring an undercover agent ...more
J.D.
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"He was a man on the run, though careful not to exceed the fifty-five-miles-per-hour speed limit."

This has all the classic thriller elements: dark conspiracies by shadowy and terrifyingly powerful figures, implacable and inexorable assassins, a beautiful damsel drawn into danger--but instead of the hero being some variant on the archetypal thriller hero I call Bolt Studly (the former Navy Seal/Army Ranger/whatever whose only flaw is that he rushes headlong into danger), we have nerdy TV-hack-tur
Paula
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly credible fiction

Given the state of affairs in the world currently, there's not one concept in this book that I found unbelievable.
It hurts to say that, frankly, because good fiction should be at least partially incredible. This IS good fiction, but all too credible.
Well, except for the half man, half plant cop...
Fast pace, likeable and detestable characters, an all-too-believable plot and viola! A great story.
Jim A
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A pleasant mixture of action/adventure and tongue in cheek humor. This novel will bring many conspiracy theory followers to orgasm. It will also cause those who believe in the New World Order to nod their collective heads in agreement. Something for everybody in this one. Even a TV character who made his fame and fortune as a plant (vine) who was a cop. Some laugh out loud humor situations and scenarios.

I recommend this one to any who like a good laugh while they read.
Angela Neary
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Action packed and hilarious. This line says it all, “The books were about Michael Sang, an ex-priest turned assassin and restaurateur, who was an expert in all the martial, erotic, and culinary arts.” Don’t miss this witty, tongue in cheek page-turner.
Mark Baker
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2018
When terrorists take control of a plane leaving Hawaii and crash it into the island, the entire country is horrified. But none more so than thriller writer Ian Ludlow. You see, he had suggested just the twist on 9/11 that happened here to the CIA a few years back during a brainstorming session to help them come up with worst case scenarios. Within a few hours, Ian is certain that the CIA is out to kill him to silence him. Using every trick in the book – tricks he knows thanks to the books he’s w ...more
Jay Williams
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Story

Goldberg is imaginative and a gifted story teller. The characters in this story are unique and wild. The entire story could be true because it is so realistic. Once you start reading you can't stop. The suspense is palpable, with occasional bursts of dark humor. Ian Ludlow is an everyman not a super hero, but his imagination and creativity make him a success. I want to read more about him.
Jack Webb
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chuckle-worthy

Almost self-aggrandizing, this story of an author bailing himself out of trouble by acting like one of his characters is a lot of fun to read. Nasty plots, curious characters, and improbable but inspired methods to deal with it all made for an enjoyable time.
Andy
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable parody of spy thrillers with silly humor (Publicity Hound!--a TV show about publicist who becomes a dog) lightening an actual spy thriller with a typical evil conspiracy.
I got this because the author writes the Mr. Monk books; those are funnier.
Mary Shotliff
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very boring

A story inside a story of which neither one were interesting. I will not read another book from this author
Bob Mayer
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought my life before becoming an author was exciting. But in this book, the author becomes caught up in a real thriller.
A fun, fast-paced thriller that hits on all points.
Dorothy Stone
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

I hardly ever give a 5 Star rating. but this book deserves it. Well written and well thought out with believable characters and plots. Many twists and turns until the end keep you guessing until the end. Would recommend this book for anyone who loves an outstanding thriller. In case you don't believe in The New World Order/ The Illuminati I suggest you research them.
Catriona McInally McCall
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
worth every minute of my time

absolutely enjoyed this story. The characters were fun and believable. good plot. the author balanced the pace and length of this book just right for me. I read it from start to finish while only briefly sitting my kindle down to refill my glass of wine. highly recommend!
Rbucci
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of those books that was so intense I had to go to the back and start reading backwards. If you like intense thrillers, this is the book for you.
alexander silagin
Mar 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not worth the time

Garbage most of the time. I have jumped through do many pages because it was so painful. It rose a bit above one star at some moments but they were exception. I would not pay any money for it
Lexxi Kitty
The book reminds me, quite distantly, of Alfred Hitcock's 'North by Northwest' starring Cary Grant as a non-spy pulled into a spy thriller by accident (shared a name with spy . . . more or less), and Bill Murray's 'The Man Who Knew Too Little', which starred Murray, again, as a non-spy pulled into a spy thriller by accident. As non-spies, they did a lot better than expected in a spy situation.

The main character in this book, Ian Ludlow, is a non-spy pulled into a spy situation, but doesn't have
Jen
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
True Fiction lands on the light side of the crime/mystery/suspense scale.

From the blurb: When a passenger jet crashes onto the beaches of Waikiki, bestselling thriller writer Ian Ludlow knows the horrific tragedy wasn't an accident.

Years before, the CIA enlisted Ian to dream up terrorism scenarios to prepare the government for nightmares they couldn't imagine. Now one of those schemes has come true, and Ian is the only person alive who knows how it was done...and who is behind the plot. That mak
Karin
Ian Ludlow is a best selling author with a broken arm and a blown up house, who is glad to be on a book signing tour so his publisher can pay his expenses while he is basically homeless. Margot French is his author escort whose other job is as a dog sitter. He shows up for a book signing shortly after a an airplane has crashed into a building in Hawaii. Oh, did I fail to mention that this is how the book opens? The problem is that when Ludlow hears about it he realizes in horror that this was do ...more
Harvey
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, fast, engaging read.
Harold
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Total Entertainment! I really expected to not like this book and put it aside after a few pages and then into my craparootie shelf. Instead I totally enjoyed it. It's a satire, a spoof, it's funny and actually had me laughing out loud at a few parts. I see this book was released April 1st of this year. Very apt.
Ok- It's a spy story, a conspiracy story and a comedy wrapped into one. It's nice to read heavy stuff but it's also nice to just be entertained and have fun. BTW - A look at the our hero'
Play Book Tag: [Poll Book Tally] True Fiction by Lee Goldberg 3 stars 1 7 Apr 12, 2020 06:17PM

• Takeoff (Seth Walker #1)
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
  • The Debriefing
  • The Rescue (Ryan Decker #1)
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thriller, #1)
  • The King Tides (Lancaster & Daniels, #1)
  • Legacy of Lies (Bocephus Haynes, #1)
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Rain Will Come
  • An Invisible Client
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • The Killer Collective (John Rain, #10; Ben Treven #4; Livia Lone #2.5)
  • The Names of the Dead
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks #1)
  • A Gambler's Jury
  • It Ends with Her
#1 New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award and two-time Shamus Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the co-author of the Fox & O'Hare series with Janet Evanovich (The Heist, The Chase, The Job, The ...more

Ian Ludlow Thrillers (3 books)
  • Killer Thriller (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #2)
  • Fake Truth (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #3)

News & Interviews

“It also made the government secretly eager to go far beyond that, at least until Edward Snowden ruined things.” 0 likes
“Universal City Oakwood, a complex of furnished temporary-stay apartments on Barham Boulevard. The Oakwood was popular with businessmen, airline pilots and stewardesses, recently divorced fathers, and actors staying in LA for auditions, episodic guest shots, or movie shoots. Visiting assassins liked it, too. The best part of staying there was the sex. Unless you had leprosy, it was almost impossible not to get laid. And even then, your chances were still pretty good.” 0 likes