Start by marking “Heart of the Fae (The Otherworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Fae (The Otherworld, #1)

Heart of the Fae

(The Otherworld #1)

Beauty and the Beast meets Irish Mythology in this sweeping retelling of the beloved fairytale....

Once upon a time…

A plague sweeps across the emerald hills of Uí Néill, leaving a young midwife’s father with months to live. To save her people, Sorcha makes a deal with a dangerous Fae. She must travel across the sea, through merrow and kelpie lands, to find a forgotten kin
ebook, 1st Edition, 350 pages
Published November 26th 2017 by Emma Hamm (first published November 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Fae, please sign up.
Emma Hamm Zero percent from Sarah J Maas! I have never read any of her work, although I know it's very popular.

Fae romance is a tried and true genre. If anythi…more

Fae romance is a tried and true genre. If anything, I'd suggest Juliet Marillier inspired this story more than any YA novel <3 (less)
Emma Hamm Hello! This is part of a duology, so you'll need to follow up with Veins of Magic to get the whole story <3 …moreHello! This is part of a duology, so you'll need to follow up with Veins of Magic to get the whole story <3 (less)

Start your review of Heart of the Fae (The Otherworld, #1)
sunny
I'm so shook by how beautifully written, gorgeous and utterly magical this book is. From the beginning to the end I was so mesmerized by the gorgeous writing and world building in this book. The romance had me screaming with feels and all the characters in this book are so wonderful that I just want to wrap them all up in warm blankets.

Sorcha is a healer and mid wife in her town, Uí Néill, where she lives with her father and sisters in their brothel. In her town, the plague of black beetles is
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
*Rated 4.5/5 stars!
Review to come
Elaine
If you want Irish Beauty & the Beast, go read Marillier's Heart's Blood . (I was a touch underwhelmed by that one, but cripes, at least it had some sense of the Irish landscape and history.)

God, where to start with this one...

I'll say what I enjoyed first, since it's a shorter list: the imagery of geode crystals in place of blood filling wounds is interesting and, to me, original! Some of the quips and snark were amusing (most, come to think of it -- just not employed nearly enough). Also, ni
NAT.orious reads ☾
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.75 fairytale-enchanted ★★★✬✩
This book is for you if… you suspect an intricate combination of Celtic fairytale x beauty & beast is the retelling you've needed all your life. Be aware that it gives quite a lot of room to romance.

Overall.
My heart started pounding in anticipation of a beauty-&-the-beast x Irish-Celtic-mythology crossover when I discovered Heart of the Fae. At least to my knowledge, Celtic mythology and fiction don't mix well in the literary world yet, mostly because authors
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Unfortunately I'm going to dnf at 58%.

The hero and heroine were extremely likeable. The cast of characters were really great too. The writing and the narration were amazing. But the pacing was too slow for me, and I wasn't feeling the romantic connection between the H and h.
Sara
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was, rather unfortunately, not for me. I was expecting Celtic mythology, sweeping atmospheric tension and a slow building romance. Instead this felt like the most contrived relationship I’ve ever read, with a plot that plays second place to the rather bland main characters.

Sorcha is a midwife, who lives above a brothel, who somehow makes a random deal with the Fae to save her family from a beetle plague and ends up living on an island with the brooding Eamonn. Eamonn is the former high pri
Dianne
We never outgrow fairytales. There’s nothing better than believing in the fantastic, in the impossible, and especially believing in a love that can conquer all, even if it’s only for a few hours.
Emma Hamm’s HEART OF THE FAE is one of those love stories and like all great fairytales, it began, once upon a time…

When a plague ravages Sorcha’s land, as a healer and midwife, Sorcha will do anything to save her people and her family from certain death. She strikes a bargain with a powerful dark Fae w
Melanie A. *mostly on hiatus*
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku, fantasy
4 STARS!
"Who am I to judge others for the choices they make?"
This was really good. Emma Hamm is a great writer who has a seriously creepy imagination, lol.

The positives:

(1) The heroine had a backbone made of steel and a truly generous heart, which made reading this one a real pleasure.
"One must decide whether to live in fear, or courage."
(2) The banter between Sorcha and Eamonn had some stellar moments.
"Have you no care nor discretion for your own survival?
Emma Hamm
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

Can't wait until Heart of the Fae is released? There are plenty of ways to stay in touch!

Pre Order today!

Find me on my Facebook for daily updates, snippets, and fan art!

Follow my Blog for extra content, information on characters, and bits of writing that won't be in the book!

Join in my Mailing List for emailed updates!

And of course, add this book to your "To Read" to be notified when it's released!

Viktoria Winter
"Spirits of the East and Air, I welcome you into our circle and bid you well tidings. On this sacred night of Samhain, come dance with us. Spirits of the South and Fire, I welcome you to feast with us on this sacred night. Spirits of the West and Water, I welcome you to drink and be merry with us tonight. Join our revelries on this sacred eve. Spirits of the North and Earth, I welcome you to this hall and ask that you tell us stories from ages past. Speak easy and loosen thy tongue on this sacre ...more
Sentranced Jem
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is it!
I've found it...
I cannot believe I haven't read this book before yesterday.
A Beauty and The Beast re-telling? Are you kidding me?!
I loved this book! It combined my love of classic fairytale and Irish mythology. Wohoo! ❤️❤️❤️
Cors
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
ACOWAR fans should read this!
RTC
Carvanz
When Sorcha’s father is nearing death and her family is in danger from the same fate, she makes a bargain with an ancient Tuatha De Danann. Knowing the dangers of such an arrangement, she sets out to find a hidden isle that houses a banished king.

description

Eamonn’s rightful place is King of the Seelie Fae but when his body becomes disfigured, he is tortured then sent to Hy-brasil where he hides away with his anger and rage. When the fiery human woman washes upon the shore he finds himself both tormented a
milou  ☕️
1.) Heart of the Fae ★★★★★
2.) Veins of Magic ★★★★

“Something, or someone, uncurled deep within her soul. A woman she barely recognized, who knew how to take what she wanted and asked for the world.”

All of the stars 🌟

Sorcha works as a midwife in Uí Néill where she lives in a brothel with her family. A curse of black beetles has grown worse over the years and a lot of innocent people are suffering from the curse. When her father becomes a victim to the black beetles Sorcha decides to leave behind
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
March Theme BotM at the URR™ -- Theme: Mod Flava 2019 - Maraya's Choice

WHAT THIS BOOK WANTED TO BE:
“I, too, have been at the mercy of men, more times than I wish to recount. My mother would tell you the best way to answer them is to remain steadfast, quiet, and continue doing the right thing.” Macha’s eyes flashed brilliant green. “I am not a woman, but sword and shield. I will carve my own path or I will force others to create it for me.”
[....]
Their gazes met and Macha smiled. “You are t
Uma    | Books.Bags.Burgers
(I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

CHARACTERS

I extremely enjoyed reading about the feisty and driven Sorcha who is the main character in the book. She’s a midwife but wants to be a proper healer. Living in a man’s world, her opinions on the plague ravaging their world is ignored and her ideas fall on deaf ears. It was wonderful to see our driven heroine constantly challenging this, a trait that stands out among other characters in the b
Brenda ✨Delirious, Disjointed, Digressive, and (highly) Dramatic Rambles✨
First Read 05/09/2018
5 perfect, shining, sparkling, glimmering I can't believe a book this beautiful exists STARS

Reality crashes against Fairytales, and my heart just can't take it.

I love faes.
I love fantasy books.
I love the Otherworld and every creature in it.
And I love this book, so much.

Beautiful beyond words, I never expected this kind of writing, the easy flow of storytelling, this fantastic execution, the smoothness of the character's development, so fluid and coherent.

I'm in love. I'
Somia
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect, downloaded this somewhat unsure if the sneak peek I'd taken was a promise of a great afternoon read or a tempting morsel sending me down a path of disappointment. Happy to report that I completely enjoyed this read, the story and characters had me engaged so much so that I lost track of time, and started book 2 immediately after finishing this one.

This book introduces us to the tale of human healer and midwife Sorcha, and Eamonn, a fierce warrior and a banished Fae,
belle ✨
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 STARS!!!

Heart of the Fae is a beautifully written Beauty and the Beast retelling, and I'm so happy to have discovered it (and this author!)

description

I asked my friends to recommend me great self-published books, and this was one of the top recommendations! As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. Retelling? Check! Beauty and the Beast? Check! Amazing romance, dangerous Fae, Irish mythology, and unique twists? Check, check, check, check!

description

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The writing was great, and
mo
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
little mini-review, since i don't know when i'll have the time to give this a full review:

if you like your fairytale retellings creative, character-focused, and with a bit of the sexytimes, you'll very likely enjoy heart of the fae. hamm's vision of medieval ireland and the faerie lands are wonderfully depicted, and i really, really loved sorcha - a great example of a character committed to healing and pacifism while also appreciating moral complexity.

(view spoiler)
Maria Dimitrova
A retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairytale Heart of the Fae is a great way to unwind after a long day. It's not something very original but it has its charm. Mostly in the face of Sorcha who has a heart too big for her own good. I particularly liked her background and her "family" because those make it even more impressive that she's such a nice person - one willing to help even someone who tried to kill her. And she seems to have more secrets to tell so I hope i'll soon have the time to ...more
Joleen (starlightbooktales)
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
5 Stars

A brilliant retelling of a classic fairytale. Sorcha, a midwife is on a mission to save her people and on this mission, she meets Eamonn, a king of the fae. No matter how much both Sorcha and Eamonn try to stay away from each other, their fates seemed tied together.

I was blown away by this book, Emma Hamm created not one but two strong main characters. I am in love with Sorcha, she is smart, strong-willed, and doesn't take crap from anyone. And Eamonn, he is beautiful, sweet, and so stubb
Linaria
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales, fantasy, fae
This is a bit of a weird one for me to rate. This book SHOULD have been a slam-dunk. This book has:

*Irish mythology
*Fae
*BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
*A prince with a curse

This should have been the PERFECT book for me....but I kept comparing it to Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier . I think that was about half of the problem I had with the book, the other were the odd choices for the book.

Sorcha (I love this name) is a healer to a house of prostitutes. Her 'father' is sick. By father, I mean the man who adopted her and runs the broth
Angela Magic Art
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a Beauty and The Beast retelling, plus faeries. I really enjoyed it! I read it really quick, good writing. But I wasn’t mind blown with any plot twists.
Crystal Cook
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2021
This was simply beautiful. Wow. I was not expecting to love this as much as I did. This is essentially an Irish Beauty and the Beast retelling and it was lovely.

This story follows Sorcha who is a healer/midwife trying to find a cure for a deadly plague that has taken over her town, and specifically her father. She meets a dark elf lord who tells her if she goes to find a lost and fallen king on a crumbling throne she will find the cure to the disease.

The fantasy world in this was so richly bea
Christine Spoors
I absolutely LOVED this Beauty and the Beast retelling inspired by Irish folklore. I’ve been meaning to read this book for a while now and I just adored it, I read the whole book so fast and just loved every second!

The way the author wove Irish folklore into the story was brilliant. I just adored the setting and always feel so much happiness reading Celtic folklore inspired stories! I also love Beauty and the Beast retellings so I definitely recommend to fans of books like A Court of Thorns and
Juliette Cross
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
***4.5 Stars***

When you're truly swept away to another time and place where fantasy becomes reality and you're smiling at the turn of every page, you know you're reading a true gem. Book one in this lovely fantasy romance captivated me immediately. Very reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite authors Juliet Marillier, I couldn't wait to see what Emma Hamm had waiting around every corner.

Sorcha is the kind of independent heroine I completely adore and root for all along the journey. And our w
Debbie
Addictive!

Wonderful adult fairy tale based on Beauty and the Beast. Beginning of a LONG series. Convincing universe with numerous fantasy species. Strong heroine, damaged hero. Great writing.

I'm too impatient to move on to Volume #2 to say more. There are many other rave reviews to peruse.
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Really enjoyed this one!!

A bit different. Interesting characters and a good first half of the characters within the story.
G.
Apr 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
1.5/5

I'm always down for a quality fantasy romance novel. Rest assured, my fellow fantasy romance fans, this is not it. It's a waste of time that leaves off without a resolution. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what there was to resolve here, since NOTHING happened. The worldbuilding and pacing are weird, the characters are wooden, the romance is non-existent. The only reason I'm adding a .5 is the cover. Unlike the book, it did its job and caught my attention. Too bad the story failed to hold
Main Character’s Family’s Profession 1 8 May 11, 2019 09:13AM
Unapologetic Roma...: Hamm, Emma // Heart of the Fae 7 30 Mar 28, 2019 04:45PM
Beta Reader Group: Beauty and the Beast/Irish Mythology 9 65 Sep 28, 2017 07:50PM

• A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • No Man Can Tame (The Dark-Elves of Nightbloom, #1)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Entreat Me
  • Eidolon (Wraith Kings, #2)
  • Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1)
  • Erik the Tempered (Dokiri Brides, #2)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Hollen the Soulless (Dokiri Brides, #1)
  • The Faceless Mage (Legends of Abreia, #1)
  • Prince of Never (Black Blood Fae, #1)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • Forbidden Heart (Talaenian Fae, #1)
  • A Wilderness of Glass (Wraith Kings)
  • Thief (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #1)
  • Enchanting the Elven Mage (Kingdom of Lore, #1)
  • Famine (The Four Horsemen, #3)

We all know you don't really care about reading my background. Enjoy Cap instead.

The Otherworld (6 books)
  • Veins of Magic (The Otherworld, #2)
  • Bride of the Sea (The Otherworld, #3)
  • The Faceless Woman (The Otherworld, #4)
  • The Raven's Ballad (The Otherworld, #5)
  • Curse of the Troll (The Otherworld, #6)

News & Interviews

“Who am I to judge others for the choices they make? If a soul is born to be wild, it will only grow angry with a leash wrapped around its neck. If a soul prefers order, then it will shrivel with too many choices. Neither is wrong.”
“You do not see darkness as evil?”
“Nothing is evil. The very idea was created by those who won wars and whished to paint their poor choices as the right thing. No one goes into war or battle thinking they are evil.”
15 likes
“Right and wrong suggests that there is only black and white. I refute that belief and instead replace it with my own.” 7 likes