Start by marking “Modified: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Modified: Volume 1

Modified: Volume 1

(Modified #1)

Kate has enough problems - a boss that’s a little too friendly, a sex life that’s non-existent, and a cat with zero tolerance for late meals. The last thing she needs is to be kidnapped, even if it is by a hot Brit.

Afterwards, she’s mysteriously returned and has no memory of what happened. She learns, with the help of an eccentric sexy woman, that she’s been modified - giv
Published August 4th 2017 by Pronoun

To ask other readers questions about Modified, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modified

Start your review of Modified: Volume 1
John Winston
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know what to expect with Modified. What I got was a lot of fun. Sometimes that’s what reading should be: just fun. Kat Stiles does it with great writing in this first volume, and I hope there are many more volumes to come. Hmmm…let me see what do we have? A little suspense, a little mystery, and a little supernatural that turns into a whole lot of fun and an unexpected serious ending.

Stiles draws you into Kate’s world with a hypnotic, in-your-face, first-person POV that sometimes breaks
Marquette
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haha! I smiled the whole time reading this. I have a new favorite author in Kat stiles. I looking forward to volume 2 and seeing what happens next to Kate.
Mairy
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, witty and super dramatic.
The style is dynamic.
Sick cover.
I think this book would be better as a comic.
Mm, strong language, don't read if you don't like that kind of wording.
It has actually started to change my mind about sci-fi, which is not my favourite genre.
Well done!
Sharon Stevenson
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I loved this! It's a short first part of a serial and definitely made me want to read more. An entertaining read with a great sense of humour and an awesome main character, I'm hooked and can't wait to see what comes next.
Loredana (Bookinista08)
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
For such a short instalment it was really good! Unexpectedly so. And those covers are a killer! 😁
Richard Schwindt
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate is 30 and single, blessed with a curvy body, a computer coders’ mind and extra helpings of snark. She works with a friend, and a boss who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of sexual harassment. Her life goes weird quickly when a number of odd characters enter it. Then she discovers that she is now somehow different.
Modified is a serialized book by author Kat Stiles, who I think is a clever business woman as well as a readable writer of amusing prose. This book is fun, shortish and – here’s the
Steve Thomas
Star rating withheld for a variety of reasons.

I found this one while I was trolling for comic fantasy novels to read. Its placement in that subgenre is giving me heartburn. On one hand, we do have snarky narration. On the other hand, the term "sexual situations" in the disclaimer is code for "on screen rape attempt." When I see book published in 2018 and placed in the comedy section with a disclaimer about sex, it sets my expectations for...not rape, I guess?

The other thing, which the author was
Lukasz
Jan 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
In moments of weakness and mental fatigue, I enjoy brain candies. This, though, made my brain mushy. I can see that some readers will enjoy sarcasm enhanced to the maxcore mode. I'm just not one of them. The characters are utterly flat, the protagonist is utterly shallow, and this short story (40 pages) is a waste of time.
Eric
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, promising beginning

Fairly well-written and does seem to set the stage for later chapters, and I am interested to find out what happens later. Could be more description eg of people, though.
H. Ferry
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story grips you no matter what presumptions you hold against it. Kate is funny in a weird way, and easy to connect with (that may be because I'm a nerd myself, and I like cats - just kidding). And the story just leaves out enough for you to crave for the rest. I'd never read in the paranormal genre before, and I think this was a perfect gateway.
Kim
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Modified is a fun, quick read. The story line is interesting, but because of the short length, no much character development has taken place. There are a few editing issues, but not enough to take away from the story.
C.W. Ashley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is odd, it has an amazing lead character and her internal monologues are snappy, releatable and fascinating. I'm not a woman in her 30s but I had zero problem identifiying with Kate and this is due to the stellar writing.

That being said the supporting characters are flat, predictable and dull. This might be due to the first person style of writing but they seem almost like afterthoughts and mirages rather than actual people. Kate is most interesting when thinking about herself, anytime
Gilbert Stack
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Let’s start with a little truth in advertising. Modified is neither a short story nor a novel, it is the opening chapters in a larger story. It is not the first book in a series in the traditional sense. There is no resolution of the plot nor a comfortable stopping point for the reader to wait at until they get the next book. Presumably if you bought the boxed set you would get the equivalent of a novel. I don’t know. I haven’t decided if I’m going to invest in more of the series yet.

It’s unfor
Cheryl Drake johnson
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate is having a bad day she stops for cigarettes on her way home needs a light and she meets a very handsome man but what she thought would happen didn't and she wakes without memory the next morning. She is not sure about anything but she goes to work, she has a boss who is a creep and has been sexually harassing her but she has not reported him to the director. He ask her to come to lunch with her other co-workers she declined and went to the cafeteria where she saw anime girl which was weird ...more
Linda
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, but short

I'm not a fan of serials because just when things get interesting, the volume ends. Not fair to folks to rope them in, then end. For the most part, it was fun reading about Kate's modification situation and her intro to Viola. Not sure who the villain truly is though. Steve vs. Viola as both are telling her not to trust the other. Kate's boss was a real douche and I'm glad things ended where they did. Not a fan of rape, but would have preferred a less permanent ending for t
Tristan
This is a very short episode of a recurring series. I tend to find that superheroes don’t translate well from comics to novels, from the many books I have tried to get into and failed, but this is an exception. It’s engagingly written with interesting characters, adult themes, profanity, humour and violence, making a good package. It stands on its own without trying to replicate a comic. Definitely something to follow up on. A good quality, intriguing, and fun read.
Tre Talbot
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m new to this author and honestly didn’t even read the blurb, I noticed the book cover on a blog and figured I’d give the book a shot. I’m intrigued and hooked from the very beginning, Kate’s story being told though her eyes has my mind going in so many different directions as to what can be happening to her and now with Vi by her side I want to know more and continue with this series. I’m feeling this Sci-Fi storyline hard, highly recommend click.
Angela Sanders
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. I want to know what happens.

Without giving away spoilers, I have to admit this serial is unique. I'm still trying to figure out what the MC is... that being said, her perv boss skeeved me out. Disturbing. But, I won't say anymore. I just downloaded the complete box set from Kindle Unlimited. I *have* to know what happens next!
4.5 stars!
Rose Arbor
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Piece of the Story

I knew it going in, but in case you didn't catch it, this book is just a piece of a story. This doesn't bother me, because I have Kindle Unlimited. But if you don't, it is going to cost you for every little piece the author hands out. That being said, this looks like an interesting story. I think I will be up late tonight reading chapter after chapter.
Read THS with CydneyKaye
Two thumbs up

I love it! I refused to read the synopsis, so I hope I'm not off about what I took from the book. But a sort of witty semi superhero type book with the main characters being females that are kicking ass, yes please! Super excited to read the next volume.
Caitlyn
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not so good

Well, here is another one. Buy the next one to see how the first one ends. End the first one and if it is good I'll buy the next one. Unfortunately the first one wasn't that good.
J
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
good beginning to series. received as part of box set (1-5) leaves you with a cliffhanger wanting more.

this book was given to me for free at my request (as part of a box set) and I provided this voluntary review.
*based on the audio version
Cathie Hicks
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Novel idea.. Really liked it, but, I don't !like these chapter books! Am not quite sure where this is going, but I'm game to find out!
David
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
interesting, dragged a bit fer my taste, initially. not fer kids. generally, well written, totally believable characters
bryan richter
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Cool little teaser that gives you just enough to whet your appetite for more. Looking forward to reading the rest of Kate's story.
Elise Ravenclaw
The cliffhanger was kind of painful.
James Riley
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start

Thus was a great start to a new series. I look forward to reading more of it. Give it a shot.
Aaron Wang
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book for free, and it's a short quick read. The writing is very good as are the plot and characters. Well worth the time to try this series as well as more books from this author.
Crystal Fenerty
Apr 17, 2020
Harold Neighbors
rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Kellie's Diary #1
  • THE TROUBLE WITH MY BOSS #1
  • Blood of Stone (Shattered Magic - Stone Blood, #1)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • Dinosaur Lake
  • Dark Warrior Alliance; Boxset (Dark Warrior Alliance, #5 To #7 & #8)
  • A Tale of Two Reapers (Reapers #1)
  • Free Comic Book Day 2019 (All Ages) (Dark Horse FCBD)
  • The First Voyage (Pets and Masters in Space #1)
  • Protected (Ariya Adams Trilogy #1)
  • Fire-Hot Aunt Sampler
  • Is Murder By Candlestick Still A Thing? (Diva Delaney Mysteries Book 1)
  • Rise Like a Goddess (Surprise Goddess Mystery, #0.5)
  • The Witching Hour: 11 Enchanting Novels Featuring Witches, Wizards, Vampires, Shifters, Ghosts, Fae, and More!
  • The Witch of the North Pole (Cinnamon Mercy Claus, #1)
  • The Love and Creed of Sae Maki #1
  • Donald Duck's Halloween Scream #1: FCBD 2015 (Disney Specials)
Originally a Jersey girl, sunny Texas is where I now call home, in a town way up north in the panhandle called Wellington. Along with the man of my dreams, I have two children: a rambunctious little girl and a sweet but vocal little boy. Three cats, three dogs and an inordinate amount of pet hair complete my household. For fun I like to read YA, horror, and existentialist fiction, as well as watch ...more

Modified (5 books)